ImageImageImageImageImage

Former Raptor discussion thread 3.0

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,575

Re: Former Raptor discussion thread 3.0 

Post#381 » by DreamTeam09 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:24 am

Chandan wrote:lol after winning 11 straight houston completely reversed and lost 5 straight and are now likely out of the playin race.
Fred shot 31% from three over that stretch.

They were eliminated after the Dallas game

In Raptor Ball I Trust
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,697

Post#382 » by WaltFrazier » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:04 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
raptorforlife88
Veteran
And1: 945

Post#383 » by raptorforlife88 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:51 pm

Basketball_Jones wrote:
raptorforlife88 wrote:
Basketball_Jones wrote:Interesting seeing guys like Banton, Flynn, Precious who were all dead weight with us do something after leaving. Perhaps our management isn’t cooked at all and can certainly let spot talent. Flynn is still pretty meh to me despite going for 50. Precious I think has now at least proven he’s not useless and can be in rotation. Banton we’ll have to wait and see but there’s a path there to be a sixth man guy.

Precious has 2 points total in his last four games combined. Averaging 0.5 PPG.

If we extend it to ten games he's averaging 5ppg.

Hes the same as he was in Toronto. Capable of putting together some great stretches but over the course of the season being really inconsistent.

He proved just as much that he wasn't useless in Toronto as he has in NY.

Is he not really playing though because Mitchell is back? I haven’t really looked lately but it wouldn’t surprise me he fell out of rotation now that they have centers

Even in the games he did play it doesn't seem like he did much.

Also it's not as if he doesn't play PF as well, and instead of playing him a single minute Josh Hart played 46 minutes.

I think the much simpler explanation than Precious figured out how to be an effective bench player is, Precious continues to be inconsistent as he has for years showing flashes if good performances followed by not much at all.

Randle is out for the year. There's minutes out there if he was playing as they wanted him to.
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#384 » by WaltFrazier » Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:14 am

Read on Twitter

Only +20 tonight, sat the 4th as did Brunson
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,106

Post#385 » by tecumseh18 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:47 am

It's ... sad.
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#386 » by WaltFrazier » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:01 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:

It's ... sad.

What a great breakdown. I liked how the video showed several plays where Giannis usually scores easily, and with OG "doesn't even try" as the narrator puts it. Beyond elite defense. Terms like role player, 3andD can't begin to describe the impact of OG . Only 4 points in that Bucks game, 24 against Bulls next then 12 last night in a blowout of Boston who played all their guys before sitting them in the 4th. But his defensive impact of taking the best player and limiting him, or often multiple players, has immeasurable impact far beyond steals and blocks.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,867

Post#387 » by Duffman100 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:54 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:

It's ... sad.

What we were saying for years and nobody listened to us.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,176

Post#388 » by YogurtProducer » Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:37 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

lol this reminds me of when Toronto got Tucker and Ibaka and Raptors fans (like me) were convinced we were set now.

OG is great, but not that great
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#389 » by WaltFrazier » Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:23 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

lol this reminds me of when Toronto got Tucker and Ibaka and Raptors fans (like me) were convinced we were set now.

OG is a level or more above Tucker and Serge. Their team will miss their #2 scorer Randle in playoffs so we'll see how it plays out. With Randle, or by adding the right guy next year, I think they could be a clear 2nd in the East and give Boston a good run in the ECF.
YogurtProducer
RealGM

Post#390 » by YogurtProducer » Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:27 am

WaltFrazier wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

OG is a level or more above Tucker and Serge. Their team will miss their #2 scorer Randle in playoffs so we'll see how it plays out. With Randle, or by adding the right guy next year, I think they could be a clear 2nd in the East and give Boston a good run in the ECF.

Serge was a 1st team all-defence and top 5 DPOTY voting center who was also one of the few true stretch bigs in the league.

He was far from a tier below OG. I would argue both were similar.

