ImageImageImageImageImage

NBA officially confirms In-Season Tournament

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Spida888
Sixth Man
And1: 1,480

Re: NBA officially confirms In-Season Tournament 

Post#181 » by Spida888 » Sat Nov 4, 2023 12:45 am

WaltFrazier wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:It's gonna be like playoff intensity in November. Must see TV. And fancy new court designs to boot. Amazing

Yeah we get it, you don’t like it.

I'm coming around to the Christopher Moltisanti and, if that helps.

The way I see it, the in-season tournament games won't be any less important than regular season games in the past because they count as regular season games anyways (unless one makes the finals).

I expect it to add a little more excitement into the early part of the season, but it won't be playoff intensity for sure.

I'll be curious to see if certain players play better in these group games because of the potential payout if the teams advance. Mainly the bench players earning smaller salaries. Similarly, coaches get paid too when they advance which may mean less experimentation and questionable rotations during these games.
hyper316
RealGM
And1: 9,674

Post#182 » by hyper316 » Sat Nov 4, 2023 12:46 am

Reminds me of Oregon court, too distracting
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,776

Post#183 » by WaltFrazier » Sat Nov 4, 2023 1:17 am

I wish the tournament games were on TNT, I'd be interested in the takes of Charles and Shaq. I guess they'll get the Tuesday games.

And I wish JVG was still on ESPN to hear his opinion of the tournament and the courts
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,266

Post#184 » by djsunyc » Sat Nov 4, 2023 2:49 am

5 of the 6 games played so far tonight came down to the final minute.
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#185 » by WaltFrazier » Sat Nov 4, 2023 2:52 am

djsunyc wrote:5 of the 6 games played so far tonight came down to the final minute.

Amazing they turned out the way the league would want
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,699

Post#186 » by Pointgod » Sat Nov 4, 2023 4:06 am

Read on Twitter
HangTime
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,597

Post#187 » by HangTime » Sat Nov 4, 2023 3:42 pm

Looking at schedule:
Group Play Games
Friday, Nov. 3 (7 games)
Friday, Nov. 10 (9 games)
Tuesday, Nov. 14 (10 games)
Friday, Nov. 17 (11 games)
Tuesday, Nov. 21 (5 games)
Friday, Nov. 24 (10 games)
Tuesday, Nov. 28 (8 games)

I believe we're the last team to have our first game, and it just happens to be the last 4 days.

Is this the NBA's to give us "rest" after the the 6 games in 9 nights to start the season?
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#188 » by WaltFrazier » Sat Nov 4, 2023 3:53 pm

HangTime wrote:Looking at schedule:
Group Play Games
Friday, Nov. 3 (7 games)
Friday, Nov. 10 (9 games)
Tuesday, Nov. 14 (10 games)
Friday, Nov. 17 (11 games)
Tuesday, Nov. 21 (5 games)
Friday, Nov. 24 (10 games)
Tuesday, Nov. 28 (8 games)

I believe we're the last team to have our first game, and it just happens to be the last 4 days.

Is this the NBA's to give us "rest" after the the 6 games in 9 nights to start the season?

I noticed before last night, only Toronto and Detroit had played 6 games, everyone else 5 or 4
Hero
RealGM
And1: 53,367

Post#189 » by Hero » Sat Nov 4, 2023 6:11 pm

Is there a general consensus on the courts? I understand trying something new but I find it's a bit much..
JB7
Analyst
And1: 1,317

Post#190 » by JB7 » Sat Nov 4, 2023 6:20 pm

Hero wrote:Is there a general consensus on the courts? I understand trying something new but I find it's a bit much..

Yes I find it hard to watch. Wonder how the players find it. The Raps home games should be interesting with that black floor and gold jerseys.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,318

Post#191 » by Scase » Sat Nov 4, 2023 6:27 pm

The fact that this 'tourney" takes place over like 3 weeks with a ton of regular season games in between is what makes this a complete non starter for me. If it was more contained over the course of 1-2 weeks where all the games in the tourney were played then I'd be more inclined. But trying to figure out which is which is more tedious than anything. The courts/jerseys needing to be changed so drastically just so at a glance you know it's a tourney game just proves my point more. Replace AS wekend with a sudden death tournament from like Friday to Monday and I'm in.

Also most of the courts are down right hideous. Looking at you Pacers.
Props TZ!
HangTime
Lead Assistant

Post#192 » by HangTime » Sat Nov 4, 2023 6:57 pm

Hero wrote:Is there a general consensus on the courts? I understand trying something new but I find it's a bit much..

