ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: What are you listening to?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

pingpongrac
RealGM
And1: 16,249

Re: OT: What are you listening to? 

Post#41 » by pingpongrac » Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:49 am

YogurtProducer wrote:
pingpongrac wrote:The two biggest hobbies all my life have been sports and music. Ever since I was introduced to Linkin Park and Sum 41 in the late 90s/early 2000s, I've always gravitated towards metal/punk/alternative music, but I've also always had a very open mind when it comes to listening to something new. I'm interested to know what we're all vibing with at this moment, and maybe we can all find some new tunes to add to our playlists too.

I was the same for years - all I used to listen to was metal from when I was like 10 years. I loved stuff like Black Dahlia Murder, Born of Osiris, All That Remains, etc. Sometime when I was like 16 or 17 maybe I got into rap and then for like 5 years all I listened to was rap. Now over the past half decade or so I have branched into pretty much any genre, and even found a country album or two I liked (which I thought would be damn near impossible for me :lol: )

Music is just so much more fun when you open your ears and give everything a chance.

For sure. My dad was into 60s/70s classic rock (Led Zeppelin, Steve Miller Band, Queen, etc.), my mom would listen to a lot of country/pop (Shania Twain, Celine Dion, Cher, etc.), my dad's parents would listen to a lot different things being from Croatia and because they loved to travel, my mom's parents were big country fans, etc. A lot of my friends in public/high school were really into rap/hip-hop as well, so I was exposed to a lot of different music growing up and I have continued to get exposed to more of the big hits as my fianceé is a huge fan of Taylor Swift. Heck, a few weeks ago we saw Dermot Kennedy and it was arguably a top 10 set I've ever seen live – and I used to go to 5+ concerts per month and as many music festivals as possible throughout high school and college especially.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,166

Post#42 » by YogurtProducer » Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:50 am

pingpongrac wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
pingpongrac wrote:The two biggest hobbies all my life have been sports and music. Ever since I was introduced to Linkin Park and Sum 41 in the late 90s/early 2000s, I've always gravitated towards metal/punk/alternative music, but I've also always had a very open mind when it comes to listening to something new. I'm interested to know what we're all vibing with at this moment, and maybe we can all find some new tunes to add to our playlists too.

I was the same for years - all I used to listen to was metal from when I was like 10 years. I loved stuff like Black Dahlia Murder, Born of Osiris, All That Remains, etc. Sometime when I was like 16 or 17 maybe I got into rap and then for like 5 years all I listened to was rap. Now over the past half decade or so I have branched into pretty much any genre, and even found a country album or two I liked (which I thought would be damn near impossible for me :lol: )

Music is just so much more fun when you open your ears and give everything a chance.

For sure. My dad was into 60s/70s classic rock (Led Zeppelin, Steve Miller Band, Queen, etc.), my mom would listen to a lot of country/pop (Shania Twain, Celine Dion, Cher, etc.), my dad's parents would listen to a lot different things being from Croatia and because they loved to travel, my mom's parents were big country fans, etc. A lot of my friends in public/high school were really into rap/hip-hop as well, so I was exposed to a lot of different music growing up and I have continued to get exposed to more of the big hits as my fianceé is a huge fan of Taylor Swift. Heck, a few weeks ago we saw Dermot Kennedy and it was arguably a top 10 set I've ever seen live – and I used to go to 5+ concerts per month and as many music festivals as possible throughout high school and college especially.

I haev never really been a concert go-er. Living in Saskatchewan and not being a fan of what is "popular" means not a lot of artists I like ever come here... and if they do they are in bars you do not wanna go :lol:
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
DSWC
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,083

Post#43 » by DSWC » Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:59 am

Westside Gunn wrote:I need recommendations.

HipHop
Punk Rock
Electric emd house stuff
Youtube lofi mixes that really help in getting work done.

I used to dig for good music but now I just lazily listen to youtube mixes put together by people. Theres this guy named Nicola Armelin who posts some good golden era stuff. I just download an mp3 and save it to my phone .

Punk Rock is mostly my jam...but which era?

