ImageImageImageImageImage

Pelley new MLSE boss, could be good for teams

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Merit
Head Coach
And1: 2,907

Re: Pelley new MLSE boss, could be good for teams 

Post#21 » by Merit » Thu Apr 4, 2024 3:49 pm

How well did he handle the turmoil at Rogers?
I believe in Masai.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,331

Post#22 » by Scase » Thu Apr 4, 2024 5:21 pm

C Court wrote:
Raptorland23 wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:I have funny stories about him.

Good guy.

I bet there is millions of Canadians out there that don’t find anything funny about their Rogers bills for what has become a standard basic necessity now a days.

I regress though. We just follow these money hungry bums that care little to nothing about anyone or anything in the grand scheme of things

Pelley is like any other cooperate stooge. Make money at all costs, even if it means you’re screwed.

I don’t disagree with the “make money at all costs” part. It’s an out of control problem that plagues the broader corporate landscape and screws workers.

That said, MLSE is not hiring anyone who is going to willingly reduce profits so that fans get a break with cheaper tickets, lower priced merch and cheaper broadcast fees. It’s not happening. Never.

I’ve said it many times before, MLSE is not your friend. You can choose to follow their sports teams or not. But what is good for you the fan is literally of no concern to them. It’s all about driving shareholder value.

I dont think it's being approached as "Make games cheaper", but rather "They won't do what is necessary for team success". As in a treadmill team that makes the 1st/2nd round the playoffs year in and out, but never has a realistic shot to go all the way, is better for profits, so going all in on a team to win will never happen.

Granted that's not really that much different from the past, but I guess the hope was that it might change.
Props TZ!
PRESTIGE
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,148
Location: The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

Post#23 » by PRESTIGE » Thu Apr 4, 2024 8:29 pm

Scase wrote:
C Court wrote:
Raptorland23 wrote:

I bet there is millions of Canadians out there that don’t find anything funny about their Rogers bills for what has become a standard basic necessity now a days.

I regress though. We just follow these money hungry bums that care little to nothing about anyone or anything in the grand scheme of things

Pelley is like any other cooperate stooge. Make money at all costs, even if it means you’re screwed.

I don’t disagree with the “make money at all costs” part. It’s an out of control problem that plagues the broader corporate landscape and screws workers.

That said, MLSE is not hiring anyone who is going to willingly reduce profits so that fans get a break with cheaper tickets, lower priced merch and cheaper broadcast fees. It’s not happening. Never.

I’ve said it many times before, MLSE is not your friend. You can choose to follow their sports teams or not. But what is good for you the fan is literally of no concern to them. It’s all about driving shareholder value.

I dont think it's being approached as "Make games cheaper", but rather "They won't do what is necessary for team success". As in a treadmill team that makes the 1st/2nd round the playoffs year in and out, but never has a realistic shot to go all the way, is better for profits, so going all in on a team to win will never happen.

Granted that's not really that much different from the past, but I guess the hope was that it might change.

It’s the GMs job to build the team to a level where opening the purse strings can potentially lead to a championship. Until then, what money are we talking about? Luxury tax? Expensive coach? New practice facility? None of these things factor in right now.
pilkoids
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,331

Post#24 » by pilkoids » Thu Apr 4, 2024 8:32 pm

johanliebert wrote:
Zeno wrote:From the article he sounds like a long term thinker which I think might bode well for getting a WNBA team in Toronto. The fact that he wanted to put real grass in the Rogers Centre, a move that would have limited the amount of events that could be held there, indicates that he might not be as resistant to taking a long-term chance at risking a few concert dates for WNBA games. That's just a complete guess though.

a wnba is akin to charity rogers wont do that

Toronto is exactly the kind of city that would embrace a wnba team
Westside Gunn
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,079

Post#25 » by Westside Gunn » Thu Apr 4, 2024 9:44 pm

WNBA players wont be able to afford to live in Toronto, or most cities in Canada now.

But anyhoo I think we may too much attention to these hires that have very little impact you see on the final product.

Lieweke was the most transformational because he was onboarded during a disaster.
i miss the days when the bricks was only nineteeeeeeeen, i need a 100 right now
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,198

Post#26 » by YogurtProducer » Thu Apr 4, 2024 9:48 pm

Westside Gunn wrote:WNBA players wont be able to afford to live in Toronto, or most cities in Canada now.

