ImageImageImageImageImage

NBA officially confirms In-Season Tournament

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,914

Re: NBA officially confirms In-Season Tournament 

Post#161 » by WaltFrazier » Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:27 am

Imagine getting excited about these meaningless games because of a NBA commercial and some new court designs.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,936

Post#162 » by JN » Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:51 am

I don't really understand why some people get so upset about this.

There is really nothing bad that can come from this. Of course its possible nothing really great either - it just ends up being games that count against your regular season record.

Might as well see how it goes - perhaps it hits unexpectedly.
Potential
RealGM
And1: 44,074

Post#163 » by Potential » Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:37 am

Excited to see these games. The crowds should be a lot more louder than an average game. Plus I have a feeling the NBA will bring the Larry O'Brien decal back on the court in the Finals after seeing those court designs

Read on Twitter
Spida888
Sixth Man
And1: 1,487

Post#164 » by Spida888 » Fri Nov 3, 2023 8:56 pm

The in-season tournament group play games starts tonight. Group play games happen every Tues/Fri except for Nov 7th (Election day).

We're in the East C group: BOS, BKN, TOR, CHI, ORL.

BKN @ CHI is tonight. Raps don't play their first group play game until Fri Nov 17 vs BOS.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,592

Post#165 » by WuTang_OG » Fri Nov 3, 2023 9:06 pm

I like the idea a lot , changes things up and the games count towards the 82 sched

I know travel issues likely had a play but I would have liked all 30 teams random in the groups

So like toronto in a group with Dallas vs Doncic
MiamiSPX
Analyst
And1: 4,201

Post#166 » by MiamiSPX » Fri Nov 3, 2023 9:08 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:I like the idea a lot , changes things up and the games count towards the 82 sched

I know travel issues likely had a play but I would have liked all 30 teams random in the groups

So like toronto in a group with Dallas vs Doncic

Just read today that all the coaches are included in the payout pool. If I read correctly, the winning head coach gets 500K.

The idea is growing on me.
AkelaLoneWolf
RealGM
And1: 12,231

Post#167 » by AkelaLoneWolf » Fri Nov 3, 2023 9:50 pm

So this tournament is basically to trump up ratings in the slow months. kinda like its own version of taco tuesday.
"We're the middle children of history. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives." - Tyler Durden in Fight Club.
NinjaBro
RealGM
And1: 42,003

Post#168 » by NinjaBro » Fri Nov 3, 2023 10:07 pm

Spida888 wrote:The in-season tournament group play games starts tonight. Group play games happen every Tues/Fri except for Nov 7th (Election day).

BKN @ CHI is tonight. Raps don't play their first group play game until Fri Nov 17 vs BOS.
Quick exit for us against Boston

"Aaron Gordon is a better player than Pascal Siakam. Look at those 538 advanced stats!" - DelAbbot
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,278

Post#169 » by YogurtProducer » Fri Nov 3, 2023 10:17 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:Imagine getting excited about these meaningless games because of a NBA commercial and some new court designs.

Imagine giving a **** if people like things
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
Tofubeque
RealGM
And1: 14,192

Post#170 » by Tofubeque » Fri Nov 3, 2023 10:40 pm

Spida888 wrote:The in-season tournament group play games starts tonight. Group play games happen every Tues/Fri except for Nov 7th (Election day).

Wait… group play isn’t even consecutive games, just arbitrary days of the week? I somehow missed this detail until now.

It’s like they made this as hard as possible to follow casually. Such a strange fit for how the NBA schedule works - imagine the Raptors playing group games on B2Bs after regular games like how they keep getting Philly
props Turbozone
YogurtProducer
RealGM

Post#171 » by YogurtProducer » Fri Nov 3, 2023 10:44 pm

Tofubeque wrote:

Wait… group play isn’t even consecutive games, just arbitrary days of the week? I somehow missed this detail until now.

It’s like they made this as hard as possible to follow casually. Such a strange fit for how the NBA schedule works - imagine the Raptors playing group games on B2Bs after regular games like how they keep getting Philly

I have not looked, but i am assuming teams do not play in-season tournament games on back to backs
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
tms
Veteran
And1: 2,112

Post#172 » by tms » Fri Nov 3, 2023 10:55 pm

Fully expect the Raptors to get destroyed
Spida888
Sixth Man
And1: 1,487

Post#173 » by Spida888 » Fri Nov 3, 2023 10:56 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
Tofubeque wrote:

I have not looked, but i am assuming teams do not play in-season tournament games on back to backs

For the Raps, no "group play" games on the 2nd night of B2Bs, but two of our group play games are on the 1st night of B2Bs followed by regular games the next day.

Tues Nov 21 @ORL, followed by Nov 22 @IND
Fri Nov 28 vs BKN, followed by Nov 29 vs PHX
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,688

Post#174 » by Raps in 4 » Fri Nov 3, 2023 11:07 pm

My friend just made a great suggestion that I hadn't heard before. This tournament should be between the non-playoff teams from the previous season to determine draft positioning.

You'd simultaneously put an end to full-out tanking while also making teams care about the tournament.
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,274

Post#175 » by djsunyc » Fri Nov 3, 2023 11:33 pm

i dig the indy court other than that nasty indy font. the games definitely look different purely from a visual POV so the game "feels" a little different.
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#176 » by WaltFrazier » Sat Nov 4, 2023 12:00 am

It's gonna be like playoff intensity in November. Must see TV. And fancy new court designs to boot. Amazing
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#177 » by WaltFrazier » Sat Nov 4, 2023 12:03 am

Spida888 wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
Tofubeque wrote:

For the Raps, no "group play" games on the 2nd night of B2Bs, but two of our group play games are on the 1st night of B2Bs followed by regular games the next day.

Tues Nov 21 @ORL, followed by Nov 22 @IND
Fri Nov 28 vs BKN, followed by Nov 29 vs PHX

The heck with those games the next day. We gotta go all out to win the tournament games, because... well just because
YogurtProducer
RealGM

Post#178 » by YogurtProducer » Sat Nov 4, 2023 12:18 am

WaltFrazier wrote:

It's gonna be like playoff intensity in November. Must see TV. And fancy new court designs to boot. Amazing

Yeah we get it, you don’t like it.
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#179 » by WaltFrazier » Sat Nov 4, 2023 12:22 am

YogurtProducer wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:

Yeah we get it, you don’t like it.

I'm coming around to the Christopher Moltisanti ad, if that helps.
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#180 » by WaltFrazier » Sat Nov 4, 2023 12:40 am

Ok Yogurt I'm not even saying this to complain, just observe. First glance at Bucks court I thought, too pale, hard to look at. Then I flipped to Bulls court, wow too bright, too garish all that red. Went back to Bucks game and court looks normal by comparison.

There's a college football team, East Washington State I think, that has a red turf field, like Boise States blue field.

I'd like to see the Bulls wear their reds on this court instead of this black

Return to Toronto Raptors