ImageImageImageImageImage

Official RJ Barrett Thread

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

disoblige
Head Coach
And1: 793

Re: Official RJ Barrett Thread 

Post#1021 » by disoblige » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:22 am

BillNyeBballGuy wrote:We pretty much got our Demar DeRozan back

From what I remember, Demar was a mid range player who drew fouls for a living. RJ is more of a slasher, rebounder &3s. He doesn't look for fouls or shoot mid range.
Thaddy
Analyst
And1: 1,862

Post#1022 » by Thaddy » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:35 am

RJ isn't like DeRozan but their games have a similar degree of impact. They both need the ball and involvement in the offense to be effective. RJ ditching the mid range game could turn him into an all star with some more development. The biggest development would have to be his pick and roll offense, shooting, and most importantly man to man defense. I want to see 1.5+ stocks a game from him.
HKBOY
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,554

Post#1023 » by HKBOY » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:07 am

brownbobcat wrote:
mtcan wrote:His relentlessness and insistence on going to the basket is really refreshing. He's like Giannis without the freakish measurements and athleticism and Zion without the massive 300 pound frame.

I like the aggression, but you also wonder how well that bodes for the future if he doesn't have the freak athleticism to finish. You either need that or great touch.

RJ isn't athletic but he has excellent footwork and great touch around the basket, he is also an excellent cutter. I think everything he is doing right now is sustainable.

Many compared him to DeMar but they are nothing alike except body build. RJ is more of a young Paul Pierce without the mid range, his defense and 3 is already better than prime DeMar and his passing is miles ahead DeMar when he was 23.
billy_hoyle
Sixth Man
And1: 1,139

Post#1024 » by billy_hoyle » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:26 pm

HKBOY wrote:
brownbobcat wrote:
mtcan wrote:His relentlessness and insistence on going to the basket is really refreshing. He's like Giannis without the freakish measurements and athleticism and Zion without the massive 300 pound frame.

I like the aggression, but you also wonder how well that bodes for the future if he doesn't have the freak athleticism to finish. You either need that or great touch.

RJ isn't athletic but he has excellent footwork and great touch around the basket, he is also an excellent cutter. I think everything he is doing right now is sustainable.

Many compared him to DeMar but they are nothing alike except body build. RJ is more of a young Paul Pierce without the mid range, his defense and 3 is already better than prime DeMar and his passing is miles ahead DeMar when he was 23.

I'd be surprised if RJ became the passer that DeMar eventually became. I don't think it's particularly relevant to compare that aspect at 23 when DeMar made pretty uncommon improvements later in his career.

These guys are both big SGs that draw fouls when attacking the rim. I think it's pretty obvious that they share some very important physical traits. Can someone put their measurements next to each other?
SpezNc
Pro Prospect
And1: 543

Post#1025 » by SpezNc » Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:45 pm

I hope RJ is okay. If I interpret correctly the social medias, I think something happens to one of his close relative.

This could explain his personal leave of absence.

I hesitated posting this
binjumper
Starter
And1: 3,701

Post#1026 » by binjumper » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:14 pm

SpezNc wrote:I hope RJ is okay. If I interpret correctly the social medias, I think something happens to one of his close relative.

I hesitated posting this

His lil bro passed away :(
SpezNc
Pro Prospect
And1: 543

Post#1027 » by SpezNc » Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:35 pm

binjumper wrote:
SpezNc wrote:I hope RJ is okay. If I interpret correctly the social medias, I think something happens to one of his close relative.

I hesitated posting this

His lil bro passed away :(

So sad

[x]
Read on Twitter
?s=61&t=i9oiV7V_IVKI_hyZ3OS-wA[/x]
manjusaka
Senior
And1: 430

Post#1028 » by manjusaka » Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:26 pm

LastNameEver wrote:RJ and his family have also been battling a private manner, so what hes been doing is more impressive than you think.

Man, we know what it is right now. This post was on Feb. A true warrior I must say…
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,791

Post#1029 » by Dennis 37 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:17 pm

manjusaka wrote:
LastNameEver wrote:RJ and his family have also been battling a private manner, so what hes been doing is more impressive than you think.

Man, we know what it is right now. This post was on Feb. A true warrior I must say…

Sometimes the man just doesn't look happy even when playing well. This probably explains it.
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,904

Post#1030 » by LoveMyRaps » Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:32 pm

Dennis 37 wrote:
manjusaka wrote:

Sometimes the man just doesn't look happy even when playing well. This probably explains it.

