ImageImageImageImageImage

Team Canada Basketball Thread V4.0

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,459

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V4.0 

Post#181 » by aminiaturebuddha » Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:40 am

I was checking up on some of the younger Canadians and just noticed that Charles Bediako suffered a torn meniscus in late December and was released from his two-way contract by San Antonio. Bad news for his development. Injuries like that are random obviously, but I can't help but wondering, as I did at the time, if it was a mistake for him to leave Alabama after only one year.

Apparently he'll only be out 6-8 weeks, so maybe there's a chance he catches on with another G-League team, but unlikely he gets another two-way this year. He'll have to hope that he can show enough between the time he gets back and this summer to get a two-way for next season.
bozothepope
Sixth Man
And1: 4,225

Post#182 » by bozothepope » Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:14 am

Read on Twitter
?s=46

I heard he was having a good freshman season.
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,485

Post#183 » by Hair Canada » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:00 am

aminiaturebuddha wrote:I was checking up on some of the younger Canadians and just noticed that Charles Bediako suffered a torn meniscus in late December and was released from his two-way contract by San Antonio. Bad news for his development. Injuries like that are random obviously, but I can't help but wondering, as I did at the time, if it was a mistake for him to leave Alabama after only one year.

Apparently he'll only be out 6-8 weeks, so maybe there's a chance he catches on with another G-League team, but unlikely he gets another two-way this year. He'll have to hope that he can show enough between the time he gets back and this summer to get a two-way for next season.

Bediako was actually at Alabama for two years. Regardless, I think he's too limited offensively for the NBA. Should head to Europe.
“If every basketball player worked as hard as I did, I’d be out of a job.”
— Steve Nash
aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant

Post#184 » by aminiaturebuddha » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:43 pm

Hair Canada wrote:
aminiaturebuddha wrote:I was checking up on some of the younger Canadians and just noticed that Charles Bediako suffered a torn meniscus in late December and was released from his two-way contract by San Antonio. Bad news for his development. Injuries like that are random obviously, but I can't help but wondering, as I did at the time, if it was a mistake for him to leave Alabama after only one year.

Bediako was actually at Alabama for two years. Regardless, I think he's too limited offensively for the NBA. Should head to Europe.

Yep, you're right, some temporary forgetfulness on his years at Alabama.

I agree that he should head to Europe sooner rather than later. I think his best route would be something similar to the Kyle Alexander path, another guy who seemed to have a limited offensive game in college. Although I'm not sure that Bediako will develop a decent outside shot like Alexander has that he now uses in Europe. He's bigger than Alexander though.
Chalky_White
Senior
And1: 629

Post#185 » by Chalky_White » Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:15 pm

bozothepope wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=46

This is really unfortunate. He showed big scoring potential at the U19s and was looking forward to watching his progress.

Hopefully he figures it out sooner rather than later.
Consequence
Lead Assistant
And1: 253

Post#186 » by Consequence » Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:36 pm

Got my ticket for the USA -Canada warm up in Vegas today. Also going to watch the Americup team play in St Catharine’s in a few weeks. Not going to the actual Olympics but doing my best to support.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,501
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#187 » by SharoneWright » Thu Feb 1, 2024 4:01 am

Consequence wrote:Got my ticket for the USA -Canada warm up in Vegas today. Also going to watch the Americup team play in St Catherine’s in a few weeks. Not going to the actual Olympics but doing my best to support.

Love it!

St. Catharines —- my home town!
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
Consequence
Lead Assistant
And1: 253

Post#188 » by Consequence » Thu Feb 1, 2024 1:02 pm

SharoneWright wrote:
Consequence wrote:Got my ticket for the USA -Canada warm up in Vegas today. Also going to watch the Americup team play in St Catherine’s in a few weeks. Not going to the actual Olympics but doing my best to support.

Love it!

St. Catharines —- my home town!

Blaming that on autocorrect!
mojo13
Veteran
And1: 1,884

Post#189 » by mojo13 » Thu Feb 1, 2024 6:12 pm

Chalky_White wrote:
bozothepope wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=46

This is really unfortunate. He showed big scoring potential at the U19s and was looking forward to watching his progress.

Allette was putting up one of the best freshman seasons by a Canadian of all time. Probably top 5 ppg-wise. Top 3 freshman scorers in the country this season.

Reading into it the "Conduct unbecoming a Monarch" it sure looks to put the blame on Allette. I'm not sure that is the case. Head coach that recruited Allette dies, interim coach has been terrible, horrible record, butting heads with the star freshman, then freshman says I don't need this. "Conduct unbecoming a Monarch" could be anything - a verbal disagreement with a headstrong coach?

Let's see where he ends up, but reading Twitter the fan base sure seems to hate the interim coach. But also think Allette is a ball-hog chucker.
aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant

Post#190 » by aminiaturebuddha » Thu Feb 1, 2024 6:27 pm

mojo13 wrote:
Chalky_White wrote:
bozothepope wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=46

Allette was putting up one of the best freshman seasons by a Canadian of all time. Probably top 5 ppg-wise. Top 3 freshman scorers in the country this season.

