ImageImageImageImageImage

Team Canada Basketball Thread V4.0

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

DemHeavyHands
Sixth Man
And1: 2,725

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V4.0 

Post#281 » by DemHeavyHands » Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:22 pm

SharoneWright wrote:Regardless of the Worlds experience, we're gonna need Edey in the Olympics. He's not ready. But we have no size. And the rules will help.

We need at least 12 Edey minutes against a host of bigs, including but not limited to, the USA of A.

I would go as far as saying Edey has a case for being our starting C. Much respect to Powell and KO, but we all know it’s not a great pairing. Edey isn’t a stiff, he has size and touch and I think he’s a better fit next to Kelly’s passing and shooting

Shai
Murray
RJ
Kelly
Edey
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,089

Post#282 » by ItsDanger » Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:52 pm

DemHeavyHands wrote:
SharoneWright wrote:Regardless of the Worlds experience, we're gonna need Edey in the Olympics. He's not ready. But we have no size. And the rules will help.

We need at least 12 Edey minutes against a host of bigs, including but not limited to, the USA of A.

I would go as far as saying Edey has a case for being our starting C. Much respect to Powell and KO, but we all know it’s not a great pairing. Edey isn’t a stiff, he has size and touch and I think he’s a better fit next to Kelly’s passing and shooting

Shai
Murray
RJ
Kelly
Edey

While I'm high on Edey's potential, I prefaced this by stating it assumes he's utilized appropriately. Jordi insisting on guarding perimeter and switch everything plays into Edey's weaknesses. I'd use Edey off the bench but make him #1 scoring option, this didn't happen either. Scoring option isnt a committee, it should be a clear hierarchy.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,485

Post#283 » by Hair Canada » Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:45 pm

DemHeavyHands wrote:

Shai
Murray
RJ
Kelly
Edey

Edey next to Kelly was tried a bit in the WC, mainly in the game against the US. And it was a complete defensive disaster. I just don't think it can work, unless the other team plays with two bigs, one of which can't shoot.

I do want Edey in the Olympics, but think he needs a special design to hide his defensive weaknesses. Part of it is zone defense or playing with elite backcourt defenders that don't die on screens (Dort and Nickeil mostly, maybe also Shai). But part of it is also playing 4 excellent defenders around him, with Brooks at the 4.
“If every basketball player worked as hard as I did, I’d be out of a job.”
— Steve Nash
bozothepope
Sixth Man
And1: 4,225

Post#284 » by bozothepope » Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:00 pm

Anybody watch or attend any of the All-Canadian Game festivities this weekend? A lot of great talent on display. I came away impressed by the class.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,106

Post#285 » by tecumseh18 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:23 pm

Hair Canada wrote:
DemHeavyHands wrote:

Shai
Murray
RJ
Kelly
Edey

Edey next to Kelly was tried a bit in the WC, mainly in the game against the US. And it was a complete defensive disaster. I just don't think it can work, unless the other team plays with two bigs, one of which can't shoot.

I do want Edey in the Olympics, but think he needs a special design to hide his defensive weaknesses. Part of it is zone defense or playing with elite backcourt defenders that don't die on screens (Dort and Nickeil mostly, maybe also Shai). But part of it is also playing 4 excellent defenders around him, with Brooks at the 4.

Yeah, Kelly cannot play with Edey. Olynyk is simply not a winning player as a starter (and I would argue ever - he hasn't played on winning teams since the Heat). At least Edey can rebound and protect the rim. And surrounding him with smaller shooters seem like a winning strategy, at least at the college level. I really don't expect to see Embiid play for the US, but if he does we need some sort of size - and 5-6 fouls =- against him to tire him out.

Is there a 6' 8' - 6' 10" mobile, switchable 3 and D guy in the Canada youth program who can eventually start for the NT?
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,980

Post#286 » by MEDIC » Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:09 pm

I went to the All Canadian Highschool Allstar game last night (Formerly Biosteel game). I have been to every game since it's inception in 2015. That was the year Jamal Murray was in it. Last nights game was probably the most entertaining game I have seen. There were more high flyers in this game than ever before. Tons of unbelievable in game dunks. These kids put on a show.

Chris Tadjo & Jalik Dunkley-Distant won players of the game.
Ishan Sharma won Canadian High School player of the year.

There were so many high fliers with length in the game. Even the 6'1" PG's had major hops & had some amazing dunks. I saw the game with Lou Dort a few years back & he put on a show with his dunks. This game felt like there were 6 or 7 guys with Dorts athleticism. Some possibly more athletic.

