ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: What are you listening to?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Ackshun
General Manager
And1: 4,606

Re: OT: What are you listening to? 

Post#101 » by Ackshun » Fri Feb 2, 2024 4:03 pm

Headed to Trinidad in a few days for Carnival so I had to dust off my turntables to record a mix. A little rusty on a few mixes but ..yeah I been listening to Soca a lot these days.

Would appreciate feedback :)

https://youtu.be/uBdp7H1W1EQ?si=YtBGfUjO6RDjoKhq
Westside Gunn
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,079

Post#102 » by Westside Gunn » Fri Feb 2, 2024 4:10 pm

Merit wrote:
Westside Gunn wrote:I heard this on satellite radio and I swear I probably heard this at a club in those flashback music days. People really enjoyed it.

It has a vibe.

So I went to Spotify and tried some of their music, dang, 80's were definitely some kinda feel.

First time ever hearing this song. I would never have believed that the lead singer looked the way they did. This is definitely ready for a remix.

Theres a sped up 90s remix.
i miss the days when the bricks was only nineteeeeeeeen, i need a 100 right now
aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,462

Post#103 » by aminiaturebuddha » Fri Feb 2, 2024 4:12 pm

Not new at all, but the band I keep going back to is The Heavy. Not many people seem to know the band's name, but if you play a few songs, people usually go "oh yeah, I've heard that" because their music seems to get used a lot in movies, commercials, etc.

IMO they're a perfect mix of rock, blues, R&B, soul, and a few other styles.

Here's a taste, probably my favourite song of theirs:

Also, as you might expect from a band like that, they're fantastic in concert.
Merit
Head Coach
And1: 2,907

Post#104 » by Merit » Sat Feb 3, 2024 5:34 am

aminiaturebuddha wrote:Not new at all, but the band I keep going back to is The Heavy. Not many people seem to know the band's name, but if you play a few songs, people usually go "oh yeah, I've heard that" because their music seems to get used a lot in movies, commercials, etc.

IMO they're a perfect mix of rock, blues, R&B, soul, and a few other styles.

Into them! Dig the aesthetic too. Thanks for putting me on.
I believe in Masai.
Ackshun
General Manager
And1: 4,606

Post#105 » by Ackshun » Mon Feb 5, 2024 4:51 am

Ackshun wrote:Headed to Trinidad in a few days for Carnival so I had to dust off my turntables to record a mix. A little rusty on a few mixes but ..yeah I been listening to Soca a lot these days.

Would appreciate feedback :)

https://youtu.be/uBdp7H1W1EQ?si=YtBGfUjO6RDjoKhq

A little more proud of this one. Tribute to the great Mical Teja.

https://youtu.be/xKfJn9RstHU?si=a7mWpyvsRJcMNo9l
agkagk
Analyst
And1: 1,884

Post#106 » by agkagk » Mon Feb 5, 2024 4:58 am

aminiaturebuddha wrote:Not new at all, but the band I keep going back to is The Heavy. Not many people seem to know the band's name, but if you play a few songs, people usually go "oh yeah, I've heard that" because their music seems to get used a lot in movies, commercials, etc.
. IMO they're a perfect mix of rock, blues, R&B, soul, and a few other styles

Oooh this is good man thanks

Reminds me a bit of the black pumas

“ IMO they're a perfect mix of rock, blues, R&B, soul, and a few other styles “

great description for both bands

Ima have check out the heavy on itunes
aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,462

Post#107 » by aminiaturebuddha » Wed Feb 7, 2024 7:30 pm

Just for the hell of it, even though this thread has now moved to the second page, here's another suggestion.

The band is called Lawrence. The two main people are a brother-sister duo (Clyde and Gracie Lawrence). They're unbelievable musicians and singers, and have a bunch of great tunes. But the most fun are the "acoustic-ish" versions that they do on Youtube where they often get a bunch of other great singers to do backup.

I highly recommend going down the Youtube rabbit hole for this band if you like what you hear. So here's a good one to get you started.

mdenny
Head Coach
And1: 6,596

Post#108 » by mdenny » Wed Feb 7, 2024 7:47 pm

Taking my daughter to see Jacob collier on the first date of his new tour in April.

