ImageImageImageImageImage

Team Canada Basketball Thread V4.0

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

And1Skip
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,752

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V4.0 

Post#301 » by And1Skip » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:01 pm

Read on Twitter
aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,462

Post#302 » by aminiaturebuddha » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:45 pm

And1Skip wrote:
Read on Twitter

Just saw this on Canada Basketball's Instagram account. Very good news. It would have been awful to start over with a new coach for the second straight year.

Now that he's going to stick around, I wonder if this increases the chances of Trey Lyles getting in on the last frontcourt spot. He wasn't part of the core commitment group, but he has good history with the national program, and quietly had a decent year off the bench for the Kings.

Assuming they're healthy and available to play, it seems Olynyk, Powell, and Edey probably have 3 spots locked up. That leaves one or two others. Ejim was part of the core group, and Kyle Alexander played last year, but I could see Lyles being asked to camp depending on how firm they are on the "Core 14" having guaranteed spots.
Consequence
Lead Assistant
And1: 254

Post#303 » by Consequence » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:26 pm

aminiaturebuddha wrote:
And1Skip wrote:
Read on Twitter

Just saw this on Canada Basketball's Instagram account. Very good news. It would have been awful to start over with a new coach for the second straight year.

Now that he's going to stick around, I wonder if this increases the chances of Trey Lyles getting in on the last frontcourt spot. He wasn't part of the core commitment group, but he has good history with the national program, and quietly had a decent year off the bench for the Kings.

Assuming they're healthy and available to play, it seems Olynyk, Powell, and Edey probably have 3 spots locked up. That leaves one or two others. Ejim was part of the core group, and Kyle Alexander played last year, but I could see Lyles being asked to camp depending on how firm they are on the "Core 14" having guaranteed spots.

Would love Lyles on the team. I’m not sure that they’ll leave all three non-NBA guys if Lyles and someone else, say one of the Pacers guys or Wiggins wants to play. It’ll be a tough call, Scrubb, Alexander, and Bell have given a lot to the team.
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,777

Post#304 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:35 am

We absof*ckinglultely need Jamal Murray on this team. He is HIM! What a amazing game winning shot over the Lakers to steal Game 2!
seanbig
RealGM
And1: 3,879

Post#305 » by seanbig » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:59 am

Shai one night
Tonight Jamal

Clutch as hell boys let’s go streaking
Official 1,000,000 post crew
Raptor95,Seanbig,Spykelee,ClutchCarter,
aRapsFan4eva,Koz RJC, MAS, Slowlydrowningme,bigdub,GQstylin
aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant

Post#306 » by aminiaturebuddha » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:00 pm

ESPN just released their new BB recruiting rankings for 2025, 2026, and 2027, and it's not looking great for Canadians, especially compared to many similar lists over the last 10 years or so.

There are only 2 Canadians in the 2025 top 100, none in the 2026 top 60, and 1 in the 2027 top 25.

It should be noted that ESPN only includes guys who are playing high school ball in the US, so they've almost certainly left out some good Canadian names, and fewer big name Canadian prospects are feeling the need to head south as schools like Orangeville Prep gain prominence. Still, it seems like there's been a bit of a dip in top talent lately, and that might continue for at least the next two years, at least until 2027.

So here are the names:

#24 - Will Riley
#56 - Jaion Pitt

But here's the good news and bright spot on the horizon:

#3 - Paul Osaruyi

Let's hope some more guys come out of the woodwork over the next couple of years, or are simply choosing to stay and hone their skills in Canadian basketball prep schools.
frumble
Bench Warmer
And1: 710

Post#307 » by frumble » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:38 pm

Osaruyi is listed at 6'9" now, right? Hopefully he gets some more height. We sure could use a C in a few years when Olynyk and Powell retire. (of course we could use another big or two even now).

I hope Lyles play but I believe he is getting married this summer. Even setting that aside, he hasn't played for us much (only once as a pro, at the Victoria qualifiers, where his experience wasn't that positive).
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,989

Post#308 » by MEDIC » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:02 pm

aminiaturebuddha wrote:Let's hope some more guys come out of the woodwork over the next couple of years, or are simply choosing to stay and hone their skills in Canadian basketball prep schools.

