ImageImageImageImageImage

2023-24 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V2.0

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,755

Re: 2023-24 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V2.0 

Post#1961 » by ArthurVandelay » Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:09 pm

MiamiSPX wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
MiamiSPX wrote:
Based on a previous post, you're also operating under the flawed logic that GTJ and Brown will take massive paycuts. That is not happening IMO. Brown isn't declining that option, and GTJ is still young enough where some team might get stupid.

GTJ at 18 and Brown at 23 is still more preferable than losing them for nothing and striking out on a pipe dream RFA.

Dont try and move the goalposts here.

But FWIW - Brown has no say in if that option gets picked up. It is a team option.

I was referring to your suggestion that he work out an agreement with the team where they decline the option and he signs for 15M per season. That is not happening.

So now we're back at this strange Masai belief that Brown's value will grow as he gets closer to UFA status?

GTJ isn't even signing for 18M. He will get 20M+ from someone IMO. If money wasn't an issue between the Raps and him, he would have been re-signed a long time ago, like we heard was happening. Masai isn't going to win a showdown with Rich Paul.

I’m not too sure on your GTJr comments

He picked up the player option last year when he could have been an UFA. I don’t think that would have happened if there were multi year offers in same salary neighbourhood.
MiamiSPX
Analyst
And1: 4,079

Post#1962 » by MiamiSPX » Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:18 pm

ArthurVandelay wrote:
MiamiSPX wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:GTJ at 18 and Brown at 23 is still more preferable than losing them for nothing and striking out on a pipe dream RFA.

Dont try and move the goalposts here.

But FWIW - Brown has no say in if that option gets picked up. It is a team option.

I was referring to your suggestion that he work out an agreement with the team where they decline the option and he signs for 15M per season. That is not happening.

So now we're back at this strange Masai belief that Brown's value will grow as he gets closer to UFA status?

GTJ isn't even signing for 18M. He will get 20M+ from someone IMO. If money wasn't an issue between the Raps and him, he would have been re-signed a long time ago, like we heard was happening. Masai isn't going to win a showdown with Rich Paul.

He picked up the player option last year when he could have been an UFA. I don’t think that would have happened if there were multi year offers in same salary neighbourhood.

Well, they're definitely at odds over something and 99% sure it's about money. What else could it be? We heard they were close on an extension and that was 8 months ago. Picking up the option could have been Klutch not liking last summer's offers and knowing this year's UFA list is putrid.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,166

Post#1963 » by YogurtProducer » Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:22 pm

MiamiSPX wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:
MiamiSPX wrote:

Well, they're definitely at odds over something and 99% sure it's about money. What else could it be? We heard they were close on an extension and that was 8 months ago. Picking up the option could have been Klutch not liking last summer's offers and knowing this year's UFA list is putrid.

I mean last years free agent class was not great either.

Here are the guys who signed for 18M or more:

FVV
Irving
Grant
Middleton
Draymon
Lopez
Cam Johnson
Kuzma
Brown
Brooks
Poeltl
Dlo

Is GTJ better than anyone on this list? The most comparable guys were:

LeVert - 2/32
Strus - 4/62
Reaves 4/54
Divencenzo - 4/47
White - 3/36

Like IMO it is looking like GTJ might be in that 12-16M range, not the 18-22M range
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
islandboy53
Pro Prospect
And1: 499

Post#1964 » by islandboy53 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:02 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
MiamiSPX wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:

I mean last years free agent class was not great either.

Here are the guys who signed for 18M or more:

FVV
Irving
Grant
Middleton
Draymon
Lopez
Cam Johnson
Kuzma
Brown
Brooks
Poeltl
Dlo

Is GTJ better than anyone on this list? The most comparable guys were:

LeVert - 2/32
Strus - 4/62
Reaves 4/54
Divencenzo - 4/47
White - 3/36

Like IMO it is looking like GTJ might be in that 12-16M range, not the 18-22M range

It doesn't seem very complicated. He picked up his option at $18.5 million. He doesn't do that if there's anything better out there in FA. Clearly, he's hoping to put up good numbers and get better offers this year. And, equally clearly, that didn't happen. 12-16M sounds much more likely than 18-22M, whether it's with us or elsewhere.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,755

Post#1965 » by ArthurVandelay » Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:51 pm

MiamiSPX wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:
MiamiSPX wrote:

Possibly but I don’t think GTJr has enough talent to turn down guaranteed money. Saddiq Bey turned down $60m and now he has a blown knee.

