ImageImageImageImageImage

Shams: Raps sign Jalen Mcdaniels 2 years/$9.3M

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,577

Re: Shams: Raps sign Jalen Mcdaniels 2 years/$9.3M 

Post#401 » by bluerap23 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 2:26 pm

Kurtz wrote:
Hero_Panda wrote:
anotherhomer wrote:It's not an abundance but another missed signing
Aron bynes
Jalen mcdaniel
Stanley Johnson
Otto porter

None of which are detrimental to the team's capspace or roster flexibility.

Are people expecting on low key, low contract signings to be a homerun? I mean there's a reason why said players received a very insignificant offer in the first place.

Who said anything about a home run? How about hitting a **** single instead of striking out on every single signing? How about getting one signing right, like for example signing Hartenstein in free agency instead of trading a lotto pick for Poetl?

Dennis Schroeder /
Kurtz
RealGM
And1: 15,710

Post#402 » by Kurtz » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:46 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:
Los_29 wrote:
Kurtz wrote:
Who said anything about a home run? How about hitting a **** single instead of striking out on every single signing? How about getting one signing right, like for example signing Hartenstein in free agency instead of trading a lotto pick for Poetl?

Schroder was a very good signing.

Dennis has been one of the best signing so far relative to their contract and he has trade value.

Also, Porter looks interesting as a potential bench / depth piece.

As far as Raptors free agent signings go, this seasons been okay.

Can I get an update on this take, fellas?
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,520

Post#403 » by OakleyDokely » Thu Feb 8, 2024 8:06 pm

Kurtz wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:
Los_29 wrote:

Dennis has been one of the best signing so far relative to their contract and he has trade value.

What's there to update?
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,288

Post#404 » by Scase » Thu Feb 8, 2024 8:27 pm

Kurtz wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:
Los_29 wrote:

TBF none of that was wrong, Dennis is still the best FA signing we've ever had. OPJ in theory is a good signing, but in reality he's useless.

I would be questioning Masai at this point, signing dudes that you need to dump less than a year later, isn't exactly screaming about how good his decision making skills are....or continue to be.
Props TZ!
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,008

Post#405 » by DelAbbot » Thu Feb 8, 2024 8:31 pm

Kurtz wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:
Los_29 wrote:

This is hilarious
Los_29
RealGM
And1: 11,829

Post#406 » by Los_29 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 3:31 am

Kurtz wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:
Los_29 wrote:

I don’t get it.
bonjovi0308
Veteran
And1: 889

Post#407 » by bonjovi0308 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 3:58 am

Scase wrote:
Kurtz wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:

TBF none of that was wrong, Dennis is still the best FA signing we've ever had. OPJ in theory is a good signing, but in reality he's useless.

I would be questioning Masai at this point, signing dudes that you need to dump less than a year later, isn't exactly screaming about how good his decision making skills are....or continue to be.

Masai never has a great track record in free agents. His track record indicates hes one of the best in drafting, decent in trades, but bad in signing FA
mieshpal
Veteran
And1: 2,006

Post#408 » by mieshpal » Fri Feb 9, 2024 3:26 pm

Scase wrote:
Kurtz wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:

The lack of respect lol oh jeez. Check the raps history pre Masai. That is all

Sent from my Pixel 8 using RealGM mobile app
Scase
RealGM

Post#409 » by Scase » Fri Feb 9, 2024 3:37 pm

mieshpal wrote:
Scase wrote:
Kurtz wrote:

Who cares about pre Masai. What they did have no bearing on what he does and vice versa. Garbage before and garbage now are both garbage.

Grunwald drafted the most talented player in Raptors history, I'm not going to say Scottie isn't a great draft pick cause he's a less talent player. Good is good, bad is bad. Call a spade a spade.
Props TZ!
Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,942

Post#410 » by Kevin Willis » Fri Feb 9, 2024 4:09 pm

Scase wrote:
mieshpal wrote:
Scase wrote:TBF none of that was wrong, Dennis is still the best FA signing we've ever had. OPJ in theory is a good signing, but in reality he's useless.

Who cares about pre Masai. What they did have no bearing on what he does and vice versa. Garbage before and garbage now are both garbage.

Grunwald drafted the most talented player in Raptors history, I'm not going to say Scottie isn't a great draft pick cause he's a less talent player. Good is good, bad is bad. Call a spade a spade.

I think the point he was trying to make it not to make judgment in a vacuum. For example, you can criticize Shaq for not being able to shoot FTs and make him sound like a bad player while ignoring his other stats and how he dominated his competition. The Raptors under Masai was able to develop a solid talented bench. Traded elements of that bench for talent. Win a championship. Try to maintain a championship level team but failed. Now is rebuilding. He made mistakes along the way but has built this reputation of trading away his mistakes.

If you compare his ability with previous Raptor's GMs and other GMs around the league he does well. Similar to Shaq, he's almost dominant. If you focus in on only his mistakes you can make him sound worse than he really is. Dennis was never part of Masai's plan, he wanted a player at guard when FV left (which was Masai's fault). Dennis became less of a need when we got IQ, so he was traded. What he did seems logical. He said before the trade deadline that he didn't expect to have 4 draft picks, especially in a weaker top talent draft. He traded one away. Seems logical since that's what he said. Compare Masai with previous Raptor GMs and those around the league and he's pretty good - even really good. Don't understand the disrespect unless you can find someone much better that we can get.
Ska needs to make a comeback.
Scase
RealGM

Post#411 » by Scase » Fri Feb 9, 2024 4:47 pm

Kevin Willis wrote:
Scase wrote:
mieshpal wrote:The lack of respect lol oh jeez. Check the raps history pre Masai. That is all

I think the point he was trying to make it not to make judgment in a vacuum. For example, you can criticize Shaq for not being able to shoot FTs and make him sound like a bad player while ignoring his other stats and how he dominated his competition. The Raptors under Masai was able to develop a solid talented bench. Traded elements of that bench for talent. Win a championship. Try to maintain a championship level team but failed. Now is rebuilding. He made mistakes along the way but has built this reputation of trading away his mistakes.

