ImageImageImageImageImage

WOJ BOMB: Pascal Traded to Indiana

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,818

Re: WOJ BOMB: Pascal Traded to Indiana 

Post#1741 » by Zeno » Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:48 am

CazOnReal wrote:
Zeno wrote:That wasn’t his angle either. He was just saying he thought initially pacers made a mistake on that level but realized they hadn’t boxed themselves in like Bulls did. It wasn’t a comparison of Pascal and Vuc and it wasn’t an evaluation of the trade from the Raptors perspective either. It was basically him commenting on a previous trade where a fringe playoff team invested too much and that this wasn’t that though he initially thought it was.

That's fair. It does make me wonder what the eventual Siakam tree will look like in comparison to the Vucevic tree because Vuc turned in to...
Wendell Carter Jr.
Franz Wagner
Jett Howard

Howard's TBD but Franz is a borderline All-Star and Wendell, despite health issues, it arguably better now than Vucevic has been for the entirety of his Bulls tenure.

In comparison, the Raptors have turned Siakam in to...

Bruce Brown (to be traded, probably)
Jordan Nwora
Kira Lewis Jr. (tank replacement for Schroder when he's traded)
2024 IND 1st (Top 3 protected)
2024 worst of OKC/Clippers 1st
2026 IND 1st (Top 4 protected)
$10.2M trade exception

That will be hard to evaluate because it is likely other aspects like the use of capspace/TPE will muddy the waters a bit. I don’t think we get a Franz level player out of it. That would be amazing.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
CazOnReal
Senior
And1: 446

Post#1742 » by CazOnReal » Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:04 am

Zeno wrote:
CazOnReal wrote:
Zeno wrote:That wasn’t his angle either. He was just saying he thought initially pacers made a mistake on that level but realized they hadn’t boxed themselves in like Bulls did. It wasn’t a comparison of Pascal and Vuc and it wasn’t an evaluation of the trade from the Raptors perspective either. It was basically him commenting on a previous trade where a fringe playoff team invested too much and that this wasn’t that though he initially thought it was.

That's fair. It does make me wonder what the eventual Siakam tree will look like in comparison to the Vucevic tree because Vuc turned in to...
Wendell Carter Jr.
Franz Wagner
Jett Howard

Howard's TBD but Franz is a borderline All-Star and Wendell, despite health issues, it arguably better now than Vucevic has been for the entirety of his Bulls tenure.

In comparison, the Raptors have turned Siakam in to...

Bruce Brown (to be traded, probably)
Jordan Nwora
Kira Lewis Jr. (tank replacement for Schroder when he's traded)
2024 IND 1st (Top 3 protected)
2024 worst of OKC/Clippers 1st
2026 IND 1st (Top 4 protected)
$10.2M trade exception

That will be hard to evaluate because it is likely other aspects like the use of capspace/TPE will muddy the waters a bit. I don’t think we get a Franz level player out of it. That would be amazing.

The main benefit to moving Siakam right now - and it's the only reason I accept for the trade we got instead of making another team sweat it out leading up to the deadline - is the indirect benefits i.e. forcing Scottie to be the #1 option. Additionally, since we will be a worse team with Siakam, and make no mistake that we will lose a lot of our upcoming games, it gives us a higher chance of retaining our lottery pick which we can either use to draft a player who can grow alongside BBQ or trade it to get a better player right now.
pilkoids
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,330

Post#1743 » by pilkoids » Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:21 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:
Bruin wrote:lol Masai couldn’t even get this pick unprotected?
Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=6Hx3ZCSHlysihvhqh0K3hw

Eh, look at it positively. If Pacers end up in the lottery (by losing both play-in games), they have a 0.7% chance of jumping to 4th overall. And ... that's still our pick. 4th overall!

BTW, now in 7th, Raptors have a 31.9% chance of getting into the top 4.

I wonder if Masai didn't bother negotiating for it given the small odds, or that he was not able to
TimeForChange
Sixth Man
And1: 1,405

Post#1744 » by TimeForChange » Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:31 pm

Read on Twitter
Bruin
RealGM
And1: 38,639

Post#1745 » by Bruin » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:36 pm

Masai had one job and instead he went and traded a lightly protected FRP for Poeltl.

Read on Twitter
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 37,442

Post#1746 » by Tor_Raps » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:38 pm

Bruin wrote:Masai had one job and instead he went and traded a lightly protected FRP for Poeltl.

Read on Twitter

Somewhere Gasol and Ibaka are shedding a tear lol.

And ya, Masai's roster constructing skills have been an absolute joke since 2020. Truly hope he goes back to what made him successful originally.
tdotrep2
RealGM
And1: 25,394

Post#1747 » by tdotrep2 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:39 pm

Bruin wrote:Masai had one job and instead he went and traded a lightly protected FRP for Poeltl.

