ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: What are you listening to?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Westside Gunn
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,079

Re: OT: What are you listening to? 

Post#61 » by Westside Gunn » Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:25 am

DSWC wrote:
Westside Gunn wrote:I need recommendations.

HipHop
Punk Rock
Electric emd house stuff
Youtube lofi mixes that really help in getting work done.

I used to dig for good music but now I just lazily listen to youtube mixes put together by people. Theres this guy named Nicola Armelin who posts some good golden era stuff. I just download an mp3 and save it to my phone .

Punk Rock is mostly my jam...but which era?

My favourite of all time is Bad Religion, then bands like Pennywise/Lagwagon/Welt/Social Distortion.

I like old school rap: Wu/Nas/Freddie Foxxx/Tribe Called Quest/

Musically, I'm all over the map though: My 'big 3' are Bad Religion/USS (Canadian)/Matt Mays (Canadian). I worked with a guy once who said "I'm just not a music snob", and I felt that. I like LOTS of music from different genres, mostly mood-based.

If you Youtube "lofi for studying" you can find some really good stuff and find new music through that.

Give me 3 from each era I guess. I listened to the odd Sum41/Offspring song in the early 2000s. The guitar work was something serious. No MGK please. Spotify recommended me "In this diary" by the Ataris. Not bad.

Some guy in Detroit resparked my interest in the genre. I was lined up at Eminem's restaurant which went around the building, right next to a concert hall. There was some rock concert going on, and some guy with his girl offered to buy a ticket for me and get me reintroduced to the genre again, a conversation about music out of nowhere.

I had to run back to Canada the same day, but was really grateful to meet people like this.

For rap, Griselda has been on rotation for the last 6 years. They have put out a **** of work for all these years and inspired all these new up state new york rappers. 38 Spesh also releasing quality.
i miss the days when the bricks was only nineteeeeeeeen, i need a 100 right now
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,449

Post#62 » by JRoy » Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:16 am

Corb Lund and the Hurtin Albertans
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
steveholt
Junior
And1: 276

Post#63 » by steveholt » Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:05 pm

Nujabes - After Hanabi
vulture
Head Coach
And1: 5,139

Post#64 » by vulture » Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:16 pm

Altern8 wrote:
vulture wrote:
And1+2 wrote:My musical taste is all over the place... Here are some pretty good albums that I've listened to lately:

Robert Finley - Black Bayou (Blues/Rock)
Tkay Maidza - Sweet Justice (Rap/R&B)
ML Buch - Suntub (Alternative)
Damu the Fudgemunk & Raw Poetic - Away Back In (Jazz Rap)
Young Fathers - Heavy Heavy (Rock)
Flwr Child - Luv n Chaos (R&B)
Jazz Liberatorz - Clin d'oeil (Jazz Rap)
Fatoumata Diawara - Fenfo (Something to Say) (World)
Neal Francis - Changes (Rock)

Fatoumata is incredible. I can't believe she came to perform at a Markham cultural center in 2019.

Concur about how sublime Diawara is.

As for Ebo, any love for Orlando Julius and / or Pat Thomas?

Awesome Tapes from Africa always with sonic heat as well as Strut, BBE, Analog Africa.

Current rotation includes Forever Living Originals material (Sault, Cleo Sol, and affiliate Little Simz), Joni's 3rd volume of the "Archives" series, Tim Maia's nephew Ed Motta's latest full length on MPS, and Pharaoh Sanders's ongoing reissues on Luaka Bop.

https://youtu.be/t4eXmjhudb8?si=CuYyzO9_ZbhXhULf

I just posted Ebo in my first post but I love all of them. Pat Thomas has the voice of an angel man.
bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,511

Post#65 » by bballsparkin » Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:56 am

Michael Jackson - Dirty Diana (Official Video)
[url][/url]

skeler. - 1992

Mikis Theodorakis - America Insurrecta
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,058

Post#66 » by ontnut » Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:59 am

Still? Yep.
In a season where the Raps are "old, overrated, depressing, and bad".... how about a little bit of "fun, uplifting, and youthful" music? (kinda like the wants of...tank nation???!?), instead of worrying about being cool, dark, edgy, or deep.

And the M/V is shot on a ball court!

ImaBeatDatAzz
Analyst
And1: 4,098

Post#67 » by ImaBeatDatAzz » Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:05 am

Chris breezy 4 life
114-110... "Curry lets it fly...CANADA THE NBA TITLE IS YOURS."
Rapsin6
Pro Prospect
And1: 916

Post#68 » by Rapsin6 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:41 pm

I just can’t get into any genre other than Blues and Rock and more specifically classic rock. Jeff Healey is an all time favourite even though I don’t listen any more. Rush is way up there too.
"Ball"
Mad Prophet
Veteran
And1: 725

Post#69 » by Mad Prophet » Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:46 pm

Rapsin6 wrote:I just can’t get into any genre other than Blues and Rock and more specifically classic rock. Jeff Healey is an all time favourite even though I don’t listen any more. Rush is way up there too.