Ibaka ended up being a 15/8 27mpg guy on a championship team who brought great defense and immense leadership. Easily on OG's level.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#391 » by WaltFrazier » Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:34 am

YogurtProducer wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:lol this reminds me of when Toronto got Tucker and Ibaka and Raptors fans (like me) were convinced we were set now.

Serge was a 1st team all-defence and top 5 DPOTY voting center who was also one of the few true stretch bigs in the league.

Ibaka ended up being a 15/8 27mpg guy on a championship team who brought great defense and immense leadership. Easily on OG's level.

What about scarves?

I don't think Serge ever gave the Raps the boost OG gave the Knicks in January. I loved Serge though. But OG is playing prime Kawhi type defense, which I rank higher than Serge's D.
Los_29
RealGM
And1: 11,830

Post#392 » by Los_29 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:46 am

YogurtProducer wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:lol this reminds me of when Toronto got Tucker and Ibaka and Raptors fans (like me) were convinced we were set now.

Ibaka’s peak was higher but I’d say the Ibaka we had was probably a level below OG.
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#393 » by WaltFrazier » Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:01 am

Los_29 wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:

Ibaka’s peak was higher but I’d say the Ibaka we had was probably a level below OG.

I don't remember Serge guarding anyone from Donovan Mitchell to Butler, Tatum, Giannis.

Great player though, key part of the championship team for sure
YogurtProducer
RealGM

Post#394 » by YogurtProducer » Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:06 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:
Los_29 wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:Serge was a 1st team all-defence and top 5 DPOTY voting center who was also one of the few true stretch bigs in the league.

I don't remember Serge guarding anyone from Donovan Mitchell to Butler, Tatum, Giannis.

Great player though, key part of the championship team for sure

I don't remember OG being able to protect the paint like Serge either, nor do I recall OG having the offensive game Ibaka did.

To me it is pretty crazy to try and act like OG is levels ahead of Ibaka. Neither can change the fortunes of a team by themselves, and both were/are at their best as complimentary pieces beside better (offensive) players.
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#395 » by WaltFrazier » Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:37 pm

Nice article about Banton. Billups, Ayton very complimentary. Apparently played himself into the mix for the Olympic team, according to this author anyway.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/raptors/hes-a-real-player-former-raptors-guard-dalano-banton-making-the-most-of-opportunity-with/article_76c81dca-f8ae-11ee-babb-e77acaf141d0.html
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#396 » by WaltFrazier » Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:04 pm

Svi 26 vs Wiz
mieshpal
Veteran
And1: 2,006

Post#397 » by mieshpal » Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:37 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:

I would take prime Ibaka over OG. He played in many more big moments than OG has

Sent from my Pixel 8 using RealGM mobile app
TheRaptor!
General Manager
And1: 5,552

Post#398 » by TheRaptor! » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:07 am

mieshpal wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:

I would take prime Ibaka over OG. He played in many more big moments than OG has

Sent from my Pixel 8 using RealGM mobile app

Ibaka's offence more than makes up for OG's slightly superior defence.

In the playoffs, all the refs gotta do is call a ticky tack foul or 2 to take OG out of the game and its over for the knicks, we all know the NBA controls game outcomes.
aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,459

Post#399 » by aminiaturebuddha » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:05 pm

It was fun to see Lowry cross 7000 assists for his career on the last day of the season, something only 20 other players have done in the history of the NBA.

He's also over 16,000 points and only 106 rebounds away from 5000. So if he comes back next year and gets the rebounding milestone, he'll become one of only 10 people to ever reach those milestones (actually, you could lower it to 15,5,7 and the list would be the same). Pretty good company for the GROAT.
YogurtProducer
RealGM

Post#400 » by YogurtProducer » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:16 pm

Wish we could bump the Siakam historically bad shooting thread. ITT I was told that Barnes at 40% was sustainable and Siakam at 22% or whatever it was is totally indicative of his poor shooting.. well...

Siakam 34.6%
Barnes 34.1%

A lesson in not overreacting to 20 games.

Return to Toronto Raptors