ImageImageImageImageImage

Official NBA General Discussion 2023-24 V2.0

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

mdenny
Head Coach
And1: 6,596

Re: Official NBA General Discussion 2023-24 V2.0 

Post#1101 » by mdenny » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:14 am

"Get your bag culture" = maximizing one's career earnings.

This is the primary motivation for everyone. Not just basketball players. Criticizing players for 'trying to earn alot of money' is crazy.
bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,512

Post#1102 » by bballsparkin » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:10 am

Rough start for JV in the 3rd quarter.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,778

Post#1103 » by ArthurVandelay » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:13 pm

mdenny wrote:"Get your bag culture" = maximizing one's career earnings.

This is the primary motivation for everyone. Not just basketball players. Criticizing players for 'trying to earn alot of money' is crazy.

I don't think anyone is criticizing players for trying to earn a lot of money. No one here has said that.

The issue is how players go about trying to earn a lot of money.

If the player's focus is on getting your touches or their role, AT THE EXPENSE OF TEAM SUCCESS, then there is the problem.

I believe that was the issue last year. Guys were worried about stats rather than team success. When stats becomes the primary motivational driver for getting the bag, your team culture is effed.
Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 38,405

Post#1104 » by Mikistan » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:55 pm

ArthurVandelay wrote:

I don't think anyone is criticizing players for trying to earn a lot of money. No one here has said that.

If the player's focus is on getting your touches or their role, AT THE EXPENSE OF TEAM SUCCESS, then there is the problem.

I believe that was the issue last year. Guys were worried about stats rather than team success. When stats becomes the primary motivational driver for getting the bag, your team culture is effed.

Bet on yourself culture, gm talks about selfishness, team goes from one of the least assists per game to one of the most over 1 season, but we cant blame them!
douggood
General Manager
And1: 5,333

Post#1105 » by douggood » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:41 pm

530 et start time for bucks/pacers game 3
Merit
Head Coach
And1: 2,907

Post#1106 » by Merit » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:58 pm

MiamiSPX wrote:
Merit wrote:
MiamiSPX wrote:
I said the same a few weeks ago. It's an extremely short list of teams that have won whose best player is an undersized guard. And the ones that did were generational talents, no doubt about it Hall of Famers. One of the refs in Game 1 was bigger than Brunson. Not bashing him at all, the guy is a bulldog and full credit to him for what he has become. But unfortunately, that unchangeable limitation is a thing.

They have the role player pieces who play huge and have the clutch gene. Josh Hart, OG, Donte. They’re hardcore. The pistons comparison is apt. They’re arguably better with Randle missing since they don’t have a poor defender who can be attacked, Brunson’s size differential aside. Thibs knows what he’s doing and he finally has decent personnel. OG is huge for them.

The Pistons comparison is what fans invoke to try and convince themselves their team can win without a top 10 player. We did the same many years ago when we had DD/Kyle leading us. They are the exception to the rule and of course it will eventually happen again but it won't be a team whose best player is a tiny guard. Not only did the rest of the last 30 title winners have a top 10 player at that time, almost all of them had a player (or 2-3) that are arguably among the top 100 players of all time.

We should also note that those Pistons did have 2 guys who ended up in the Hall of Fame (and I will insist Rasheed was better than both of them and would have been a HoFer if not for being a hothead, and pothead). These Knicks do not have anyone that will be in the Hall of Fame.

Having said all that, I don't dispute the rest of your post. Hart and Donte are absolute dogs, and I don't mind their swagger because they get after it at both ends. OG is OG, the only reason I think his contract will be brutal is because of how injury prone he is. And I also agree that they are better off without Randle. We've seen how embarrassingly bad he can be in the playoffs and right now he would be trying to do too much while Brunson is struggling.

Yeah I was thinking earlier pistons - bad boy pistons with Isaiah (Kyle/Brunson sized) Now of course they don’t have Dumars and Laimbeer etc. but they are defensive minded, have balanced scoring, two solid bigs and decent wing depth. Their ability to guard is what makes me believe in them. OG was a huge addition to their team.

The bad boy pistons were before my era of ball so maybe some of the posters with deeper knowledge can elaborate better than I can.

