ImageImageImageImageImage

WOJ - OG to Knicks (Live Presser pg 67)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

James_Raptors
RealGM
And1: 10,802

Re: WOJ - OG to Knicks (Live Presser pg 67) 

Post#1661 » by James_Raptors » Mon Jan 8, 2024 2:56 am

WaltFrazier wrote:
maternal85 wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:I'm no student of recent Knicks history but my understanding is they've been trying to build a solid foundation of young players under the current regime? Not like the days of buying stars like Carmelo.

Then why trade Quick ? The OG move is if you need a final piece. Just how we did the Marc Gasol trade. They're just throwing anything at the wall hoping it sticks.

I read somebody say it's easier to replace what IQ did than to get what OG provides. Now they still do need to go acquire a guard or bench scorer to replace Quickley's scoring, no doubt.

I assume they don't see OG as the final piece, but a necessary piece to keep building. And get their final piece, or bigger star, in summer.

I don't think the order in which the 2019 Raps were built is set in stone as the only way. In another timeline Masai could have got Gasol first then Kawhi as the final piece.

No one can say the Knicks are on the right path for sure, but it's fair to say they have a better plan than just throwing stuff at the wall.

They needed the glue that holds it together. OG is the binder, the connective tissue on defense, that allows for a more efficient offence and the freedom to just add a big time scorer (or whatever) because they dont have to focus so much on how great they are on defense too. So instead of having to mask RJ's defensive woes, they have the luxury of just adding the final jewel to their crown, theoretically. That's why a guy like OG is wanted on most teams in the NBA, because of his blue collar, POA defense, he makes it so much easier for his scorers. They don't have to waste as much time on defense (which they do worse, anyways) and can focus on their scoring strengths. So in that sense it allows each player to focus on their respective strengths, thus giving them max efficiency per role and position.
08-14-'21:
(re: Scottie Barnes)
-Top 3 Raptors of all-time, 5+ ASG, Min 1 All-NBA 1st /2nd,Min 3 All-Def 1st or 2nd team,between years 2-3 in the running for best current player on our roster,best Raptor on the team, multiple years in a row

RIP Hater
James_Raptors
RealGM

Post#1662 » by James_Raptors » Mon Jan 8, 2024 2:59 am

Oops wrong thread.
08-14-'21:
-Top 3 Raptors of all-time, 5+ ASG, Min 1 All-NBA 1st /2nd,Min 3 All-Def 1st or 2nd team,between years 2-3 in the running for best current player on our roster,best Raptor on the team, multiple years in a row

RIP Hater
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,649

Post#1663 » by WaltFrazier » Mon Jan 8, 2024 3:01 am

James_Raptors wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:
maternal85 wrote:
Then why trade Quick ? The OG move is if you need a final piece. Just how we did the Marc Gasol trade. They're just throwing anything at the wall hoping it sticks.

I read somebody say it's easier to replace what IQ did than to get what OG provides. Now they still do need to go acquire a guard or bench scorer to replace Quickley's scoring, no doubt.

I assume they don't see OG as the final piece, but a necessary piece to keep building. And get their final piece, or bigger star, in summer.

I don't think the order in which the 2019 Raps were built is set in stone as the only way. In another timeline Masai could have got Gasol first then Kawhi as the final piece.

No one can say the Knicks are on the right path for sure, but it's fair to say they have a better plan than just throwing stuff at the wall.

They needed the glue that holds it together. OG is the binder, the connective tissue on defense, that allows for a more efficient offence and the freedom to just add a big time scorer (or whatever) because they dont have to focus so much on how great they are on defense too. So instead of having to mask RJ's defensive woes, they have the luxury of just adding the final jewel to their crown, theoretically. That's why a guy like OG is wanted on most teams in the NBA, because of his blue collar, POA defense, he makes it so much easier for his scorers. They don't have to waste as much time on defense (which they do worse, anyways) and can focus on their scoring strengths. So in that sense it allows each player to focus on their respective strengths, thus giving them max efficiency per role and position.

Yeah that glue effect has been evident in OGs games so far. It doesn't jump out like a guy scoring 25, but the effect is real if you know the game.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
James_Raptors
RealGM

Post#1664 » by James_Raptors » Mon Jan 8, 2024 3:08 am

WaltFrazier wrote:
James_Raptors wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:I read somebody say it's easier to replace what IQ did than to get what OG provides. Now they still do need to go acquire a guard or bench scorer to replace Quickley's scoring, no doubt.

Yeah that glue effect has been evident in OGs games so far. It doesn't jump out like a guy scoring 25, but the effect is real if you know the game.

And you see so many teams covet players of that ilk, because he's also a coaches dream and management hears that talk. Guys like OG take a lot of pressure off the side of the ball that most players instinctively don't give a **** about.And it also makes the game, more "fun" for the rest of the guys. And don't get me wrong, I think OG has a lot of pride in his defense and I'm sure has a lot of pride when he get's noticed for it. So it's not like his impact is utterly ignored, if you know what I mean. It's like Dray (much differently, of course) who knows his job is the rover, he had the tough calls and the last wall of defence. But he loves being called one of the game's best at it. It's definitely an ego filler for players of that ilk (JJ in Memphis is another example).
08-14-'21:

RIP Hater
James_Raptors
RealGM

Post#1665 » by James_Raptors » Mon Jan 8, 2024 3:14 am

Damnit wrong thread again. I must, close, this..... one.
08-14-'21:

RIP Hater
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#1666 » by WaltFrazier » Mon Jan 8, 2024 3:15 am

James_Raptors wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:
James_Raptors wrote:

And you see so many teams covet players of that ilk, because he's also a coaches dream and management hears that talk. Guys like OG take a lot of pressure off the side of the ball that most players instinctively don't give a **** about.And it also makes the game, more "fun" for the rest of the guys. And don't get me wrong, I think OG has a lot of pride in his defense and I'm sure has a lot of pride when he get's noticed for it. So it's not like his impact is utterly ignored, if you know what I mean. It's like Dray (much differently, of course) who knows his job is the rover, he had the tough calls and the last wall of defence. But he loves being called one of the game's best at it. It's definitely an ego filler for players of that ilk (JJ in Memphis is another example).

