ImageImageImageImageImage

Team Canada Basketball Thread V4.0

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,459

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V4.0 

Post#201 » by aminiaturebuddha » Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:49 pm

Glad both Canadian teams are in the Olympics, but nerve racking that the women left it to chance by not taking care of business against Japan.

In the end, it didn't matter, because obviously Spain played to win, but it's weird that the games were staggered like that. In the FIFA World Cup, for instance, the last games of group stage are always played simultaneously to ensure that all the games are equally competitive in terms of what the teams have to play for. I'm not sure why they organized a 4-team tournament, where the "winners" are decided on tie-breakers, but staggered the games.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,658

Post#202 » by WaltFrazier » Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:36 pm

aminiaturebuddha wrote:Glad both Canadian teams are in the Olympics, but nerve racking that the women left it to chance by not taking care of business against Japan.

In the end, it didn't matter, because obviously Spain played to win, but it's weird that the games were staggered like that. In the FIFA World Cup, for instance, the last games of group stage are always played simultaneously to ensure that all the games are equally competitive in terms of what the teams have to play for. I'm not sure why they organized a 4-team tournament, where the "winners" are decided on tie-breakers, but staggered the games.

Weren't they only using one court, one arena? Or not
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant

Post#203 » by aminiaturebuddha » Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:12 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:
aminiaturebuddha wrote:Glad both Canadian teams are in the Olympics, but nerve racking that the women left it to chance by not taking care of business against Japan.

Sure, but I would guess that Hungary has more than one arena. I'm just saying it's something that should probably be built into the bids, planning, and scheduling for these tournaments.
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#204 » by WaltFrazier » Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:24 pm

aminiaturebuddha wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:

Sure, but I would guess that Hungary has more than one arena. I'm just saying it's something that should probably be built into the bids, planning, and scheduling for these tournaments.

I hear you, but this was only a four team competition right? There may be an element of financial/ ticket sales considerations that would be dissipated if you had two venues. Was this the same level qualifier as the Men hosted in BC last Olympics? That was only one venue used wasn't it?
aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant

Post#205 » by aminiaturebuddha » Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:44 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:
aminiaturebuddha wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:Weren't they only using one court, one arena? Or not

I hear you, but this was only a four team competition right? There may be an element of financial/ ticket sales considerations that would be dissipated if you had two venues. Was this the same level qualifier as the Men hosted in BC last Olympics? That was only one venue used wasn't it?

Yes, same level. And possibly that was the calculation, that the monetary implications were too much.

I just think that it's the kind of thing that could cause controversy in the future. For instance, what if in place of Spain and Canada there had been two teams with a bitter rivalry? I mean, there were two European teams there, what if it was Serbia and Bosnia or something similar?

What would stop a team that had already qualified from sitting a couple of its key players? In such a short tournament where each team only plays 3 games, that would be a massive imbalance in competitivity.
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,927

Post#206 » by JN » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:29 am

mojo13 wrote:
Chalky_White wrote:
bozothepope wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=46

I heard he was having a good freshman season.

This is really unfortunate. He showed big scoring potential at the U19s and was looking forward to watching his progress.

Hopefully he figures it out sooner rather than later.

Allette was putting up one of the best freshman seasons by a Canadian of all time. Probably top 5 ppg-wise. Top 3 freshman scorers in the country this season.

Reading into it the "Conduct unbecoming a Monarch" it sure looks to put the blame on Allette. I'm not sure that is the case. Head coach that recruited Allette dies, interim coach has been terrible, horrible record, butting heads with the star freshman, then freshman says I don't need this. "Conduct unbecoming a Monarch" could be anything - a verbal disagreement with a headstrong coach?

Let's see where he ends up, but reading Twitter the fan base sure seems to hate the interim coach. But also think Allette is a ball-hog chucker.

Hoping it was only some attitude issues (being late for practices, perhaps a run in with a coach) and nothing more than that.

In the new transfer world, it becomes easier for Old Dominion to pull the plug for more minor things especially since they were struggling... based on level of performance alone Allete seemed like a high transfer risk to a better conference (+ some modest but better NIL cut)

No need to have a problem around, even if they are minor things, if that player is going to leave. Rather than working with a player to fix them, you let the next program deal with it.
Consequence
Lead Assistant
And1: 253

Post#207 » by Consequence » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:29 pm

Good squad for the timing of this game.
Read on Twitter
mojo13
Veteran
And1: 1,884

Post#208 » by mojo13 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:51 pm

Consequence wrote:Good squad for the timing of this game.
Read on Twitter

A truely excellent squad given the circumstances. AmeriCup Qualfiers home and away versus Nicaragua!
I'm sure a few of these guys being bubble players for the Olympic team has allot to do with it. Wiltjer and Alexander the most obvious ones.

Depth chart will look something like this:

TBH (Keane)
Phil Scrubb (Johnny B / Best)
Rowe (Kigab)
Wiltjer (Kennedy)
Alexander (Young)

SF is likely the most uncertain. Could easily see Aaron Best starting in a 3 guard line-up. Actually may be more likely.
Other 4 starters are seemingly locks.