My favourite of all time is Bad Religion, then bands like Pennywise/Lagwagon/Welt/Social Distortion.

I like old school rap: Wu/Nas/Freddie Foxxx/Tribe Called Quest/

Musically, I'm all over the map though: My 'big 3' are Bad Religion/USS (Canadian)/Matt Mays (Canadian). I worked with a guy once who said "I'm just not a music snob", and I felt that. I like LOTS of music from different genres, mostly mood-based.

If you Youtube "lofi for studying" you can find some really good stuff and find new music through that.
pingpongrac
RealGM
And1: 16,249

Post#44 » by pingpongrac » Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:08 am

YogurtProducer wrote:
pingpongrac wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:I was the same for years - all I used to listen to was metal from when I was like 10 years. I loved stuff like Black Dahlia Murder, Born of Osiris, All That Remains, etc. Sometime when I was like 16 or 17 maybe I got into rap and then for like 5 years all I listened to was rap. Now over the past half decade or so I have branched into pretty much any genre, and even found a country album or two I liked (which I thought would be damn near impossible for me :lol: )

I haev never really been a concert go-er. Living in Saskatchewan and not being a fan of what is "popular" means not a lot of artists I like ever come here... and if they do they are in bars you do not wanna go :lol:

Yeah, I don't imagine you'd get very many opportunities to see any artists outside of the mainstream unless you travelled a long way for it living in Saskatchewan lol.

I was fortunate to grow up in London with a thriving metal scene and I spent a lot of time in the GTA and Niagara regions too, so there was pretty much always a concert taking place at one of the smaller venues with affordable $15-20 tickets for the most part. It also helped that I started up a little music reviews website when I had extra time/money about 10 years ago, so I was constantly getting extra opportunities to see and discover new artists through that outlet. I've probably been to over 1,000 concerts/festivals to this point and some bands I've seen so many times I'm almost embarrassed to admit it. Like I've seen Counterparts and Seaway (both local to me) upwards of 30 times lol.
agkagk
Analyst
And1: 1,880

Post#45 » by agkagk » Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:03 am

Mutha fu**in doom

And

John legend and the Roots live from soho — its pretty damn good….like, a lot good.

Mf doom’s books of war:

https://youtu.be/e_QQamQt5x4?si=2JWHTusVucVwBsd_

Roots and john legend covering baby huey and the babysitters:

https://youtu.be/rYCKkmM0Tu8?si=BzzDyDlWkqKpqd-d

Curtis mayfield actually wrote this one!
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,884

Post#46 » by LoveMyRaps » Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:23 am

Reeko wrote:A lot of afrobeats ie Omah Lay, Burna Boy, Asake, CKay, Lo Jay.
Old Kendrick Lamar: The Heart Part 1 and 2, The Relevant
Old Lupe Fiasco: Coulda Been, Sittin Sidewayz remix, Ghetto story

In Masai We Trust :meditate:
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,884

Post#47 » by LoveMyRaps » Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:24 am

Looking forward to the Alone at Prom Deluxe dropping this Friday.

Alone at Prom is an all-time classic. That project is a MASTERPIECE.

In Masai We Trust :meditate:
IRS
Senior
And1: 529

Post#48 » by IRS » Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:25 am

ruckus wrote:
xAIRNESSx wrote:This Taylor Swift mix is composed pretty well.

Hate to admit it but I vibe with TSwizzle
My peoples :)

Sent from my SM-G973W using RealGM Forums mobile app
And1+2
Head Coach
And1: 10,410

Post#49 » by And1+2 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:17 am

My musical taste is all over the place... Here are some pretty good albums that I've listened to lately:

Robert Finley - Black Bayou (Blues/Rock)
Tkay Maidza - Sweet Justice (Rap/R&B)
ML Buch - Suntub (Alternative)
Damu the Fudgemunk & Raw Poetic - Away Back In (Jazz Rap)
Young Fathers - Heavy Heavy (Rock)
Flwr Child - Luv n Chaos (R&B)
Jazz Liberatorz - Clin d'oeil (Jazz Rap)
Fatoumata Diawara - Fenfo (Something to Say) (World)
Neal Francis - Changes (Rock)
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,101

Post#50 » by tecumseh18 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:24 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:london rap

My 15-year old son is playing a lot of Dave and some other English guys in the car. Not bad. I'm much more of an early 90s jazz hip hop guy. Although my tradition since the 2018 Lebronto sweep has been to play Deltron 3000 to cheer up after the Raptors lose in the playoffs.