Yeah, I don't put a lot of stock in these rankings. It's nice to see the players get acknowledged early, but some don't live up to expectations and many come.out of the woodwork. Elijah Fisher was once considered a 5 star recruit & ranked in the top 50. Then his college career started & you never heard his name.again. He has been in NCAA Divison 1 for two seasons & hasn't done much..

I was impressed with the kids at the All Canadian game this year. I wouldn't be surprised if a few made it to the NBA.

(BTW. I am not down on Fisher. Mabe he needs a few seasons to acclimatize to rhe NCAA & becomes a solid senior. I always liked his game)
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant

Post#309 » by aminiaturebuddha » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:30 pm

frumble wrote:Osaruyi is listed at 6'9" now, right? Hopefully he gets some more height. We sure could use a C in a few years when Olynyk and Powell retire. (of course we could use another big or two even now).

I hope Lyles play but I believe he is getting married this summer. Even setting that aside, he hasn't played for us much (only once as a pro, at the Victoria qualifiers, where his experience wasn't that positive).

Just by the way he plays my guess would be that Osaruyi will end up as a power forward rather than a center. He mostly plays center now, of course, but I think he's got more skills than that. He's still young, so it's hard to say how his skills will continue to develop, but from the little I've watched of him I see a guy who moves really well on the court, with a decent handle for his size and age, and the makings of an outside shot.

Still, any good young bigs will be needed for the national program going forward, regardless of what their best pro position ends up being.
aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant

Post#310 » by aminiaturebuddha » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:33 pm

MEDIC wrote:
aminiaturebuddha wrote:Let's hope some more guys come out of the woodwork over the next couple of years, or are simply choosing to stay and hone their skills in Canadian basketball prep schools.

Yeah, I don't put a lot of stock in these rankings. It's nice to see the players get acknowledged early, but some don't live up to expectations and many come.out of the woodwork. Elijah Fisher was once considered a 5 star recruit & ranked in the top 50. Then his college career started & you never heard his name.again. He has been in NCAA Divison 1 for two seasons & hasn't done much..

I was impressed with the kids at the All Canadian game this year. I wouldn't be surprised if a few made it to the NBA.

(BTW. I am not down on Fisher. Mabe he needs a few seasons to acclimatize to rhe NCAA & becomes a solid senior. I always liked his game)

Yeah, I agree, the rankings themselves I don't care much about, it's more about the number of guys consistently showing up on these lists. And it seems that has slowed down a bit in recent years. I'm not sure it's anything to worry much about - there are ebbs and flows with any talent pool - just something I've noticed.
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,485

Post#311 » by Hair Canada » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:48 am

A couple of thoughts:

1. ESPN is not the best when it comes to scouting the younger high scholl classes, beyond the obvious top players.
2. They don't rank players who play outside of North America. So someone like 2025 Efeosa Oliogu and Marial Akuentok are not on the list. Beyond them (and Riley and Pitt who are mentioned; Riley most likely will reclass to 2024), I would argue for at least two or three other Canadians as top-100 in 2025. Guys like Spencer Ahrens, Baba Durodola, Adriel Nyhora (maybe), and most notably Tristan Beckford, who is currently flying under the radar, but I think will go up the rankings next year. There are a few more dark horses, like Chris Kumu, Austin Goode, and Onyx Nnani, who could break through next year. It's a deep class.
3. 2006 is weak. It's been clear for quite a while now. A real off-year. I agree with no one in the top 100, though I could make an argument for Miles Sadler or Kamai Samuels at toward the end of the list.
4. 2027 looks pretty good early on, though they're still too young to tell. Osaruyi, who I agree is more of a PF, certainly looks quite promising.
“If every basketball player worked as hard as I did, I’d be out of a job.”
— Steve Nash
bozothepope
Sixth Man
And1: 4,225

Post#312 » by bozothepope » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:34 am

Hair Canada wrote:
They don't rank players who play outside of North America. So someone like 2025 Efeosa Oliogu and Marial Akuentok are not on the list.

Doesn’t Oliogu play for Overtime Elite, thus making him eligible for this list? I’ve seen him on previous ESPN lists. I found his exclusion odd.
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,485

Post#313 » by Hair Canada » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:54 am

yeah, you are right. They do have several other Overtime Elite players on the list. Maybe they just don't value Oliogu much. He certainly has his warts (mainly the shooting), but I would still have him as a top-50 in the class.
“If every basketball player worked as hard as I did, I’d be out of a job.”
— Steve Nash

Return to Toronto Raptors