ImageImageImageImageImage

Nowell: I will make history as the best Raptor to ever put on the uniform

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

sbsat
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,649

Re: Nowell: I will make history as the best Raptor to ever put on the uniform 

Post#301 » by sbsat » Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:20 pm

Stop obsessing about height and just watch him play. He has a chance.... We all know he will never be the greatest raptor ever, but he has a chance to be a serviceable undrafted player. If we want to b*tch about how had our player development has been we should also pay attention to the cases that are showing some promise
HiJiNX
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 12,167

Post#302 » by HiJiNX » Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:37 pm

sbsat wrote:Stop obsessing about height and just watch him play. He has a chance.... We all know he will never be the greatest raptor ever, but he has a chance to be a serviceable undrafted player. If we want to b*tch about how had our player development has been we should also pay attention to the cases that are showing some promise

Game is slowing down for him. Another key adjustment for a player of his size is adjusting to the length and speed of playing against pro prospects (and hopefully real pros eventually). In a couple of years I could see Nowell getting 15-20 mins per game in the NBA, especially if he develops his jumper and range.
not strong, only aggresive cuz the power ain't directed/ that's why, we are subjected to the will of the oppressive
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,290

Post#303 » by Scase » Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:39 pm

sbsat wrote:Stop obsessing about height and just watch him play. He has a chance.... We all know he will never be the greatest raptor ever, but he has a chance to be a serviceable undrafted player. If we want to b*tch about how had our player development has been we should also pay attention to the cases that are showing some promise

I've watched him play, and I've watched 3rd string players easily pick off his passes due to sheer size and athleticism. I'm being realistic, there is an incredibly small number of players at his size that can play in the NBA, and the NBA has only gotten faster and more athletic since.
Props TZ!
Steelo Green
RealGM
And1: 24,807

Post#304 » by Steelo Green » Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:41 pm

Won't even be a top 5 905 player.
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,218

Post#305 » by Dalek » Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:44 pm

MiamiSPX wrote:
Scase wrote:
Dalek wrote:
Guys like JJ Barea had a decent career despite being under 6 ft. To me, the key is having a respectable three ball and quick processing.

Nowell makes great reads ahead of the defense and lately his three is getting more comfortable from NBA range up to 40% now. I have doubts mainly about his finishing but his GLeague numbers are solid and he only has played 6 games. He also has FVV type defense for a small.

Barea is listed as 5"10 and Nowell as 5"8. He is absolutely not 5"8, and even if he was, that gap is a huge difference in the NBA. There's a reason why you don't see players at his height in the NBA regularly.

In training camp he admitted he's 5'7". I saw the interview with my own eyes, it's out there.

Barea was maybe 5'10, and his wingspan the same 5’10.75″. Nowell is around 5'7" and has a 6'0 wingspan which looks correct from his physical profile and the fact that he can dunk.

[x]
Read on Twitter
?s=20[/x]

I don't think 2 inches of height allowed Barea to play over 800 games and 14 years in the NBA. It was that he was first, a top notch competitor, get by his man on defense, score from NBA range, be a good PG, and pest on defense.

Nowell was arguably the best PG in college ball last year. He led his team deep into the tournament. He now averages 16/10 on 41% from three and 1.7 steals and 0.4 blocks. He is showing well at the G-League level, again showing that he is probably the best pure PG in his league. He seems to adjust well to his height disadvantage, so why not think he could be capable of making an NBA rotation one day? He is older as far as prospect, but it is not impossible to me give how hard he plays the game.
DatHomieYouHaTe
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,909

Post#306 » by DatHomieYouHaTe » Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:59 pm

he's not a bad player but he needs to get that ugly shot fixed/// seems like we say that about every prospect lol
Dalek
RealGM

Post#307 » by Dalek » Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:15 pm

DatHomieYouHaTe wrote:he's not a bad player but he needs to get that ugly shot fixed/// seems like we say that about every prospect lol

He is shooting 40% on 7 attempts and 85% on FTs. I don't have an issue with the shot results, just him picking and choosing when to finish inside. He has to have a lot workout for him to finish layups in the NBA.
DatHomieYouHaTe
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,909

Post#308 » by DatHomieYouHaTe » Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:18 pm

Dalek wrote:
DatHomieYouHaTe wrote:he's not a bad player but he needs to get that ugly shot fixed/// seems like we say that about every prospect lol

He is shooting 40% on 7 attempts and 85% on FTs. I don't have an issue with the shot results, just him picking and choosing when to finish inside. He has to have a lot workout for him to finish layups in the NBA.

So far the shot is falling but I just hate the look of it.. ugly as hell. If it continues to work i'll let it slide :lol:
Scase
RealGM

Post#309 » by Scase » Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:00 am

Dalek wrote:
MiamiSPX wrote:
Scase wrote:Barea is listed as 5"10 and Nowell as 5"8. He is absolutely not 5"8, and even if he was, that gap is a huge difference in the NBA. There's a reason why you don't see players at his height in the NBA regularly.

In training camp he admitted he's 5'7". I saw the interview with my own eyes, it's out there.

Barea was maybe 5'10, and his wingspan the same 5’10.75″. Nowell is around 5'7" and has a 6'0 wingspan which looks correct from his physical profile and the fact that he can dunk.

[x]
Read on Twitter
?s=20[/x]

I don't think 2 inches of height allowed Barea to play over 800 games and 14 years in the NBA. It was that he was first, a top notch competitor, get by his man on defense, score from NBA range, be a good PG, and pest on defense.

