ImageImageImageImageImage

Shams: Raps sign Jalen Mcdaniels 2 years/$9.3M

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

gidget24
Sophomore
And1: 70

Re: Shams: Raps sign Jalen Mcdaniels 2 years/$9.3M 

Post#421 » by gidget24 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:35 pm

Scase wrote:But I'm not comparing it in a vacuum.

Comparing him to old Raptors GMs is utterly pointless. I have been judging him on his performance since the chip, and that has been against the performance and outlooks of all other GMs/teams in the league. He has been objectively bad, his only saving grace up until the gifted OG trade, was drafting Scottie.

He gets flowers for that, but 1 thing going well in 4 years is not something to be proud of. If we want to talk outside of a vacuum, we can talk about how Masai is the highest paid exec in the league, and has some of the worst performance over the last 4 years. We had a good record the year after the chip, and it's been a slide ever since, worse by the year, and puzzling or outright bad moves have made up the majority of that time span.

I don't see how it is so controversial to say he has not been good since the chip, this doesn't devalue or erase his contributions in getting that chip, but that chip also doesn't give you carte blanche to **** the bed either. Overall he's been good, lately he has not, I don't think this is really that outlandish of a statement.

I mean as a team we mortgaged everything for the chip. I don't think any GM would have done to much better given the situation we were in. Kawhi left and there was nothing that was going to be done about it. Once that happened we were a 3-5 seed team with aging veterans on expiring deals. Our one chance at a good season was the next season but with the bubble we lost home court advantage which would have helped against Boston, other teams had time to heal while some of our team struggled (Spicy P). Then you had your aging frontcourt leave (Probably not bad considering they both fell off on their new teams) and were regulated to a different city for a year. He made the best draft choice you possible could in that draft as we drafted 4th but got the best player.

Then he was left picking up the pieces of those fall outs. I mean could we have gotten something for FV maybe but who knows how good it would have been in the end being expiring contract. We got great value for OG in players but not picks. Siakam's value wasn't that great of a return (lets see what we do with Brown in the off season) but he had us by the balls in dictating where he would re-sign.

So I don't think it has been terrible, no GM/president is going to be perfect with every move. I don't know if another GM/Pres coming into our situation would have made any better moves and I don't know if replacing the FO at this point will help us move towards a different path then we are on now.
Tom_Foolery
Junior
And1: 401

Post#422 » by Tom_Foolery » Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:53 pm

SharoneWright wrote:Recorded for posterity.

I'm speechless.
Steelo Green
RealGM
And1: 24,807

Post#423 » by Steelo Green » Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:54 pm

gidget24 wrote:

Comparing him to old Raptors GMs is utterly pointless. I have been judging him on his performance since the chip, and that has been against the performance and outlooks of all other GMs/teams in the league. He has been objectively bad, his only saving grace up until the gifted OG trade, was drafting Scottie.

He gets flowers for that, but 1 thing going well in 4 years is not something to be proud of. If we want to talk outside of a vacuum, we can talk about how Masai is the highest paid exec in the league, and has some of the worst performance over the last 4 years. We had a good record the year after the chip, and it's been a slide ever since, worse by the year, and puzzling or outright bad moves have made up the majority of that time span.

I don't see how it is so controversial to say he has not been good since the chip, this doesn't devalue or erase his contributions in getting that chip, but that chip also doesn't give you carte blanche to **** the bed either. Overall he's been good, lately he has not, I don't think this is really that outlandish of a statement.

I mean as a team we mortgaged everything for the chip. I don't think any GM would have done to much better given the situation we were in. Kawhi left and there was nothing that was going to be done about it. Once that happened we were a 3-5 seed team with aging veterans on expiring deals. Our one chance at a good season was the next season but with the bubble we lost home court advantage which would have helped against Boston, other teams had time to heal while some of our team struggled (Spicy P). Then you had your aging frontcourt leave (Probably not bad considering they both fell off on their new teams) and were regulated to a different city for a year. He made the best draft choice you possible could in that draft as we drafted 4th but got the best player.

