ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Leafs/NHL Thread

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,971

Re: OT: Leafs/NHL Thread 

Post#1101 » by ATLTimekeeper » Mon Jun 5, 2023 10:23 pm

He said he was happy to earn his extension earlier on. Turns out he was shopping himself around all year and landed the Pittsburgh offer prior. This is what Nick Nurse did as well, only he did it a year early and Masai fired his ***. Shanahan should have been more savvy and aware that Kyle was flaunting his options in the media. It was played poorly only because this was obvious and he was still willing to offer him a new deal. He caught on eventually, and that looks awkward, but if the end result is they end up with a better GM than who cares? Using his family as a shield is gutless, though.
KL78192020
RealGM
And1: 14,451

Post#1102 » by KL78192020 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:39 am

Tough couple of days in Florida lol both teams losing 4-1 in the finals. I know its easier for expansion teams to do well in the NHL but damn Vegas just got in the league and won lol.
Potential
RealGM
And1: 43,999

Post#1103 » by Potential » Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:40 am

Why don't the Leafs fold the franchise and have the city apply for an expansion team? It's the only hope
6ixpessant
Senior
And1: 451

Post#1104 » by 6ixpessant » Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:06 am

Well, now that the Leafs are rid of Dubas, there might actually be a shot at building a proper roster. Trainwreck after trainwreck with his additions and he never once showed any attempt to get what the team actually needed. That Tavares signing was so monumentally stupid.

Hopefully Matthews becomes someone else's problem. He's not built for it.
BBS22
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,080

Post#1105 » by BBS22 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:48 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:He said he was happy to earn his extension earlier on. Turns out he was shopping himself around all year and landed the Pittsburgh offer prior. This is what Nick Nurse did as well, only he did it a year early and Masai fired his ***. Shanahan should have been more savvy and aware that Kyle was flaunting his options in the media. It was played poorly only because this was obvious and he was still willing to offer him a new deal. He caught on eventually, and that looks awkward, but if the end result is they end up with a better GM than who cares? Using his family as a shield is gutless, though.

To be fair to Dubas, why wouldn't he? He just landed a 7 year contract (likely for more money) with better ownership (MLSE is a trainwreck) and doesn't have Brenden Shanahan breathing down his neck. He's got more autonomy in Pittsburgh with stars that are proven cup winners. He's also in prime position to rebuild after Crosby retires.

MLSE didn't want to play ball with Dubas' requests and terminated the contract, as is their right. Don't fault Dubas personally, go get your money and upgrade - it's MLSE who let their GM walk to free agency, offered a contract and then revoked it, firing their GM a month before FA where their franchise star is eligible to be extended.

6ixpessant wrote:Well, now that the Leafs are rid of Dubas, there might actually be a shot at building a proper roster. Trainwreck after trainwreck with his additions and he never once showed any attempt to get what the team actually needed. That Tavares signing was so monumentally stupid.

Zero shot they're rebuilding. This is MLSE and the only time they properly tanked was because Shanahan woo'd them to do it. Shanahan and the board appears to be comfortable running back this roster.

Bruce Cassidy was right there for the picking to be our coach (who just won a stanley cup). Barry Trotz as well. But again, this board didn't like the idea of paying for both Bobcock and Keefe's salaries not to coach.

You're not going to see change unless someone from the core 4 is traded (Marner or Nylander hopefully) or Matthews walks to LA.

Thanks Tubrozone!
Los_29
RealGM
And1: 11,861

Post#1106 » by Los_29 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:12 pm

Given how well Florida did in these playoffs it's tough to convince anyone that the Leafs should rebuild or make monumental changes to its roster. Many of the core pieces from Florida's team last year were on the team this year that went to the Cup. All of the core pieces from when the Lightning got swept by Columbus were on their team for their two Cup wins.
JB7
Analyst
And1: 1,336

Post#1107 » by JB7 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:15 pm

BBS22 wrote:
ATLTimekeeper wrote:He said he was happy to earn his extension earlier on. Turns out he was shopping himself around all year and landed the Pittsburgh offer prior. This is what Nick Nurse did as well, only he did it a year early and Masai fired his ***. Shanahan should have been more savvy and aware that Kyle was flaunting his options in the media. It was played poorly only because this was obvious and he was still willing to offer him a new deal. He caught on eventually, and that looks awkward, but if the end result is they end up with a better GM than who cares? Using his family as a shield is gutless, though.

To be fair to Dubas, why wouldn't he? He just landed a 7 year contract (likely for more money) with better ownership (MLSE is a trainwreck) and doesn't have Brenden Shanahan breathing down his neck. He's got more autonomy in Pittsburgh with stars that are proven cup winners. He's also in prime position to rebuild after Crosby retires.