Reading into it the "Conduct unbecoming a Monarch" it sure looks to put the blame on Allette. I'm not sure that is the case. Head coach that recruited Allette dies, interim coach has been terrible, horrible record, butting heads with the star freshman, then freshman says I don't need this. "Conduct unbecoming a Monarch" could be anything - a verbal disagreement with a headstrong coach?

Let's see where he ends up, but reading Twitter the fan base sure seems to hate the interim coach.

He was definitely one of the bright spots of a fairly weak Canadian freshman class (other higher profile freshman like Michael Nwoko are barely playing). So I really hope that it's something like you suggest - a personality clash between player and coach - rather than a more serious away from the court issue.

One of the saving graces of the lack of exciting freshman for me is that, as some have already pointed out in this thread, a Canadian soph has made a somewhat-unexpected leap. Xaivian Lee has been an absolute stud for a 15-2 Princeton team so far this year. He was quite good as the leading scorer for Canada's U19 team in Hungary last summer, but I still don't think anyone saw this kind of jump coming. I hope Princeton finishes strong so we can see Lee in the NCAA tournament against some top competition.
GP2
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,525

Post#191 » by GP2 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:19 pm

Women's team is in an Olympic qualifier round robin and just lost to Japan. I don't follow enough to know if that's a shocker, but it does mean that the Women's team can only qualify to the Olympics if Spain beats Hungary later today. It looks like Kia Nurse didn't play in this tourney due to injury.

Unfortunately, Spain has already advanced by virtue of beating Canada. They don't really have an incentive to help us and might prefer Hungary to advance.
aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant

Post#192 » by aminiaturebuddha » Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:39 pm

GP2 wrote:Women's team is in an Olympic qualifier round robin and just lost to Japan. I don't follow enough to know if that's a shocker, but it does mean that the Women's team can only qualify to the Olympics if Spain beats Hungary later today. It looks like Kia Nurse didn't play in this tourney due to injury.

Unfortunately, Spain has already advanced by virtue of beating Canada. They don't really have an incentive to help us and might prefer Hungary to advance.

I don't follow the women very closely, but I like to check in every once in a while during key tournaments. I meant to watch that game this morning, and then woke up and got busy with other things and forgot about it. I guess I'm glad I did, looks like a frustrating loss.

It's a shame that Nurse got injured, as she's probably still Canada's best player. And I'm not quite sure what's happened to Amihere. She seems to have totally stagnated as a player. I thought she was going to be Canada's next great player, but she seems to have just become a low usage role player.

The future is still bright on the women's side though. 18-year-old Syla Swords was on the team, and while she's not ready to contribute much yet, she looks like a future star. And Aaliyah Edwards wasn't there because she's still a senior at UConn, and will almost certainly be a high draft pick for the WNBA draft this year.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,649

Post#193 » by WaltFrazier » Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:14 pm

Spain big comeback down 1, 52 seconds left. Spain on the line. Tied, now up 1
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#194 » by WaltFrazier » Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:15 pm

I've caught the 4th quarter, it's been weird cheering for a team I don't know so our girls can back in
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 37,273

Post#195 » by Tor_Raps » Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:17 pm

Thanks to this thread, I tuned in at the perfect time to the game.
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#196 » by WaltFrazier » Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:17 pm

GP2 wrote:Women's team is in an Olympic qualifier round robin and just lost to Japan. I don't follow enough to know if that's a shocker, but it does mean that the Women's team can only qualify to the Olympics if Spain beats Hungary later today. It looks like Kia Nurse didn't play in this tourney due to injury.

Credit to Spain for this comeback, they did go all out
Statistician MK
Junior
And1: 426

Post#197 » by Statistician MK » Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:20 pm

OMG, what a drama...
Canada clinched a berth for the 2024 Paris Games after Spain came back to beat host Hungary 73-72...

Thank you Spain!
Gracias España!
We all have different opinions, and that is one thing that makes this forum great.
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#198 » by WaltFrazier » Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:24 pm

Wow what a finish. As exciting a game as it gets, but funny cheering for Spain as a third party.

Canadian female analyst putting a spin on it, Canada came to play, did a good job. Not, they went 1-2 and backed in. Poor Hungary on home court, having the Olympics snatched away at the last moment.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/basketball/olympics-basketball-kia-nurse-injury-1.7107071

Kind of odd, Kia Nurse out with minor injury but they won't reveal what it is. Disappointing.
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#199 » by WaltFrazier » Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:25 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:Thanks to this thread, I tuned in at the perfect time to the game.

Some finish huh. A reminder how exciting basketball can be at any level.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 37,273

Post#200 » by Tor_Raps » Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:27 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:Thanks to this thread, I tuned in at the perfect time to the game.

Some finish huh. A reminder how exciting basketball can be at any level.

Ya Hungary really choked that one away. Sucks for them doing that at home but I'll take it. Should make the Olympics more fun to watch with both basketball teams there.

Return to Toronto Raptors