ImageImageImageImageImage

Nowell: I will make history as the best Raptor to ever put on the uniform

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,657

Re: Nowell: I will make history as the best Raptor to ever put on the uniform 

Post#321 » by WaltFrazier » Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:53 pm

Dalek wrote:The 905 winning and just better overall now they are healthy. The engine is Nowell. Regardless of his long-term outlook you have to appreciate the joy and skill he plays with.

Read on Twitter

I've been skeptical but those are some nice highlights. Porter looks legit at finishing too
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
bape_lovers
RealGM
And1: 17,914

Post#322 » by bape_lovers » Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:57 pm

hopefully we sign windslow, i think Precious playing at 5 and him at 4 would work defensively. Trade boucher/flynn for a backup (tyus jones)??

WaltFrazier wrote:
Dalek wrote:The 905 winning and just better overall now they are healthy. The engine is Nowell. Regardless of his long-term outlook you have to appreciate the joy and skill he plays with.

Read on Twitter

I've been skeptical but those are some nice highlights. Porter looks legit at finishing too

Credit to JaysRule, Detective
Tha Cynic
RealGM
And1: 24,416

Post#323 » by Tha Cynic » Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:57 pm

He can maybe give a few minutes in the regular season if he keeps improving his shot.

Honestly he needs to watch FVV games where FVV plays like a PG and not a combo guard and try to emulate that. FVV may be taller but always played like he was 5'7.
Kobe Bryant:You asked for my hustle - I gave you my heart, because it came with so much more."~Kobe #MambaOut
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,657

Post#324 » by WaltFrazier » Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:02 pm

bape_lovers wrote:hopefully we sign windslow, i think Precious playing at 5 and him at 4 would work defensively. Trade boucher/flynn for a backup (tyus jones)??

WaltFrazier wrote:

Read on Twitter

Haven't seen Winslow really, but isn't he just 6'6?

I'm all for that trade though
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
Clay Davis
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,695

Post#325 » by Clay Davis » Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:10 pm

He has the RIZZ but he needs the DOG
Steelo Green wrote:People are expecting way too much from Barnes out of the get go. He is a project player who will need 2-3 years before he makes a major impact.
sbsat
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,649

Post#326 » by sbsat » Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:29 pm

Nowell looking very decent!
Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,891

Post#327 » by Kingsway_fan » Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:38 pm

Scase wrote:
Kingsway_fan wrote:
ItsDanger wrote:Signing this guy immediately to a 2 way at the draft just highlights what this management's mindset is all about.

Desperation?...at the loss of Fred.
No quality at the PG position or depth on the roster.
poor scouting or talent evaluation?

Pick one or more...

All of the above, and some stuff not listed lol[/quote

And why isn't Raptors management looking at John Wall as our back-up or starting pg?... is he not better than Flynn even now?...]
Harold_and_Kumar
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,656

Post#328 » by Harold_and_Kumar » Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:48 pm

I think people are arguing against his statement, which shouldn't be taken literally. He's doing what he needs to grind his way to an NBA career. Instead, consider what success may look like. I can see him as an energy changer off the bench as a 12th man type, kind of like how someone like Boucher would be optimally used on a winning team.
Boardbreaker
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,882

Post#329 » by Boardbreaker » Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:54 pm

Harold_and_Kumar wrote:I think people are arguing against his statement, which shouldn't be taken literally. He's doing what he needs to grind his way to an NBA career. Instead, consider what success may look like. I can see him as an energy changer off the bench as a 12th man type, kind of like how someone like Boucher would be optimally used on a winning team.

I think ending up as an Alvarado level player would be an ideal outcome.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,290

Post#330 » by Scase » Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:56 pm

Kingsway_fan wrote:
Scase wrote:
Kingsway_fan wrote:
Desperation?...at the loss of Fred.
No quality at the PG position or depth on the roster.
poor scouting or talent evaluation?

Pick one or more...

All of the above, and some stuff not listed lol[/quote

And why isn't Raptors management looking at John Wall as our back-up or starting pg?... is he not better than Flynn even now?...]

I would've been totally on board trying him out to start the season, I think someone mentioned it at some point. He would 100% be a starting PG, I just wonder how willing he would be to buy in to the game plan. If Darko can't even wrangle Dennis, no way in hell he'd manage Wall who is a legit player, even at 33.

That said, it is a bit telling that he isn't on ANY roster.
Props TZ!
Scase
RealGM

Post#331 » by Scase » Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:58 pm

Harold_and_Kumar wrote:I think people are arguing against his statement, which shouldn't be taken literally. He's doing what he needs to grind his way to an NBA career. Instead, consider what success may look like. I can see him as an energy changer off the bench as a 12th man type, kind of like how someone like Boucher would be optimally used on a winning team.

I don't know how else to take his statement besides literally. It's a pretty black/white statement to make, it wasn't even prefaced with "My goal is" but rather "This is going to happen". You don't even hear that **** from generational talents, and hearing it come from a dude who is shorter than your average male, and undrafted, just rubs people the wrong way.