Yeah, those girls making 66K min (90K CAD) for 5-6 months are REALLY gonna struggle :roll:
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
Westside Gunn
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,079

Post#27 » by Westside Gunn » Thu Apr 4, 2024 11:41 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
Westside Gunn wrote:WNBA players wont be able to afford to live in Toronto, or most cities in Canada now.

Yeah, those girls making 66K min (90K CAD) for 5-6 months are REALLY gonna struggle :roll:

90k goes a long way where you live. But Toronto is a completely different beast.
i miss the days when the bricks was only nineteeeeeeeen, i need a 100 right now
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,331

Post#28 » by Scase » Thu Apr 4, 2024 11:58 pm

PRESTIGE wrote:
Scase wrote:
C Court wrote:

It’s the GMs job to build the team to a level where opening the purse strings can potentially lead to a championship. Until then, what money are we talking about? Luxury tax? Expensive coach? New practice facility? None of these things factor in right now.

Some orgs just don't want to open the purse strings ever. Consistent revenue and lux tax payments > pushing into the lux tax and failing. He was the CEO of Rogers, his background is squeezing out every red cent possible.

I think people have plenty of reasons to be cautious/doubtful.
Props TZ!
Raptor_Guy
General Manager
And1: 3,055

Post#29 » by Raptor_Guy » Thu Apr 4, 2024 11:58 pm

Isn't he the guy who negotiated that crazy NHL deal for Sportsnet that lost them a lot of money then left immediately after?
anotherhomer
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,004

Post#30 » by anotherhomer » Fri Apr 5, 2024 12:09 am

Raptor_Guy wrote:Isn't he the guy who negotiated that crazy NHL deal for Sportsnet that lost them a lot of money then left immediately after?

the key thing is that he likes the spotlight....

it seems like we'll be looking at a new GM in a few years

Ujiri should had started the rebuild earlier
2019nbachamps
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,604

Post#31 » by 2019nbachamps » Fri Apr 5, 2024 12:32 am

YogurtProducer wrote:

Highest tax in WNBA + agent fees + union dues means things would still be tight for them here. Renting a decent condo here is $2.5K+++ a month.
hype_2004
RealGM
And1: 4,664

Post#32 » by hype_2004 » Fri Apr 5, 2024 1:06 am

2019nbachamps wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:

Highest tax in WNBA + agent fees + union dues means things would still be tight for them here. Renting a decent condo here is $2.5K+++ a month.

These b*thes would be living in some slumlords basement somewhere :nod: :lol: and that's no lie with that income.
YogurtProducer
RealGM

Post#33 » by YogurtProducer » Fri Apr 5, 2024 1:45 am

Westside Gunn wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:

90k goes a long way where you live. But Toronto is a completely different beast.

Come on man :lol:

90K for 5 months work is great money anywhere. That is $200K a year over 12 months.

The average toronto salary is 57K.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
YogurtProducer
RealGM

Post#34 » by YogurtProducer » Fri Apr 5, 2024 1:46 am

2019nbachamps wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:

You guys are insane man.

These girls are not gonna be hurting for money brining in $90K over a half year :lol:
SpezNc
Pro Prospect
And1: 545

Post#35 » by SpezNc » Fri Apr 5, 2024 4:55 am

Badonkadonk wrote:He's the former prez of Rogers Media, which means I immediately do not trust him.

Indeed I don’t trust Ed Rogers.

Everything I read about Ed Rogers is worrying me (his Masai rebuttal , his opposition to WNBA, his relation to Trump, his problems with his family)

If the new president is linked to Rogers, it’s a red flag IMO.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,901

