ImageImageImageImageImage

Pacers Pick Tracking (Update: #19 officially)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,849

Re: Pacers Pick Tracking 

Post#1481 » by Zeno » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:22 pm

Not related to the Pacers pick but have people noticed how many time Bruce Brown’s name has come up whenever anyone doubts Denver’s chances this year on podcasts? I am starting to think we need to be rooting against the Nuggets to increase the legend and trade value of Bruce Brown. His brand still will keep that winning glow as long as the Nuggets fall short… it doesn’t seem to matter that he’s sucked all year.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 37,536

Post#1482 » by Tor_Raps » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:31 pm

Zeno wrote:Not related to the Pacers pick but have people noticed how many time Bruce Brown’s name has come up whenever anyone doubts Denver’s chances this year on podcasts? I am starting to think we need to be rooting against the Nuggets to increase the legend and trade value of Bruce Brown. His brand still will keep that winning glow as long as the Nuggets fall short… it doesn’t seem to matter that he’s sucked all year.

People in the league aren't stupid (well most of them)... they don't judge Brown based on how he performed with the crappy Raptors. He's already proven to be a super important 6th man on a championship team.

Some players perform better with better talent around them like him, Draymond, etc. He definitely has value around the league, which is why I find it laughable some think that we'll simply decline his option.
navyblue
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,612

Post#1483 » by navyblue » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:45 pm

ArthurVandelay wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:Need PELS win

I'm conflicted.

Part of me wants them to lose so it helps the Raptors pick. The other part of me wants to see the franchise make drastic changes and decisions. I love the transaction side of the game almost as much as the game itself.

how does the pelicans win/loss affects the raptors pick?
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,525

Post#1484 » by WuTang_OG » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:47 pm

navyblue wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:

I'm conflicted.

Part of me wants them to lose so it helps the Raptors pick. The other part of me wants to see the franchise make drastic changes and decisions. I love the transaction side of the game almost as much as the game itself.

Better record than indy
So if they lose and dont make playoffs they are in lottery
Pushes indiana one spot up
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,190

Post#1485 » by YogurtProducer » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:49 pm

brownbobcat wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:
brownbobcat wrote:Here we go again with the excuses.

Thad didn't cost a FRP.
And if it did, it wasn't that bad.
And if it was, that's not a big deal.
And if it is, that's not Masai's fault.
And if it was, he didn't mean it.

The great thing for Masai defenders is they can't be proven wrong now. That's veteran mentor effect can't be measured, and we'll never know how good Koloko would have become.

The speed it goes from "give it time!" to "get over it!" is like watching Usain Bolt.

I mean the entire point of his post was that we likely would have taken Koloko anyways. So if that is true he would have gotten sick or whatever anyways.

At the end of the day - it is just a dumb thing to complain about still.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
KawhiSoSerious
Junior
And1: 504

Post#1486 » by KawhiSoSerious » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:11 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
navyblue wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:
I'm conflicted.

Better record than indy

Or one spot down, depending on how you look at it. Kinda like a “negative” medical test result being good. Or a golf score.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,773

Post#1487 » by ArthurVandelay » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:21 pm

navyblue wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:

I'm conflicted.

If Pelicans lose then the Raptors move down one position (17-20 vs 16-19).

But it also means big changes likely coming in NO.

Flip side, if Kings lose (Pels win), they are likely to do something too.

In the end it’s a win-win…I just like wild off-season transactions.
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#1488 » by WuTang_OG » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:35 pm

KawhiSoSerious wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
navyblue wrote: how does the pelicans win/loss affects the raptors pick?

Better record than indy

Or one spot down, depending on how you look at it. Kinda like a “negative” medical test result being good. Or a golf score.

Here

One spot later
Hansari
Rookie
And1: 1,157

Post#1489 » by Hansari » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:41 pm

Need that Pelican win tonight
pilkoids
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,330

Post#1490 » by pilkoids » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:42 pm

Hansari wrote:Need that Pelican win tonight

Zion is out
CazOnReal
Senior
And1: 450

Post#1491 » by CazOnReal » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:18 pm

Los_29 wrote:
CazOnReal wrote:The thing about Kessler "missing out" on him is that if we did draft Walker then it makes it much less likely we trade for Poeltl and thus we have...
-Our 2023 2nd, to either use or trade
-Our 2025 2nd, to either use or trade
-Pick control and not having to worry about this year's pick conveying or being kept and how that will affect our flexibility regarding draft capital going forward

Obviously, no one could have seen Koloko getting blood clots but I do think that, ceiling aside, Kessler would have gotten more immediate play and thus impact on the team than Christian did due to him being a capable paint presence. If Koloko does get back in to the NBA then this obviously changes.

I do wonder what kind of system this team would run with Kessler though. Makes me think they had a plan to add passing big man like KO and Yak. Kessler is a great rim protector but is quite limited offensively. He can’t pass, can’t dribble and can’t shoot. I think this is the reason why his minutes didn’t increase at all and he arguably regressed from last year. He didn’t make any improvements in his game.

I don't really think that was intended, at least under Nick Nurse's offensive system. People can point to Gasol as to what he was trying to do with Jakob in the 2nd half of the 2022/23 season but when it comes to the big man that Nick Nurse used(Ibaka, Birch, Baynes, Koloko, etc.), Marc was the exception as far passing capabilities go unless you want to count when Scottie would play the 5 as point center-esque. Let's not forget that the Raptors drafted Koloko who, for all his strengths, wasn't exactly a great passer nor playmaker.