On another note, someone on Twitter just raved about these guys (and gal).I guess they're alright. OK, on fully listening, they're amazing.
[youtube]
[/youtube]
Boselecta
Senior
And1: 693

Post#51 » by Boselecta » Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:34 pm

Basketball_Jones wrote:
Westside Gunn wrote:
Basketball_Jones wrote:After the Drake and Travis albums I gave up on mainstream hip hop. Drakes was garbage but people actually liked Travis’s, I don’t get it. Just sticking with international stuff like Afrobeats, Amapiano, reggaeton, dembow, bachata

You didn't like Drake's Honestly Nevermind? Afrobeats in there.

It was okay, I was referring to his latest. HND is more indie electronic style and he had some experimental stuff with a jersey club track (sticky) and afrobeats track (text go green) but overall I felt the sound was a little outdated. He did kind of hit ahead with Sticky as Uzi dropped that track later that blew up, maybe should have leaned into that a bit more. Also could have gotten ahead on the Amapiano sound that’s hitting as well instead of the indie electronic stuff

Honestly Nevermind is slept on, of his recent albums its the one I go back to the most. Wish he would have continued to experiment but unfortunately the masses pressured him into making the same old again.
tecumseh18
RealGM

Post#52 » by tecumseh18 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:13 pm

lobosloboslobos wrote: plus wild women with guitars always get my full attention. i can't help it. it's why pj harvey is permanently on my playlist.

Loved PJ back in the 90s. Saw a few of her shows in Glasgow and Toronto.

How about a wild woman with a piano? That would be Hiromi. Classical training with a jazz-funk-Dream Theatre soul. So much good stuff over her career, but here's her latest.

;t=235s
lobosloboslobos
RealGM
And1: 17,843

Post#53 » by lobosloboslobos » Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:38 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:
lobosloboslobos wrote: plus wild women with guitars always get my full attention. i can't help it. it's why pj harvey is permanently on my playlist.

Loved PJ back in the 90s. Saw a few of her shows in Glasgow and Toronto.

How about a wild woman with a piano? That would be Hiromi. Classical training with a jazz-funk-Dream Theatre soul. So much good stuff over her career, but here's her latest.

;t=235s

awesome. reminiscent of Headhunters era Herbie or Chick Corea with Return to Forever.

gotta love tiny desk. this is my all-time fave:

tecumseh18
RealGM

Post#54 » by tecumseh18 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:11 pm

lobosloboslobos wrote:
tecumseh18 wrote:

awesome. reminiscent of Headhunters era Herbie or Chick Corea with Return to Forever.

Yeah, Hiromi's played with Chick, and with Stanley Clarke's band for a tour. With this new project, she's going back to the vibe of Sonic Bloom (great name), her fusion band of 15 years ago. My favourite album and tour was her solo piano "Place to Be" era. Check out the 2010 Marciac concert in its entirety. She's such a genius, I'd rather just hear all Hiromi, all the time, rather than have her diluted with lesser musicians - unless they groove. Didn't like so much her "Trio" era of the last decade, because the drummer (Simon Phillips) was a bombastic rock-type.

lobosloboslobos wrote:gotta love tiny desk. this is my all-time fave:

Wow, I never heard of Lianne before. Doing a deep dive on her now. Thanks!

