ImageImageImageImageImage

Team Canada Basketball Thread V4.0

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,459

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V4.0 

Post#161 » by aminiaturebuddha » Mon Jan 1, 2024 12:26 am

mojo13 wrote:
Hair Canada wrote:
mojo13 wrote:We may want to start considering that RJ just isn’t very good? He is so inconsistent and inefficient it is maddening. I thought he turned the corner at the start of the season (looked great!) and then he did a 180 and is now looking horrible again.

Yes…still young and perhaps the change in scenery helps. But per the SMNT I’m certainly more of a backer of Dort and maybe even NAW before Barrett.

Unfortunately due to his lineage of I’m not sure the SMNT sees it that way (yet) and this has the potential to be an Achilles heel of the team this summer.

He shouldn’t be starting over Brooks (assuming SGA & Murray are there). Throw Dort, NAW into the mix (maybe Wiggins?) and Barrett should be more an 9th or 10th man? That may be a tough one for Jordi to manage.

I'd say for me that's a bit of an overreaction. I agree that he can be frustrating ot watch. The shooting is unstable and the explosion without a run is lacking (also making him a mediocre defender despite decent effort). But there's an offensive talent here that only lags behind SGA and Murray (though by a large margin). Need only go look at what he's done this summer. Second best scorer on the team with decent shooting (37% from 3 and 53% from 2) and also second best rebounder. And he actually showed up very well in the last three games against Slovenia, Serbia, and the US, with 24 and 9, 23 and 3, and 23 and 7. For reference, Dort scored less than half the points on significantly worse shooting during the tournament.

If Murray's around, I can see a preference for Dort for defensive purposes in some lineups. But RJ is definitely still a starter for me and certainly not a 9th/10th man. Definitely not with how Wiggins has looked this year.

My opinion on Rj’s SNMT summer is that his box scores are very misrepresenting of his actual play. Much of his points came late game when the game was out of hand or gimmies generated by teammates. I felt he made crucial boneheaded play after boneheaded play in more than a couple games. Forcing contested threes, driving into 2-3 bigs into the paint and coughing up a bad shot or just simple unforced turnovers. He was infuriating to watch at times yet admittedly he often come back down the floor and make a great play. I was cringing half the time when the ball was in his hands and he was trying to make something happen. Despite the attractive box scores he was my disappointment of the World Cup right alongside Olynyk.

After seeing Dort’s big jump in efficiency this season I’d take him over Barrett in almost any scenario.
Wiggins at least has a history of being a good player. With him and RJ both stinking it up right now, I’d role with Wiggins.

If a roster or playing time crunch somehow comes down to RJ and Wiggins, I'd prefer to go with the guy who actually seems to care about playing basketball, has a work ethic, and plays hard...and that definitely isn't Wiggins, at least not for about the past year.
BilboBanginz
Pro Prospect
And1: 656

Post#162 » by BilboBanginz » Tue Jan 2, 2024 6:59 pm

Zach Edey up to #14 on ESPN Top-100 Big Board.

https://www.espn.com/nba/draft/bestavailable?consent_mode=ccpa
TheFutureMM
Rookie
And1: 958

Post#163 » by TheFutureMM » Wed Jan 3, 2024 3:05 am

BilboBanginz wrote:Zach Edey up to #14 on ESPN Top-100 Big Board.

https://www.espn.com/nba/draft/bestavailable?consent_mode=ccpa

I watched the 90% of the Purdue vs Maryland game today (+ won 10 bucks) and left feeling unimpressed with Edey. The reaction time is still slow and a lot of his offensive game is mid-range hook shots against much smaller defenders. He was getting stripped when doubled, got the chair pulled on him for a turnover, etc. Don't get me wrong, he finished with like 23 and 12, which is solid, but it just felt like he got a lot of stuff that I don't see translating at the next level (or wont be as effective as it needs to be). Also had an opportunity to help play some help defence for a teammate that got blown by - about a foot away from him, and he couldn't alter the shot.

I wish he would take a mid-range shot every now and then just to you know, try it. I guess it shows he's coachable / high character to not try to play outside the part of his game that is resulting in wins, but we get it, he can dominate college.

