ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: What are you listening to?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,121

Re: OT: What are you listening to? 

Post#81 » by tecumseh18 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:27 am

Merit wrote:
tecumseh18 wrote:How about a wild woman with a piano? That would be Hiromi. Classical training with a jazz-funk-Dream Theatre soul. So much good stuff over her career, but here's her latest.

;t=235s

Saw her live at the Rose in Brampton. Anthony Jackson is a MF legend.

Have you seen her film Blue Giant yet? It was in theatres in Toronto but only for one day.

Her rhythm changes are the closest to Oscar Peterson we have right now.

This one is an oldie but a goodie:

[YouTube] https://youtu.be/CY5dTBhRxOA?si=Kae2XfZz3DoffNt2 [/youtube]

I've seen her live a coupla times downtown. I prefer her solo. In the Trio, Anthony's great, but the drummer was just too much.

Oscar was a mentor to Hiromi before he died. I've seen a youtube clip of her dedicating her beautiful song "Place to Be" to him. The first time I saw her play live I took an old jazz-head buddy, he keep muttering "better than Oscar, better than Art" under his breath.

Yeah, her Marciac concert generally is where I send people for an introduction to Hiromi. And that version of "I've Got Rhythm" is so well structured. The deconstruction in the middle is genius. But make no mistake, Hiromi's a great composer in her own right. One of my faves:

ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,059

Post#82 » by ontnut » Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:36 am

ruckus wrote:
xAIRNESSx wrote:This Taylor Swift mix is composed pretty well.

Hate to admit it but I vibe with TSwizzle

No shame. I asked my then gf for tickets to the 1989 concert and still have 2 tour t-shirts that I cherish :P
I was also recently asked to duet TSwift with a young lady at a karaoke bar because she caught me singing along to "Back to December"
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,121

Post#83 » by tecumseh18 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:42 am

lobosloboslobos wrote:being a sax player, as far as insanely speedy rhythm changes i always like to blow people's minds with this live performance by the way too little known madman andrew white. hold on to your hat!

Woah! As a bass player I was never really a saxophone lover (although I listened to a lot of Charlie Parker when I was a lad). The sax on rock tunes like "Shine On You Crazy Diamond", and the delayed sound on "Shipbuilding" are more to my taste. But that's pretty crazy.
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,512

Post#84 » by Brinbe » Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:43 am

Whole project is worth the listen. Great stuff from Danny.
ontnut
RealGM

Post#85 » by ontnut » Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:57 am

Not really "listening" so much as "experiencing"...but going to one of Psy's concerts (in Korea) is on my bucket list. That guy is so entertaining and knows how to get the crowd GOING. It looks like such a hell of a time. (Also props to the fans actually enjoying and being present, rather than busily filming on their phones).

Merit
Head Coach
And1: 2,907

Post#86 » by Merit » Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:03 pm

lobosloboslobos wrote:
ontnut wrote:Still? Yep.
In a season where the Raps are "old, overrated, depressing, and bad".... how about a little bit of "fun, uplifting, and youthful" music? (kinda like the wants of...tank nation???!?), instead of worrying about being cool, dark, edgy, or deep.

And the M/V is shot on a ball court!

If I had just watched this video without sound I never would have expected such a kickass jungly beat. i have to say that it's kind of hard for me to connect these girls with the song and the singing but it is definitely a catchy groove. nice!

Yeah this is a banger.
I believe in Masai.
Merit
Head Coach

Post#87 » by Merit » Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:05 pm

lobosloboslobos wrote:
Merit wrote:
tecumseh18 wrote:
Loved PJ back in the 90s. Saw a few of her shows in Glasgow and Toronto.

How about a wild woman with a piano? That would be Hiromi. Classical training with a jazz-funk-Dream Theatre soul. So much good stuff over her career, but here's her latest.

;t=235s

Have you seen her film Blue Giant yet? It was in theatres in Toronto but only for one day.

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

my god.

in my curmudgeonly way I was going to take issue with your Oscar comparison before i clicked on that link but now i can only imagine what Oscar would have said if Hiromi had walked in and played that back in the 40s or 50s, or even before that if she had walked in and done that with Art Tatum in the room in the 30s. I'll tell you one thing they would each have had to pull out the stops to top that! of course she has 80-90 years of music history on them but still, amazing. so satisfying to hear her do her own thing and not be a copycat yet also to be so into the tradition. thanks for that!

being a sax player, as far as insanely speedy rhythm changes i always like to blow people's minds with this live performance by the way too little known madman andrew white. hold on to your hat!

:o :o :o :o :o
Thanks for this! As a keys player I’m a massive Bill Evans fan, but Phineas Newborn hits too!
I believe in Masai.
Merit
Head Coach

Post#88 » by Merit » Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:04 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:
Merit wrote:
tecumseh18 wrote:How about a wild woman with a piano? That would be Hiromi. Classical training with a jazz-funk-Dream Theatre soul. So much good stuff over her career, but here's her latest.

;t=235s

I've seen her live a coupla times downtown. I prefer her solo. In the Trio, Anthony's great, but the drummer was just too much.

Oscar was a mentor to Hiromi before he died. I've seen a youtube clip of her dedicating her beautiful song "Place to Be" to him. The first time I saw her play live I took an old jazz-head buddy, he keep muttering "better than Oscar, better than Art" under his breath.