Yeah, I noticed that as well. He usually plays with a lot of energy on the court, is always hyping up his teammates, and talks a lot. But recently I noticed he had been a lot more quiet and showing very little emotion. I thought maybe it was because all the losing sucked the energy out of the team but turns out it was deeper than that.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
kwajo
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,227

Post#1031 » by kwajo » Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:17 pm

I hope RJ takes some time away from the team to be with his family, it's far more important that basketball right now.
”I’m just a man, standing in front of a Raptor, asking them to love me.”
LastNameEver
General Manager
And1: 9,498

Post#1032 » by LastNameEver » Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:14 pm

manjusaka wrote:

I was not expecting him to pass when I said that, now I regret it.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,176

Post#1033 » by YogurtProducer » Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:24 pm

kwajo wrote:I hope RJ takes some time away from the team to be with his family, it's far more important that basketball right now.

Yeah he deserves the rest of the season. What is the point of playing these last 15 games? Be with your family man.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
YogurtProducer
RealGM

Post#1034 » by YogurtProducer » Wed Apr 3, 2024 10:31 pm

Pretty wild - RJ has not shot below 50% from the field since Feb 22 (ignore that was only 9 games ago) :lol:

But seriously - by my count he has been below 50% only 6 times in Toronto in 28 games.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,219

Post#1035 » by Dalek » Wed Apr 3, 2024 10:49 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:Pretty wild - RJ has not shot below 50% from the field since Feb 22 (ignore that was only 9 games ago) :lol:

But seriously - by my count he has been below 50% only 6 times in Toronto in 28 games.

RJ has been uber-efficient with Toronto as his shot diet is either at the rim or three. Where I laughed with someone's Derozan comparison is his mid-range shooting. RJ is a terrible mid-range scorer unlike Derozan who lives by it. I think RJ or Scottie should add mid-range shooting to their game. It is an important bailout option on the floor. This teams needs a multi-level scorer.
Vampirate
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,686

Post#1036 » by Vampirate » Thu Apr 4, 2024 2:32 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:Pretty wild - RJ has not shot below 50% from the field since Feb 22 (ignore that was only 9 games ago) :lol:

RJ was supposed to be a negative asset, but (for this season at least) he's been a positive one.

I wonder if being traded to his hometown factored in his willingness to listen to change up his shot selection better, either that or the Knicks were just a terrible fit for him.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,490

Post#1037 » by WuTang_OG » Thu Apr 4, 2024 2:47 pm

Vampirate wrote:

RJ was supposed to be a negative asset, but (for this season at least) he's been a positive one.

I wonder if being traded to his hometown factored in his willingness to listen to change up his shot selection better, either that or the Knicks were just a terrible fit for him.

moreso terrible fit due to brunson and randle hogging it. RJ is picking his spots way better because he knows he will get the ball back. The shooting like most players will seperate good to great .. so he will need to really work on it this off-season
Vampirate
Lead Assistant

Post#1038 » by Vampirate » Thu Apr 4, 2024 2:51 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
Vampirate wrote:

moreso terrible fit due to brunson and randle hogging it. RJ is picking his spots way better because he knows he will get the ball back. The shooting like most players will seperate good to great .. so he will need to really work on it this off-season

I mean i'll be honest, if Brunson was on our team he'd be the #1 option here, even over Barnes.

It might be just a Thibs issue.
YogurtProducer
RealGM

Post#1039 » by YogurtProducer » Thu Apr 4, 2024 3:01 pm

Vampirate wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
Vampirate wrote:

I mean i'll be honest, if Brunson was on our team he'd be the #1 option here, even over Barnes.

It also was a huge change in role for RJ. He is averaging the least amount of shots sine his sophomore season (per 36, averaging 2 less shots here than he was in NYK

The mid range also went from about 13% of his shots to 3% here.

So:

1) better shot selection
2) taking less shots (so probably less bad shots
3) probably unsustainable 3 point shooting
Vampirate
Lead Assistant

Post#1040 » by Vampirate » Thu Apr 4, 2024 3:07 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
Vampirate wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:

It also was a huge change in role for RJ. He is averaging the least amount of shots sine his sophomore season (per 36, averaging 2 less shots here than he was in NYK

The mid range also went from about 13% of his shots to 3% here.

So:

1) better shot selection
2) taking less shots (so probably less bad shots
3) probably unsustainable 3 point shooting

The weird part in all this from a statistical standpoint (this season) is it's like we traded Siakam and got back Siakam.

For their respective teams that traded for them (this season) RJ and Siakam are posting eerily similar stats.

Return to Toronto Raptors