ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: What are you listening to?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

pingpongrac
RealGM
And1: 16,249

OT: What are you listening to? 

Post#1 » by pingpongrac » Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:00 am

The two biggest hobbies all my life have been sports and music. Ever since I was introduced to Linkin Park and Sum 41 in the late 90s/early 2000s, I've always gravitated towards metal/punk/alternative music, but I've also always had a very open mind when it comes to listening to something new. I'm interested to know what we're all vibing with at this moment, and maybe we can all find some new tunes to add to our playlists too.

For me, I have been absolutely obsessed with a band called Spiritbox for the past few years. They don't have a huge catalog because they have only been together for about 6 years, but they have one of the most widespread ranges of sound that I've ever come across in the metal/rock realm when it comes to current artists. They generally lean more towards the metal side of the spectrum, but they have numerous pop-esque kinds of ballads and they recently released a remixed version of Megan Thee Stallion's new song "Cobra" too which instantly threw me back to the Linkin Park/Jay-Z collab 20 years ago. Below are some of their songs (ranging from the most radio accessible to the heaviest/angriest) that I'd like to share. If you check anything out, share your thoughts and keep the ball rolling with more recommendations of whichever genre!

https://youtu.be/tDrIBRucWxo?si=O7otdVJhlGaNP78B

https://youtu.be/mY_oDyqRM1A?si=ckvQDjJ0jnmoNrw1

https://youtu.be/EjnZVpVvJ-k?si=j2N5JSOYZP57wqn3

https://youtu.be/ZGDkyHa9pfo?si=JG4eFsK6jzYPxQAq

https://youtu.be/pZwKjaRHJqo?si=O0935NLuYnpQySen
v1n5anity
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,061

Re: OT: What are you listening to? 

Post#2 » by v1n5anity » Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:02 am

Majid Jordan. Not feeling the new album though, except for one song.
Andrew_M08
Rookie
And1: 2,803

Post#3 » by Andrew_M08 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:04 am

pingpongrac wrote:The two biggest hobbies all my life have been sports and music. Ever since I was introduced to Linkin Park and Sum 41 in the late 90s/early 2000s, I've always gravitated towards metal/punk/alternative music, but I've also always had a very open mind when it comes to listening to something new. I'm interested to know what we're all vibing with at this moment, and maybe we can all find some new tunes to add to our playlists too.

For me, I have been absolutely obsessed with a band called Spiritbox for the past few years. They don't have a huge catalog because they have only been together for about 6 years, but they have one of the most widespread ranges of sound that I've ever come across in the metal/rock realm when it comes to current artists. They generally lean more towards the metal side of the spectrum, but they have numerous pop-esque kinds of ballads and they recently released a remixed version of Megan Thee Stallion's new song "Cobra" too which instantly threw me back to the Linkin Park/Jay-Z collab 20 years ago. Below are some of their songs (ranging from the most radio accessible to the heaviest/angriest) that I'd like to share. If you check anything out, share your thoughts and keep the ball rolling with more recommendations of whichever genre!

https://youtu.be/tDrIBRucWxo?si=O7otdVJhlGaNP78B

https://youtu.be/mY_oDyqRM1A?si=ckvQDjJ0jnmoNrw1

https://youtu.be/EjnZVpVvJ-k?si=j2N5JSOYZP57wqn3

https://youtu.be/ZGDkyHa9pfo?si=JG4eFsK6jzYPxQAq

https://youtu.be/pZwKjaRHJqo?si=O0935NLuYnpQySen

Spiritbox is amazing, glad to see a fellow metal head
Potential
RealGM
And1: 43,996

Post#4 » by Potential » Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:51 am

50 Cent
2016-2020 NBA YoungBoy
Meek Mill
Lil Durk
Justin Bieber
King Von
Maroon 5
Pooh Shiesty
Coldplay
Prime Drake
Young Dolph

+a lot more others
PerfectJab
Veteran
And1: 1,359

Post#5 » by PerfectJab » Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:59 am

Justin Bieber
Backstreet Boys
Nikelback
Dance mix 93-97
Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 32,990

Post#6 » by Reeko » Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:52 pm

A lot of afrobeats ie Omah Lay, Burna Boy, Asake, CKay, Lo Jay.
Old Kendrick Lamar: The Heart Part 1 and 2, The Relevant
Old Lupe Fiasco: Coulda Been, Sittin Sidewayz remix, Ghetto story
AZ: Rather Unique, Wanna be there

And Canadian artists:
Pengz
Robin Banks
Houdini
Clay Davis wrote:COMPOSED ONLY OF THE COOLEST WOMEN AND THE HOTTEST GUYS, THE TORONTO RAPTORS REALGM BOARD HAS LONG BEEN KNOWN FOR ITS HIGH-QUALITY DISCUSSION, PASSIONATE LOYALTY, TEMPERATE CELEBRATIONS OF VICTORY, AND GRACE IN DEFEAT.
MadDogSHWA
General Manager
And1: 5,361

Post#7 » by MadDogSHWA » Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:57 pm

Ok google...
* chirp *

Spotify Fat Joe.

I've been listening to a lot of the interviews he's been doing and it's made me go back and listen to his music.
"Packin' a Yak in the back by the rack" ~ Big Pun (probably)
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,897

Post#8 » by Duffman100 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:58 pm

Big into banjo type music.

There's a little known band named Caamp that I love. Sons of the East, Noah Kahan, San Fermin.