Call it a kink, but I love watching women (even Lizzo!) who can really play their instruments. Prime Joni Mitchell was an influential acoustic guitar player - Rolling Stone just stupidly placed her in the top ten list of all time rock guitarists - and surprisingly good pianist. Not many people these days know Joan Armatrading, but she could really play. Even today at 70 or so, she can pull off a blistering guitar solo. H.E.R. would be the current version, although her songs aren't quite as memorable as Joan's. Esmeralda Spalding has to take the prize, for being able to sing jazz melodies while playing crazy basslines on upright or Fender bass. Undoubtedly a better overall musician than Tina Weymouth, but I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Tina pulsing basslines.
vulture
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,975

Post#55 » by vulture » Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:15 pm

And1+2 wrote:My musical taste is all over the place... Here are some pretty good albums that I've listened to lately:

Fatoumata is incredible. I can't believe she came to perform at a Markham cultural center in 2019.
lobosloboslobos
RealGM
And1: 17,843

Post#56 » by lobosloboslobos » Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:51 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:
lobosloboslobos wrote:
tecumseh18 wrote:

Yeah, Hiromi's played with Chick, and with Stanley Clarke's band for a tour. With this new project, she's going back to the vibe of Sonic Bloom (great name), her fusion band of 15 years ago. My favourite album and tour was her solo piano "Place to Be" era. Check out the 2010 Marciac concert in its entirety. She's such a genius, I'd rather just hear all Hiromi, all the time, rather than have her diluted with lesser musicians - unless they groove. Didn't like so much her "Trio" era of the last decade, because the drummer (Simon Phillips) was a bombastic rock-type.

lobosloboslobos wrote:gotta love tiny desk. this is my all-time fave:

Wow, I never heard of Lianne before. Doing a deep dive on her now. Thanks!

Call it a kink, but I love watching women (even Lizzo!) who can really play their instruments. Prime Joni Mitchell was an influential acoustic guitar player - Rolling Stone just stupidly placed her in the top ten list of all time rock guitarists - and surprisingly good pianist. Not many people these days know Joan Armatrading, but she could really play. Even today at 70 or so, she can pull off a blistering guitar solo. H.E.R. would be the current version, although her songs aren't quite as memorable as Joan's. Esmeralda Spalding has to take the prize, for being able to sing jazz melodies while playing crazy basslines on upright or Fender bass. Undoubtedly a better overall musician than Tina Weymouth, but I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Tina pulsing basslines.

I can only stand and applaud your excellent taste!
Altern8
Sophomore
And1: 157

Post#57 » by Altern8 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:57 pm

vulture wrote:
And1+2 wrote:My musical taste is all over the place... Here are some pretty good albums that I've listened to lately:

Fatoumata is incredible. I can't believe she came to perform at a Markham cultural center in 2019.

Concur about how sublime Diawara is.

As for Ebo, any love for Orlando Julius and / or Pat Thomas?

Awesome Tapes from Africa always with sonic heat as well as Strut, BBE, Analog Africa.

Current rotation includes Forever Living Originals material (Sault, Cleo Sol, and affiliate Little Simz), Joni's 3rd volume of the "Archives" series, Tim Maia's nephew Ed Motta's latest full length on MPS, and Pharaoh Sanders's ongoing reissues on Luaka Bop.

https://youtu.be/t4eXmjhudb8?si=CuYyzO9_ZbhXhULf
Gatoradeguy
Sophomore
And1: 98

Post#58 » by Gatoradeguy » Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:24 am

Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,536

Post#59 » by Dr Positivity » Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:01 am

Albums I liked this year from a lame

Macklemore - Ben
Kesha - Gag Order
Zach Bryan - (self-titled)

Latest new song I like Olivia Rodrigo's from Hunger Games Can't Catch Me Now. I liked some of the Weeknd's songs from the Idol (underrated overall) like A Lesser Man, Take Me Back and One of the Girls.

Other artists (along with the above three) that are a must listen if they release a new album: The Killers, Springsteen, Taylor Swift, Arcade Fire, J Cole, CHVRCHES. I think the Killers and Springsteen are probably my top 2 all time.
Public_Enemy101
Pro Prospect
And1: 940

Post#60 » by Public_Enemy101 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:09 am

Have this on loop for some reason. I’m not really a lyricist guy but it’s the beat that gets me amped up. Plus it’s nice homage to Do The Right Thing.

Return to Toronto Raptors