Then he was left picking up the pieces of those fall outs. I mean could we have gotten something for FV maybe but who knows how good it would have been in the end being expiring contract. We got great value for OG in players but not picks. Siakam's value wasn't that great of a return (lets see what we do with Brown in the off season) but he had us by the balls in dictating where he would re-sign.

So I don't think it has been terrible, no GM/president is going to be perfect with every move. I don't know if another GM/Pres coming into our situation would have made any better moves and I don't know if replacing the FO at this point will help us move towards a different path then we are on now.

We mortgaged everything for the ship looks at the title in a vacuum.

When we got Lebronto'd again - everyone said fire Masai. Then we got Kawhi for pennies on the dollar. He took a risk I guess? He traded what we knew was a failure in Demar so we could get out of his contract so really it was Jak and a first for Kawhi. If Kawhi walks and we lose, we can pull the reset button.

Winning a title was just the perfect alignment of luck. You need luck to win a title, but in Masai's case it was only luck to win a title.

Fred and Pascal instrumental, so on that end I always say he can find talent late in drafts but it's interesting that since Weltman left, they haven't had any late round wins, second round wins or undrafted players unearthed. Scottie being a reach one or two picks up isn't much of a reach.

So we have the fake contender prior to title, then the team that's fallen off after. Masai hasn't shown he knows how to build sustained success or a team that has a chance to win for a 2-6 year window. He didn't in Denver, and he hasn't in Toronto.
Los_29
RealGM
And1: 11,829

Post#424 » by Los_29 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:05 pm

That’s what you get for 4.5 million these days. I am very surprised how bad he is though. He looked fine in Charlotte and Philly.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,858

Post#425 » by Duffman100 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:11 pm

Claiming a general manager won a title solely on luck might be the worst take ever on this forum. And there have been many bad takes.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,515

Post#426 » by OakleyDokely » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:11 pm

Steelo Green wrote:
gidget24 wrote:

We mortgaged everything for the ship looks at the title in a vacuum.

When we got Lebronto'd again - everyone said fire Masai. Then we got Kawhi for pennies on the dollar. He took a risk I guess? He traded what we knew was a failure in Demar so we could get out of his contract so really it was Jak and a first for Kawhi. If Kawhi walks and we lose, we can pull the reset button.

Winning a title was just the perfect alignment of luck. You need luck to win a title, but in Masai's case it was only luck to win a title.

Fred and Pascal instrumental, so on that end I always say he can find talent late in drafts but it's interesting that since Weltman left, they haven't had any late round wins, second round wins or undrafted players unearthed. Scottie being a reach one or two picks up isn't much of a reach.

So we have the fake contender prior to title, then the team that's fallen off after. Masai hasn't shown he knows how to build sustained success or a team that has a chance to win for a 2-6 year window. He didn't in Denver, and he hasn't in Toronto.

They lucked out when they traded for Gasol (they wouldn't have gotten out of the 2nd round without him)
They lucked out drafting OG, Siakam, Poeltl, Powell
They lucked out trading for Ibaka
They lucked out signing VV as an undrafted FA

All luck. All you need is Kawhi to win a title, as the many titles the Clippers have won has shown.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,806

Post#427 » by Johnny Bball » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:13 pm

Duffman100 wrote:Claiming a general manager won a title solely on luck might be the worst take ever on this forum. And there have been many bad takes.

I'll never forget Steelo's insistance that its only one in a million that a star player moves or gets traded. All of it is just so bad.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#428 » by Duffman100 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:18 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:Claiming a general manager won a title solely on luck might be the worst take ever on this forum. And there have been many bad takes.

I'll never forget Steelo's insistance that its only one in a million that a star player moves or gets traded. All of it is just so bad.

Or the Nurse signing was awful.
Or drafting Barnes was a clear mistake

Seems like there really isn’t any shame in being horribly wrong over and over again.
OakleyDokely
RealGM

Post#429 » by OakleyDokely » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:19 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:

It's only literally happened multiple times over multiple seasons.
TheGeneral99
Starter
And1: 2,771

Post#430 » by TheGeneral99 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:21 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:

He also made a thread after the 2021 draft declaring that Masai absolutely fumbled the draft with Barnes and Suggs was the obvious choice.