MLSE didn't want to play ball with Dubas' requests and terminated the contract, as is their right. Don't fault Dubas personally, go get your money and upgrade - it's MLSE who let their GM walk to free agency, offered a contract and then revoked it, firing their GM a month before FA where their franchise star is eligible to be extended.

6ixpessant wrote:Well, now that the Leafs are rid of Dubas, there might actually be a shot at building a proper roster. Trainwreck after trainwreck with his additions and he never once showed any attempt to get what the team actually needed. That Tavares signing was so monumentally stupid.

Zero shot they're rebuilding. This is MLSE and the only time they properly tanked was because Shanahan woo'd them to do it. Shanahan and the board appears to be comfortable running back this roster.

Bruce Cassidy was right there for the picking to be our coach (who just won a stanley cup). Barry Trotz as well. But again, this board didn't like the idea of paying for both Bobcock and Keefe's salaries not to coach.

You're not going to see change unless someone from the core 4 is traded (Marner or Nylander hopefully) or Matthews walks to LA.

I say trade Matthews to LA before he walks. Matthews and Marner for Kempe, Byfield and Brandt Clarke.

And now Dubas will have a real challenge in building a winner in Pittsburgh, as Crosby and Malkin's days are almost done. It's sad, because I was a Penguins fan as a kid, and I am not a fan of Dubas, so hate to see him destroy that great franchise. They went from Lemieux & Jagr to Crosby & Malkin, and now Dubas leading the team :cry:
MiamiSPX
Analyst
And1: 4,166

Post#1108 » by MiamiSPX » Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:26 pm

I've been saying for years that Matthews will walk. I know he is/was into the nightclub and fashion scene that Toronto affords him, but that novelty has likely worn off. American who grew up in a warm climate....
xAIRNESSx
RealGM
And1: 13,157

Post#1109 » by xAIRNESSx » Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:50 am

Big night for Matthews with the hat trick to force OT. What a goal scorer.
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,778

Post#1110 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:07 am

Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 33,004

Post#1111 » by Reeko » Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:07 am

Pucks on the Raps board? Oh heeeell naw!
Clay Davis wrote:COMPOSED ONLY OF THE COOLEST WOMEN AND THE HOTTEST GUYS, THE TORONTO RAPTORS REALGM BOARD HAS LONG BEEN KNOWN FOR ITS HIGH-QUALITY DISCUSSION, PASSIONATE LOYALTY, TEMPERATE CELEBRATIONS OF VICTORY, AND GRACE IN DEFEAT.
DemHeavyHands
Sixth Man
And1: 2,726

Post#1112 » by DemHeavyHands » Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:16 am

The hell we need a leafs thread for?? There’s a whole ass forum for y’all to discuss sticks and ice and stuff
refshateRaps
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,953

Post#1113 » by refshateRaps » Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:56 am

Cross marketing going on
beanbag
Analyst
And1: 4,392

Post#1114 » by beanbag » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:02 am

MiamiSPX wrote:I've been saying for years that Matthews will walk. I know he is/was into the nightclub and fashion scene that Toronto affords him, but that novelty has likely worn off. American who grew up in a warm climate....

Good call bud
canz55
Sixth Man
And1: 2,026

Post#1115 » by canz55 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:51 am

Wow, I completely forgot the NHL season was starting this week. That's not like me.

Sent from my SM-S908W using RealGM mobile app
ImageWe the Champs...
Tha Cynic
RealGM
And1: 24,436

Post#1116 » by Tha Cynic » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:22 pm

I grew up watching hockey as the #1 sport until one day I flipped channels and found this strange sport called basketball on the new VR. Since then, I still watch hockey, but the interest has waned over the years. Yesterday's game I was bored for most of it until the 3rd.

Playoff hockey is pretty exciting though.
Kobe Bryant:You asked for my hustle - I gave you my heart, because it came with so much more."~Kobe #MambaOut
fbalmeida
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,893

Post#1117 » by fbalmeida » Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:24 pm

Magical player.

Always feels so damn good to beat the Habs.
"The Raptors will be fine." - Masai Ujiri, March 26th, 2021
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,606

Post#1118 » by Raps in 4 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:47 pm

Have the Jays overtaken the Leafs as the biggest chokers in Toronto sports? I think so.
xAIRNESSx
RealGM
And1: 13,157

Post#1119 » by xAIRNESSx » Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:35 am

Matthews with back to back hatty's to start the season. :o
And1+2
Head Coach
And1: 10,417

Post#1120 » by And1+2 » Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:41 pm

Tha Cynic wrote:I grew up watching hockey as the #1 sport until one day I flipped channels and found this strange sport called basketball on the new VR. Since then, I still watch hockey, but the interest has waned over the years. Yesterday's game I was bored for most of it until the 3rd.

Playoff hockey is pretty exciting though.

I am in the same boat. I've been trying to get back into it, though.

Return to Toronto Raptors