ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Scottie All Star Barnes Thread 8

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,346

Re: Official Scottie All Star Barnes Thread 8 

Post#361 » by Scase » Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:59 pm

DG88 wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:Scottie's assist totals over the last 7 games: 12, 10, 3, 8, 9, 10, 8. Averaging 8.6 assists to 3.3 turnovers over this span.

Barnes is picking teams apart once the double comes. Surrounding him with more shooters/creators/cutters has unlocked a lot more passing potential.

Barnes works so well as a central hub as opposed to a primary scoring option. He can take what the defense gives him offensively, but he creates complete havoc when he's finding open players. Now we have guys who can finish plays around the basket or from 3 when Barnes finds them.

This was essentially the blueprint to unlock him. Surround Barnes with shooters and cutters and let him go to work. JJ Reddick said the same thing in his podcast when he brought up his coaching interview with the Raptors.

This is what so many of us have been SCREAMING for like 2 years now. Give him the Jokic role, let him distribute to the team, he has insane vision, if Hockey assists were a thing he'd be averaging like 20apg lol.

Hell if the team knocked down more (which has been getting better with Dick) open shots, he'd be averaging damn near a triple double. Sky is the limit for this kid, people just need to get out of their heads that he should be putting up 30ppg.
Props TZ!
disoblige
Head Coach
And1: 794

Post#362 » by disoblige » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:27 pm

Scase wrote:This is what so many of us have been SCREAMING for like 2 years now. Give him the Jokic role, let him distribute to the team, he has insane vision, if Hockey assists were a thing he'd be averaging like 20apg lol.

Hell if the team knocked down more (which has been getting better with Dick) open shots, he'd be averaging damn near a triple double. Sky is the limit for this kid, people just need to get out of their heads that he should be putting up 30ppg.

What you and your groupies have been SCREAMING for is to fire the FO. Above statement is the coach's responsibilities. Siakam or Fred was better with the ball at that time.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,919

Post#363 » by LoveMyRaps » Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:41 am

His 3pt shot is cooked.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
TravisScott55
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,858

Post#364 » by TravisScott55 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:28 am

Scottie will be the next Jokic.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,651

Post#365 » by Psubs » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:47 am

LoveMyRaps wrote:His 3pt shot is cooked.

He needs to slow down and take less and take better on balanced 3's.
Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 38,405

Post#366 » by Mikistan » Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:07 am

disoblige wrote:
Scase wrote:This is what so many of us have been SCREAMING for like 2 years now. Give him the Jokic role, let him distribute to the team, he has insane vision, if Hockey assists were a thing he'd be averaging like 20apg lol.

What you and your groupies have been SCREAMING for is to fire the FO. Above statement is the coach's responsibilities. Siakam or Fred was better with the ball at that time.

Better at making sure they got paid ya
mdenny
Head Coach
And1: 6,598

Post#367 » by mdenny » Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:08 am

I'm not worried about the 3 point shooting dip. He was getting so many uncontested 3s early in the season. Ones he won't get as much without siakam.

Also....the guys who run the offense always have to take bail-out 3s and the end of the shot clock. There were 2 or 3 of them tonight vs the mavs. They count the same as stats but aren't reflective of actual shooting. Point guards generally have the lowest fg% on a given starting lineup for a reason. As scotty runs the offense more his FG% will naturally fall.

Is he currently slumping? Sure. But at the very least....we will never see teams leave him all alone at the 3 point line with the ball while they clog the lane like they did last year at times to almost comedic extremes. That alone is positive progress.
HiJiNX
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 12,177

Post#368 » by HiJiNX » Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:00 pm

mdenny wrote:I'm not worried about the 3 point shooting dip. He was getting so many uncontested 3s early in the season. Ones he won't get as much without siakam.

Also....the guys who run the offense always have to take bail-out 3s and the end of the shot clock. There were 2 or 3 of them tonight vs the mavs. They count the same as stats but aren't reflective of actual shooting. Point guards generally have the lowest fg% on a given starting lineup for a reason. As scotty runs the offense more his FG% will naturally fall.

