ImageImageImageImageImage

Tank World Order (The Remix Vol. IV)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

SpezNc
Pro Prospect
And1: 539

Re: Tank World Order (The Remix Vol. IV) 

Post#1601 » by SpezNc » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:53 am

Raptors lost 14 of last 15
Raptors lost 16 of last 20

And barely at #6. #5 is still very distant.

The three games post all star games are hurting right now
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,515

Post#1602 » by Harry Palmer » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:09 am

SpezNc wrote:Raptors lost 14 of last 15

They weren’t really tanking until Scottie got hurt, no idea why. Trading FRPs for old bigs 2 years in a row is, well, not what tanking teams do, at all. I’m still not sure what the plan was, or even if there was one, but yeah, it looks like we spun our wheels for too long, now it’s probably down to hoping for extraordinary luck with the ping pong balls.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
dTox
RealGM
And1: 15,600

Post#1603 » by dTox » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:18 am

Harry Palmer wrote:

They weren’t really tanking until Scottie got hurt, no idea why. Trading FRPs for old bigs 2 years in a row is, well, not what tanking teams do, at all. I’m still not sure what the plan was, or even if there was one, but yeah, it looks like we spun our wheels for too long, now it’s probably down to hoping for extraordinary luck with the ping pong balls.
If it fails, there's going to be a PR tour by the FO about how weak the draft is and how it's in their best interest to give up the pick to Spurs

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
TBZ for the win
Los_29
RealGM
And1: 11,829

Post#1604 » by Los_29 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:39 am

Harry Palmer wrote:

The FRP they gave up this year was OKC’s pick. Likely to be in that 27-30 range. Ochai was also in that deal and I’d argue was a more important piece than KO. We know what KO can do. He’s been on awful teams for awhile now. He’s not a needle mover but he will make guys around him better offensively. Good guy to have for our young players.
TorontoBarneys
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,169

Post#1605 » by TorontoBarneys » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:58 am

dTox wrote:
Harry Palmer wrote:

If it fails, there's going to be a PR tour by the FO about how weak the draft is and how it's in their best interest to give up the pick to Spurs

I don't think this board will take an outcome of conveying the pick this year and picking in the teens next year very well. :lol:

Here's hoping we give the Spurs a '26 or later pick out of this. It's getting real ugly.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,473

Post#1606 » by Raps in 4 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:11 pm

TorontoBarneys wrote:
dTox wrote:
Harry Palmer wrote:

I don't think this board will take an outcome of conveying the pick this year and picking in the teens next year very well. :lol:

Here's hoping we give the Spurs a '26 or later pick out of this. It's getting real ugly.

You already have posters on here saying that a pick in the mid-late teens next year is better than the #7 pick this year, lol. There will be plenty of Koolaid drinkers, don't worry.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,515

Post#1607 » by Harry Palmer » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:13 pm

Los_29 wrote:
Harry Palmer wrote:

The FRP they gave up this year was OKC’s pick. Likely to be in that 27-30 range. Ochai was also in that deal and I’d argue was a more important piece than KO. We know what KO can do. He’s been on awful teams for awhile now. He’s not a needle mover but he will make guys around him better offensively. Good guy to have for our young players.

You can argue Ochai was more important, but Masai said that they don’t make the trade without being confident KO will resign. And Ochai has been a negative performer in every sphere of basketball every year of his career. He’s a great linear athlete and will therefore occasionally make an impressive play, but he’s just not very good at basketball, and he turns 24 in a few weeks.

But the pick being a late FRP really doesn’t matter re: rebuilding, because it’s still a draft pick, as opposed to a 32 year old. And on the season he has 4.1 WS, which is tied for 2nd on the team with IQ, and if you don’t think that moves the needle much, YMMV, but it’s still moving it in the wrong direction, for a guy who will be out of the league by the time this team is contending. The opp. cost alone is bad for a tanking team, the actual strategic thinking is 100% contrary to rebuilding.

