ImageImageImageImageImage

NBA officially confirms In-Season Tournament

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 38,384

Re: NBA officially confirms In-Season Tournament 

Post#101 » by Tor_Raps » Sun Jul 9, 2023 4:57 am

And here yall thought we were treadmilling when we were just getting ready to go for the in season tournament ring lol.
DatHomieYouHaTe
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,924

Post#102 » by DatHomieYouHaTe » Sun Jul 9, 2023 5:05 am

Does the captain raise the trophy like soccer? Whose our captain now if Siakam gets traded?
gp2015
RealGM
And1: 10,207

Post#103 » by gp2015 » Sun Jul 9, 2023 5:20 am

KL78192020 wrote:
gp2015 wrote:Prize money? That's it?

A bunch of multi millionaires play for 500k. So exciting.

This is just a cash grab by the NBA trying to get more money from tickets sales/TV.

These guys get into fights over 50k gambling debts, they still care about money.

You're making a large assumption based on a few incidents over many years.

From the fans' perspective, who cares about them winning prize money? We watch because we want to see our teams' winning a championship.
"I'm doing what I love to do. So if I can never walk again because of what I love to do, that's a chance I'll take. I'll die on the court." - Alvin Williams
Potential
RealGM
And1: 44,130

Post#104 » by Potential » Sun Jul 9, 2023 5:26 am

East final 4: Celtics Cavs Bucks Heat

West final 4: Lakers Mavs Kings Nuggets

NBA Cup Finals: Mavs vs Celtics

NBA Cup champions: Boston Celtics
KL78192020
RealGM
And1: 14,460

Post#105 » by KL78192020 » Sun Jul 9, 2023 5:27 am

gp2015 wrote:
KL78192020 wrote:
gp2015 wrote:Prize money? That's it?

A bunch of multi millionaires play for 500k. So exciting.

This is just a cash grab by the NBA trying to get more money from tickets sales/TV.

These guys get into fights over 50k gambling debts, they still care about money.

From the fans' perspective, who cares about them winning prize money? We watch because we want to see our teams' winning a championship.

And you can still watch hoping your team wins a championship, this doesn't change anything. The tournament games are part of the regular season games, its the same games.
gp2015
RealGM
And1: 10,207

Post#106 » by gp2015 » Sun Jul 9, 2023 5:30 am

KL78192020 wrote:
gp2015 wrote:
KL78192020 wrote:

And you can still watch hoping your team wins a championship, this doesn't change anything. The tournament games are part of the regular season games, its the same games.

Sure, so it's just like another regular season game then.
"I'm doing what I love to do. So if I can never walk again because of what I love to do, that's a chance I'll take. I'll die on the court." - Alvin Williams
Oakville_Raptor
Head Coach
And1: 3,771

Post#107 » by Oakville_Raptor » Sun Jul 9, 2023 5:21 pm

When can they elect a new NBA commissioner? Adam Silver needs to be stopped.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 27,096

Post#108 » by WaltFrazier » Sun Jul 9, 2023 7:20 pm

gp2015 wrote:
KL78192020 wrote:
gp2015 wrote:

And if it's the same games, why the need to add monetary incentive for players? Don't they already do their best in RS games? Are guys going to play hurt in these games?

The FA Cup games are additional games. They are a traditional that players and supporters care about. It's a long tradition, with the extra excitement of lower division teams going for upsets. This NBA thing will have none of the tradition or excitement. It will mean nothing. Totally artificial.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
2019nbachamps
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,668

Post#109 » by 2019nbachamps » Sun Jul 9, 2023 7:49 pm

Im not a fan of this idea but there’s ways to make it more exciting. For example, 30 team knockout tournament like March Madness. Top 2 seeds get a bye.
2019nbachamps
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,668

Post#110 » by 2019nbachamps » Sun Jul 9, 2023 7:54 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:
gp2015 wrote:
KL78192020 wrote:

And if it's the same games, why the need to add monetary incentive for players? Don't they already do their best in RS games? Are guys going to play hurt in these games?

The FA Cup games are additional games. They are a traditional that players and supporters care about. It's a long tradition, with the extra excitement of lower division teams going for upsets. This NBA thing will have none of the tradition or excitement. It will mean nothing. Totally artificial.