Agreed that Rasheed is deserving of being in the hall, but I’m not sure Ben Wallace would see much of the floor in this era. He’s like Bam without a shot. I think the storyline is what appeals to me the most, especially since the Knicks are the underdog. Also want to take a minute and shout you out for coming with facts and analysis. These types of conversations add value to the board. Cheers.
I believe in Masai.
Merit
Head Coach

Post#1107 » by Merit » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:01 pm

Mikistan wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:

Bet on yourself culture, gm talks about selfishness, team goes from one of the least assists per game to one of the most over 1 season, but we cant blame them!

Oh you can definitely blame Fred. I also think we needed a backup PG - or at least one more guard - and a backup big FAR sooner. My hypothesis is that would’ve both increased winning and reduced Fred’s ability to force the issue because there would’ve been at least a palatable alternative to him. Scottie at PG and operation 69 was a worthy idea but a failed experiment thus far.
I believe in Masai.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,553

Post#1108 » by Dr Positivity » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:19 pm

PhilBlackson wrote:This is why no one outside of Boston believes in Boston winning it all or believed that Tatum was a real MVP candidate.

They just don't perform in close games and for how talented Tatum is, he's just not THAT guy. I just don't see the killer in him like MJ, Kobe, KD and all the superstar level wings.

He is to a guy like Kawhi as Ewing is to Hakeem, just not quite the same level.

I do think though that "tier 1.5" stars hit the under in ring count since Isiah (yes he was in that category) possibly due to chance. Ewing could have won if Starks was clutch. Payton or Drexler could have won if they made the finals in the right year. Webber Kings got screwed. Etc. The Celtics can still win based on superb depth around a tier 1.5 star.
Merit
Head Coach

Post#1109 » by Merit » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:29 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:
MiamiSPX wrote:
Merit wrote:
They have the role player pieces who play huge and have the clutch gene. Josh Hart, OG, Donte. They’re hardcore. The pistons comparison is apt. They’re arguably better with Randle missing since they don’t have a poor defender who can be attacked, Brunson’s size differential aside. Thibs knows what he’s doing and he finally has decent personnel. OG is huge for them.

The Pistons comparison is what fans invoke to try and convince themselves their team can win without a top 10 player. We did the same many years ago when we had DD/Kyle leading us. They are the exception to the rule and of course it will eventually happen again but it won't be a team whose best player is a tiny guard. Not only did the rest of the last 30 title winners have a top 10 player at that time, almost all of them had a player (or 2-3) that are arguably among the top 100 players of all time.

We should also note that those Pistons did have 2 guys who ended up in the Hall of Fame (and I will insist Rasheed was better than both of them and would have been a HoFer if not for being a hothead, and pothead). These Knicks do not have anyone that will be in the Hall of Fame.

Having said all that, I don't dispute the rest of your post. Hart and Donte are absolute dogs, and I don't mind their swagger because they get after it at both ends. OG is OG, the only reason I think his contract will be brutal is because of how injury prone he is. And I also agree that they are better off without Randle. We've seen how embarrassingly bad he can be in the playoffs and right now he would be trying to do too much while Brunson is struggling.

Knicks board has some talk of Randle for Kat. Others say add Donovan Mitchell somehow. I've no idea but it seems they have the picks and assets to sign a scorer this summer as well as re-sign OG. Lots of variables of course like most teams. But I think they're in one of the better positions in the league.

Kat >>>>>> Randle. Knicks can definitely add another star but if they get Mitchell, he better be able to guard up because that is a TINY backcourt, even with Mitchell’s shiftiness and wingspan.
I believe in Masai.
Merit
Head Coach

Post#1110 » by Merit » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:32 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:
PhilBlackson wrote:This is why no one outside of Boston believes in Boston winning it all or believed that Tatum was a real MVP candidate.

They just don't perform in close games and for how talented Tatum is, he's just not THAT guy. I just don't see the killer in him like MJ, Kobe, KD and all the superstar level wings.

I do think though that "tier 1.5" stars hit the under in ring count since Isiah (yes he was in that category) possibly due to chance. Ewing could have won if Starks was clutch. Payton or Drexler could have won if they made the finals in the right year. Webber Kings got screwed. Etc. The Celtics can still win based on superb depth around a tier 1.5 star.