Nowell was arguably the best PG in college ball last year. He led his team deep into the tournament. He now averages 16/10 on 41% from three and 1.7 steals and 0.4 blocks. He is showing well at the G-League level, again showing that he is probably the best pure PG in his league. He seems to adjust well to his height disadvantage, so why not think he could be capable of making an NBA rotation one day? He is older as far as prospect, but it is not impossible to me give how hard he plays the game.

He's taken 49 3pa against g league talent, lets pump the brakes a bit. He looked horrid in the summer league, and that was with players who are arguably better or at worst the same level of the g league.

I'm not saying he's a bad basketball player, I'm saying that showing up in the NBA is such a far cry from the g league the stats are barely worth mentioning. He's (likely generously) 3 inches shorter than Barea and thats a massive issue when trying to make passes. In the SL he was having his passes deflected and easily picked off, by players who will never sniff an actual NBA court.

There is just a limit to what you can do, when you are at such a disadvantage physically. There are countless players who would benefit insanely from having bigger hands, or longer arms etc. But that doesn't have nearly the same impact as height, he is legitimately 1 full foot shorter than your average NBA player. I'm not talking average big man/center, but average NBA player.

Those 2 on that chart on the left? Nowell himself, and Jacob Gilyard, a rookie on memphis.

It's great to be hopeful and all, but this is like expecting Flynn to be a starting PG on a good team, technically possible, but realistically impossible.
Props TZ!
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,059

Post#310 » by ItsDanger » Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:02 am

Signing this guy immediately to a 2 way at the draft just highlights what this management's mindset is all about.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,785
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#311 » by Boogie! » Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:04 am

Scase wrote:
Dalek wrote:
MiamiSPX wrote:

[x]
Read on Twitter
?s=20[/x]

He's taken 49 3pa against g league talent, lets pump the brakes a bit. He looked horrid in the summer league, and that was with players who are arguably better or at worst the same level of the g league.

I'm not saying he's a bad basketball player, I'm saying that showing up in the NBA is such a far cry from the g league the stats are barely worth mentioning. He's (likely generously) 3 inches shorter than Barea and thats a massive issue when trying to make passes. In the SL he was having his passes deflected and easily picked off, by players who will never sniff an actual NBA court.

There is just a limit to what you can do, when you are at such a disadvantage physically. There are countless players who would benefit insanely from having bigger hands, or longer arms etc. But that doesn't have nearly the same impact as height, he is legitimately 2 full feet shorter than your average NBA player. I'm not talking average big man/center, but average NBA player.

Those 2 on that chart on the left? Nowell himself, and Jacob Gilyard, a rookie on memphis.

It's great to be hopeful and all, but this is like expecting Flynn to be a starting PG on a good team, technically possible, but realistically impossible.

The average nba player is 7'7?
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
Scase
RealGM

Post#312 » by Scase » Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:11 am

Boogie! wrote:
Scase wrote:
Dalek wrote:

[x]
Read on Twitter
?s=20[/x]

There is just a limit to what you can do, when you are at such a disadvantage physically. There are countless players who would benefit insanely from having bigger hands, or longer arms etc. But that doesn't have nearly the same impact as height, he is legitimately 2 full feet shorter than your average NBA player. I'm not talking average big man/center, but average NBA player.

The average nba player is 7'7?

God damnit I fat fingered the 2 lol

I've just spent the last 2 days straight of 8 hour management meetings, my brain is fried. Thanks for catching that :lol:
Props TZ!
Yallbecrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,705

Post#313 » by Yallbecrazy » Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:36 am

To be a serviceable 5'7 NBA player one needs to be elite at most other things, especially shooting.

He was a pretty poor shooter in college and while he's improved he needs to be elite and I think that's extremely unlikely to occur.
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,785
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#314 » by Boogie! » Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:58 am

Yallbecrazy wrote:

To be a serviceable 5'7 NBA player one needs to be elite at most other things, especially shooting.

He was a pretty poor shooter in college and while he's improved he needs to be elite and I think that's extremely unlikely to occur.
what is considered elite? He's currently shooting 40% in the glezgue
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
Yallbecrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,705

Post#315 » by Yallbecrazy » Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:59 am

Boogie! wrote:
Yallbecrazy wrote:

what is considered elite? He's currently shooting 40% in the glezgue

40% on 8 attempts per 36 in the NBA.
alpha
Starter
And1: 179

Post#316 » by alpha » Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:12 pm

If you are pegging your hopes on him........then your knowledge about the game needs an overhaul.
rocky_da_best
Assistant Coach
And1: 8,850

Post#317 » by rocky_da_best » Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:16 pm

"Tell the world what you intend to do, but first show it". Not sure why he ever vocalized those internal thoughts of his lmfao
Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,891

Post#318 » by Kingsway_fan » Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:11 pm

ItsDanger wrote:Signing this guy immediately to a 2 way at the draft just highlights what this management's mindset is all about.

Desperation?...at the loss of Fred.
No quality at the PG position or depth on the roster.
poor scouting or talent evaluation?

Pick one or more...
Scase
RealGM

Post#319 » by Scase » Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:30 pm

Kingsway_fan wrote:
ItsDanger wrote:Signing this guy immediately to a 2 way at the draft just highlights what this management's mindset is all about.

Desperation?...at the loss of Fred.
No quality at the PG position or depth on the roster.
poor scouting or talent evaluation?

Pick one or more...

All of the above, and some stuff not listed lol
Props TZ!
Dalek
RealGM

Post#320 » by Dalek » Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:42 pm

The 905 winning and just better overall now they are healthy. The engine is Nowell. Regardless of his long-term outlook you have to appreciate the joy and skill he plays with.

Read on Twitter

Return to Toronto Raptors