ImageImageImageImageImage

Shams: Raps sign Jalen Mcdaniels 2 years/$9.3M

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

sbsat
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,649

Re: Shams: Raps sign Jalen Mcdaniels 2 years/$9.3M 

Post#441 » by sbsat » Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:06 pm

some of you "fans" are insufferable. Imagine complaining we pushed all in for a title, got it and justify it by saying it was all luck. Why do you even watch this team? Do you people realize how hard it is to win an nba title, especially when everyone and their 2nd cousin won't play here willingly?
Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,756

Post#442 » by Badonkadonk » Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:07 pm

I wasn't expecting a ton from a $5M player but I really thought he looked close to figuring it out with the Sixers after the trade last season and was cautiously optimistic. Philly fans were hoping to have him back.

Too bad he hasn't, nobody wants this version.
lolwut
General Manager
And1: 12,918

Post#443 » by lolwut » Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:34 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
lolwut wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:
Or the Nurse signing was awful.
Or drafting Barnes was a clear mistake

Seems like there really isn’t any shame in being horribly wrong over and over again.

It's not shameful when the person thinks they're right 100% of the time.

If I was wrong that often (which I have been). I’d start questioning if I’m right.

Yes, that's what a reasonable person would do.
2023-2024 FatherTracker™ - baby raptors looking to be adopted by a warm, loving family man
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,514

Post#444 » by OakleyDokely » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:06 pm

TheGeneral99 wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:
If I was wrong that often (which I have been). I’d start questioning if I’m right.

It is one thing to make a prediction and be wrong, it is another to say 5 years later that the championship team was all luck.

One is understandable as we are not able to see the future, the other is just plain stupidity.

Also this idea "everyone" wanted to fire Masai after the 2018 playoffs (as claimed by Steelo) is just mind boggling.

I don't recall that at all.

Sure, it was disappointing to lose to the Cavs that year, but we were still a 59 win team with one of the best young cores in the league at the time and a ton of depth. I think people wanted a change to be made to the roster, but firing Masai was from what most people were saying. It wasn't really on anyone's radar maybe apart from Steelo and a handful of posters.

Not to mention, everyone lost to Lebron. He went to the finals 8 straight seasons. BOS lost 5 times to Lebron in the playoffs during that MIA/CLE run. Should UTAH fire Ainge?

Lebron is a top 2 player of all-time. Losing playoff series' to him in his prime shouldn't exactly come as some huge surprise to anyone.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,166

Post#445 » by YogurtProducer » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:13 pm

Badonkadonk wrote:I wasn't expecting a ton from a $5M player but I really thought he looked close to figuring it out with the Sixers after the trade last season and was cautiously optimistic. Philly fans were hoping to have him back.

I am hoping maybe an off-season reset makes him at least serviceable next year.

The guy has career .455/.331/.778 split and this season is at .330/.208/.700

It is like he just does not care anymore. And maybe he doesnt. Maybe he got his 10M guaranteed and he is cool with retiring in 12 months.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Post#446 » by dagger » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:17 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
Badonkadonk wrote:I wasn't expecting a ton from a $5M player but I really thought he looked close to figuring it out with the Sixers after the trade last season and was cautiously optimistic. Philly fans were hoping to have him back.

I am hoping maybe an off-season reset makes him at least serviceable next year.

The guy has career .455/.331/.778 split and this season is at .330/.208/.700

It is like he just does not care anymore. And maybe he doesnt. Maybe he got his 10M guaranteed and he is cool with retiring in 12 months.

If the Raptors do want to max cap space, he's a good candidate for stretch waivers as the downstream cap hits would be about the same as a minimum salary player. If his attitude is "I-don't-care", it's perhaps best if he isn't around the other young guys next season.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,514

Post#447 » by OakleyDokely » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:21 pm

Jalen has an interesting skillset to size ratio which is why he's bounced around the league so much already, but the low motor / low bball IQ is just too much to overcome.
visionquest
Starter
And1: 2,378

Post#448 » by visionquest » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:28 pm

Tom_Foolery wrote:
SharoneWright wrote:Recorded for posterity.