I seen prince at the secret Roy Thomson hall gig. I seen stevie wonder before his age started to catch up with him. I put Jacob up there with them. He's the new jazz-pop golden child.
https://youtu.be/nspqYGz-Z1s?si=_RGT2Io-X5VsYDxA
DatHomieYouHaTe
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,910

Post#109 » by DatHomieYouHaTe » Wed Feb 7, 2024 7:56 pm

Silence
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,202

Post#110 » by YogurtProducer » Wed Feb 7, 2024 7:57 pm

Finally got one of my GOAT albums Mm.. Food on Vinyl the other day. Stoked to have it in my collection finally

Outside of that, 2024 has been slow so far. Only things that has really stuck for me so far this year have been:

The Pilgrim, Their God and the King of My Decrepit Mountain - Tapir!
Prelude to Ecstasy - The Last Dinner Party
Critterland - Willi Carlisle
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
Clutch0z24
General Manager
And1: 8,020

Post#111 » by Clutch0z24 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 8:39 pm

Usually a rap head i dabble here and there into other genres.

Was listening to the Lyrical Lemonade album and heard this song...This Gus Dapperton fellow has a pretty good voice and some Rick Roll dance moves. :lol:
NinjaBro
RealGM
And1: 42,002

Post#112 » by NinjaBro » Wed Feb 7, 2024 10:27 pm

"If you want to lose brain cells go read Realgm" - Pensare Basketball
yamadory
Freshman
And1: 48

Post#113 » by yamadory » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:21 am

Sadly,my wife
mdenny
Head Coach

Post#114 » by mdenny » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:29 am

agkagk wrote:
. IMO they're a perfect mix of rock, blues, R&B, soul, and a few other styles

Oooh this is good man thanks

Reminds me a bit of the black pumas

“ IMO they're a perfect mix of rock, blues, R&B, soul, and a few other styles “

great description for both bands

Ima have check out the heavy on itunes

The engineering on the drums reminds me of John Bonham "when the levee breaks".
mdenny
Head Coach

Post#115 » by mdenny » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:37 am

This trade deadline is so dry lol.

Gonna post another jacob collier link. This was the video he made 10 years ago that went viral and was the catalyst for quincy Jones signing him. Kid wonder has won 4 Grammys since and I think his new record is poised to break thru to a wider audience featuring kirk Franklin's choir, John Mayer, herbie Hancock and others.

But this video covering stevie wonders "don't u worry about a thing" is what kicked off his career.

Dude's vocal harmonies are out of this world. He's also currently teaching a music theory class at MIT which can be viewed on youtube.

Kid is a virtuoso on every imaginable instrument including one's that he invents and builds himself lol.

https://youtu.be/pvKUttYs5ow?si=rylmuV8wPUatauvG
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,121

Post#116 » by tecumseh18 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 12:57 pm

mdenny wrote:This trade deadline is so dry lol.

Gonna post another jacob collier link. This was the video he made 10 years ago that went viral and was the catalyst for quincy Jones signing him. Kid wonder has won 4 Grammys since and I think his new record is poised to break thru to a wider audience featuring kirk Franklin's choir, John Mayer, herbie Hancock and others.

But this video covering stevie wonders "don't u worry about a thing" is what kicked off his career.

Dude's vocal harmonies are out of this world. He's also currently teaching a music theory class at MIT which can be viewed on youtube.

Kid is a virtuoso on every imaginable instrument including one's that he invents and builds himself lol.

There's no question that Collier is a musical genius. But ... Stevie Wonder and Prince wrote great songs many (many) of which were hits. Stevie ruled the 70s, and Prince the 80s (and I would argue pumped out his best stuff in the 90s - e.g. Diamonds and Pearls). Prince especially was amazing on all the instruments. Stevie was a great drummer and of course keyboardist.

I've checked out Collier. I've watched his Tiny Desk appearance. I'm extremely impressed, not just with his musicianship but his innate spirituality. But where are the songs that capture the world's imagination? He's not even a one hit wonder. He's 29 now - too old to be a prodigy. I just don't see the jawdrop upside potential in the "kid". He's pretty much a (much) better version of Chris Boucher at this point.
mdenny
Head Coach

Post#117 » by mdenny » Thu Feb 8, 2024 1:10 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:
mdenny wrote:This trade deadline is so dry lol.