Is he currently slumping? Sure. But at the very least....we will never see teams leave him all alone at the 3 point line with the ball while they clog the lane like they did last year at times to almost comedic extremes. That alone is positive progress.

His shot dipped as soon as Siakam did. Less space being created by another awesome drive and kick type player and he is just expending way more energy having to do everything for the team. This is good, though. It shows him that he has far more work to do.

Overall, Scottie just has to work on his offensive game. He needs to finish better and stronger at the rim. He needs to have a tighter handle, not just so he can beat his primary defender (which I don’t think is as big of an issue as people think it is), but to navigate the second level. He also needs a reliable midrange pull up. He gets guys back peddling against him all the time, a pull-up would make him lethal.

The three point shot may never be consistently good but the rest is more than achievable. He just needs to bust his ass.

It is a positive to see him complaining less on the court and even when he does complain, he’s getting back on D quicker.

Another positive is him directing the offence even when he doesn’t have the ball.

He’s coming along well. He just needs to be better at converting his shot attempts into makes.
not strong, only aggresive cuz the power ain't directed/ that's why, we are subjected to the will of the oppressive
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,984

Post#369 » by Johnny Bball » Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:25 pm

disoblige wrote:

The guy has only been posting here again since the summer when the outlook started to get bleak... but now its "many of us have been screaming it here for 2 years". Not sure why anyone would expect real honesty.
manjusaka
Senior
And1: 431

Post#370 » by manjusaka » Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:59 pm

HiJiNX wrote:
mdenny wrote:I'm not worried about the 3 point shooting dip. He was getting so many uncontested 3s early in the season. Ones he won't get as much without siakam.

His shot dipped as soon as Siakam did. Less space being created by another awesome drive and kick type player and he is just expending way more energy having to do everything for the team. This is good, though. It shows him that he has far more work to do.

Overall, Scottie just has to work on his offensive game. He needs to finish better and stronger at the rim. He needs to have a tighter handle, not just so he can beat his primary defender (which I don’t think is as big of an issue as people think it is), but to navigate the second level. He also needs a reliable midrange pull up. He gets guys back peddling against him all the time, a pull-up would make him lethal.

The three point shot may never be consistently good but the rest is more than achievable. He just needs to bust his ass.

It is a positive to see him complaining less on the court and even when he does complain, he’s getting back on D quicker.

Another positive is him directing the offence even when he doesn’t have the ball.

He’s coming along well. He just needs to be better at converting his shot attempts into makes.

As long as he can make the wild open 3 to keep the defenders honest, I am fine with him having a 3p% around 32%.

He needs to find a high percentage go to move close to the basket. His overall offensive game needs some refinement but he is getting there. Not to worry about him.
XTC
Head Coach
And1: 6,301

Post#371 » by XTC » Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:04 pm

Scottie really struggling from 3. While I'm happy he's attempting the 3, he's shooting 25% from 3 in his last 28 games. It's been all downhill since he went 7/15 from 3 vs Boston.

This directly coincides with his scoring slump. He needs to figure out a way to score when his jumper isn't falling. He needs to develop some post moves/work the mid range this summer.

I still think naturally he's a pass first guy. He likes to get his teammates going, which is why I think having guys like RJ and IQ are great for Scottie. The Scottie we have seen recently is the best version of Scottie. He's not being forced to score, but he's focusing on defense, rebounding, playmaking, and scoring in the flow of the offense. RJ and IQ in return have been far more aggressive, and I think this is the way many envisioned Scottie playing... a Jokic type role, and I think IQ and RJ can be his Jamal Murray.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,205

Post#372 » by YogurtProducer » Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:42 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
disoblige wrote:

The guy has only been posting here again since the summer when the outlook started to get bleak... but now its "many of us have been screaming it here for 2 years". Not sure why anyone would expect real honesty.