Also back in to JJ Cale lately.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,539

Post#9 » by WuTang_OG » Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:00 pm

london rap
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,808

Post#10 » by WaltFrazier » Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:09 pm

Classic rock. Over and over.

This is Will's kind of thread.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 38,405

Post#11 » by Mikistan » Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:26 pm

Augustus by John Williams audiobook.

Pretty sweet after finishing Iliad and odyssey
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,202

Post#12 » by YogurtProducer » Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:32 pm

Been listening to a lot of new stuff recently.

1) Blu & Real Bad Man - Real Bad News - awesome album. Blu's been a favorite of mine for years and RBM has awesome beats

2) B. Cool-Aid - Leather Blvd. - super chill album. Reminds me a bit of "NxWorries" if anyone ever heard that

3) Sufjan Stevens - Javelin - if you have not blessed your ears with Sufjan yet, this is a good place to start

4) Sampha - Lahai - awesome album again. Took him years to make his sophomore album but the wait was worth it

5) The War and Treaty - Lovers Game - not what I typically like to listen to and most of this is pretty meh, but "Ain't No Harmin' Me is worth coming back to

Whats everyones favorite stuff from 2023? My top 5 right now in no particular order right now is

Spoiler:
Danny Brown & JPEGMAFAI - Scaring The Hoes
Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit - Weathervanes
McKinley Dixon - Beloved! Paradise! Jazz?
Jessie Ware - That! Feels Good!
Armanda Hammer - We Buy Diabetic Test Strips OR Billy Woods - Maps (cannot decide)
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
YogurtProducer
RealGM

Post#13 » by YogurtProducer » Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:35 pm

Duffman100 wrote:Big into banjo type music.

There's a little known band named Caamp that I love. Sons of the East, Noah Kahan, San Fermin.

Ever listen to The Tallest Man on Earth? I gave Sons of the East a quick listen and I immediately thought of them. Was a big of his 2019 album "I Love You. It's a Fever Dream".
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
Jtoneller1
Junior
And1: 183

Post#14 » by Jtoneller1 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:39 pm

I know this makes me sound ancient but the new Stones album is surprisingly good

Sent from my Pixel 6 using RealGM mobile app
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#15 » by Duffman100 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:51 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:

Ever listen to The Tallest Man on Earth? I gave Sons of the East a quick listen and I immediately thought of them. Was a big of his 2019 album "I Love You. It's a Fever Dream".

Yeah he's very mood dependent for me. His voice is so unique. Sometimes I'm 100% into it, sometimes I'm like 'nope, not today'.
YogurtProducer
RealGM

Post#16 » by YogurtProducer » Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:07 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:

Yeah he's very mood dependent for me. His voice is so unique. Sometimes I'm 100% into it, sometimes I'm like 'nope, not today'.

100% agree. his new album I got in my rotation right now and I have half listened to it while working. Some parts of it sound pretty interesting so looking forward to listening again soon
YogurtProducer
RealGM

Post#17 » by YogurtProducer » Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:10 pm

pingpongrac wrote:The two biggest hobbies all my life have been sports and music. Ever since I was introduced to Linkin Park and Sum 41 in the late 90s/early 2000s, I've always gravitated towards metal/punk/alternative music, but I've also always had a very open mind when it comes to listening to something new. I'm interested to know what we're all vibing with at this moment, and maybe we can all find some new tunes to add to our playlists too.

I was the same for years - all I used to listen to was metal from when I was like 10 years. I loved stuff like Black Dahlia Murder, Born of Osiris, All That Remains, etc. Sometime when I was like 16 or 17 maybe I got into rap and then for like 5 years all I listened to was rap. Now over the past half decade or so I have branched into pretty much any genre, and even found a country album or two I liked (which I thought would be damn near impossible for me :lol: )

Music is just so much more fun when you open your ears and give everything a chance.
lobosloboslobos
RealGM
And1: 17,891

Post#18 » by lobosloboslobos » Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:17 pm

pingpongrac wrote:The two biggest hobbies all my life have been sports and music.

Wow that is crazy. Out of the blue I literally came to the board just now to start a 'what are you listening to?' thread. Great minds lol. Either that or the board is imprinting on me telepathically at this point. Wouldn't surprise me with all the times i visit. :wink:

anyway, there are two albums that I have listened to endlessly since they came out in the past year or so. One of them is the new Jungle album, which has fantastic grooves and videos. they literally released their entire album as a feature film of all the music videos, which are conceived as one giant one-take dance show. brilliant and so so watchable. This is just one but the other tunes and videos are equally great.

and the other is called Life on Earth by Hurray for the Riff Raff
a wonderful mix of different sounds and tunes with awesome lyrics and idiosyncratic originality from one very cool lady

and just yesterday i belatedly came across the extremely catchy tune and clip. watched it about a dozen times lol.

Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#19 » by Duffman100 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:19 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:Ever listen to The Tallest Man on Earth? I gave Sons of the East a quick listen and I immediately thought of them. Was a big of his 2019 album "I Love You. It's a Fever Dream".

100% agree. his new album I got in my rotation right now and I have half listened to it while working. Some parts of it sound pretty interesting so looking forward to listening again soon

Check out Caamp, they're my favourite band of the last few years. If you have any along the same lines of Tallest Man, I'm all ears
Spates
Sixth Man
And1: 1,286

Post#20 » by Spates » Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:34 pm

The Fraud by Zadie Smith on audiobook.

Return to Toronto Raptors