For sure OG wants that All D recognition, rightfully so.

A poster on the Knicks board said, he's our Draymond our Rodman. An older poster said no, Debusschere. Some were too young to get it. :D
James_Raptors
RealGM

Post#1667 » by James_Raptors » Mon Jan 8, 2024 3:24 am

WaltFrazier wrote:
James_Raptors wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:Yeah that glue effect has been evident in OGs games so far. It doesn't jump out like a guy scoring 25, but the effect is real if you know the game.

For sure OG wants that All D recognition, rightfully so.

A poster on the Knicks board said, he's our Draymond our Rodman. An older poster said no, Debusschere. Some were too young to get it. :D

He was the only player (at the time) I've ever made any predictions about, actually technically in my life as a fan of hoops. And I'm not young (I'm retired). But in the case of OG, I bought his jersey before he played an NBA game (never done that before). He became the only avatar I've used here on REALGM until the day of the trade with NY. I predicted he would be considered all NBA defensive and at least one nomination of DPOY. I really don't think he's far off from hitting on both, especially now that he's in the limelights, even though that award favors big men , who normally impact team defenses on a larger scale, rather than POA/best opposing player.
08-14-'21:

RIP Hater
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#1668 » by WaltFrazier » Mon Jan 8, 2024 6:08 am

[
Read on Twitter
]
Agimat
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,896

Post#1669 » by Agimat » Mon Jan 8, 2024 6:19 am

The Knicks are almost poised to contend. They're only one player away, imo.
HumbleRen
RealGM
And1: 23,062

Post#1670 » by HumbleRen » Mon Jan 8, 2024 6:20 am

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=jjXxOoE4yWMd4fG6_-MQMQ
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,284

Post#1672 » by PhilBlackson » Mon Jan 8, 2024 3:13 pm

While it still worked out for the Knicks, we won the trade.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai GA
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#1673 » by WaltFrazier » Mon Jan 8, 2024 4:30 pm

A few posts on the Knicks board saying this will replace the Hali-Sabonis trade as the gold standard for Win-Win trades.

Of course it's very early, trades need a year or more to really evaluate.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,514

Post#1674 » by OakleyDokely » Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:42 pm

Knicks 5-0
Raptors 3-2

OG: 33.3 MIN, 14.2 PPG, 5.0 REB, 1.0 AST, .549 FG, .455 3PT, .833 FT, +1,000,000,000,000
RJ: 32.2 MIN, 21.4 PPG, 7.2 REB, 3.4 AST, .585 FG, .500 3PT, .769 FT
IQ: 30.0 MIN, 18.0 PPG, 4.8 REB, 6.2 AST, .431 FG, .457 3PT, .750 FT

It's a hard to think of a more win-win trade then this one so far.
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,203

Post#1675 » by djsunyc » Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:02 pm

i understand that this trade and the 2 franchises will forever be linked...but who cares what og is doing on the knicks now?

trade's done - both teams did well.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,755

Post#1676 » by ArthurVandelay » Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:03 pm

The Knicks are doing a great job trashing their former players at every opportunity, from “toxic” to now this:

One team source pointed out that in moving out Obi Toppin in the summer, then Barrett and Quickley recently, “We got rid of the softies.”

https://www.newsday.com/sports/columnists/steve-popper/knicks-trade-season-u7kp9mng?utm_medium=site_share_tools

They are clearly petrified of public opinion that the Raptors ever benefited from this trade. Masai lives in their head rent-free.
TimeForChange
Sixth Man
And1: 1,404

Post#1677 » by TimeForChange » Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:53 pm

Most NBA players are soft, including OG.

Wait until he misses 4 games with a papercut :lol:
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,285

Post#1678 » by Scase » Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:01 pm

alivinglegend wrote:
HumbleRen wrote:
ItsDanger wrote:OG usage in NY: 13.4%

He basically agreed to go there. It was rumored he wanted a bigger role here.

Therefore, if those are true, a bigger role = trade me right now.

These guys are human. It’s easier to stomach being a role player on a winning team vs being a role player on a treadmill team.

I'd say the Knicks qualify as a treadmill team, they're firmly stuck in the middle of the Eastern Conference playoff picture and just traded us their only player who could potentially grow into a star.

If the knicks are a treadmill team I'd love to know what you think we are lmao.
Props TZ!
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#1679 » by WaltFrazier » Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:01 am

Win win trade?

Read on Twitter
]
SpezNc
Pro Prospect
And1: 539

Post#1680 » by SpezNc » Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:17 am

WaltFrazier wrote:Win win trade?

Read on Twitter
]

Yes win-win trade despite Knicks beating the Raptors

Knicks needed O.G. O.G is less useful in a rebuild environment. He is a pure win now type of player
We need the offense of Quickley/Barrett as well a some draft capital (DET pick). Flynn was a throw in and Achiuwa expendable / easily replaceable.

Knicks are a better team with O.G
Raptors chose a direction with that trade.

Now let’s be patient.

Next season will be a challenge as well.

The focus needs to be for 2025-2026 IMO.

B/W now and then, let’s develops and grows.

Return to Toronto Raptors