There's no question that Collier is a musical genius. But ... Stevie Wonder and Prince wrote great songs many (many) of which were hits. Stevie ruled the 70s, and Prince the 80s (and I would argue pumped out his best stuff in the 90s - e.g. Diamonds and Pearls). Prince especially was amazing on all the instruments. Stevie was a great drummer and of course keyboardist.

I've checked out Collier. I've watched his Tiny Desk appearance. I'm extremely impressed, not just with his musicianship but his innate spirituality. But where are the songs that capture the world's imagination? He's not even a one hit wonder. He's 29 now. Too old to be a prodigy. I just don't see the jawdrop upside potential in the "kid". He's pretty much a better version of Chris Boucher at this point.

I actually don't know who Chris Boucher is?

I think Jacob has written some decent songs but would definitely agree that his expertise so far is much more in arrangement. I disagree with you that he's not jaw-dropping though in terms of arrangement and multi-instrument expertise. I love Prince but he's not seeing Jacob on ANY instrument and it's not particularly close.

But you have a point that his composition/songwriting isn't the source of his jaw-dropping appeal. So far his covers are his most impressive imo. Also...I don't think Jacob is a particularly great lead singer like Prince or Stevie. It's more like Jacob mastered his voice enough to adequately execute his vocal arrangements/harmonies which are the real substance of his work. He's obviously not donny Hathaway or something like that but bro! The harmony arrangements are just so unique and special.

I viewed an interview with Hans Zimmer on youtube a couple weeks ago where he was saying that what Jacob is doing with harmony is singular and unique.

When I've told ppl about him the most appropriate comparison I have come up with is Bobby McFerrin (same jazz-based execution of pop music) but much more skilled multi-instrumentalist.

Apparently Take 6 was a huge influence on him growing up which also makes alot of sense in his incredible vocal harmony arrangements. He featured them in his Lionel Richie cover and won a Grammy for it.

He performed on Jimmy kimmel last week and it was pretty dope. Gospel tune that he did with kirk Franklin - first single off the new album.
raptoradical
Sixth Man
And1: 1,224

Post#118 » by raptoradical » Thu Feb 8, 2024 1:48 pm

Inevitable wrote:Magic Johnson meets Kawhi meets Giannis.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,121

Post#119 » by tecumseh18 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 1:55 pm

mdenny wrote:I actually don't know who Chris Boucher is?

Power forward for the Toronto Raptors, an NBA team founded in 1995. Boucher seems like a kid, but is already in his 30s and will never, ever get better.

I was trying to draw a basketball analogy. I believe Bill Simmons coined the term "jaw-drop upside potential" 10 or 15 years ago, to describe exciting 18 or 19 year old rookies or draft prospects. As a musician, Jacob Collier is undoubtedly jaw-dropping, and has been for a decade. But he hasn't had any hit songs, and at the age of 29 isn't likely to have any in the future. He's too old to have jaw-drop upside potential as a songwriter. When the Beatles were at an average age of 29, they recorded their last album - Abbey Road.

I love Prince but he's not seeing Jacob on ANY instrument and it's not particularly close.

:o We'll just have to agree to disagree on that. You are aware that Prince plays the guitar, right?

I viewed an interview with Hans Zimmer on youtube a couple weeks ago where he was saying that what Jacob is doing with harmony is singular and unique.

So perhaps movie soundtracks are in his future. But someone like Danny Elfman has a strong sense of melody. Harmony is only important once you have the melody. That was the Beatles' (and Brian Wilson's) genius. Speaking of Abbey Road, listen to "Because", especially the Love album's a capella version. Listen to McCartney's high harmony part. Wow. And of course, Brian Wilson sang the high parts that made the Beach Boys great.

He performed on Jimmy kimmel last week and it was pretty dope. Gospel tune that he did with kirk Franklin - first single off the new album.

Thanks, I just watched it. Nice gospelly stuff, but in no way a "single". No catchy hooks/riffs. No beat. I mean, who is the audience?

It's actually frustrating to me as a hack musician who has written a bunch of songs that went nowhere. But I'd honestly rather listen to my songs - at least the instrumental parts - than Colliers'. That's not right, he should be a WAY better songwriter than me. His refusal to write a damn pop hook must be intentional. What a waste of talent. :nonono:
refshateRaps
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,953

Post#120 » by refshateRaps » Thu Feb 8, 2024 3:37 pm

DatHomieYouHaTe wrote:Silence

Ya. Healthy frequencies only these days.

Return to Toronto Raptors