Yeah the dude just outed himself as having dupe accounts :lol:

Not that we did not already know, it is just funny to see him slip up and admit it. I just looked at his post history because I swear this guy only shows up when things are "bad".

Nov 7, 2016 he posted.
Then he disappears until May 4, 2017. Literally - he is MIA after the ECF run and then re-appears during our CLE sweep :lol:
Then he disappears from Nov 2017 until June 2023 - back just in time to complain some more.

Had some fun though looking at those dates. Here are some real Scase quotes:

Thanks Masai. Shaping up to be yet another legendary Raptors off season :roll:
July 2016 re: Masai saying he will find a PF thru draft or trade - just weeks after drafting Poeltl, Siakam, and FVV.

Barf, no thanks. Has virtually nothing about his game that looks like it would work at the NBA level.
June 2016 - regarding a report Toronto was interested in Sabonis

I don't like going through post history because everyone has bad takes, but it is funny to see the guy who thinks his **** does not stink also has some all-time bad posts :lol:
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
YogurtProducer
RealGM

Post#373 » by YogurtProducer » Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:43 pm

XTC wrote:Scottie really struggling from 3. While I'm happy he's attempting the 3, he's shooting 25% from 3 in his last 28 games. It's been all downhill since he went 7/15 from 3 vs Boston.

This directly coincides with his scoring slump. He needs to figure out a way to score when his jumper isn't falling. He needs to develop some post moves/work the mid range this summer.

I still think naturally he's a pass first guy. He likes to get his teammates going, which is why I think having guys like RJ and IQ are great for Scottie. The Scottie we have seen recently is the best version of Scottie. He's not being forced to score, but he's focusing on defense, rebounding, playmaking, and scoring in the flow of the offense. RJ and IQ in return have been far more aggressive, and I think this is the way many envisioned Scottie playing... a Jokic type role, and I think IQ and RJ can be his Jamal Murray.

IT is a trend now. Every year his 3 pointer is hot in November / December and then it falls off a cliff. There has got to be a reason this happens and I would bet it is his fundamentals he works on all summer starts to slip when he is not "practicing" as much.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
MessiahUjiri
Analyst
And1: 3,767

Post#374 » by MessiahUjiri » Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:51 pm

Scase wrote:
DG88 wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:Scottie's assist totals over the last 7 games: 12, 10, 3, 8, 9, 10, 8. Averaging 8.6 assists to 3.3 turnovers over this span.

Barnes is picking teams apart once the double comes. Surrounding him with more shooters/creators/cutters has unlocked a lot more passing potential.

Barnes works so well as a central hub as opposed to a primary scoring option. He can take what the defense gives him offensively, but he creates complete havoc when he's finding open players. Now we have guys who can finish plays around the basket or from 3 when Barnes finds them.

This was essentially the blueprint to unlock him. Surround Barnes with shooters and cutters and let him go to work. JJ Reddick said the same thing in his podcast when he brought up his coaching interview with the Raptors.

This is what so many of us have been SCREAMING for like 2 years now. Give him the Jokic role, let him distribute to the team, he has insane vision, if Hockey assists were a thing he'd be averaging like 20apg lol.

I’ve wondered if Scottie could avg 10 assists. That would put him top 5 in the league in assists. Hes already almost there in terms of potential.

I think he’s like a smaller Jokic, with lesser scoring impact.

What could he average in 2 years?

I’m thinking 22 pts / 10 as / 10 rb/ 2 bl/ 1 st
Fire everyone who doesn't win the NBA championship.

Tank for 2050. Robot players.

AbeVigodaLive wrote:NZ native, Steven Adams, was initially cast as Gandalf in Lord in the Rings... until Director Peter Jackson replaced him with a younger looking actor.
Tacoma
Head Coach
And1: 4,889

Post#375 » by Tacoma » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:03 pm

XTC wrote:I still think naturally he's a pass first guy. He likes to get his teammates going, which is why I think having guys like RJ and IQ are great for Scottie. The Scottie we have seen recently is the best version of Scottie. He's not being forced to score, but he's focusing on defense, rebounding, playmaking, and scoring in the flow of the offense. RJ and IQ in return have been far more aggressive, and I think this is the way many envisioned Scottie playing... a Jokic type role, and I think IQ and RJ can be his Jamal Murray.