You might like this little-known Canadian band. The casual fan might mistake the vocalist for Geddy.

Rapsin6
Pro Prospect
And1: 916

Post#70 » by Rapsin6 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:32 pm

Mad Prophet wrote:
Rapsin6 wrote:I just can’t get into any genre other than Blues and Rock and more specifically classic rock. Jeff Healey is an all time favourite even though I don’t listen any more. Rush is way up there too.

You might like this little-known Canadian band. The casual fan might mistake the vocalist for Geddy.

Cool. I’ll give it a listen.
"Ball"
Merit
Head Coach
And1: 2,907

Post#71 » by Merit » Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:42 pm

MadDogSHWA wrote:Ok google...
* chirp *

Spotify Fat Joe.

I've been listening to a lot of the interviews he's been doing and it's made me go back and listen to his music.

He was at the NBA cup game on the 17th.
I believe in Masai.
Merit
Head Coach

Post#72 » by Merit » Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:42 pm

Duffman100 wrote:Big into banjo type music.

There's a little known band named Caamp that I love. Sons of the East, Noah Kahan, San Fermin.

Also back in to JJ Cale lately.

Steve Martin - the comedian. He's pretty legit. Didn't realize he was as talented until I took a listen.
I believe in Masai.
Merit
Head Coach

Post#73 » by Merit » Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:45 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:Been listening to a lot of new stuff recently.

1) Blu & Real Bad Man - Real Bad News - awesome album. Blu's been a favorite of mine for years and RBM has awesome beats

2) B. Cool-Aid - Leather Blvd. - super chill album. Reminds me a bit of "NxWorries" if anyone ever heard that

3) Sufjan Stevens - Javelin - if you have not blessed your ears with Sufjan yet, this is a good place to start

4) Sampha - Lahai - awesome album again. Took him years to make his sophomore album but the wait was worth it

5) The War and Treaty - Lovers Game - not what I typically like to listen to and most of this is pretty meh, but "Ain't No Harmin' Me is worth coming back to

Whats everyones favorite stuff from 2023? My top 5 right now in no particular order right now is

Spoiler:
Danny Brown & JPEGMAFAI - Scaring The Hoes
Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit - Weathervanes
McKinley Dixon - Beloved! Paradise! Jazz?
Jessie Ware - That! Feels Good!
Armanda Hammer - We Buy Diabetic Test Strips OR Billy Woods - Maps (cannot decide)

I've been loving the Jordan Ward FORWARD album, but my number 1 is Victoria Monet's Jaguar II. That has been on repeat. Aside from those, a lot of "binaural beats for focus", haha.

Thanks for the share! Will give your suggestions a listen!
I believe in Masai.
Merit
Head Coach

Post#74 » by Merit » Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:52 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:london rap

My 15-year old son is playing a lot of Dave and some other English guys in the car. Not bad. I'm much more of an early 90s jazz hip hop guy. Although my tradition since the 2018 Lebronto sweep has been to play Deltron 3000 to cheer up after the Raptors lose in the playoffs.

On another note, someone on Twitter just raved about these guys (and gal).I guess they're alright. OK, on fully listening, they're amazing.
[youtube]
[/youtube]

khruangbin are unreal.
I believe in Masai.
Merit
Head Coach

Post#75 » by Merit » Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:54 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:
lobosloboslobos wrote: plus wild women with guitars always get my full attention. i can't help it. it's why pj harvey is permanently on my playlist.

Loved PJ back in the 90s. Saw a few of her shows in Glasgow and Toronto.

How about a wild woman with a piano? That would be Hiromi. Classical training with a jazz-funk-Dream Theatre soul. So much good stuff over her career, but here's her latest.

;t=235s

Saw her live at the Rose in Brampton. Anthony Jackson is a MF legend.

Have you seen her film Blue Giant yet? It was in theatres in Toronto but only for one day.

Her rhythm changes are the closest to Oscar Peterson we have right now.

This one is an oldie but a goodie:

[YouTube] https://youtu.be/CY5dTBhRxOA?si=Kae2XfZz3DoffNt2 [/youtube]
I believe in Masai.
Merit
Head Coach

Post#76 » by Merit » Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:00 pm

ruckus wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:Big into banjo type music.

There's a little known band named Caamp that I love. Sons of the East, Noah Kahan, San Fermin.

Also back in to JJ Cale lately.

I had Stick Season on repeat a few weeks back.

Don't really vibe with modern hiphop and rnb but there's a few things I like from Central Cee and Coast Contra.

I just find myself going backwards mostly in terms of music. Was pumping the original New York Undercover soundtrack recently. Getting back into Radiohead. Snow Patrol. Some Cure has found its way into various playlists. Nice and Smooth's Sometimes I Rhyme Slow had heavy rotation - most likely cause I can't stand that the countrified version of Fast Car has gotten so popular. I just hope Tracy Chapman is making some bank off of it.