Agreed. Tier 1.5 stars need another two 2’s or another 1.5. I think Boston has that in Brown and Porzingis. I’d take the over on Boston. They just have too many weapons. Also Joe Mazzula is a killer.
I believe in Masai.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,395

Post#1111 » by PhilBlackson » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:21 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:

That's exactly the level I see Tatum at...Drexler, Ewing, Malone...really GREAT players but guys who weren't quite THE guy.

Of course I can't write him off because he hasn't even reached his peak & I guess you can give an outside hope that he has some sort of epiphany that he realizes he needs to with the attitude of a DOG & just be dominant and heck LEAD....I'm not talking sh*t as some Cs hater, I just genuinely don't see THAT kinda stuff in him. It actually reminds me of VC, all the talent in the world to be THE guy but doesn't quite have that fire CONSISTENTLY like the true elite of the elite have.

Like Tatum has the skillset to basically be a bigger version of Kawhi, can imagine if Kawhi was 6'9-6'10 like Tatum and healthy?! He'd be DOMINATING in the Playoffs, there's no reason Tatum shouldn't be crushing undersized MIA, he's probably taller/longer than anyone in the Heat's starting lineup and so skilled . I just find myself on too many occasions watching the Celtics in tough series and just waiting for JT to takeover and instead sometimes it's Brown being the one that tries to put on the cape and Tatum fades into the background, heck that happened for an entire series - you never heard of Pippen over MJ, Russ/Harden over KD etc for an ENTIRE SERIES. That just doesn't happen when you're one of those ones. I'm gonna have to see that from Tatum but right now I'm yet to.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai GA
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,808

Post#1112 » by WaltFrazier » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:39 pm

Tatum says it himself in a NBA ad that was just on - playoff Jason is not a thing
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
SirKen
Rookie
And1: 1,129

Post#1113 » by SirKen » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:42 am

It would be poetic justice if Embiid gets a season or career ending injury in this series.
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,800

Post#1114 » by Basketball_Jones » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:48 am

Embiid injuring another player what a surprise. Only way this loser can win.
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
GP2
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,543

Post#1115 » by GP2 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:01 am

Basketball_Jones wrote:Embiid injuring another player what a surprise. Only way this loser can win.

I would never wish an injury on a player, but this guy makes it so tough.
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,800

Post#1116 » by Basketball_Jones » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:02 am

GP2 wrote:
Basketball_Jones wrote:Embiid injuring another player what a surprise. Only way this loser can win.

Greatest free throw shooter of all time so exciting to watch. Really makes great use of that 7 foot height and athleticism on those free throws.
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
GP2
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,543

Post#1117 » by GP2 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:12 am

Basketball_Jones wrote:
GP2 wrote:

Greatest free throw shooter of all time so exciting to watch. Really makes great use of that 7 foot height and athleticism on those free throws.

Oh, the free throw stuff is annoying, but mostly okay. I didn't really mind Houston Harden either. It's boring for sure, but that's a rules/officiating issue. Where Embiid gets me is him "clumsily" hurting people many times during his career. It's like he still doesn't know his own force and the space his body occupies.
Wise80
Senior
And1: 555

Post#1118 » by Wise80 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:15 am

GP2 wrote:
Basketball_Jones wrote:
GP2 wrote:

Oh, the free throw stuff is annoying, but mostly okay. I didn't really mind Houston Harden either. It's boring for sure, but that's a rules/officiating issue. Where Embiid gets me is him "clumsily" hurting people many times during his career. It's like he still doesn't know his own force and the space his body occupies.

I youtubed it. Are we talking about the Robinson flagrant?

What a piece of ****. He's such a baby. Is Robinson out now, or is he fine?
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,904

Post#1119 » by Duffman100 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:04 pm

Embiid is so dirty.
mrdressup
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,268

Post#1120 » by mrdressup » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:32 pm

SirKen wrote:It would be poetic justice if Embiid gets a season or career ending injury in this series.

If you hire Nurse you should expect that guys will be overworked to make it look like he can coach. If you remove superstars from his teams he's shown himself to be a really mediocre coach that is averse to offensive structure. His approach to defense is similarly just to negate superstars. Win or die trying is always debatable. Winning, if it is just about sipping champagne is pretty hollow and quite ephemeral. The clock starts ticking on when your next championship is going to be the minute you win.

Return to Toronto Raptors