These are the players that stood out to me:

Tristan Beckford - Good length, great hops, good handle. He got to the rim several times & made some highlight plays. He was also able to hit multiple 3's & had good shooting form.

Jalik Dunkley-Distant - Very similar to Beckford. Good length & a great all around game. Also a high flyer.

Elijah Duval - PG with some serious hops. Some of the dunks that he did in warmup were unreal. Also had an excellent handle & a quick first step. He was also able to make some long range shots.

Chris Kumu - Another 6'3" high flyer that had some unbelievable in game dunks.

Will Riley - Started off slow. It was a physical game at times & I could see him get a little frustrated after getting clobbered a couple of times with no call. He may have been the most skilled wing there. Excellent shooting form & was also able to get to the rim pretty easily. I don't think his game is suited as well for an allstar type game, but you could see that he probably had the best all round offensive game compared to other wings.

Hudson Ward - Big, strong, athletic SF that had a very solid all around game. Good defensive instincts. Was able to stay in front of his man. Also very athletic. He had a few very nice dunks. He also had a smooth looking shot from distance. He swished several 3's.

There are others that I am missing for sure, It was hard to keep track. (Sean Blake had a nice game)
All of the other years I went, they handed out a paper program with the players numbers & names so you could figure out who was who. This year the budget was probably a little less without the Biosteel sponsorship.

This looked like a really nice crop of players. Most already have multiple Division 1 offers & many have already committed. Really strong group of guards and forwards.

The jerseys & gear that they were wearing was Niice! I wish they were selling some of it. I definitely would have bought one of the T-shirts that they were wearing. (Canadian across the front & the All Canadian logo on the back)

Here is a link to the game:

* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,575

Post#287 » by DreamTeam09 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:11 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:
Hair Canada wrote:
DemHeavyHands wrote:I would go as far as saying Edey has a case for being our starting C. Much respect to Powell and KO, but we all know it’s not a great pairing. Edey isn’t a stiff, he has size and touch and I think he’s a better fit next to Kelly’s passing and shooting

Shai
Murray
RJ
Kelly
Edey

Yeah, Kelly cannot play with Edey. Olynyk is simply not a winning player as a starter (and I would argue ever - he hasn't played on winning teams since the Heat). At least Edey can rebound and protect the rim. And surrounding him with smaller shooters seem like a winning strategy, at least at the college level. I really don't expect to see Embiid play for the US, but if he does we need some sort of size - and 5-6 fouls =- against him to tire him out.

Is there a 6' 8' - 6' 10" mobile, switchable 3 and D guy in the Canada youth program who can eventually start for the NT?

Kelly was on the team that won bronze last yr so he has to be considered a winning player itnl. He's part of the reason for the National team turnaround.
As far as your lanky 3+D switchable 6'8-6'10 guy, the closest thing wound be Leonard Miller.
Trey Lyles and Edey seem like a logic fit as well. Maybe small ball Dillon Brooks

In Raptor Ball I Trust
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,485

Post#288 » by Hair Canada » Mon Apr 1, 2024 2:14 am

Not a very good look right now for our core Olympians:

* Shai banged up, sat out a couple of games, and hasn't reaches 30 in 4 games (after having 50 of these). Also shooting about 25% from 3 in March.
* Jamal also banged up and has now missed 5 in a row. Not sure he'll be available.
* RJ has been playing well since moving home to Toronto, but hard to say how the trible loss of his brother is going to affect him.
* Dort with 4 points today, has averaged 8ppg over his last 7, shooting 20% from 3.
* Nickeil with 5 points today (2 of 7 shooting) and has also fluctuated quite a bit lately on offense.
* Brooks missed all his shots today (0 of 7 from 3) and didn't score. He's been on a serious shooting slump since the All-Star break, scoring less than 10 points a game and shooting only 25% from 3 (40% prior to the All-Star break).
* Wiggins with 4 points, 2-12 from the field today. Been better lately but remains unstable game-to-game and his status for the Olympics is also unclear.
* Powell has lost his spot on the Mavs rotation since they brought in Gafford and hasn't played real minutes since the All-Star break (3 points in 11 games since).
* Olynyk has looked okay in Toronto (offensively, not defensively), but the team stinks badly.
* Lyles, Boucher, Mathurin, and Sharpe are all long-shots for the team, but all have suffered debilitating injuries and have been out for extended periods (some with an indefinite return date).