Post#36 » by OAKLEY_2 » Fri Apr 5, 2024 9:15 am

WuTang_OG wrote:MLSE has been sleeping since 2019. They needed a fresh voice

Wait so during the Richard Peddie reign of error years they weren"t sleeping? The Bubble and Tampa and closed borders cannot be forgotten. We are, thankfully, a sovereign country with a national border that was closed by two national governments. The NBA did not do that nor did MLSE.The Raptors lost about three years of development. America lost a million people. Where is the recognition of that unprecedented calamity? Swept under a rug like all inconvenient information. More dead than both world wars. Hello! Who is taking the nap from reality? Pro sports? When has it ever been about a dose of reality? Somebody somewhere all over has paid a huge price since 2019.. Sleeping since the end of a Pandemic might be a thing called recovery. Within the league it was called paying a price no other team paid but was part of a huge memory lapse of what the whole planet went through. Most people lost three years of their lives. Some people way less fortunate lost a lot more. Look at the cost and affordability crisis. Look at the cost of an over leveraged hotel chain room for a night. Look at your mortgage or your rent or the two year wait to buy a car or a used car that costs more than a new one. Look at Galen President's Choice food price gouging. Or, look at your health care or your education forced on students as online learning or juggled and delayed scheduling to get medical procedures.

It is not who frickin took a nap but who stole a whole economy while people were forced to isolate six feet apart or stay home if they had one. If Raptors took a nap they were doing the same as everyone else. The difference is Raptors are entertainment. Not mission critical.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,538

Post#37 » by WuTang_OG » Fri Apr 5, 2024 11:22 am

OAKLEY_2 wrote:

Wait so during the Richard Peddie reign of error years they weren"t sleeping? The Bubble and Tampa and closed borders cannot be forgotten. We are, thankfully, a sovereign country with a national border that was closed by two national governments. The NBA did not do that nor did MLSE.The Raptors lost about three years of development. America lost a million people. Where is the recognition of that unprecedented calamity? Swept under a rug like all inconvenient information. More dead than both world wars. Hello! Who is taking the nap from reality? Pro sports? When has it ever been about a dose of reality? Somebody somewhere all over has paid a huge price since 2019.. Sleeping since the end of a Pandemic might be a thing called recovery. Within the league it was called paying a price no other team paid but was part of a huge memory lapse of what the whole planet went through. Most people lost three years of their lives. Some people way less fortunate lost a lot more. Look at the cost and affordability crisis. Look at the cost of an over leveraged hotel chain room for a night. Look at your mortgage or your rent or the two year wait to buy a car or a used car that costs more than a new one. Look at Galen President's Choice food price gouging. Or, look at your health care or your education forced on students as online learning or juggled and delayed scheduling to get medical procedures.

It is not who frickin took a nap but who stole a whole economy while people were forced to isolate six feet apart or stay home if they had one. If Raptors took a nap they were doing the same as everyone else. The difference is Raptors are entertainment. Not mission critical.

Peddie years they were just soaking in money with the teachers fund and were delusional on how to operate teams. Im talking under the new ownership. They’ve been sleeping since 2019 cuz they didnt push. Losing leiweke hurt their focus
Raptor_Guy
General Manager
And1: 3,055

Post#38 » by Raptor_Guy » Fri Apr 5, 2024 12:45 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
OAKLEY_2 wrote:

Peddie years they were just soaking in money with the teachers fund and were delusional on how to operate teams. Im talking under the new ownership. They’ve been sleeping since 2019 cuz they didnt push. Losing leiweke hurt their focus

Huh? Leiweke left in 2015 and the Raptors, Leafs and Toronto FC all had their best years after that.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,538

Post#39 » by WuTang_OG » Fri Apr 5, 2024 1:44 pm

Raptor_Guy wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
OAKLEY_2 wrote:

Huh? Leiweke left in 2015 and the Raptors, Leafs and Toronto FC all had their best years after that.

Leiweke put everything in place for them to be successful. He was the driving force for MLSE which completely changed the direction of all the franchises. To my original point, since 2019 and covid, things have gotten stagnant. The focus across all teams has been lacking. That's not really up for debate, with the Raps and TFC prime examples.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,619

Post#40 » by OakleyDokely » Fri Apr 5, 2024 2:17 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
2019nbachamps wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:Yeah, those girls making 66K min (90K CAD) for 5-6 months are REALLY gonna struggle :roll:

You guys are insane man.

These girls are not gonna be hurting for money brining in $90K over a half year :lol:

Not to mention, there are teams currently in NY, LA, CHI, SEA...which aren't exactly known for being cheap places to live.

If anything, the US dollars they're being paid goes a lot further here.

Return to Toronto Raptors