I'm a big defender in not rating draft classes until a couple years after the fact but I think him at 14 speaks a lot to the strength of the talent available. I definitely think he's worth a flyer, but I think I'd be skeptical, in a draft taking him higher than 25 (arbitrary I know). I'm not sure he's going to be a good enough defender to stay on the floor and I don't think the offence is modern or guaranteed enough to make up for it.
aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant

Post#164 » by aminiaturebuddha » Sat Jan 6, 2024 5:11 pm

Thinking again about the team for this summer's Olympics. Let's say that Edey does the usual rookie thing and concentrates on summer league and team mandated development and isn't available. As we've all lamented before, that leaves Olynyk and Powell...and not much else in terms of big man depth.

But here's something that's been a surprise to me: Tristan Thompson is on an NBA roster and actually getting minutes. I wonder if he's got one more Team Canada run left in him. We all know his limitations, but the things he's good at, rebounding and defence, he still seems to be doing at a decent level (TRB% of 18.1 this season). He might actually be our best option for a situational bench big who can come in and grab some rebounds when the team needs someone to bang inside with some of the tougher centers and power forwards on other teams.

Trey Lyles is also quietly having a decent season off the bench for Sacramento, with his 3pt% up to 41% on 4 attempts per game.

I know neither of them are on the "summer core" list, but maybe they merit serious consideration if they're interested. They've both played a number of times for Canada in the past. And they'd be a good bench duo because they would provide very different and complementary things - Lyles the offence and shooting, and Thompson the rebounding and defence. Ejim could round out the group as the 5th "big".

I'm not convinced of anything yet, but it's just a thought as I see both of them playing regular minutes this year in the NBA and not falling on their faces.
arbsn
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,627

Post#165 » by arbsn » Sat Jan 6, 2024 8:05 pm

aminiaturebuddha wrote:Thinking again about the team for this summer's Olympics. Let's say that Edey does the usual rookie thing and concentrates on summer league and team mandated development and isn't available. As we've all lamented before, that leaves Olynyk and Powell...and not much else in terms of big man depth.

But here's something that's been a surprise to me: Tristan Thompson is on an NBA roster and actually getting minutes. I wonder if he's got one more Team Canada run left in him. We all know his limitations, but the things he's good at, rebounding and defence, he still seems to be doing at a decent level (TRB% of 18.1 this season). He might actually be our best option for a situational bench big who can come in and grab some rebounds when the team needs someone to bang inside with some of the tougher centers and power forwards on other teams.

Trey Lyles is also quietly having a decent season off the bench for Sacramento, with his 3pt% up to 41% on 4 attempts per game.

I know neither of them are on the "summer core" list, but maybe they merit serious consideration if they're interested. They've both played a number of times for Canada in the past. And they'd be a good bench duo because they would provide very different and complementary things - Lyles the offence and shooting, and Thompson the rebounding and defence. Ejim could round out the group as the 5th "big".

I'm not convinced of anything yet, but it's just a thought as I see both of them playing regular minutes this year in the NBA and not falling on their faces.

Agreed. TT has put enough time in to get a spot. I prefer him to Edey. He has NBA championship experience and can be a leader for the team even if he doesn’t play much.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,058

Post#166 » by ItsDanger » Sat Jan 6, 2024 8:19 pm

Lyles is a PF, got abused in Victoria against bigger C's. His shooting would help but he's a liability in the paint.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
TheFutureMM
Rookie

Post#167 » by TheFutureMM » Mon Jan 8, 2024 3:45 am

Houstan started in this one, played big minutes, shot 50% from 3, and had a couple good passes. Highlights are pretty comprehensive.

All of it feels pretty random lol. He's turning 21 in a couple days - I keep forgetting how young he was when he got drafted.
Chalky_White
Senior
And1: 629

Post#168 » by Chalky_White » Mon Jan 8, 2024 4:01 am

TheFutureMM wrote:

Houstan started in this one, played big minutes, shot 50% from 3, and had a couple good passes. Highlights are pretty comprehensive.

All of it feels pretty random lol. He's turning 21 in a couple days - I keep forgetting how young he was when he got drafted.

