ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: What are you listening to?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

shots n stops
Senior
And1: 72

Re: OT: What are you listening to? 

Post#121 » by shots n stops » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:42 pm

Masicka
Aidonia
Kraff
Jquan
Maile Don
Alkaline
Rajahwild
Teejay
mdenny
Head Coach
And1: 6,582

Post#122 » by mdenny » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:54 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:
mdenny wrote:I actually don't know who Chris Boucher is?

Power forward for the Toronto Raptors, an NBA team founded in 1995. Boucher seems like a kid, but is already in his 30s and will never, ever get better.

I was trying to draw a basketball analogy. I believe Bill Simmons coined the term "jaw-drop upside potential" 10 or 15 years ago, to describe exciting 18 or 19 year old rookies or draft prospects. As a musician, Jacob Collier is undoubtedly jaw-dropping, and has been for a decade. But he hasn't had any hit songs, and at the age of 29 isn't likely to have any in the future. He's too old to have jaw-drop upside potential as a songwriter. When the Beatles were at an average age of 29, they recorded their last album - Abbey Road.

The whole idea of 'hit songs' is different now though. Culture is fragmented now. It used to be the case that everyone was familiar with the same hit songs whether they liked them or not. There used to be cultural gatekeepers that maintained a shared public awareness of emerging culture. Now....the average person can't recall ever hearing the song that wins 'record of the year'. So that's not really a relevant metric anymore.

I love Prince but he's not seeing Jacob on ANY instrument and it's not particularly close.

:o We'll just have to agree to disagree on that. You are aware that Prince plays the guitar, right?

I love Prince. Have his records. Have seen him perform. I'm well aware he played guitar. BTW....he invested ALOT of time specifically in his guitar playing during the late 90s and 00s. So he was really only a great guitar player during the latter stages of his career. But like I said....there is not a single instrument, guitar or anything else, that Prince is even coming close to Jacob in terms of skill. That's just a function of Jacob coming from a jazz background. And yes....I saw Prince perform wherein he goes from Bass to guitar to conga drum to keyboards etc etc. Highly impressive but it's really not close.

revisit Jacob's cover of 'all night long' and peep his piano solo after the orchestra breakdown. Starts at around the 5:00 mark. It's just a different level because of the jazz background.

I viewed an interview with Hans Zimmer on youtube a couple weeks ago where he was saying that what Jacob is doing with harmony is singular and unique.

So perhaps movie soundtracks are in his future. But someone like Danny Elfman has a strong sense of melody. Harmony is only important once you have the melody. That was the Beatles' (and Brian Wilson's) genius. Speaking of Abbey Road, listen to "Because", especially the Love album's a capella version. Listen to McCartney's high harmony part. Wow. And of course, Brian Wilson sang the high parts that made the Beach Boys great.

Jacob and Hans Zimmer already did work together on a movie score but i haven't checked it out yet. It was for a cartoon movie...like a family genre thing.

the Beatles 'Because' is definitely beautiful. So is the beach boys 'in my room'. Again.....Jacob's harmonies are just on a completely different level from them too. In fact....I believe Jacob did a cover of 'in my room' (not sure about that but I think so). Paul Mccartney has also praised Jacob in the press by the way.

He performed on Jimmy kimmel last week and it was pretty dope. Gospel tune that he did with kirk Franklin - first single off the new album.

Thanks, I just watched it. Nice gospelly stuff, but in no way a "single". No catchy hooks/riffs. No beat. I mean, who is the audience?

It's actually frustrating to me as a hack musician who has written a bunch of songs that went nowhere. But I'd honestly rather listen to my songs - at least the instrumental parts - than Colliers'. That's not right, he should be a WAY better songwriter than me. His refusal to write a damn pop hook must be intentional. What a waste of talent. :nonono:

Well I mean....some people prefer songwriting-based music and some people prefer arrangement-based music. Very few artists are good at both.

Personally, I think James Brown is the greatest music artist of the 20th century. He didn't write songs. He did arrangements. The beatles were great songwriters but not all that great at arrangements. Stevie Wonder is one guy who was able to straddle that line and do both at elite levels. But he was an anomaly.

Plus....there is a very clear hook in that 'witness me' song performed on Kimmel so I disagree with you in that regard. I'm humming it to myself now.

Edit: Not sure why the format of my reply is messed up. Hopefully you can read my replies. Nice chatting with you.

One more thing....since you mentioned the beatles 'because' I am compelled to confirm you checked out jacob's cover of 'moon river'. I mean....that **** is just unspeakably brilliant and epic. It leaves me at a loss for words. It's the ultimate 'smoke some herb and put the headphones on' track.
bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,500

Post#123 » by bballsparkin » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:59 am

admittedly I need to do my homework and catch up on the tunes that have been posted. my friend sent my some new tunes he liked. these two to me stood out.

chris tucker
DOZA THE DRUM DEALER

SWITCH & MOKA ONLY - Who Are We [Official Music Video]
bballsparkin
RealGM

Post#124 » by bballsparkin » Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:21 am

And1+2
Head Coach
And1: 10,417

Post#125 » by And1+2 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:49 pm

Prince - Sign o' The Times is the greatest album of all time, in my humble opinion.
bballsparkin
RealGM

Post#126 » by bballsparkin » Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:54 am

Bump.

I heard it. I like it. sue me. :lol:

bballsparkin
RealGM

Post#127 » by bballsparkin » Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:02 am

happy st patty's day. hear that. killer's in the jungle

bballsparkin
RealGM

Post#128 » by bballsparkin » Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:14 am

nothing special about ****.

bballsparkin
RealGM

Post#129 » by bballsparkin » Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:54 am

I now see why my dad was concerned...miss you pops.

tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,106

Post#130 » by tecumseh18 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:08 pm

bballsparkin wrote:Bump.