Yeah, Silver often compares the idea to European footy but it’s nothing comparable. In European footy there are new teams added to cup competition. So for example, 4-5 divisions domestically will compete for a cup. Internationally, the best teams will compete for European cups.

Only way this is somewhat exciting is if the NBA invited the best international clubs to participate, however the level of competition between the NBA and top leagues such as Spain, France, and Serbia wouldn’t be enough to make it interesting.
JShuttlesworth
General Manager
And1: 12,919

Post#111 » by JShuttlesworth » Sun Jul 9, 2023 8:40 pm

rapstarter wrote:
DemHeavyHands wrote:So how do the groups work?? Why not just use the divisions lol

This whole thing is weird

Read on Twitter

Now that the details are out it's even worse than I imagined

Games in Vegas? WTF is Silver doing
TravisScott55
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,011

Post#112 » by TravisScott55 » Sun Jul 9, 2023 8:45 pm

Gonna give it a chance, but the every game counting towards stats except the championship game is very stupid
Spicy P
RealGM
And1: 5,878

Post#113 » by Spicy P » Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:47 am

I think it’s well thought out. I like how it doesn’t disturb the regular season and only adds an extra game to the finals teams. Single elimination tournaments are exciting.

I don’t know why people are so opposed to something like this. It adds a little excitement to the long boring regular season grind by making some of these games important.
Spates
Sixth Man
And1: 1,297

Post#114 » by Spates » Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:03 pm

The tournament will only be as entertaining as the players allow it to be. Everything rides on their compete level, so the idea is inherently compelling.

But I think it could be made compelling. It could be a chance to experiment with changes to rules that could change the formula in various ways. They could: bring back hand-checking, move the three point line back, remove goaltending violations, three seconds in the key, etc. Such changes would make the tournament less predictable and less dependent on players performing with playoff intensity. It also allows for the potential of players thriving under a different rule set, which has great marketing potential.

Basically, make it harder to score to force a higher compete level.
Tofubeque
RealGM
And1: 14,200

Post#115 » by Tofubeque » Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:21 pm

I still haven’t seen anywhere what happens to all the teams knocked out early, if their total number of games isn’t affected. In-Season Tournament consolation rounds? When are those scheduled and who on earth is going to watch them?
props Turbozone
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,651

Post#116 » by djsunyc » Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:15 am

Tofubeque wrote:I still haven’t seen anywhere what happens to all the teams knocked out early, if their total number of games isn’t affected. In-Season Tournament consolation rounds? When are those scheduled and who on earth is going to watch them?

they just get regular regular season games to fulfill the 82 game season.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,727

Post#117 » by WuTang_OG » Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:56 pm

Tofubeque wrote:I still haven’t seen anywhere what happens to all the teams knocked out early, if their total number of games isn’t affected. In-Season Tournament consolation rounds? When are those scheduled and who on earth is going to watch them?

they play regular season games. If you check the Raps schedule, it indicates that. Those schedules will be done on the fly
billy_hoyle
Sixth Man
And1: 1,179

Post#118 » by billy_hoyle » Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:16 pm

NBJ13 wrote:the prize should be the cash, and an auto entry into the draft lottery, with a % boost increase to your odds at a higher pick

I came in here to see if any one proposed this.
Winning some additional lottery odds makes this tourney worthwhile IMO. Otherwise who cares?

This may be a way to further decentivize tanking. I think there is potential here to make it very compelling.
Prestige
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,195
Location: The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

Post#119 » by Prestige » Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:29 pm

billy_hoyle wrote:
NBJ13 wrote:the prize should be the cash, and an auto entry into the draft lottery, with a % boost increase to your odds at a higher pick

I came in here to see if any one proposed this.
Winning some additional lottery odds makes this tourney worthwhile IMO. Otherwise who cares?

This may be a way to further decentivize tanking. I think there is potential here to make it very compelling.

Players don’t care about lottery odds. Any proposal to improve competitiveness has to include financial rewards in order for players to get up for it. Otherwise they will treat it like any other game.
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,811

Post#120 » by Dennis 37 » Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:18 pm

Potential wrote:East final 4: Celtics Cavs Bucks Heat

West final 4: Lakers Mavs Kings Nuggets

NBA Cup Finals: Mavs vs Celtics

NBA Cup champions: Boston Celtics

And as Raptors fans we would watch any of this why?
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"

Return to Toronto Raptors