He was one of the top under-18 prospects entering college. Hopefully can develop into a decent nba wing.
mojo13
Veteran
And1: 1,884

Post#169 » by mojo13 » Tue Jan 9, 2024 8:53 pm

aminiaturebuddha wrote:Thinking again about the team for this summer's Olympics. Let's say that Edey does the usual rookie thing and concentrates on summer league and team mandated development and isn't available. As we've all lamented before, that leaves Olynyk and Powell...and not much else in terms of big man depth.

In a normal draft year, I'd say there is no way Edey plays this summer. But considering it is the first Olympics since 2000 I will reserve a small chance that he wants it enough to play anyways. Other nations have been able to pull in recent draftees to NT duties from time to time. Far from the norm, but it does happen.

Regardless don't forget Kyle Alexander is out there and having a really good season in Europe (but alos not part of the "summer core"). I liked him more than Edey this summer due to his defensive mobility, rebounding and rim protection and how that fits with this team. He is a more realistic option than Tristan Thompson and maybe a near equivalant player considering his FIBA experience. Kabengele is have a very good season in Europe as well byt has no ties of yet to the SMNT. Who knows what is going on with Khem Birch, but supposedly he is healthy (but not playing). I don't have any expectations for him, but you never know.

Trey Lyles, as noted elsewhere, is a very different player than Edey, TT, Alexander and Birch. So tough to compare, but I'd be happy to have him.
frumble
Bench Warmer
And1: 710

Post#170 » by frumble » Tue Jan 9, 2024 11:52 pm

I doubt we'll have Lyles.
And even if Edey is there, I doubt he plays any more than he did last summer.
We really could use another big (or a bigger role for Alexander).
TheFutureMM
Rookie

Post#171 » by TheFutureMM » Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:42 am

Anyone watching Purdue tonight? Edey at 14 on that ESPN mock draft might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

Nebraska has game planned perfectly for him tonight. Doubling him in the post, making him set-up for post-ups way farther away from the basket, trying to get him in defensive switches.

He looks awful.
mojo13
Veteran
And1: 1,884

Post#172 » by mojo13 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:39 pm

TT making noise about playing in the Olympics:
https://www.sportsnet.ca/nba/article/how-canadian-tristan-thompson-went-from-espn-back-to-the-nba/

“Yeah, I’ll play in Paris. I talked Rowan [Barrett], talked to Jordi [Fernandez]. So, we're talking, we're talking.”

More in the link.

I don't know... he's playing decent of late in a rotational role on a solid team. We are so shallow at bigs....maybe...
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,574

Post#173 » by DreamTeam09 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:42 pm

TheFutureMM wrote:Anyone watching Purdue tonight? Edey at 14 on that ESPN mock draft might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

Nebraska has game planned perfectly for him tonight. Doubling him in the post, making him set-up for post-ups way farther away from the basket, trying to get him in defensive switches.

He looks awful.

You wouldn't be able to get away with that in the NBA with more spacing. Well if a team did they would get killed if he could pass hopefully

In Raptor Ball I Trust
TheFutureMM
Rookie

Post#174 » by TheFutureMM » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:22 pm

DreamTeam09 wrote:
TheFutureMM wrote:Anyone watching Purdue tonight? Edey at 14 on that ESPN mock draft might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

He looks awful.

You wouldn't be able to get away with that in the NBA with more spacing. Well if a team did they would get killed if he could pass hopefully

Definitely not. Purdue has been running him with Trae Kofman-Renn next to him at the 4, who is a throw-back back to the basket big - which clogged up the paint allowing for the double. Matt Painter in my opinion waited WAY too long to sub him out and put Gillis out there next to Zach (Gillis can shoot/space). Once Gillis was out there, Purdue had a chance to catch-up - they still lost because Nebraska's guards were bigger and really pushing Purdue's guards out of their comfort zone.

Still though, a number of the big-men that Zach faces night after night are very undersized relative to the average NBA big. He's going to struggle to get that same hook-shot over a Nurkic, Horford, Poltel, etc.

I wish we could see him shoot a 15 footer. Just quick pull up off a P&R to prove he can do it. I understand why they don't have him recklessly challenge every shot from the help-side, they can't risk him picking up fouls, but offensively he should be trying to do more.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,058

Post#175 » by ItsDanger » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:36 pm

That's Lively, on Dallas currently. And yes, he scored on the shot. The physical reality is that it's very hard to block that shot given the height/arm length plus jumping a little.