I agree he should be in Jokic-type role but we need him to be more like Jokic than a glorified role player like Draymond Green whom he’s also been compared to. Another comparison is Magic Johnson, one of best Point Forward ever.

Both Magic and Jokic led their teams in scoring in their peak. Therefore, if he is to truly become our cornerstone franchise player, we’ll still need him to work towards being a primary scorer, in addition to the rest.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,623

Post#376 » by OakleyDokely » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:10 pm

3pt attempts:

Prior to Jan 1st:
C & S frequency: 28.0% (4.5 attempts)
Open or Wide Open Frequency: 34.4% (5.6 attempts)

Since Jan 1st:
C & S frequency: 19.8% (3.0 attempts)
Open or Wide Open Frequency: 25.5% (3.9 attempts)
YogurtProducer
RealGM

Post#377 » by YogurtProducer » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:19 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:3pt attempts:

Prior to Jan 1st:
C & S frequency: 28.0% (4.5 attempts)
Open or Wide Open Frequency: 34.4% (5.6 attempts)

Since Jan 1st:
C & S frequency: 19.8% (3.0 attempts)
Open or Wide Open Frequency: 25.5% (3.9 attempts)

Prior to Jan 1st:
C&S make % - 42.8%
Open make % - 35.1%
Wide Open make % - 41.6%

Since Jan 1st:
C&S make % - 30.5%
Open make % -18.4%
Wide Open make % - 33.3%

I think it is important to note the frequency %'s are on his entire shot diet, not just on 3's. He is not replacing open/wide open 3's for tighter 3's, he is simply taking less 3's and taking more shots inside the arc.
JShuttlesworth
General Manager
And1: 12,875

Post#378 » by JShuttlesworth » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:22 pm

Bingo

It annoys me when people always question whether Scottie can be a "1st Option" or "Primary Option", with people essentially questioning his scoring. Scottie is a passer, if you give him the ball his preference isn't to score, it's to free up one of his teammates for an open look. He makes everyone around him better, they just need to learn to play off him (which I think Gradey does really well)

He doesn't need to score 25-30 points to be effective, you can run your offense through him knowing he's going to try and make the right play
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,905

Post#379 » by Duffman100 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:26 pm

LoveMyRaps wrote:His 3pt shot is cooked.

It'll come back next season.
XTC
Head Coach
And1: 6,301

Post#380 » by XTC » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:28 pm

Tacoma wrote:
XTC wrote:I still think naturally he's a pass first guy. He likes to get his teammates going, which is why I think having guys like RJ and IQ are great for Scottie. The Scottie we have seen recently is the best version of Scottie. He's not being forced to score, but he's focusing on defense, rebounding, playmaking, and scoring in the flow of the offense. RJ and IQ in return have been far more aggressive, and I think this is the way many envisioned Scottie playing... a Jokic type role, and I think IQ and RJ can be his Jamal Murray.

I agree he should be in Jokic-type role but we need him to be more like Jokic than a glorified role player like Draymond Green whom he’s also been compared to. Another comparison is Magic Johnson, one of best Point Forward ever.

Both Magic and Jokic led their teams in scoring in their peak. Therefore, if he is to truly become our cornerstone franchise player, we’ll still need him to work towards being a primary scorer, in addition to the rest.

I think it's unrealistic to expect any player to become like Jokic, but at the same time he's already shown more than Draymond has. I still think his best comparision is Scottie Pippen. Pippen was a far better POA defender, but Scottie is just elite as a help side defender. From 90-98 Scottie averaged 20/7/6/2/1 on 33% from 3. That's sound eerily similiar to a typical night Barnes would have.

Return to Toronto Raptors