How the hell do you come across stuff like this and Re-Stoned? Does the youtube algorithm send it to you?
bballsparkin
RealGM

Post#131 » by bballsparkin » Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:56 am

^^Ciut dot fm

89.5 fm :rock:

Plus I am good at wild Youtube algorithm journeys; it;s true. :oops:

edit: plus i got some good friends who let me know.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,904

Post#132 » by LoveMyRaps » Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:05 am

What was your favorite era of music?

Mine was mid 2000's Hip-Hop and R&B.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
ciueli
Analyst
And1: 2,292

Post#133 » by ciueli » Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:08 pm

Bill McClintock is a mashup artist, his oeuvre is often heavy metal vocals backed by pop, funk, or disco music and rock guitar solos, it's incredible how well this type of combination can be made to work. I have too many favourites to list, he has a lot of great material on YouTube.
bballsparkin
RealGM

Post#134 » by bballsparkin » Tue Apr 9, 2024 4:19 am

tecumseh18 wrote:

How the hell do you come across stuff like this and Re-Stoned? Does the youtube algorithm send it to you?

In case you haven't looked into it here's a link. Since you seem to like stoner music. 8-)

https://ciut.fm/shows-by-day/psychedelic-stoner-rock-extravaganza/

This weeks set was pretty good. I'm listening to it now. But haven't checked to see if it's been uploaded.
mdenny
Head Coach

Post#135 » by mdenny » Tue Apr 9, 2024 1:29 pm

bballsparkin wrote:
tecumseh18 wrote:

In case you haven't looked into it here's a link. Since you seem to like stoner music. 8-)

https://ciut.fm/shows-by-day/psychedelic-stoner-rock-extravaganza/

This weeks set was pretty good. I'm listening to it now. But haven't checked to see if it's been uploaded.

That Dj has been at CIUT for at least 25 years. He used to go by "medicine man" by I think that went by the wayside during the great a-woke-ning.

His normal programming is ecletic and interesting. I think his show is called "global rhythms" or something like that. Over the years he has put me on to some stuff and I checked a few shows here and there that he promoted heavily. West African stuff....nigeria/Ghana.

If I'm not mistaken he also put me on to the great Zimbabwean artist Thomas Mapfumo. Long time ago but pretty sure that's where I first heard mapfumo's music. He played a triumphant headlining set at afrofest back around 2005ish. Back when afrofest was still held downtown where it should be.

Jason Palma will always be the best CIUT dj though. He used to manage "play de record" back in the 90s. His show is still going strong every Thursday night from 8 to 10. Best toronto dj of all time imo. Jason and his partner Paul e Lopez were a huge musical education for me back in the 90s. Vibes n stuff. The movement parties. So many great memories.
bballsparkin
RealGM

Post#136 » by bballsparkin » Tue Apr 9, 2024 6:36 pm

^^^I think that stoner mix is put together by Ken Stowar the Acting Station Manager. Jason Palma is still doing his show Higher Ground Thursdays 8-10pm. He's great agreed. Medicine Man is before him Thursdays 6-8 on No Man's Land. Another great show. I got my good friend listening to that weekly. I'd venture to say Thursdays has the best shows. It's pretty solid all day long.

https://ciut.fm/schedule/
ruckus
RealGM
And1: 11,287

Post#137 » by ruckus » Tue Apr 9, 2024 7:33 pm

Is suno.ai the future?
mdenny
Head Coach

Post#138 » by mdenny » Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:37 am

bballsparkin wrote:^^^I think that stoner mix is put together by Ken Stowar the Acting Station Manager. Jason Palma is still doing his show Higher Ground Thursdays 8-10pm. He's great agreed. Medicine Man is before him Thursdays 6-8 on No Man's Land. Another great show. I got my good friend listening to that weekly. I'd venture to say Thursdays has the best shows. It's pretty solid all day long.

Yah I'm pretty sure Ken IS medicine man.

Cbc radio has pretty good content every weekday. There's an evening drive show that is mostly rnb (not billboard stuff, lots of indie Canadian artists) that is usually good. 6 to 9. Then a shoe called "after dark" which is really eclectic. Gospel, jazz, indie rock, electronic. Runs the whole gamut. I think it's 9 to 12. So good music every night from 6 to 12.
bballsparkin
RealGM

Post#139 » by bballsparkin » Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:47 am

mdenny wrote:
bballsparkin wrote:^^^I think that stoner mix is put together by Ken Stowar the Acting Station Manager. Jason Palma is still doing his show Higher Ground Thursdays 8-10pm. He's great agreed. Medicine Man is before him Thursdays 6-8 on No Man's Land. Another great show. I got my good friend listening to that weekly. I'd venture to say Thursdays has the best shows. It's pretty solid all day long.

Yah I'm pretty sure Ken IS medicine man.

Cbc radio has pretty good content every weekday. There's an evening drive show that is mostly rnb (not billboard stuff, lots of indie Canadian artists) that is usually good. 6 to 9. Then a shoe called "after dark" which is really eclectic. Gospel, jazz, indie rock, electronic. Runs the whole gamut. I think it's 9 to 12. So good music every night from 6 to 12.

Hehe, I'm very confident that Ken IS not. I know both their voices. Ken also does Across the Universe Sundays which is great.

[url][/url]

Yeah, CBC has it's moments that I should utilize more. I've actually been thinking that. Good call. Blues on Sunday or Saturday is good too. The Jazz station has its moments as well.
El Mas Chingon
Senior
And1: 523

Post#140 » by El Mas Chingon » Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:57 am

Just went on a road trip. This is one of the mixes that kept me company

https://www.mixcloud.com/SOULSHACK/the-soul-shack-march-2024-aka-2023-lounge-music-recap/

Return to Toronto Raptors