Good thing is that there are still a couple of months till the games and time for all to bounce back (maybe except for Powell, who I don't see returning to the rotation, unless there are injuries to the other Mavs' bigs).
“If every basketball player worked as hard as I did, I’d be out of a job.”
— Steve Nash
bozothepope
Sixth Man

Post#289 » by bozothepope » Mon Apr 1, 2024 2:32 am

MEDIC wrote:I went to the All Canadian Highschool Allstar game last night (Formerly Biosteel game). I have been to every game since it's inception in 2015. That was the year Jamal Murray was in it. Last nights game was probably the most entertaining game I have seen. There were more high flyers in this game than ever before. Tons of unbelievable in game dunks. These kids put on a show.

Chris Tadjo & Jalik Dunkley-Distant won players of the game.
Ishan Sharma won Canadian High School player of the year.

There were so many high fliers with length in the game. Even the 6'1" PG's had major hops & had some amazing dunks. I saw the game with Lou Dort a few years back & he put on a show with his dunks. This game felt like there were 6 or 7 guys with Dorts athleticism. Some possibly more athletic.

These are the players that stood out to me:

Tristan Beckford - Good length, great hops, good handle. He got to the rim several times & made some highlight plays. He was also able to hit multiple 3's & had good shooting form.

Jalik Dunkley-Distant - Very similar to Beckford. Good length & a great all around game. Also a high flyer.

Elijah Duval - PG with some serious hops. Some of the dunks that he did in warmup were unreal. Also had an excellent handle & a quick first step. He was also able to make some long range shots.

Chris Kumu - Another 6'3" high flyer that had some unbelievable in game dunks.

Will Riley - Started off slow. It was a physical game at times & I could see him get a little frustrated after getting clobbered a couple of times with no call. He may have been the most skilled wing there. Excellent shooting form & was also able to get to the rim pretty easily. I don't think his game is suited as well for an allstar type game, but you could see that he probably had the best all round offensive game compared to other wings.

Hudson Ward - Big, strong, athletic SF that had a very solid all around game. Good defensive instincts. Was able to stay in front of his man. Also very athletic. He had a few very nice dunks. He also had a smooth looking shot from distance. He swished several 3's.

There are others that I am missing for sure, It was hard to keep track. (Sean Blake had a nice game)
All of the other years I went, they handed out a paper program with the players numbers & names so you could figure out who was who. This year the budget was probably a little less without the Biosteel sponsorship.

This looked like a really nice crop of players. Most already have multiple Division 1 offers & many have already committed. Really strong group of guards and forwards.

The jerseys & gear that they were wearing was Niice! I wish they were selling some of it. I definitely would have bought one of the T-shirts that they were wearing. (Canadian across the front & the All Canadian logo on the back)

Here is a link to the game:

FYI: Elijah Duval is American. He qualified for the game because he plays at Orangeville Prep.

Nice recap though. I watched the stream. Efeosa Oliogu impressed me as well. He and Riley probably have the most NBA potential I’d say, but the whole class is seriously impressive.

Dunkley-Distant can jump out of the gym. And I hope Rioux gets in the gym with Zach Edey at some point. It’ll be interesting to see what he becomes after 4 years at Florida.
MEDIC
RealGM

Post#290 » by MEDIC » Mon Apr 1, 2024 5:43 pm

I didn't know that about Duval. Nice to know that American players of his level are coming north of the border for development.

Good call on Efeosa Oliogu. I did notice him. He is big & athletic. Massive frame. Huge legs and shoulders. Kind of like a 6'6" Lou Dort.

I hope Rioux can make a career for himself somewhere.
bozothepope
Sixth Man

Post#291 » by bozothepope » Mon Apr 1, 2024 9:54 pm

MEDIC wrote:Good call on Efeosa Oliogu. I did notice him. He is big & athletic. Massive frame. Huge legs and shoulders. Kind of like a 6'6" Lou Dort.

I like the taller Dort comp. Or a shorter OG.
MEDIC
RealGM

Post#292 » by MEDIC » Tue Apr 2, 2024 12:48 am

bozothepope wrote:
MEDIC wrote:Good call on Efeosa Oliogu. I did notice him. He is big & athletic. Massive frame. Huge legs and shoulders. Kind of like a 6'6" Lou Dort.

I like the taller Dort comp. Or a shorter OG.

Yeah. He reminds me a lot of OG build wise. He seems less mechanical handling the ball than OG. Similar hops. He checks all the boxes for college star & future NBA player. It will be interesting following his career.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 37,391

Post#293 » by Tor_Raps » Thu Apr 4, 2024 2:17 am

Brandon Clarke has looked really good in his limited minutes. Is there any chance he could play for Canada this summer?