Yeah, her Marciac concert generally is where I send people for an introduction to Hiromi. And that version of "I've Got Rhythm" is so well structured. The deconstruction in the middle is genius. But make no mistake, Hiromi's a great composer in her own right. One of my faves:

Nice! Yeah I was trying to find another version of I’ve got rhythm but this one was in full HD so opted for that. Anthony Jackson is kind of a god to me because of his work with Chaka Khan. I don’t really know enough about the drummer off the top of my head but I loved when hiromi played a synth solo while comping on the piano. Blew my mind.

So cool how the greats are humble and helpful too! Appreciate that tidbit of info re: Oscar.
I believe in Masai.
bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,511

Post#89 » by bballsparkin » Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:16 am

When I first moved to Toronto, one of my favourite finds was ciut dot fm. 89.5. Good **** for a guy who loves music all over the place. IF you like rock/heavy/punk whatever it can be labeled

10pm-12am EqualizingXDistort on Sundays. I'm all over the place with music. I don't listen to many albums'. This one is good. Soul/religious i guess.

Westside Gunn
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,079

Post#90 » by Westside Gunn » Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:05 am

I heard this on satellite radio and I swear I probably heard this at a club in those flashback music days. People really enjoyed it.

It has a vibe.

So I went to Spotify and tried some of their music, dang, 80's were definitely some kinda feel.
i miss the days when the bricks was only nineteeeeeeeen, i need a 100 right now
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,417

Post#91 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:19 am

FILMMAKER - NOIR TIMES [FULL EP]

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
bballsparkin
RealGM

Post#92 » by bballsparkin » Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:03 am

For the hard heads. here's some songs that are new to me.......first one not that hard,...i'm aging...going through changes.,,,Image
bballsparkin
RealGM

Post#93 » by bballsparkin » Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:18 am

Merit
Head Coach

Post#94 » by Merit » Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:01 am

Westside Gunn wrote:I heard this on satellite radio and I swear I probably heard this at a club in those flashback music days. People really enjoyed it.

It has a vibe.

So I went to Spotify and tried some of their music, dang, 80's were definitely some kinda feel.

First time ever hearing this song. I would never have believed that the lead singer looked the way they did. This is definitely ready for a remix.
I believe in Masai.
Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,944

Post#95 » by Kevin Willis » Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:27 pm

Duffman100 wrote:Big into banjo type music.

There's a little known band named Caamp that I love. Sons of the East, Noah Kahan, San Fermin.

Also back in to JJ Cale lately.

Interesting. A little bluesy and folksy combined. Will check them out thanks.
Ska needs to make a comeback.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,204

Post#96 » by YogurtProducer » Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:32 pm

Brinbe wrote:

Whole project is worth the listen. Great stuff from Danny.

This might be the AOTY. Loved Scaring the Hoes as well but Quaranta is so much more versatile in terms of when / how you can listen to it. Jenn's Terrific Vacation is one of my favorite songs this year.

Some recent additions:

Aesop Rock - Integrated Tech Solutions
Butcher Brown - Solar Music
Tinashe - BB/ANG3L
Maruja - Knocknarea (definitely growing on me... might get up there with Quaranta for me)
Queens of the Stone Age - In Times New Roman

All pretty solid albums
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,944

Post#97 » by Kevin Willis » Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:35 pm

lobosloboslobos wrote:
In a season where the Raps are "old, overrated, depressing, and bad".... how about a little bit of "fun, uplifting, and youthful" music? (kinda like the wants of...tank nation???!?), instead of worrying about being cool, dark, edgy, or deep.

If I had just watched this video without sound I never would have expected such a kickass jungly beat. i have to say that it's kind of hard for me to connect these girls with the song and the singing but it is definitely a catchy groove. nice!

The best pop music right now is probably from Korea / Japan. They took the pop here from the N. America and made it better, catchier. Reminds me of all the old boy and girl groups we no longer see.
Ska needs to make a comeback.
ontnut
RealGM

Post#98 » by ontnut » Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:13 pm

Kevin Willis wrote:
lobosloboslobos wrote:

The best pop music right now is probably from Korea / Japan. They took the pop here from the N. America and made it better, catchier. Reminds me of all the old boy and girl groups we no longer see.

They've definitely refined the pop music formula in all aspects, from the visuals, to the catchy hooks, singable choruses, and relatable verses. I'd be lying if I denied that much of Kpop is formulaic, but as a genre it's entering a very interesting phase now, where almost in "retaliation" to this formula, Kpop as a genre is gradually branching and experimenting in more "artistic" ways (not sure if right word ?!) and that's kind of a first, at least in terms of Asian pop in general.
tradejosehesux
Starter
And1: 3,858

Post#99 » by tradejosehesux » Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:44 pm

Just got into Chris Stapleton a few months ago. He's awesome and has a new album out that's pretty good.
pingpongrac
RealGM
And1: 16,249

Post#100 » by pingpongrac » Fri Feb 2, 2024 3:11 pm

I've been obsessed with Bilmuri recently. For those who know of the "crabcore" boom in the late 2000s, Johnny Franck (the mind behind Bilmuri now) was one of the pioneers as the guitarist/clean vocalist of Attack Attack! :lol:

It's cool to see him still doing wacky and/or unique things but significantly more well done. The newest material is some of his best work IMO and it's just such a fun time. I could see a lot of these songs getting radio playtime if Bilmuri ever became more well-known.

http://youtu.be/1SYYjaVyqd4?si=9eS_K1Sg306lAhkY

http://youtu.be/nVEZlujnPR8?si=vaMguP1gOCZt7wji

http://youtu.be/hcZeg8_vo6U?si=5P-CzDYAGNRsB1BA

http://youtu.be/QdUE9_G94pg?si=GK2SatIgUe0aGc_B

Return to Toronto Raptors