I'm speechless.

wow, this is really bad! :banghead:
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,650

Post#449 » by C_Money » Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:16 pm

visionquest wrote:
Tom_Foolery wrote:
SharoneWright wrote:Recorded for posterity.

I'm speechless.

wow, this is really bad! :banghead:

His season is basically over. You can’t risk playing a guy like this when the game is close. He’ll single handedly lose it for us.
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,203

Post#450 » by djsunyc » Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:01 pm

LoveMyRaps wrote:Wait why on earth did we give him a second year???? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I thought it was a 1yr contract all this time. :cry:

canada tax.
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,203

Post#451 » by djsunyc » Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:03 pm

as presently constituted, we have $15.5 mil in expiring contracts this summer between boucher + jalen. but since we also have some room under the luxury tax, we can also ship out jalen (who makes 4.7 mil next year) for a contract up to 5.8 mil to reduce a luxury team's tax burden and then take back a 2nd for the trouble.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,285

Post#452 » by Scase » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:57 pm

gidget24 wrote:
Scase wrote:But I'm not comparing it in a vacuum.

Comparing him to old Raptors GMs is utterly pointless. I have been judging him on his performance since the chip, and that has been against the performance and outlooks of all other GMs/teams in the league. He has been objectively bad, his only saving grace up until the gifted OG trade, was drafting Scottie.

He gets flowers for that, but 1 thing going well in 4 years is not something to be proud of. If we want to talk outside of a vacuum, we can talk about how Masai is the highest paid exec in the league, and has some of the worst performance over the last 4 years. We had a good record the year after the chip, and it's been a slide ever since, worse by the year, and puzzling or outright bad moves have made up the majority of that time span.

I don't see how it is so controversial to say he has not been good since the chip, this doesn't devalue or erase his contributions in getting that chip, but that chip also doesn't give you carte blanche to **** the bed either. Overall he's been good, lately he has not, I don't think this is really that outlandish of a statement.

I mean as a team we mortgaged everything for the chip. I don't think any GM would have done to much better given the situation we were in. Kawhi left and there was nothing that was going to be done about it. Once that happened we were a 3-5 seed team with aging veterans on expiring deals. Our one chance at a good season was the next season but with the bubble we lost home court advantage which would have helped against Boston, other teams had time to heal while some of our team struggled (Spicy P). Then you had your aging frontcourt leave (Probably not bad considering they both fell off on their new teams) and were regulated to a different city for a year. He made the best draft choice you possible could in that draft as we drafted 4th but got the best player.

Then he was left picking up the pieces of those fall outs. I mean could we have gotten something for FV maybe but who knows how good it would have been in the end being expiring contract. We got great value for OG in players but not picks. Siakam's value wasn't that great of a return (lets see what we do with Brown in the off season) but he had us by the balls in dictating where he would re-sign.

So I don't think it has been terrible, no GM/president is going to be perfect with every move. I don't know if another GM/Pres coming into our situation would have made any better moves and I don't know if replacing the FO at this point will help us move towards a different path then we are on now.

Most people aren't losing their minds about Gasol/Ibaka post chip, nor are most people saying that the team is devoid of assets since we went all in for that chip. No one is blaming Masai for Kawhi leaving.

What Masai is getting rightfully blamed for is, FVV walking for nothing, the Thad trade, the Jak trade, Siakam return being weak, Khem Birch contract, GTJ trade (this one I don't think was a problem), Jalen McDaniels, and so on. None of that has anything to do with going all in on the chip.

There are plenty of championship agnostic bad moves, and not many good ones.
Props TZ!
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,217

Post#453 » by Dalek » Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:56 pm

McDaniels is a guy I was intrigued with at SDSU where he looked like there was a possibility as an NBA player. But, he came across as bit disengaged and lazy back then, not to mention the weird sex scandal allegations. It is a bit surprising that the younger brother is so much more together than the eldest.

After his time at Charlotte and Philly I thought Jalen turned a corner and would become a viable player. I am not sure what to think of a player who gets a two-year deal and just gives up like this.