The irony of his post above is just astounding.
TheGeneral99
Starter

Post#431 » by TheGeneral99 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:24 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:

Yep, it's literally part of the NBA now.

This is all from the last 6 seasons:

Kawhi, Harden, AD, Butler, Durant, Kyrie, Haliburton, Sabonis, Lillard, Westbrook, George, CP3, Pascal, Mitchell, Rudy, Markennan, Beal etc.
OakleyDokely
RealGM

Post#432 » by OakleyDokely » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:27 pm

TheGeneral99 wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:

Yep, it's literally part of the NBA now.

This is all from the last 6 seasons:

Kawhi, Harden, Davis, Butler, Durant, Kyrie, Haliburton, Sabonis, Lillard, Westbrook, George, CP3, Pascal, Mitchell, Rudy, Markennan, Beal etc.

NBA is basically soccer now.

Every season, disgruntled stars enter the transfer portal and they're moved to the highest bidder.

This is the new free agency.
dublo7
Pro Prospect
And1: 439

Post#433 » by dublo7 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:28 pm

TheGeneral99 wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:

He also made a thread after the 2021 draft declaring that Masai absolutely fumbled the draft with Barnes and Suggs was the obvious choice.

The irony of his post above is just astounding.

...but not surprising.
But to get back to McDaniels... he's gotta get back to the practice squad - that quarter was so bad. Can't have someone with that attitude ruining bench development. Guess he's gone next season.
Free advice is seldom cheap. ROA#59
lolwut
General Manager
And1: 12,918

Post#434 » by lolwut » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:33 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:

Seems like there really isn’t any shame in being horribly wrong over and over again.

It's not shameful when the person thinks they're right 100% of the time.
2023-2024 FatherTracker™ - baby raptors looking to be adopted by a warm, loving family man
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#435 » by Duffman100 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:34 pm

lolwut wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:

If I was wrong that often (which I have been). I’d start questioning if I’m right.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,166

Post#436 » by YogurtProducer » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:40 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
lolwut wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:

If I was wrong that often (which I have been). I’d start questioning if I’m right.

It is one thing to make a prediction and be wrong, it is another to say 5 years later that the championship team was all luck.

One is understandable as we are not able to see the future, the other is just plain stupidity.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,806

Post#437 » by Johnny Bball » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:42 pm

Initially it would just rile people up, which I presumed was always the goal. Now its just turned into laughing at. I fail to see the point anymore. Especially when its all 2 line responses.
TheGeneral99
Starter

Post#438 » by TheGeneral99 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:44 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:
lolwut wrote:It's not shameful when the person thinks they're right 100% of the time.

It is one thing to make a prediction and be wrong, it is another to say 5 years later that the championship team was all luck.

One is understandable as we are not able to see the future, the other is just plain stupidity.

Also this idea "everyone" wanted to fire Masai after the 2018 playoffs (as claimed by Steelo) is just mind boggling.

I don't recall that at all.

Sure, it was disappointing to lose to the Cavs that year, but we were still a 59 win team with one of the best young cores in the league at the time and a ton of depth. I think people wanted a change to be made to the roster, but firing Masai was from what most people were saying. It wasn't really on anyone's radar maybe apart from Steelo and a handful of posters.
Tha Cynic
RealGM
And1: 24,416

Post#439 » by Tha Cynic » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:47 pm

LoveMyRaps wrote:Wait why on earth did we give him a second year???? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I thought it was a 1yr contract all this time. :cry:

Pretty sure the Raptors have to always add more incentive to get NBA players to come to Toronto. Kind of why we basically gave Schroder an under the table promise that we would start him.
Kobe Bryant:You asked for my hustle - I gave you my heart, because it came with so much more."~Kobe #MambaOut
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,166

Post#440 » by YogurtProducer » Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:03 pm

Tha Cynic wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:Wait why on earth did we give him a second year???? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I thought it was a 1yr contract all this time. :cry:

Pretty sure the Raptors have to always add more incentive to get NBA players to come to Toronto. Kind of why we basically gave Schroder an under the table promise that we would start him.

It also is a higher risk higher reward. If McDaniels came in and proved himself as a consistent 12-18mpg backup we would have had him for another year super cheap.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023

Return to Toronto Raptors