And lastly, getting good vets around your young stars can be beneficial, but not before you get all but one of them. It’s ass backwards and counter productive…it is literally making it harder to get them even before accounting for the fact that you gave up first round picks to get the disadvantage of their making it harder to get higher picks. Sorry, there is no way to look at the Jak or KO trades as anything but the opposite of tanking.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,287

Post#1608 » by Scase » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:59 pm

Harry Palmer wrote:

Meanwhile the entire pro compete brigade has been arguing with me the last 2 days that we've been tanking all season. There was never a tank, this was a retool* that pivoted into a tank due to random injuries. I sense some win now moves coming in the off season to ramp this team up into yet another mid play in team.
Props TZ!
billy_hoyle
Sixth Man
And1: 1,138

Post#1609 » by billy_hoyle » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:16 pm

Scase wrote:
Harry Palmer wrote:

Meanwhile the entire pro compete brigade has been arguing with me the last 2 days that we've been tanking all season. There was never a tank, this was a rebuild that pivoted into a tank due to random injuries. I sense some win now moves coming in the off season to ramp this team up into yet another mid play in team.

This was a tank as soon as your best player was traded for futures.
niQ
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 29,221

Post#1610 » by niQ » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:44 pm

Are we tanking next season in a better draft?
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,638

Post#1611 » by Fairview4Life » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:49 pm

niQ wrote:Are we tanking next season in a better draft?

Probably not. IQ/Barrett/Scottie/PF/Poeltl with Dick and Olynyk and a couple new picks isn't a tanking team without some significant injuries
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Fairview4Life
RealGM

Post#1612 » by Fairview4Life » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:49 pm

Scase wrote:Meanwhile the entire pro compete brigade has been arguing with me the last 2 days that we've been tanking all season.

No they haven't.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
niQ
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 29,221

Post#1613 » by niQ » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:54 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:

Probably not. IQ/Barrett/Scottie/PF/Poeltl with Dick and Olynyk and a couple new picks isn't a tanking team without some significant injuries

Maybe, we'll have to see how our defense holds up I guess. I was expecting at least 2-3 really bad years after Masai's whole patience speech.

"I don't know if I should call this a rebuild or a reset or however we want to put it, but a normal rebuild with other teams takes five or six years," said Ujiri. "Do we have the patience for that? Do we have the patience for three to five years building our team?

"Someway, somehow we are going to have to have patience. One of the things that I'm telling you, 100 per cent, I'm not going to B.S. anybody on, is that I am patient."
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,008

Post#1614 » by DelAbbot » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:14 pm

TorontoBarneys wrote:
dTox wrote:
Harry Palmer wrote:

Whatever makes you think we are picking the teens next year? We are likely to pick in the 7-9 range next year too, at best 10-11
Raps in 4
RealGM

Post#1615 » by Raps in 4 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:16 pm

I'm predicting 38-42 wins next season to secure a play-in re-match with Derozan's daughter and the Bulls.
DelAbbot
RealGM

Post#1616 » by DelAbbot » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:17 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:

LOL. You think this lineup is better than what we started with this season, with OG + PS?
Raps in 4
RealGM

Post#1617 » by Raps in 4 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:17 pm

DelAbbot wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:

LOL. You think this lineup is better than what we started with this season, with OG + PS?

It's better balanced. Siakam and Scottie didn't work.
DelAbbot
RealGM

Post#1618 » by DelAbbot » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:18 pm

niQ wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:

Maybe, we'll have to see how our defense holds up I guess. I was expecting at least 2-3 really bad years after Masai's whole patience speech.

"I don't know if I should call this a rebuild or a reset or however we want to put it, but a normal rebuild with other teams takes five or six years," said Ujiri. "Do we have the patience for that? Do we have the patience for three to five years building our team?

"Someway, somehow we are going to have to have patience. One of the things that I'm telling you, 100 per cent, I'm not going to B.S. anybody on, is that I am patient."

Masai has not shown patience for losing seasons (to acquire higher draft picks) necessary in a rebuild

The defense will be bad next year.
DelAbbot
RealGM

Post#1619 » by DelAbbot » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:19 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:

It's better balanced. Siakam and Scottie didn't work.

Come on, even if more balanced OG > RJ, and PS > IQ by a mile. How is this even an argument? I mean OG turned into IQ + RJ, and people expect IQ + RJ makes the team better than OG + PS? It's just a honeymoon phase.
Fairview4Life
RealGM

Post#1620 » by Fairview4Life » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:25 pm

DelAbbot wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:

LOL I think this lineup can hit the crazy lofty heights of 40% winning %, sure. That, to me, means we probably aren't tanking.

Return to Toronto Raptors