ImageImageImageImageImage

Former Raptor discussion thread 3.0

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,649

Re: Former Raptor discussion thread 3.0 

Post#261 » by WaltFrazier » Sat Mar 9, 2024 1:10 am

ontnut wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:Precious showing some offense last game

Read on Twitter

This has pretty much always been Precious though, no? When he's not lazily shooting 3's, he's forcing stuff at the rim. Before he was just missing those easy shots at the rim.

So making them is an improvement over missing. I couldn't see the game but I read Knicks board fans were upset at Thibs not putting him back in after he played very well, and the game slipped away late
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#262 » by WaltFrazier » Sat Mar 9, 2024 1:51 am

WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#263 » by WaltFrazier » Sat Mar 9, 2024 3:16 am

Funny, on the Knicks board they talk about Precious' Bronx background a lot. In Toronto I only ever heard of him as one of Masai's African proteges.

Read on Twitter

Precious the New Yorker:

Read on Twitter
Agimat
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,896

Post#264 » by Agimat » Sat Mar 9, 2024 3:41 am

WaltFrazier wrote:Funny, on the Knicks board they talk about Precious' Bronx background a lot. In Toronto I only ever heard of him as one of Masai's African proteges.

Read on Twitter

Precious the New Yorker:

Read on Twitter

Beast stat line good for him thriving in NY
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#265 » by WaltFrazier » Sat Mar 9, 2024 3:52 am

Agimat wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:Funny, on the Knicks board they talk about Precious' Bronx background a lot. In Toronto I only ever heard of him as one of Masai's African proteges.

Read on Twitter

Precious the New Yorker:

Read on Twitter

Beast stat line good for him thriving in NY

Since I know everyone here loves Precious highlights, this clip is longer and shows a few of his five blocks, two on Banchero

Read on Twitter
PushDaRock
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,372

Post#266 » by PushDaRock » Sat Mar 9, 2024 4:00 am

WaltFrazier wrote:Nick speaking highly of Jeff Dowtin call up.

https://www.si.com/nba/76ers/news/nick-nurse-talks-potential-impact-new-76ers-addition

Nurse really liked McCaw and played him a lot of minutes while he was here even without much production. Dowtin is potentially a better version of that so it's no surprise Nurse really likes him as well. It's still confusing that we picked Malachi over him. We could certainly use a defender that can stay in front of people right now.
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#267 » by WaltFrazier » Sat Mar 9, 2024 4:24 am

PushDaRock wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:Nick speaking highly of Jeff Dowtin call up.

https://www.si.com/nba/76ers/news/nick-nurse-talks-potential-impact-new-76ers-addition

Nurse really liked McCaw and played him a lot of minutes while he was here even without much production. Dowtin is potentially a better version of that so it's no surprise Nurse really likes him as well. It's still confusing that we picked Malachi over him. We could certainly use a defender that can stay in front of people right now.

I think looking back to training camp, Dowtin was not 100 % following summer surgery. But yeah under different circumstances he'd be a good backup PG to IQ. Masai seems to like leaving the team with only one PG. Fred, the Dennis, and as soon as IQ arrives Dennis is gone, without getting IQ a veteran backup
PushDaRock
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,372

Post#268 » by PushDaRock » Sat Mar 9, 2024 5:22 am

Banton scored 30 tonight but really unloaded the clip taking 27 shots to do it, don't think I ever could have ever envisioned him taking that many shots in an NBA game.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,889

Post#269 » by OAKLEY_2 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:26 pm

Question: could Darko have actually helped DeAndre Bembry's career say vs. 8 man rotation Coach Nurse? Nurse flushed RHJ, Bembry, Matt Thomas, and countless others down the crapper. Bembry looked like a serviceable player perhaps end of bench rotation.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,166

Post#270 » by YogurtProducer » Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:34 pm

OAKLEY_2 wrote:Question: could Darko have actually helped DeAndre Bembry's career say vs. 8 man rotation Coach Nurse? Nurse flushed RHJ, Bembry, Matt Thomas, and countless others down the crapper. Bembry looked like a serviceable player perhaps end of bench rotation.

Wait you are trying to blame Nurse that 3 players who were not NBA calibre players did not become one?

There is a reason why those guys are all out of the league.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#271 » by WaltFrazier » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:06 pm

OAKLEY_2 wrote:Question: could Darko have actually helped DeAndre Bembry's career say vs. 8 man rotation Coach Nurse? Nurse flushed RHJ, Bembry, Matt Thomas, and countless others down the crapper. Bembry looked like a serviceable player perhaps end of bench rotation.