He certainly isn't good enough to look down on opportunities, but he does seem to do three or four egregiously bad things when he comes in now. Maybe he is the type of player made for China. I mean maybe he can be a focal point overseas and he showcase his game, but I seriously doubt any team would want a player like him.
Asif16
RealGM
And1: 27,437

Post#454 » by Asif16 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:59 pm

What a waste of a signing
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,217

Post#455 » by Dalek » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:00 pm

djsunyc wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:Wait why on earth did we give him a second year???? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I thought it was a 1yr contract all this time. :cry:

canada tax.

I think Philly basically offered the one year deal and Jalen made a business decision to go for Toronto's 2 year deal. We came in a bit too hard for Dennis Schroeder and Jalen McDaniels this year. Next time, I hope they run a free agent camp like they have in the past so they can find the next diamond in the rough. Overall, I am not a huge fan of re-draft guys like this.
MiamiSPX
Analyst
And1: 4,079

Post#456 » by MiamiSPX » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:02 pm

I still don't mind the attempt. It only looks really bad because he's showing he doesn't belong in the league. One of these bargain bin signings will work eventually.
bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,498

Post#457 » by bballsparkin » Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:04 am

I can understand making mistakes but the lack of hustle devensively and his body language is damning. Those calling to sit him on the bench were right.
Chalky_White
Senior
And1: 629

Post#458 » by Chalky_White » Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:23 am

bballsparkin wrote:I can understand making mistakes but the lack of hustle devensively and his body language is damning. Those calling to sit him on the bench were right.

Got a feeling he aint a great fit in the locker room either..with how he barely interacts with teammates on the bench.

Look for them to ship him out in offseason on the first thing smoking.
yellowknifer
Analyst
And1: 2,337

Post#459 » by yellowknifer » Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:31 am

The Thad trade was basically 10 spots for what we hoped could be a quality veteran leader on a team that seemingly had attitude problems. It's possible there was a better option out there.

We gave up too much for Yak. I think he was worth a mid to late first and unfortunately our team is constructed in a way where we will may give up a top 10 pick for him. I know people say this draft is weak, but I suspect there will be multiple quality and impactful talents in the mix as there usually is. Masai does a solid job drafting, especially early. So losing that may hurt.

The Norm trade was bad. No one will ever convince me otherwise. Gary is a huge negative when his shot isn't falling which is often. Norm does it all. He's just so much a superior player. And he is exactly what we have needed so many times over recent years.

We badly screwed up with Siakam. Because he still drafts well, he has a chance to rebound. But we didn't get the value we should have. Maybe Nwora turns into a good player as well. We treated Pascal horribly. Totally undeserving of this treatment.

I want to add that we could have won the championship in the bubble season if the lock downs didn't happen. Pascal started the season awesome. Then he didn't play for months and fell off a cliff. I'm not sure how or why he didn't find himself a private gym to shoot around in. But it really changed the trajectory of his career IMO.

McDaniels sucks. Birch was a bad deal... they needed to think about his medical history but it's like they ignored it. They have missed a lot recently. Porter seems like a nice change and may be a good value.
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,717

Post#460 » by Ell Curry » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:54 am

djsunyc wrote:as presently constituted, we have $15.5 mil in expiring contracts this summer between boucher + jalen. but since we also have some room under the luxury tax, we can also ship out jalen (who makes 4.7 mil next year) for a contract up to 5.8 mil to reduce a luxury team's tax burden and then take back a 2nd for the trouble.

McDaniels for Vezenkov and a 2nd rounder might appeal to Sacramento. They're at 151M with Monk to re-sign and no backup center.

Maybe even Vezenkov, Duarte and a couple of 2nd rounders for McDaniels and they save 7.7M and only lose one wing, and we give up on 8M in cap room for a couple of 2nds and no bad money past next year, which is better than Washington did for Bagley (12M for 2 2nd rounders, though one is good and one is meh, whereas this would be 2 meh ones). They'd be at like 143M before Monk, so maybe can sneak in under the tax and add a backup 5. They might just wanna start over the tax though with a Barnes + Vezenkov + Duarte/Mitchell + picks for a starter deal at the deadline, though.
Where's the D?

Return to Toronto Raptors