There is confidence, then there is hubris.
Props TZ!
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,218

Post#332 » by Dalek » Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:12 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:

Read on Twitter

To me, when Nowell is on the court in the G-League he is controlling the game flow - helping Toronto to play fast and get open threes.
Playing with Porter and the other big, Obanor is like two stretch bigs who really open up the floor. It is a long shot, but Nowell needs to keep showing he is better than his competition every night to earn a call-up.

Porter to me, looks like a future NBA player. Too skilled, good size and pedigree. Him and Isaiah Mobley are two G-League bigs that I think will make the league if they stay healthy. His number in four games are great: 18/9/4 shooting a crazy 65% on threes. The team is winning since he joined up.

Obanor has to be getting some attention as well now. He is a rookie of the year candidate for the G-League 19/7 on 60/43/78 are great numbers for a big man although he looks a bit undersized as a big, but as a SF he might have some potential long-term.

Winslow is a very fringe NBA guy. Nothing special there, and kind of old at this point at 27 and being on so many different teams. He is shooting 17% from three, so no thanks.
kieferli
Analyst
And1: 4,080

Post#333 » by kieferli » Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:40 pm

Well at least he playing much better than dick, i rather play him than dick at this point
Lol
Credit:Clutch0z24
Scase
RealGM

Post#334 » by Scase » Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:55 pm

kieferli wrote:Well at least he playing much better than dick, i rather play him than dick at this point
Lol

That bar is so low it might as well be buried :lol: :lol:
Props TZ!
Harold_and_Kumar
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,656

Post#335 » by Harold_and_Kumar » Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:42 pm

Scase wrote:

I don't know how else to take his statement besides literally. It's a pretty black/white statement to make, it wasn't even prefaced with "My goal is" but rather "This is going to happen". You don't even hear that **** from generational talents, and hearing it come from a dude who is shorter than your average male, and undrafted, just rubs people the wrong way.

People make black and white statements all the time that aren't to be taken literally. But for your sake, let's pretend it is meant to be taken literally, why would I personally be mad? Don't we want players who are willing to fight and do what it takes to meet their potential. I wish Vince had the same fight and belief.

Because of his height, I'm sure Nowell has had to prove himself to even his High School coach, so I can understand why his self-belief is what it is. If he was putting up Rudy Gay shooting figures I'd understand people being pissed and connecting his play to the chip on his shoulder, but by all accounts people like playing with him and he shares the ball. His usage is under 20% in the G-league.

As objective observers it's clear that his prediction is very, very unlikely to come true, but he's not an objective observer and I'm not his therapist, so who am I to tell him where to set his goals. I'm not sure any of it matters all that much, as long as his teammates like him and he's unselfish on the floor.
Scase
RealGM

Post#336 » by Scase » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:51 pm

Harold_and_Kumar wrote:
Scase wrote:

People make black and white statements all the time that aren't to be taken literally. But for your sake, let's pretend it is meant to be taken literally, why would I personally be mad? Don't we want players who are willing to fight and do what it takes to meet their potential. I wish Vince had the same fight and belief.

Because of his height, I'm sure Nowell has had to prove himself to even his High School coach, so I can understand why his self-belief is what it is. If he was putting up Rudy Gay shooting figures I'd understand people being pissed and connecting his play to the chip on his shoulder, but by all accounts people like playing with him and he shares the ball. His usage is under 20% in the G-league.

As objective observers it's clear that his prediction is very, very unlikely to come true, but he's not an objective observer and I'm not his therapist, so who am I to tell him where to set his goals. I'm not sure any of it matters all that much, as long as his teammates like him and he's unselfish on the floor.

I don't think anyone is mad about him making those declarations, I just think they are pie in the sky, never gonna happen type statements. It's great, dream big etc. But goals are supposed to be achievable.

It doesn't make the person endearing to me, so I think of it as being detached from reality. It rubs me the wrong way, that's all. He is allowed to think how he wants, and make whatever claims he wishes to, but that doesn't absolve someone from criticism.
Props TZ!
Tacoma
Head Coach
And1: 4,888

Post#337 » by Tacoma » Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:02 pm

kieferli wrote:Well at least he playing much better than dick, i rather play him than dick at this point
Lol

G-league stats so far:

Nowell: 8 games; 35 mpg; 15.3 pts; 3.6 rbs; 10.1 assts; 1.8 stls; FG=43%; 3PT=42%
Dick: 7 games; 32 mpg; 14.4 pts; 2.9 rbs; 2.1 assts; 0.9 stls; FG=32%; 3PT=29%

It's early of course but who would've thought that our #13 pick ends up in the G-league and is being outplayed (and out-rebounded!) there by our 5'7" undrafted 2-way contract signee.
Mr Fitzhume
Junior
And1: 650

Post#338 » by Mr Fitzhume » Mon Mar 4, 2024 7:57 pm

Almost the best Raptor to ever put on the uniform.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 37,291

Post#339 » by Tor_Raps » Mon Mar 4, 2024 7:58 pm

Sadly this is also what I first thought of when I heard the Raptors waived him.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,521

Post#340 » by OakleyDokely » Mon Mar 4, 2024 8:03 pm

Per 36 numbers as a Raptor: 18 ppg / 18 reb / 18 ast / 9 stl

GOAT

Return to Toronto Raptors