ImageImageImageImageImage

Pelley new MLSE boss, could be good for teams

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Pelley new MLSE boss, could be good for teams 

Post#1 » by dagger » Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:51 pm

In the absence of a president, voices like Ed Rogers are amplified. Putting a strong new boss with a strong promotional sense in the job can only be a plus for the teams.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/mlse-to-hire-keith-pelley-as-president-chief-executive-1.2060702
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,898

Re: Pelley new MLSE boss, could be good for teams 

Post#2 » by Zeno » Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:01 pm

From the article he sounds like a long term thinker which I think might bode well for getting a WNBA team in Toronto. The fact that he wanted to put real grass in the Rogers Centre, a move that would have limited the amount of events that could be held there, indicates that he might not be as resistant to taking a long-term chance at risking a few concert dates for WNBA games. That's just a complete guess though.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,548

Post#3 » by WuTang_OG » Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:04 am

MLSE has been sleeping since 2019. They needed a fresh voice
Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,759

Post#4 » by Badonkadonk » Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:46 am

He's the former prez of Rogers Media, which means I immediately do not trust him.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 37,624

Post#5 » by Tor_Raps » Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:52 am

Does this guy care at all about basketball or is he a puckhead? Seen videos of him with the leafs but nothing with the Raptors.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,905

Post#6 » by Duffman100 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:54 am

I have funny stories about him.

Good guy.
C Court
RealGM
And1: 25,166

Post#7 » by C Court » Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:33 am

Pelley is a good hire for sure.
NBA Champion Toronto Raptors
2019nbachamps
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,606

Post#8 » by 2019nbachamps » Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:41 am

A friend used to work for him. Says he’s great.
2019nbachamps
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,606

Post#9 » by 2019nbachamps » Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:43 am

Tor_Raps wrote:Does this guy care at all about basketball or is he a puckhead? Seen videos of him with the leafs but nothing with the Raptors.

That’s not a bad thing if he lets competent people handle daily affairs. Raptors business is in autopilot anyway. Team just needs to shore up on court situation.
Tor_Raps
RealGM

Post#10 » by Tor_Raps » Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:46 am

2019nbachamps wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:Does this guy care at all about basketball or is he a puckhead? Seen videos of him with the leafs but nothing with the Raptors.

That’s not a bad thing if he lets competent people handle daily affairs. Raptors business is in autopilot anyway. Team just needs to shore up on court situation.

But a bad thing when the Raptors need to request assets/budget.
johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,668

Post#11 » by johanliebert » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:32 pm

Zeno wrote:From the article he sounds like a long term thinker which I think might bode well for getting a WNBA team in Toronto. The fact that he wanted to put real grass in the Rogers Centre, a move that would have limited the amount of events that could be held there, indicates that he might not be as resistant to taking a long-term chance at risking a few concert dates for WNBA games. That's just a complete guess though.

a wnba is akin to charity rogers wont do that
dagger
RealGM

Post#12 » by dagger » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:46 pm

johanliebert wrote:
Zeno wrote:From the article he sounds like a long term thinker which I think might bode well for getting a WNBA team in Toronto. The fact that he wanted to put real grass in the Rogers Centre, a move that would have limited the amount of events that could be held there, indicates that he might not be as resistant to taking a long-term chance at risking a few concert dates for WNBA games. That's just a complete guess though.

If the cost is low, the value is high, especially since it generates content for the two sports networks. However, it would likely be more useful to TSN (Bell) as Rogers has the Blue Jays all to itself.
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,898

Post#13 » by Zeno » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:54 pm

dagger wrote:
johanliebert wrote:

If the cost is low, the value is high, especially since it generates content for the two sports networks. However, it would likely be more useful to TSN (Bell) as Rogers has the Blue Jays all to itself.

I agree and I think it would be profitable in the GTA but regardless of that, and the cheap content for the networks, I was just pointing out that there is a parallel between being willing to give up revenue for a better player and fan experience at the Rogers Centre and being willing to invest in the growth of a WNBA team at the expense of a few concert dates. Something MLSE was previously unwilling to do.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
dagger
RealGM

Post#14 » by dagger » Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:21 pm

Zeno wrote:
dagger wrote:
johanliebert wrote:a wnba is akin to charity rogers wont do that

I agree and I think it would be profitable in the GTA but regardless of that, and the cheap content for the networks, I was just pointing out that there is a parallel between being willing to give up revenue for a better player and fan experience at the Rogers Centre and being willing to invest in the growth of a WNBA team at the expense of a few concert dates. Something MLSE was previously unwilling to do.

I don't think it's the concert dates. The next couple of summers, MLSE will be doing major renovations to the Scotiabank Arena. The media didn't seem to realize how that might have affected the WNBA question. The building won't have summer availability for a few years, They could have stuck the team in the Pepsi Centre, I suppose, or out in Mississauga, but preferred not to.
Tor_Raps
RealGM

Post#15 » by Tor_Raps » Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:40 pm

dagger wrote:
Zeno wrote:
dagger wrote:

I don't think it's the concert dates. The next couple of summers, MLSE will be doing major renovations to the Scotiabank Arena. The media didn't seem to realize how that might have affected the WNBA question. The building won't have summer availability for a few years, They could have stuck the team in the Pepsi Centre, I suppose, or out in Mississauga, but preferred not to.

My guess is that they'll see how the Women's hockey league does first before committing to the WNBA.
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,930

Post#16 » by JN » Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:17 am

His performance on the European Tour (golf) is up for debate amongst golf fans / analysts.

Some will argue he did nothing to elevate the tour, and got played in his agreement with the American PGA tour.
Some will say his ability to partner up is the only reason it was able to maintain some importance and largely survive. Expecting him to really grow the tour was a tough ask in the circumstances.
But he did try new things to try to make the tour more interesting.

Either way, he certainly had to navigate some very tough negotiations over the past few years during the PGA/LIV debate.
Raptorland23
Junior
And1: 371

Post#17 » by Raptorland23 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:27 am

C Court wrote:Pelley is a good hire for sure.

Why?
Raptorland23
Junior
And1: 371

Post#18 » by Raptorland23 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:34 am

Duffman100 wrote:I have funny stories about him.

Good guy.

I bet there is millions of Canadians out there that don’t find anything funny about their Rogers bills for what has become a standard basic necessity now a days.

I regress though. We just follow these money hungry bums that care little to nothing about anyone or anything in the grand scheme of things

Pelley is like any other cooperate stooge. Make money at all costs, even if it means you’re screwed.
C Court
RealGM

Post#19 » by C Court » Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:32 am

Raptorland23 wrote:
C Court wrote:Pelley is a good hire for sure.

Why?

Why not?
C Court
RealGM

Post#20 » by C Court » Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:39 am

Raptorland23 wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:I have funny stories about him.

Good guy.

I bet there is millions of Canadians out there that don’t find anything funny about their Rogers bills for what has become a standard basic necessity now a days.

I regress though. We just follow these money hungry bums that care little to nothing about anyone or anything in the grand scheme of things

Pelley is like any other cooperate stooge. Make money at all costs, even if it means you’re screwed.

I don’t disagree with the “make money at all costs” part. It’s an out of control problem that plagues the broader corporate landscape and screws workers.

That said, MLSE is not hiring anyone who is going to willingly reduce profits so that fans get a break with cheaper tickets, lower priced merch and cheaper broadcast fees. It’s not happening. Never.

I’ve said it many times before, MLSE is not your friend. You can choose to follow their sports teams or not. But what is good for you the fan is literally of no concern to them. It’s all about driving shareholder value.

Return to Toronto Raptors