ImageImageImageImageImage

Was Embiid dirty tonight?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

DangerZone13
Senior
And1: 685

Re: Was Embiid dirty tonight? 

Post#41 » by DangerZone13 » Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:32 am

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/c8ea45a7-3a3a-474b-99c4-b75b807dcd5e#RJBK_JJO.copy

"YOU CAN DO IT NICKY! KICK HIM IN HIS HAIRY BALLS!"

Somebody with Twitter wanna get this to Nurse?
:banghead: "Calling out trolls" by quoting them makes YOU part of the problem to those wise enough to use the Ignore button. Please don't add to board pollution.
Clay Davis
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,707

Post#42 » by Clay Davis » Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:32 am

Pooh_Jeter wrote:
KL78192020 wrote:
Pooh_Jeter wrote:As some others have mentioned Embiid is fairly clumsy and when you put that in a gigantic strong body who invites contact you're going to have physicality. Those saying he is dirty and needs to be suspended are overreacting. This is playoff basketball and he is going to obviously use his physical advantages against the Raptors.

This is where the having 5 guys that are 6'8 theory kinda fails. Against some teams you need a true big man like we did in 2019 in Gasol. Most other teams it wouldn't matter, but in this case it does going up against possibly the best big in the league for the next 5 years might be an issue.

Yup, the top 3 MVP candidates are all physical specimens in their own way and require some sort of size to deter. Jokic, Embiid and Giannis aren't going anywhere anytime soon.
Yup. He shouldn't trim his own game. He's a competitor and this ain't rec league.

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using RealGM mobile app
Steelo Green wrote:People are expecting way too much from Barnes out of the get go. He is a project player who will need 2-3 years before he makes a major impact.
execoftheyear
Analyst
And1: 2,171

Post#43 » by execoftheyear » Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:53 am

XtremeDunkz wrote:Not trying to troll.

What I saw was the biggest guy (by far) on the floor being swarmed by 2-3 smaller guys at all times. In those situations there's going to be contact every time. Embiid initiated some and the raps initiated some.

If Embiid was guarded by a 7 footer his elbows would hit shoulders, not faces like when the smaller guys crowd him.

He's clumsy for sure. But not dirty.

That's part of the risk of playing small against a giant like him.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I actually agree with this. I don't mind the physicality. Those hard contests by Embiid aren't dirty in my book. You come into the paint, expect some tough resistance to make you think twice about coming back the next possession, old school basketball at it's finest. The Raps lack of size inside is hurting them. You can't expect to get the same calls when you're seriously outmatched at that position. But you have to admit, some of those foul calls on us were pretty soft for a playoff game. Also felt like we got some soft calls in our favour so it kind of balances out.

Raps front office messed up in not acquiring at least a serviceable big at the deadline and I expect them to address it this offseason. This is a good Raptors team but there's definitely some holes on this squad. This is a long series and anything can happen so I'm obviously not counting us out but it's going to be tough to find a counter to Embiid and his size when Nurse doesn't have much to work with on our roster.
Mattatron
Starter
And1: 1,676

Post#44 » by Mattatron » Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:07 am

Not dirty, but extremely reckless. Bring back Aaron Baynes!
tdot_steel
Senior
And1: 646

Post#45 » by tdot_steel » Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:20 am

I think this has been the tactic since the last game where both Harden and Embiid are leading with their elbows.

The last game ended with the refs calling an offensive foul on Harden to end the game.

[streamable][/streamable]
RalphWiggum
RealGM
And1: 8,227

Post#46 » by RalphWiggum » Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:29 am

What I saw was the biggest guy (by far) on the floor being swarmed by 2-3 smaller guys at all times. In those situations there's going to be contact every time. Embiid initiated some and the raps initiated some.

If Embiid was guarded by a 7 footer his elbows would hit shoulders, not faces like when the smaller guys crowd him.

So if Barnes were 4 inches taller he'd have got a forearm to the bottom of his chin instead of upper lip/nose.

You're absolutely trolling.
Appostis
Veteran
And1: 2,240

Post#47 » by Appostis » Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:56 am

RalphWiggum wrote:

So if Barnes were 4 inches taller he'd have got a forearm to the bottom of his chin instead of upper lip/nose.

You're absolutely trolling.

"Not trolling but excuse me while I troll"

Delusional or trolling. A or B
agkagk
Analyst
And1: 1,884

Post#48 » by agkagk » Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:08 am

dalton749 wrote:Not really hes just lazy and plays like a little bitch. I would like him if he was dunking on our team and using his size appropriately but the guy flops around like someone skinner than Boucher.

Yup his flopping is comically, braindead and lazy.

Watching him flail around the court like the wind bruises him feels like satire of the leagues officiating.

Like if snl did a skit on how biased NBA reffing is, all they would have to do is mimic joel out there.

It just looks stupidly dishonest.

Edit: not joking, I feel like a lot of this is influenced by Kyle Lowry. only Joel is a flailing 7 footer and Lowry barely 6 with exceptional spacial awareness.

Also agree somebody need to put Joel on his ass. We don’t have a 7 footer to lean on him and put an elbow in his ribs all night. So somebody on the bench needs to put him on his Ass.