Read on Twitter

WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,497

Post#1748 » by WuTang_OG » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:40 pm

Read on Twitter

I found that they werent as tight this time around
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,505

Post#1749 » by Brinbe » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:09 pm

Read on Twitter

lol yep. turner was the guy we've been talking up for about three years now. two firsts would've easily been worth it.

but what's done is done there.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,097

Post#1750 » by ItsDanger » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:14 pm

https://www.si.com/nba/raptors/news/toronto-raptors-myles-turner-indiana-pacers-asking-price-trade-deadline

Jan 2022 before trading 1sts in subsequent years. "Indiana is reportedly asking for two first-round picks for their 6-foot-11 big man, according to HoopsHype's Michael Scotto. It's a steep asking price for Turner and one the Raptors are unlikely to pay.

Masai Ujiri has never parted with multiple first-round picks in a trade dating back to his days as the general manager for the Denver Nuggets."
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,841

Post#1751 » by Johnny Bball » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:22 pm

So now the raptors should have traded two firsts and kept Siakam!!!!! Lolololol.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 37,442

Post#1752 » by Tor_Raps » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:22 pm

Brinbe wrote:

Read on Twitter

lol yep. turner was the guy we've been talking up for about three years now. two firsts would've easily been worth it.

but what's done is done there.

Dude, Pacers were desperately trying to trade Turner for a single 1st round pick for MULTIPLE years before they ended up trading Sabonis.

Our dumbass management were so stuck on 6'9 PFs. Just complete idiocy in roster construction from 2020 onwards.
Son Goku 25
RealGM
And1: 40,592

Post#1753 » by Son Goku 25 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:27 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:

Read on Twitter

Somewhere Gasol and Ibaka are shedding a tear lol.

And ya, Masai's roster constructing skills have been an absolute joke since 2020. Truly hope he goes back to what made him successful originally.

They're probably laughing at his ass tbh, Gasol way better than Turner will ever be and Ibaka on our team was arguably as good as Turner when needed and tougher.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,870

Post#1754 » by Duffman100 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:29 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:So now the rators should have traded two first and kepy Sikam!!!!! Lolololol.

No they should have tanked? But we're tanking now. But that isn't good enough...
Yeezus_
RealGM
And1: 13,741

Post#1755 » by Yeezus_ » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:30 pm

No one knows if Turner was actually on the table in years past. If it doesn't come from a credible source, it's probably not true. Even if it does come from a credible source, who knows how many picks they actually wanted. I highly doubt they were trying to just "dump" Turner because Sabonis was on the team.
Yeezy SZN approaching
Son Goku 25
RealGM
And1: 40,592

Post#1756 » by Son Goku 25 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:30 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:

Read on Twitter

I found that they werent as tight this time around

This is why you don't cater to your players unless they are a legit superstar. You don't bring family or friends on teams just cuz, it doesn't work like that. I'm sure Lowry can agree with that.

I remember when we brought Jarrett Jack for Bosh :lol:

My rules would be to always go for the best talent possible unless your team is already extremely talented and just require a need

And

In this NBA world it should always be business over feelings
dozo
Senior
And1: 299

Post#1757 » by dozo » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:45 pm

My take away from the quote is PS trying to be a leader.

Its to motivate Turner his new teammate (building chemistry).

He also played along side JV, Gasol and Baynes.

It was nice to see PS put up Triple Double.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,172

Post#1758 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:48 pm

Read on Twitter

more than half of this forum knew this ****.

masai being **** (Please Use More Appropriate Word)
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,219

Post#1759 » by Dalek » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:49 pm

Yeezus_ wrote:No one knows if Turner was actually on the table in years past. If it doesn't come from a credible source, it's probably not true. Even if it does come from a credible source, who knows how many picks they actually wanted. I highly doubt they were trying to just "dump" Turner because Sabonis was on the team.

If Turner was ever going to Toronto then OG or Siakam would be the return Indy expected. It just would never happen with Masai until this year when hope was lost.

For what it's worth, Turner is a mediocre player. He usually gets eaten alive by star bigs like Embiid and Jokic. He has only looked really good this year and even then I don't know if he is a playoff star.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,172

Post#1760 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:52 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:So now the raptors should have traded two firsts and kept Siakam!!!!! Lolololol.

it was either that way or the current way.

everyone knew a 3+D center was the key to the operation - it would have worked with FVV and Siakam as well. and Scottie and Siakam. Poeltl helped a little on defense but offensively, this team had shooting and spacing issues.

Masai kinda went all in but not really. so he kinda **** it up for himself for being a cheap ass with the draft picks.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.

Return to Toronto Raptors