For those that arn't really following these guys in europe, we are looking at 1 or 2 of our top 3-4 guys at each postion in Europe. So we are working with a really strong deck here.

TBH, Keane, Scrubb, Johnny B, Best, Wiltjer, Alexander are well established Euro vets in good leagues and all having strong seasons.

Rowe is the outlier here and the only guy playing in the G-League but playing fairly well.
https://gleague.nba.com/player/1642050/jackson-rowe
Kigab started in Slovakia but quickly played himself into the German BBL and is doing well. Will be interesting to see how much he has improved. KJennedy is playing really well in his rookie season in Germany. Although he has no range, can't hit a three, but he's shooting 70 FG% and rebounding well.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,458

Post#209 » by WuTang_OG » Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:15 am

Congrats to the women
BilboBanginz
Pro Prospect
And1: 656

Post#210 » by BilboBanginz » Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:47 pm

Kinda wild that Edey is having one of the greatest individual seasons in NCAA history yet Canadian broadcasters have barely shown any of his games.
mojo13
Veteran
And1: 1,884

Post#211 » by mojo13 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:01 pm

BilboBanginz wrote:Kinda wild that Edey is having one of the greatest individual seasons in NCAA history yet Canadian broadcasters have barely shown any of his games.

Maybe you can tell them that he used to play hockey. That may work.
Statistician MK
Junior
And1: 426

Post#212 » by Statistician MK » Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:37 pm

I would like to see THIS TEAM next year in Paris...
I think it would be realistic to expect to win an Olympic medal...

These are the current statistics 'per game' and 'per 36 min.'

Alternatives:
Nickeil Alexander-Walker, Oshae Brissett, Cory Joseph, Trae Bell-Haynes, Kassius Robertson...
We all have different opinions, and that is one thing that makes this forum great.
bozothepope
Sixth Man
And1: 4,225

Post#213 » by bozothepope » Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:37 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46
Chalky_White
Senior
And1: 629

Post#214 » by Chalky_White » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:53 pm

BilboBanginz wrote:Kinda wild that Edey is having one of the greatest individual seasons in NCAA history yet Canadian broadcasters have barely shown any of his games.

NCAA basketball doesnt resonate the way it once did. Melo mentioned on his podcast that Zach Edey years back likely wouldve been one of the most famous athletes in the country with the numbers he's been putting up at Purdue.

He was making an overall point about how the players moving around so much lessened the popularity of the sport.
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#215 » by WaltFrazier » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:22 pm

Did they even show the Purdue game in Toronto? I can't remember
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#216 » by WaltFrazier » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:28 pm

mojo13 wrote:
Consequence wrote:Good squad for the timing of this game.
Read on Twitter

A truely excellent squad given the circumstances. AmeriCup Qualfiers home and away versus Nicaragua!
I'm sure a few of these guys being bubble players for the Olympic team has allot to do with it. Wiltjer and Alexander the most obvious ones.

Depth chart will look something like this:

TBH (Keane)
Phil Scrubb (Johnny B / Best)
Rowe (Kigab)
Wiltjer (Kennedy)
Alexander (Young)

SF is likely the most uncertain. Could easily see Aaron Best starting in a 3 guard line-up. Actually may be more likely.
Other 4 starters are seemingly locks.

For those that arn't really following these guys in europe, we are looking at 1 or 2 of our top 3-4 guys at each postion in Europe. So we are working with a really strong deck here.

TBH, Keane, Scrubb, Johnny B, Best, Wiltjer, Alexander are well established Euro vets in good leagues and all having strong seasons.

Rowe is the outlier here and the only guy playing in the G-League but playing fairly well.
https://gleague.nba.com/player/1642050/jackson-rowe
Kigab started in Slovakia but quickly played himself into the German BBL and is doing well. Will be interesting to see how much he has improved. KJennedy is playing really well in his rookie season in Germany. Although he has no range, can't hit a three, but he's shooting 70 FG% and rebounding well.

Where was the training camp?

Who's coaching?

Anyone going to the game Friday in St Catharines?
Consequence
Lead Assistant
And1: 253

Post#217 » by Consequence » Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:59 pm

Training camp was in St. Catharine's.

Nate Bjorkgren is coaching.

I'm going!
frumble
Bench Warmer
And1: 710

Post#218 » by frumble » Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:19 pm

Looks like Alexander, Wiltjer, Kigab, and Johnny B aren't on the final roster.

https://www.basketball.ca/team-canada-en/senior-mens-national-team-americup-2025-qualifiers-window1

They only list 10 on the roster, so it seems that these guys didn't show up? Or were injured?

Anyway, Canada with an easy win over Nicaragua in the home leg.

https://www.basketball.ca/news/canada-deliver-96-51-statement-victory-over-nicaragua-to-kick-off-fiba-mens-americup-2025-qualifiers
BilboBanginz
Pro Prospect
And1: 656

Post#219 » by BilboBanginz » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:40 pm

aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant

Post#220 » by aminiaturebuddha » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:39 pm

Isn't he high school class of 2025 though?

Is there talk that he'll re-classify? I don't think he's committed to play anywhere for next season, and it's getting a bit late for NCAA commitments. Would he be going the G-League route then?

Return to Toronto Raptors