If there was a dispute, it might have been on years too. Raps reportedly would only offer 3 years to Siakam.
Saul Goodman
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,368

Post#1966 » by Saul Goodman » Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:52 pm

I wonder if a deal with Memphis works for us. They are looking to contend next season.

Poetl
#15 Indy pick

For

Kennard
Derick Rose
#6 or #7

Make sure you get your guy on the top half of the lotto. If they keep their pick even better you can get two of topic Sheppard Matas etc and really jumpstart the rebuild.
2016 GMAT Blazers

Howard/Nene/
Griffin/M.Leonard/T.Jones
Porter/Marc.Morris/J.Johnson
McCollum/Stauskas/Thompson/Seldon
Lillard/Bayless/DeColo
islandboy53
Pro Prospect

Post#1967 » by islandboy53 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:07 pm

Saul Goodman wrote:I wonder if a deal with Memphis works for us. They are looking to contend next season.

Poetl
#15 Indy pick

For

Kennard
Derick Rose
#6 or #7

Make sure you get your guy on the top half of the lotto. If they keep their pick even better you can get two of topic Sheppard Matas etc and really jumpstart the rebuild.

I just don't understand some people's obsession with getting rid of Poeltl. His value to the team is clear. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
MessiahUjiri
Analyst
And1: 3,763

Post#1968 » by MessiahUjiri » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:15 pm

islandboy53 wrote:
Saul Goodman wrote:I wonder if a deal with Memphis works for us. They are looking to contend next season.

Poetl
#15 Indy pick

For

Kennard
Derick Rose
#6 or #7

I just don't understand some people's obsession with getting rid of Poeltl. His value to the team is clear. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I can see the rationale in that trade for both team if we are looking to tank next season (a distinct possibility).

I think the trade has to send us one of the young Forwards from Memphis also. They have a bunch of SF/PF in their early 20s. It’s kinda like the Ochai strategy again, where we get a recent draftee.
Fire everyone who doesn't win the NBA championship.

Tank for 2050. Robot players.

AbeVigodaLive wrote:NZ native, Steven Adams, was initially cast as Gandalf in Lord in the Rings... until Director Peter Jackson replaced him with a younger looking actor.
islandboy53
Pro Prospect

Post#1969 » by islandboy53 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:30 am

MessiahUjiri wrote:
islandboy53 wrote:

Poetl
#15 Indy pick

For

Kennard
Derick Rose
#6 or #7

I can see the rationale in that trade for both team if we are looking to tank next season (a distinct possibility).

I think the trade has to send us one of the young Forwards from Memphis also. They have a bunch of SF/PF in their early 20s. It’s kinda like the Ochai strategy again, where we get a recent draftee.

If tanking is your plan, then trading Poeltl is a great idea. We're definitely a worse team when you remove his interior defence, rebounding, passing, screen setting ... but, we are not tanking next year.
Tripod
Head Coach
And1: 6,291

Post#1970 » by Tripod » Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:31 am

islandboy53 wrote:

Poetl
#15 Indy pick

For

Kennard
Derick Rose
#6 or #7

Yeah it makes no sense.

He is a good starting C....we NEED a good starting C....and we have no replacement for him.
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,196

Post#1971 » by Mr Swagtastic » Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:15 am

Poetl
#15 Indy pick

For

Kennard
Derick Rose
#6 or #7

Depending on what happens with Toronto's pick. If we keep it and it's top 3 and we get Sarr it's a homerun. You take Sarr plus Buzelis with Memphis pick. I am trying to see the fit for Memphis because they have JJJ and I think they want #6 to add Holland or Salaun or Buzelis.
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
MessiahUjiri
Analyst
And1: 3,763

Post#1972 » by MessiahUjiri » Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:18 am

Tripod wrote:
islandboy53 wrote:

Poetl
#15 Indy pick

For

Kennard
Derick Rose
#6 or #7

Yeah it makes no sense.

He is a good starting C....we NEED a good starting C....and we have no replacement for him.

Don’t be so quick:

If Grizzlies jump a couple of slots to #4, Alex Sarr may be available. He’s got Evan Mobley like scouting reports, but he’s too young to fit the Grizzlies timeline.

You can see a world where they might shop the pick for a C and a trade back

Another path for a trade is if WE jump to the top 4 and Raps pick Sarr. The draft lottery will dictate the trade path. You can easily see some of Poeltl / Brown / Boucher being dangled depending on where the pick lands.
Fire everyone who doesn't win the NBA championship.

Tank for 2050. Robot players.