Jakob's a good passer for a big man but I don't think him being chosen was anything more than a decision to maintain long-term strength for negotiation of any trades for their players i.e. Siakam and O.G. By all accounts, the Raptors were listening to offers at last year's deadline but the line they drew in the sand (again, allegedly) showed they were not serious about selling said players, hence picking up Jakob.

For what he brings to the team, Poeltl was a good pickup...in a vacuum. The problems have been noted to death but context is key and needs to be repeated: Weak protections when you were already 7th in that year's lottery in conjunction with adding another UFA when you had multiple key free agent decisions to make (Let's not forget that Trent & Fred had player options, the former of whom was a surprise to see pick up theirs) only served to dilute that year's pick, be it as an asset to trade or to use in drafting a running mate for Barnes, and simultaneously make it more difficult to build around Scottie - or make an all-in move for that matter - when you're locked in to only being able to make a trade involving picks from 2028 and beyond. This front office wasn't afraid to make a trade with their picks to build that championship roster and they did so for Lowry and Ibaka, not to mention Kawhi.

I'm still pro-keep this year's pick since I think we'll be better next year i.e. we'll be in the play-in barring health, thus giving up a weaker pick in a draft that is currently seen as top heavy...and if we're not then we sure hell should be hoping for more lottery luck because we'll need all the help we can get, but the Jakob Poeltl trade was the wrong move at the wrong time.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,707

Post#1492 » by Pointgod » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:29 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:
Zeno wrote:Not related to the Pacers pick but have people noticed how many time Bruce Brown’s name has come up whenever anyone doubts Denver’s chances this year on podcasts? I am starting to think we need to be rooting against the Nuggets to increase the legend and trade value of Bruce Brown. His brand still will keep that winning glow as long as the Nuggets fall short… it doesn’t seem to matter that he’s sucked all year.

People in the league aren't stupid (well most of them)... they don't judge Brown based on how he performed with the crappy Raptors. He's already proven to be a super important 6th man on a championship team.

He has definitely has value around the league, which is why I find it laughable some think that we'll simply decline his option. Some players perform better with better talent around them like him, Draymond, etc.

On the other hand teams might see him as purely a system player since he was meh in Indiana and got awful in Toronto (I don’t think he wanted to be here). They might see it as the Jokic effect similar to how players look like **** when they leave Miami.

We missed the chance to get a first for him at the deadline. I’d be surprised if we get anything more than a couple of seconds if we trade him at all.
CazOnReal
Senior
And1: 450

Post#1493 » by CazOnReal » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:07 am

Setting aside whether Bruce's injury claim is real (I can believe it given how bad he was and how he did start to play better when he did get a few games of rest/ruling out due to injury) Brown has value as either salary relief or as a roleplayer, and you can probably get some form of draft capital for either. The main issue is salary matching for the latter when one looks at the obvious candidates i.e. Nuggets have no easy filler to move for his salary unless you tamper (agree to sign and trade him back to Denver for X or Y), Hunter's contract is quickly becoming a bottom 5 in the league that simply isn't worth taking on for, say, the Kings first, etc.

The only team I could maybe see is the Jazz doing a salary relief trade with one of the Cavs/Wolves 2025 firsts and John Collins with some manner of moderate protection (Lottery protected, Top 16-20). Probably the Wolves if I had to take a guess too, and I stand by my theory that the Ochai/Kelly trade was originally centered around Bruce Brown before they pivoted to OPJ, the worst 2024 1st and Lewis Jr. as filler.
youngRAPZ
Senior
And1: 456

Post#1494 » by youngRAPZ » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:28 am

YogurtProducer wrote:
brownbobcat wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:
The great thing for Masai defenders is they can't be proven wrong now. That's veteran mentor effect can't be measured, and we'll never know how good Koloko would have become.

The speed it goes from "give it time!" to "get over it!" is like watching Usain Bolt.

I mean the entire point of his post was that we likely would have taken Koloko anyways. So if that is true he would have gotten sick or whatever anyways.

At the end of the day - it is just a dumb thing to complain about still.

Exactly my point.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,778

Post#1495 » by WaltFrazier » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:29 am

WuTang_OG wrote:
KawhiSoSerious wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:Better record than indy

Here

One spot later

That should be the standard way to refer to it. No confusion
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,118

Post#1496 » by tecumseh18 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:19 am

tecumseh18 wrote:We need Pels to win tonight. It's time for BI to have the game of his career. JV with the bounceback game against Sabonis.

So far, I was half right. Fortunately, the fun half.

What would JV cost this summer?
SpezNc
Pro Prospect
And1: 544

Post#1497 » by SpezNc » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:47 am

20 pts lead by NOP. 97 to 77. A bit more than half a quarter left

So far so good

The game it’s not done yet but hopefully, if things stand, we will be able to avoid the possibility of worse case scenario #20.

Update : Sacramento pushes at the end but NOP prevails.
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#1498 » by WuTang_OG » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:07 am

ok thank you pelicans
we await for draw
SpezNc
Pro Prospect
And1: 544

Post#1499 » by SpezNc » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:09 am