Of all the failed to mediocre signings/acquisitions since 2020 I thought Bembry had the most potential , as like an 8-9th man as you said. He was doing ok with Brooklyn the next year but got squeezed out by the Simmons trade (or was it Harden coming). Went to the Bucks, hurt his knee right away and never played again. because of the injury, we'll never know.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,101

Post#272 » by tecumseh18 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:44 am

WaltFrazier wrote:

Of all the failed to mediocre signings/acquisitions since 2020 I thought Bembry had the most potential , as like an 8-9th man as you said. He was doing ok with Brooklyn the next year but got squeezed out by the Simmons trade (or was it Harden coming). Went to the Bucks, hurt his knee right away and never played again. because of the injury, we'll never know.

Bembry drove me crazy the way he would foul 50-60 feet from the basket when we were in the penalty. It was comical how often it happened. Just like I remember Psycho-T getting us into the penalty within a few minutes of appearing on the court. You can't win with those players, unless they can shoot consistently. Which obviously Bembry could not. He was like a second half Bruce Brown (last night) out there, all the time.

Matt Thomas was too short and slight to get open, once teams realized they had to cover him. JJ Redick had a bit more girth, and was willing to take a shot when guarded. Matt simply refused to shoot if a defender was within five feet of him.

RHJ had a likeable personality. But ultimately not a shooter, not big enough to be a big (except for that one game against the T-Wolves) or small enough to guard guards. When there's a ton of college and European and Aussie league talent coming into the league every year, guys like Rondae - or Bembry or Matt 100% Thomas - can't stick.

The guy I really liked and can't believe couldn't find a spot in the league was Stanley Johnson. Which brings up an interesting point. How many Jose Bautistas are there in basketball? How many guys are there who start their careers as replacement level drones, but then catch fire after three or so years and become huge stars? In a way Pascal was like that, but it was clear by his second year (the Bench Mob days) that he was something special. Jimmy Butler was drafted 30th, had a good reputation as a defender, then at some point took over. Kawhi won FMVP in his third season. Another guy taken in the middle of the first round, Giannis, was evidently something special earlier in his career. And I remember watching Gobert and Jokic in their first years and being amazed at how good they were. Sure they were drafted after #20, but it didn't take long to establish themselves.
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#273 » by WaltFrazier » Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:21 am

OG +28 tonight.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
dTox
RealGM
And1: 15,600

Post#274 » by dTox » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:58 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=puvtBUXNMgUokr0kTfx_cQ&s=19

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
TBZ for the win
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,101

Post#275 » by tecumseh18 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:37 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Hey, I just had an idea. Since this switchable flexibility at the 2/3/4 seems to be such a winner for the Knicks, let's draft and horde a bunch of lengthy two way players. Assuming they're all talented - i.e. all-star, all-NBA, DPOY-caliber players, with a brilliant coach - what could go wrong? We'd be in the Finals every season.
d00lttle
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,349

Post#276 » by d00lttle » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:45 pm

JJ talks about Nurse's defensive schemes and the Raptors defensive abilities in the 2019 playoffs (@38:20).

"Toronto was probably the best team in terms of scrambling ang getting in rotation. That year they were insane"

mdenny
Head Coach
And1: 6,579

Post#277 » by mdenny » Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:08 am

WaltFrazier wrote:OG +28 tonight.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Plus 28 on THAT scoreline?

Man....where were you when Fred was ACTUALLY winning the plus/minus stat relative to his team's outcome?

Oh yah you were hating because you were scared of getting bullied by the toxic raptor fans yah?

Gassed up to such a degree that YOU become the bully? At your age?
Tripod
Head Coach
And1: 6,291

Post#278 » by Tripod » Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:38 am

Siakam only getting 12 shots in a game that goes to OT, is crazy.

Same amount of shots as Nesmith and Nembhard anc only 1 more than McConnell

And was efficient 8-12 17-9-3-2-2

Meanwhile in the same game, Demar drops 46 on 24 shots....and gets 17 FTA. Must be nice to have sineone who gets that many calls.
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#279 » by WaltFrazier » Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:20 pm

mdenny wrote:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Man....where were you when Fred was ACTUALLY winning the plus/minus stat relative to his team's outcome?

Oh yah you were hating because you were scared of getting bullied by the toxic raptor fans yah?

Not sure who I'm bullying by posting tweets about OG.

My opinions on Fred were my own, not impacted by the irrational Fred defenders or the irrational Fred "haters". I don't see Houston that often but my impression has been amended to thinking he was really affected by injury last year, and this year seems much healthier. So he's moving better. Rockets still not a winning team but good for Fred, playing better and making the big money.
JPriest
Senior
And1: 843

Post#280 » by JPriest » Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:28 pm

mdenny wrote:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

holy smokes. looking at the totality of what OG has done for the Knicks and it's clear he's been nothing but incredible and you focus on only one game where he still posted an incredible +/-? and then you bring up Fred Van Vleet out of nowhere due to spite when it's obvious OG's impact>>>>>>FVV's?

Return to Toronto Raptors