AbeVigodaLive wrote:NZ native, Steven Adams, was initially cast as Gandalf in Lord in the Rings... until Director Peter Jackson replaced him with a younger looking actor.
islandboy53
Pro Prospect

Post#1973 » by islandboy53 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:04 am

MessiahUjiri wrote:
Tripod wrote:
islandboy53 wrote:

Yeah it makes no sense.

Don’t be so quick:

If Grizzlies jump a couple of slots to #4, Alex Sarr may be available. He’s got Evan Mobley like scouting reports, but he’s too young to fit the Grizzlies timeline.

Another path for a trade is if WE jump to the top 4 and Raps pick Sarr. The draft lottery will dictate the trade path. You can easily see some of Poeltl / Brown / Boucher being dangled depending on where the pick lands.

I can see Brown or Boucher being dangled. Poeltl not so much.
bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,499

Post#1974 » by bballsparkin » Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:08 am

Poetl
#15 Indy pick

For

Kennard
Derick Rose
#6 or #7

Seems like a bad look considering the Spurs might be getting the #7 or #8 from the Jakob trade. I guess it depends who is available though. It would be good for next years tank. Which I have a hard time imagining the FO attempting to do.
Tripod
Head Coach
And1: 6,291

Post#1975 » by Tripod » Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:08 am

MessiahUjiri wrote:
Tripod wrote:
islandboy53 wrote:

Yeah it makes no sense.

Don’t be so quick:

Disagree. Yak won't be dangled.
bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,499

Post#1976 » by bballsparkin » Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:14 am

I don't think they'll let Brown go. His expiring is too good not to hold onto. He may be overpaid but there is no commitment. Any team trading for him would be able to see if he fits and then look to re-sign him. And despite the flack he gets, I don't think he's playing that bad. New team and different expectations. He seems to play well when he has a defined role with stars around him. He put up a tidy little line this evening of 12 4 and 5 assists while shooting 5/8 and 2/3 from deep. Plus a steal.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,890

Post#1977 » by OAKLEY_2 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:32 am

islandboy53 wrote:

Poetl
#15 Indy pick

For

Kennard
Derick Rose
#6 or #7

Correct. Poetl proves you can be a starter with no jump shot. He has to be elite at other skills to pull that off. Poetl is a glue guy.
UnbelievablyRAW
Analyst
And1: 3,659

Post#1978 » by UnbelievablyRAW » Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:31 am

islandboy53 wrote:

Poetl
#15 Indy pick

For

Kennard
Derick Rose
#6 or #7

Id do it if I loved one of those top guys.

Poeltl will be 28 next year and isn’t the difference between us being a playoff team and a lottery team. We’re lottery regardless, maybe play in at best next year.

If we can trade him for a top 10 pick we can add another high level prospect to add to our core rather than keep Poeltl through his prime when it doesn’t change our trajectory
"Above average role player is now being paid like a superstar from one good playoff series. This will end up as one of the worst contracts in the league." paulbball on Pascal Siakam
islandboy53
Pro Prospect

Post#1979 » by islandboy53 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:44 pm

UnbelievablyRAW wrote:
islandboy53 wrote:

Poetl
#15 Indy pick

For

Kennard
Derick Rose
#6 or #7

Id do it if I loved one of those top guys.

Poeltl will be 28 next year and isn’t the difference between us being a playoff team and a lottery team. We’re lottery regardless, maybe play in at best next year.

If we can trade him for a top 10 pick we can add another high level prospect to add to our core rather than keep Poeltl through his prime when it doesn’t change our trajectory

We're tanking (ie. giving a lot of minutes to young guys who would otherwise have trouble seeing the floor) only because of the injuries to Barnes and Poeltl. Absent those injuries, we would be competing for the play in, and will be again next year, with Poeltl, as well as 2 draft picks and whoever we pick up in FA. Our trajectory is already in the right direction, despite the temporary step back we've been forced to take.
islandboy53
Pro Prospect

Post#1980 » by islandboy53 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:51 pm

bballsparkin wrote:I don't think they'll let Brown go. His expiring is too good not to hold onto. He may be overpaid but there is no commitment. Any team trading for him would be able to see if he fits and then look to re-sign him. And despite the flack he gets, I don't think he's playing that bad. New team and different expectations. He seems to play well when he has a defined role with stars around him. He put up a tidy little line this evening of 12 4 and 5 assists while shooting 5/8 and 2/3 from deep. Plus a steal.

Or even just competent veterans who know what they're doing. I just don't see any upside in letting him walk. He won't bring back a haul, but the return will be positive.

Return to Toronto Raptors