Cost contra are UNREAL!
I believe in Masai.
Merit
Head Coach

Post#77 » by Merit » Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:17 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
pingpongrac wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:I was the same for years - all I used to listen to was metal from when I was like 10 years. I loved stuff like Black Dahlia Murder, Born of Osiris, All That Remains, etc. Sometime when I was like 16 or 17 maybe I got into rap and then for like 5 years all I listened to was rap. Now over the past half decade or so I have branched into pretty much any genre, and even found a country album or two I liked (which I thought would be damn near impossible for me :lol: )

Music is just so much more fun when you open your ears and give everything a chance.

For sure. My dad was into 60s/70s classic rock (Led Zeppelin, Steve Miller Band, Queen, etc.), my mom would listen to a lot of country/pop (Shania Twain, Celine Dion, Cher, etc.), my dad's parents would listen to a lot different things being from Croatia and because they loved to travel, my mom's parents were big country fans, etc. A lot of my friends in public/high school were really into rap/hip-hop as well, so I was exposed to a lot of different music growing up and I have continued to get exposed to more of the big hits as my fianceé is a huge fan of Taylor Swift. Heck, a few weeks ago we saw Dermot Kennedy and it was arguably a top 10 set I've ever seen live – and I used to go to 5+ concerts per month and as many music festivals as possible throughout high school and college especially.

I haev never really been a concert go-er. Living in Saskatchewan and not being a fan of what is "popular" means not a lot of artists I like ever come here... and if they do they are in bars you do not wanna go :lol:

I feel that. I spent some time in Winnipeg and it was underwhelming at times. I did manage to catch Jeremy Dutcher at Brandon University with less than 100 other people. This was the year of his Polaris music win, so it was pure fluke he was booked in before he won. He's definitely channeling Liberace.

This is why I got a decent sound system and did my bestest to stream the music festivals when they were live. Bonnaroo was clutch for me.
I believe in Masai.
lobosloboslobos
RealGM
And1: 17,891

Post#78 » by lobosloboslobos » Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:07 pm

Merit wrote:
tecumseh18 wrote:
lobosloboslobos wrote: plus wild women with guitars always get my full attention. i can't help it. it's why pj harvey is permanently on my playlist.

Loved PJ back in the 90s. Saw a few of her shows in Glasgow and Toronto.

How about a wild woman with a piano? That would be Hiromi. Classical training with a jazz-funk-Dream Theatre soul. So much good stuff over her career, but here's her latest.

;t=235s

Saw her live at the Rose in Brampton. Anthony Jackson is a MF legend.

Have you seen her film Blue Giant yet? It was in theatres in Toronto but only for one day.

Her rhythm changes are the closest to Oscar Peterson we have right now.

This one is an oldie but a goodie:

[YouTube] https://youtu.be/CY5dTBhRxOA?si=Kae2XfZz3DoffNt2 [/youtube]

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

my god.

in my curmudgeonly way I was going to take issue with your Oscar comparison before i clicked on that link but now i can only imagine what Oscar would have said if Hiromi had walked in and played that back in the 40s or 50s, or even before that if she had walked in and done that with Art Tatum in the room in the 30s. I'll tell you one thing they would each have had to pull out the stops to top that! of course she has 80-90 years of music history on them but still, amazing. so satisfying to hear her do her own thing and not be a copycat yet also to be so into the tradition. thanks for that!

being a sax player, as far as insanely speedy rhythm changes i always like to blow people's minds with this live performance by the way too little known madman andrew white. hold on to your hat!

lobosloboslobos
RealGM
And1: 17,891

Post#79 » by lobosloboslobos » Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:33 pm

ontnut wrote:Still? Yep.
In a season where the Raps are "old, overrated, depressing, and bad".... how about a little bit of "fun, uplifting, and youthful" music? (kinda like the wants of...tank nation???!?), instead of worrying about being cool, dark, edgy, or deep.

If I had just watched this video without sound I never would have expected such a kickass jungly beat. i have to say that it's kind of hard for me to connect these girls with the song and the singing but it is definitely a catchy groove. nice!
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,058

Post#80 » by ontnut » Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:23 am

lobosloboslobos wrote:
ontnut wrote:Still? Yep.

If I had just watched this video without sound I never would have expected such a kickass jungly beat. i have to say that it's kind of hard for me to connect these girls with the song and the singing but it is definitely a catchy groove. nice!

Yep you hit the nail on the head, I was surprised by the liquid d&b beat contrasted by their light and airy vocal. They're doing things a bit differently than previous/other kpop (girl) groups, with their musical production and style being more deeply influenced by UK garage, jungle, Baltimore Club, 80s-90s house, breakbeats and hiphop/R&B. This song peaked at #2 on the billboard global 200, but obviously is more popular in Asia, than in the West.

Some other tracks of theirs to check out, as they have really diverse styles esp compared to the rest of kpop and pop in general:
Ditto - fast B'more club
Cool With You - UK garage/Jungle
ETA - B'more club (breakbeat/house with very pronounced trumpet sample)

Return to Toronto Raptors