In college, single coverage usually means 25-35 pts on high efficiency for Edey. He gets double/triple teamed for a reason while getting fouled a lot. Lot of college teams play 3 guard lineups, poor/inconsistent shooting, non elite rim finishers, have poor spacing, etc. That is much different in NBA, where doubling results in high % shots for someone else.

I don't know if overall he translates in NBA, requires a certain style. Most teams won't be interested. But an early 2nd rounder, the risk is worth it. Because if it does work, other teams don't have someone like him.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,925

Post#176 » by JN » Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:10 am

Watching the Georgia Tech at Duke game.

Toronto's Nathean George a freshman at Georgia Tech is having a heck of a game at Duke (17 points, 4 assists) trying to lead a not so good Tech team to its second major upset of Duke this year. Looks like they will come up just short. George also re-classed so he got to Tech 1 year early from what the announcers just said.

Can't say I am following Canadadian collegiate players much this year, but for those that follow Canadian high school basketball was George considered one of the countries future players, or is he not at that level?
aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant

Post#177 » by aminiaturebuddha » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:12 pm

Tristan Thompson was just suspended 25 games by the NBA for using a growth hormone.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/39370359/cavaliers-tristan-thompson-suspended-nba-25-games

I would expect that probably closes the book on his slim chances of suiting up again for Canada this summer. Team Canada would be extremely unlikely to take a chance on something like that in the Olympics and risk having a potential medal vacated.
Chalky_White
Senior

Post#178 » by Chalky_White » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:09 pm

USA Basketball announces they'll be facing Canada in Las Vegas on July 10 in a pre-olympic Exhibition.

https://www.usab.com/news/2024/01/usa-basketball-announces-2024-usa-mens-national-team-player-pool

Should be a good game but will make the travel a bit tricky for Canada. Training camp in Toronto, then they have to fly southwest to Vegas and then transatlantic flight to Germany. A location like New York would've been best but it is what it is. Team USA has the upper hand in these sort of negotiations.
aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant

Post#179 » by aminiaturebuddha » Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:06 am

Chalky_White wrote:USA Basketball announces they'll be facing Canada in Las Vegas on July 10 in a pre-olympic Exhibition.

https://www.usab.com/news/2024/01/usa-basketball-announces-2024-usa-mens-national-team-player-pool

Should be a good game but will make the travel a bit tricky for Canada. Training camp in Toronto, then they have to fly southwest to Vegas and then transatlantic flight to Germany. A location like New York would've been best but it is what it is. Team USA has the upper hand in these sort of negotiations.

It's always good to get warm up games against good teams to give them a sense of things they need to focus on in order to improve.

Canada Basketball is also advertising the game on their Insta feed. And FYI, the players they have in the graphic are SGA, Brooks, Dort, Barrett, NAW, Olynyk, and Powell. Basically the core 7 NBA players from last summer. Probably gives us a sense of what their thinking is about the roster at this point in time. You'd have to assume that Murray will also be a lock if he's available. And that probably means that the real question marks begin with the remaining 4 roster spots.
Chalky_White
Senior

Post#180 » by Chalky_White » Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:38 am

aminiaturebuddha wrote:
Chalky_White wrote:USA Basketball announces they'll be facing Canada in Las Vegas on July 10 in a pre-olympic Exhibition.

It's always good to get warm up games against good teams to give them a sense of things they need to focus on in order to improve.

Canada Basketball is also advertising the game on their Insta feed. And FYI, the players they have in the graphic are SGA, Brooks, Dort, Barrett, NAW, Olynyk, and Powell. Basically the core 7 NBA players from last summer. Probably gives us a sense of what their thinking is about the roster at this point in time. You'd have to assume that Murray will also be a lock if he's available. And that probably means that the real question marks begin with the remaining 4 roster spots.

Should be great preparation. CB also say more exhibition games will be announced in the next couple weeks. Hopefully there's at least one game in Canada before they leave so fans have a chance to see what should be a great team and give them a nice send-off.

Return to Toronto Raptors