I like it, but if they got rid of the strip (maybe it represents, the Vegas Strip) or if they had a Vegas skyline, it'd look better.
6ixset
Senior
And1: 555

Post#193 » by 6ixset » Sat Nov 4, 2023 7:17 pm

At first I did think it looked cool but then quickly realized how it was popping too much. Especially with a solid blue. Curious how the others will look (if more subtle)
Coco Costanza
Analyst
And1: 5,999

Post#194 » by Coco Costanza » Sat Nov 4, 2023 8:07 pm

I thought the Nuggets game looked pretty bad because they wore black jerseys against a dark blue court. Black stands out against yellow, but when against blue it is almost too close in terms of darkness, and the players start to blend in.
Antinomy wrote:Bucks are going to win the next 2 games (convincingly). This place is gonna be a wasteland :lol:

In the words of Charles Barkley: I Guar-RUN-tee.

You are all welcome to sig me.
2019nbachamps
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,589

Post#195 » by 2019nbachamps » Sat Nov 4, 2023 8:32 pm

The courts are harsh on the eyes on tv. Hope the NBA corrects this at some point.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,189

Post#196 » by YogurtProducer » Sat Nov 4, 2023 8:46 pm

My opinion is the idea is onto something but the execution is not great. Milwaukee's makes sense with the more traditional floor with the green stripe down the middle and I am hoping future iterations lean more towards that than the full 2K color blasts
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#197 » by WaltFrazier » Sat Nov 4, 2023 9:19 pm

Scase wrote:The fact that this 'tourney" takes place over like 3 weeks with a ton of regular season games in between is what makes this a complete non starter for me. If it was more contained over the course of 1-2 weeks where all the games in the tourney were played then I'd be more inclined. But trying to figure out which is which is more tedious than anything. The courts/jerseys needing to be changed so drastically just so at a glance you know it's a tourney game just proves my point more. Replace AS wekend with a sudden death tournament from like Friday to Monday and I'm in.

Agree the cup games need to be more separate, rather than mixed among RS games. And of course cup games are regular season games too. Whereas in English soccer the Cup games may be interspersed during the season, but every fan knows, this is a Cup game, this is a league game.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,189

Post#198 » by YogurtProducer » Sat Nov 4, 2023 9:26 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:
Scase wrote:The fact that this 'tourney" takes place over like 3 weeks with a ton of regular season games in between is what makes this a complete non starter for me. If it was more contained over the course of 1-2 weeks where all the games in the tourney were played then I'd be more inclined. But trying to figure out which is which is more tedious than anything. The courts/jerseys needing to be changed so drastically just so at a glance you know it's a tourney game just proves my point more. Replace AS wekend with a sudden death tournament from like Friday to Monday and I'm in.

Agree the cup games need to be more separate, rather than mixed among RS games. And of course cup games are regular season games too. Whereas in English soccer the Cup games may be interspersed during the season, but every fan knows, this is a Cup game, this is a league game.

IMO if they continue with the cup game, they need to adopt a "points" based standings system rather than "wins".

Something like a win in the regular season is "1 point" and then allocate points based on where you finish in the "mid season tournament". If it is 10 games long make first place worth 15 points or something. Gives more value than a regular season game and gives some real incentive to win the thing if you get 5 "Free" wins.

The regular season is not taken seriously anyways, so why do we need to act like 82-games and playoffs is purely "w/l" based is some sacred thing we can never steer away from
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
HangTime
Lead Assistant

Post#199 » by HangTime » Sat Nov 4, 2023 9:55 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:

IMO if they continue with the cup game, they need to adopt a "points" based standings system rather than "wins".

Something like a win in the regular season is "1 point" and then allocate points based on where you finish in the "mid season tournament". If it is 10 games long make first place worth 15 points or something. Gives more value than a regular season game and gives some real incentive to win the thing if you get 5 "Free" wins.

The regular season is not taken seriously anyways, so why do we need to act like 82-games and playoffs is purely "w/l" based is some sacred thing we can never steer away from

These should be used as The first Tie Breaker
Regulation Win = 2 Points
Regulation Loss = 0 Points
Win in OT = 1 Point
Loss in OT = -1 Point

Any Group Stage win in Regulation - 3 Points
Any Group Stage Loss in Regulation = 0 Points
Any Group Stage win in OT = 2 Points
Any Group Stage -Tournament Loss = -1 Points

Tournament Semis and Finals
Any Win = 3 Points
Any Loss = 0 Points
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,318

Post#200 » by Scase » Sat Nov 4, 2023 10:12 pm

I like these ideas, there needs to be some weight or something to them.
Props TZ!

Return to Toronto Raptors