Double edit: a lot of This is on Masai. Too little depth and too many minutes for our starters. Our Style of play plus fatigue is a recipe for disaster.
tdot_steel
Senior
And1: 646

Post#49 » by tdot_steel » Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:38 am

agkagk wrote:
dalton749 wrote:Not really hes just lazy and plays like a little bitch. I would like him if he was dunking on our team and using his size appropriately but the guy flops around like someone skinner than Boucher.

Watching him flail around the court like the wind bruises him feels like satire of the leagues officiating.

Like if snl did a skit on how biased NBA reffing is, all they would have to do is mimic joel out there.

Edit: not joking, I feel like a lot of this is influenced by Kyle Lowry. only Joel is a flailing 7 footer and Lowry barely 6 with exceptional spacial awareness.

Also agree somebody need to put Joel on his ass. We don’t have a 7 footer to lean on him and put an elbow in his ribs all night. So somebody on the bench needs to put him on his Ass.

Double edit: a lot of This is on Masai. Too little depth and too many minutes for our starters. Our Style of play plus fatigue is a recipe for disaster.

I agree that for the next game every time Embiid touches the ball or goes into the paint foul him real hard. I am not suggesting hurting him. I am encouraging a stiff elbow to the neck and eye like he delivered last night.
Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,894

Post#50 » by Kingsway_fan » Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:41 am

Klaw22 wrote:Not dirty, but extremely reckless. Bring back Aaron Baynes!

Team needed jv...
agkagk
Analyst
And1: 1,884

Post#51 » by agkagk » Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:00 pm

tdot_steel wrote:
agkagk wrote:

I agree that for the next game every time Embiid touches the ball or goes into the paint foul him real hard. I am not suggesting hurting him. I am encouraging a stiff elbow to the neck and eye like he delivered last night.

This is where our lack of veterans and size shows.

Lowry and gasol knew the refs angles like muscle memory. Like knowing when a car is in your blind spot, Lowry and gasol knew how to angle so the refs could not see the undertook or an elbow leaning in on the ribs.
vulture
Head Coach
And1: 5,156

Post#52 » by vulture » Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:52 pm

Embiid will get what’s coming to him. He falls on every play to try to draw a foul and I can’t ever see that guy being healthy enough to win a championship.

He will wear down as the series goes and I guarantee he will go back to shooting over double teams again.
OhCanada1091
Veteran
And1: 2,122

Post#53 » by OhCanada1091 » Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:59 pm

This is it. Its the playoffs. Its not gonna get any easier against Giannis. And to be fair we kind of created these monsters if you think about it. Those losses to the Raptors made Embiid and Giannis learn this is how they have to play to create an advantage and prevent from being heartbroken again. So yeah Embiid's one dirty ass bitch but at the end of the day they won and people feel real good about it in Philly. If we won that way we'd be feeling pretty damn good too.
dgr81
General Manager
And1: 10,889

Post#54 » by dgr81 » Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:09 pm

he's just big and physical.

the raptors unfortunately don't have any big, physical players of their own. when you're throwing little boys out there like boucher and khem, obviously embiid's actions are going to seem more egregious
BigDocta898
Rookie
And1: 1,385

Post#55 » by BigDocta898 » Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:18 pm

thelead wrote:
Syd-TK3 wrote:He's not dirty he's just a fat flopper that puts himself and others in danger

This is the right answer. He is a ~300 pound, 7 foot flopper/flail-er which is pretty reckless when you're the largest guy on the court. With all the small ball that is being played around the league, I'm shocked he doesn't injure more players.

I call this being dirty
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,178

Post#56 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:53 pm

not dirty for the most part but he does use his size and weight advantageously.

stepping on Barnes was accidental unfortunately. hopefully MRI today reveals no damage.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,660

Post#57 » by OakleyDokely » Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:16 pm

If the refs are going to let him play like that, he'd be dumb not to
kj_
Analyst
And1: 3,299

Post#58 » by kj_ » Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:07 pm

PhilBlackson wrote:Dirty would imply intent.

I don't think there was any bad intent, just being out of control.

Out of control by design. That’s the intent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Los_29
RealGM
And1: 11,881

Post#59 » by Los_29 » Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:16 pm

KL78192020 wrote:This is where the having 5 guys that are 6'8 theory kinda fails. Against some teams you need a true big man like we did in 2019 in Gasol. Most other teams it wouldn't matter, but in this case it does going up against possibly the best big in the league for the next 5 years might be an issue.

What are Embiid's numbers against us this year?

OakleyDokely wrote:If the refs are going to let him play like that, he'd be dumb not to

This is pretty much it. I don't think Embiid is necessarily a dirty player but I do know that a lot of those plays last night were blatant fouls that should've been called. If they aren't going to get called then this team doesn't have much of a chance in this series.

This is what I worried about with the Sixers. Harden/Embiid are going to get a favourable whistle.
Son Goku 25
RealGM
And1: 40,592

Post#60 » by Son Goku 25 » Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:18 pm

tdot_steel wrote:I think this has been the tactic since the last game where both Harden and Embiid are leading with their elbows.

The last game ended with the refs calling an offensive foul on Harden to end the game.

[streamable][/streamable]

Can we get Ron Artest to elbow Harden, I can see why he probably elbowed him back then.. Harden been doing that for time and esp last game but the refs let him get away with it. He also injured Thad fully knowing what he was doing.

Return to Toronto Raptors