If you compare his ability with previous Raptor's GMs and other GMs around the league he does well. Similar to Shaq, he's almost dominant. If you focus in on only his mistakes you can make him sound worse than he really is. Dennis was never part of Masai's plan, he wanted a player at guard when FV left (which was Masai's fault). Dennis became less of a need when we got IQ, so he was traded. What he did seems logical. He said before the trade deadline that he didn't expect to have 4 draft picks, especially in a weaker top talent draft. He traded one away. Seems logical since that's what he said. Compare Masai with previous Raptor GMs and those around the league and he's pretty good - even really good. Don't understand the disrespect unless you can find someone much better that we can get.

But I'm not comparing it in a vacuum.

Comparing him to old Raptors GMs is utterly pointless. I have been judging him on his performance since the chip, and that has been against the performance and outlooks of all other GMs/teams in the league. He has been objectively bad, his only saving grace up until the gifted OG trade, was drafting Scottie.

He gets flowers for that, but 1 thing going well in 4 years is not something to be proud of. If we want to talk outside of a vacuum, we can talk about how Masai is the highest paid exec in the league, and has some of the worst performance over the last 4 years. We had a good record the year after the chip, and it's been a slide ever since, worse by the year, and puzzling or outright bad moves have made up the majority of that time span.

I don't see how it is so controversial to say he has not been good since the chip, this doesn't devalue or erase his contributions in getting that chip, but that chip also doesn't give you carte blanche to **** the bed either. Overall he's been good, lately he has not, I don't think this is really that outlandish of a statement.
Props TZ!
Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,942

Post#412 » by Kevin Willis » Fri Feb 9, 2024 7:40 pm

Scase wrote:
Kevin Willis wrote:
Scase wrote:Who cares about pre Masai. What they did have no bearing on what he does and vice versa. Garbage before and garbage now are both garbage.

Comparing him to old Raptors GMs is utterly pointless. I have been judging him on his performance since the chip, and that has been against the performance and outlooks of all other GMs/teams in the league. He has been objectively bad, his only saving grace up until the gifted OG trade, was drafting Scottie.

He gets flowers for that, but 1 thing going well in 4 years is not something to be proud of. If we want to talk outside of a vacuum, we can talk about how Masai is the highest paid exec in the league, and has some of the worst performance over the last 4 years. We had a good record the year after the chip, and it's been a slide ever since, worse by the year, and puzzling or outright bad moves have made up the majority of that time span.

I don't see how it is so controversial to say he has not been good since the chip, this doesn't devalue or erase his contributions in getting that chip, but that chip also doesn't give you carte blanche to **** the bed either. Overall he's been good, lately he has not, I don't think this is really that outlandish of a statement.

No - that statement is correct. The last 3 years he's been bad. Drafted bad (except for Barnes). Lost FVV for nothing. Free agent signings haven't worked out.
Ska needs to make a comeback.
Scase
RealGM

Post#413 » by Scase » Fri Feb 9, 2024 8:35 pm

Kevin Willis wrote:
Scase wrote:
Kevin Willis wrote:

No - that statement is correct. The last 3 years he's been bad. Drafted bad (except for Barnes). Lost FVV for nothing. Free agent signings haven't worked out.

I'm not against giving credit when a good thing is done, there has just been an absolute drought of moves to be celebrated over the last 4 years. It's frustrating when people constantly try and spin bad moves into why they were good, or not so bad.

Call a spade a spade both ways. Good job on OG, bad job on Siakam, and so on.
Props TZ!
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,501
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#414 » by SharoneWright » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:48 am

Recorded for posterity.

Is anybody here a marine biologist?
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 37,282

Post#415 » by Tor_Raps » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:55 am

SharoneWright wrote:Recorded for posterity.

I honestly wanted the team to get a C or another guard in free agency but no way I thought he'd be this bad. He is legit playing like one of the worst raptor of all time. If we didn't have his contract for next year, he would have been waived by now.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,634

Post#416 » by Psubs » Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:28 am

Just be glad you aren't the TWolves giving his brother $25 million next season with raises for the 3 years after that. :lol:

Jaden McDaniels is more like an MLE level player at best like Chris Boucher but getting paid double that next year.
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,718

Post#417 » by Ell Curry » Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:06 am

This signing turned out terrible but I would have made it.
Where's the D?
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,885

Post#418 » by LoveMyRaps » Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:14 am

Wait why on earth did we give him a second year???? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I thought it was a 1yr contract all this time. :cry:
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,651

Post#419 » by C_Money » Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:50 am

Masai will never stop acquiring these guys who have long arms but can’t actually shoot or dribble.
bonjovi0308
Veteran
And1: 889

Post#420 » by bonjovi0308 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:44 am

I think Masai might attach Detroit's 2nd round pick along with Mcdaniel's expiring for a Agbaji type of player in the offseason

Return to Toronto Raptors