Dude is good enough to be our starting C or at worst a key backup at a position we're severely lacking in.
mojo13
Veteran
And1: 1,884

Post#294 » by mojo13 » Thu Apr 4, 2024 9:16 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:Brandon Clarke has looked really good in his limited minutes. Is there any chance he could play for Canada this summer?

Dude is good enough to be our starting C or at worst a key backup at a position we're severely lacking in.

I highly, highly doubt it, but won't write if off 100%.

He is still coming off the worst injury of his career. He'll be very focussed on health and minimizing off-season injury risk.

He has never played for Canada at any level and has virtually zero ties to the program. Never particpated in a camp, never even shown his face at a camp for all I know. He wasn't even known to be Canadian until he transfered to Gonzaga. Really the closest he has been to the SMNT was when Brooks was a team mate and very likely in his ear about it.

He is not very Canadian. Merely born in Canada and moved to Arizona as a toddler. This matters and we see it with other sports. The pull to play for Canada is usually much weaker with someone who was not raised in the country. He has been asked many times by Canadian reporters and his responses are always fairly meek. Lots of maybes, perhaps in the next cycle, perhaps later in his career etc.

I'm really hoping we see him at some point play for Canada. I'm not sure it will ever happen and I'm fairly sure it will not happen this summer. But I welcome to basktball gods to suprise me....
BilboBanginz
Pro Prospect
And1: 657

Post#295 » by BilboBanginz » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:36 pm

Weeks old news but Will Riley will replace Melvin Ajinca on the Nike Hoop Summit World Team, meaning the streak of Canadians on the Hoop Summit World Team stays alive. The last time the World Team was without a Canadian was 2009.

Prior to the 2009 we had;
Devoe Joseph in 2008
Marvell Waithe in 2006 (who???)
Jevohn Shepherd in 2005
Chris Exilus in 2000 (never heard of him but I wasn't following basketball at the time)

Really puts into perspective how far we've come when you look back at the best Canada had to offer 15-20 years ago.

The game is this Saturday at 7:30EST

Read on Twitter
mojo13
Veteran
And1: 1,884

Post#296 » by mojo13 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:18 pm

Waithe and Exilus are certainly not household names.

Waithe did a couple Juco years at Talahasee CC and then 2 bench years at Arkansas. He then had a number of semi-productive seasons in the Canadian NBL (maybe 1 in a minor European league), but that is the extent of it.

Exilus had a similarly unimressive college career that cumulated with two bench seasons at DePaul. I dont think there is any pro career to speak of, but he moved into coaching and is currently the head coach of the the CEBL Champions - Scarborough Shooting Stars.
aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,459

Post#297 » by aminiaturebuddha » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:47 am

Congrats to Aaliyah Edwards for being drafted 6th overall in the WNBA draft!

The Canadian women have been consistently better than the men until just recently, but they also seem to be only getting stronger. Next year Yvonne Ejim (Melvin's younger sister) will probably be a top pick as well, and two of the top 10 prospects coming into the NCAA next year are Canadian - Syla Swords and Toby Fournier.

Just a great time for Canadian basketball all around.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,697

Post#298 » by WaltFrazier » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:33 am

Jordi Fernandez getting the Nets job, per Wiretap. I hope it won't affect his Canada commitment like Nurse a year ago
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
PushDaRock
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,372

Post#299 » by PushDaRock » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:36 am

WaltFrazier wrote:Jordi Fernandez getting the Nets job, per Wiretap. I hope it won't affect his Canada commitment like Nurse a year ago

It probably will, I can't see an organization hiring a first time coach not wanting them available for the entire off season.
Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,891

Post#300 » by Kingsway_fan » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:07 am

aminiaturebuddha wrote:Congrats to Aaliyah Edwards for being drafted 6th overall in the WNBA draft!

The Canadian women have been consistently better than the men until just recently, but they also seem to be only getting stronger. Next year Yvonne Ejim (Melvin's younger sister) will probably be a top pick as well, and two of the top 10 prospects coming into the NCAA next year are Canadian - Syla Swords and Toby Fournier.

Just a great time for Canadian basketball all around.

Indeed! Women and Men's team.
Just got my tickets for women's Gold Game Paris.. hopefully canada vs USA!
Also secured Mens Basketball Canada vs Spain in Lille Qualifying round, and in Paris, one of the Men's Quarterfinals matches...
PARIS Olympics Men's and Women's matches will be exciting.

Return to Toronto Raptors