ImageImageImageImageImage

WOJ: Raps get Olynyk & Agbaji for 24' 1st Rd Pick, Otto Porter, Kira Lewis

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,297

Re: WOJ: Raps get Olynyk & Agbaji for 24' 1st Rd Pick, Otto Porter, Kira Lewis 

Post#1081 » by Scase » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:03 am

Basketball_Jones wrote:I mean…10 points 6 rebounds in 33 minutes is pretty invisible. But at least he’s a plus 1. He really is that Bruce Bowen/Anunoby type of player that doesn’t do much on the stat sheet.

Except even his defensive stats are mediocre overall. All he does really well is perimeter defence, and transition defence off rebounds. His offence is quite literally some of the worst in the NBA at his position.

I would much have rather the OKC pick, grab a player on a cheaper salary, who is younger, longer contract control, more flexibility in who/what kind of player to pick, longer time to develop them. Ochai was literally just whatever Ainge was willing to give up, and it's pretty evident why he chose Ochai.
Props TZ!
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,147

Post#1082 » by Chandan » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:55 am

Scase wrote:
Basketball_Jones wrote:I mean…10 points 6 rebounds in 33 minutes is pretty invisible. But at least he’s a plus 1. He really is that Bruce Bowen/Anunoby type of player that doesn’t do much on the stat sheet.

Except even his defensive stats are mediocre overall. All he does really well is perimeter defence, and transition defence off rebounds. His offence is quite literally some of the worst in the NBA at his position.

I would much have rather the OKC pick, grab a player on a cheaper salary, who is younger, longer contract control, more flexibility in who/what kind of player to pick, longer time to develop them. Ochai was literally just whatever Ainge was willing to give up, and it's pretty evident why he chose Ochai.

he's just a bit too small.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,891

Post#1083 » by OAKLEY_2 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:14 am

Chandan wrote:
Scase wrote:

Would I be alone saying Agbaji is bubble rotation and Nwora is the better player? Agbaji is 23 but at this point he has no obvious route to crack the rotation. Players with question marks like Agbaji, Nwora and Trent jr. make the thought of signing Brown to his one year option more enticing.
mdenny
Head Coach
And1: 6,582

Post#1084 » by mdenny » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:40 pm

Chandan wrote:
Scase wrote:

He's just a bit too not a draft pick mystery box. Lol.

Thank God we don't have the 14th pick this year. Our acute basketball minds will be breaking down his whole game next year.

"I would much rather have a player that has no name. That player could end up being a Robin who has an amazing floater."
Scase
RealGM

Post#1085 » by Scase » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:53 pm

mdenny wrote:
Chandan wrote:
Scase wrote:Except even his defensive stats are mediocre overall. All he does really well is perimeter defence, and transition defence off rebounds. His offence is quite literally some of the worst in the NBA at his position.

Thank God we don't have the 14th pick this year. Our acute basketball minds will be breaking down his whole game next year.

"I would much rather have a player that has no name. That player could end up being a Robin who has an amazing floater."

"I would much rather have a player who is another teams scraps and is barely NBA rotation level, than the chance at a better player"

It's called the lotto for a reason, at least with a late pick you can take a chance, if it doesn't pan out, it doesn't pan out. Vs acquiring a low ceiling low floor player who you know wont pan out.
Props TZ!
WiggOuts
Starter
And1: 1,366

Post#1086 » by WiggOuts » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:19 pm

You can't expect to see if he is worth it after only his first half season with us. He hasn't even gone through a training camp. Yall need to chill, development doesn't work like that
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,763

Post#1087 » by ArthurVandelay » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:34 pm

Worst part about Agbaji is he was finally starting to play within the team and system before he took that hard fall. He came back out of sorts and playing awful like when he first arrived from Utah.

I don't see him as being more than a 9th or 10th guy off the bench, but to be honest right now he isn't even that. At the bare minimum he needs to hit his open 3s in rhythm. I'm rooting for him but not feeling as hopeful or optimistic as I was.
nivisi9
Senior
And1: 396

Post#1088 » by nivisi9 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:35 am

He looks pretty bad doesn't he

in what world was this guy worth any 1st round pick in trade value?

I am starting to really doubt this front office's interpretation of value..

I think this is all Masai...

"A starting center who can't shoot whatsoever/or play late in games/ and completely destroys team spacing and limits makeup of your team/only plays 25 mins/ and isn't young is worth a potential lottery 1st round pick (that very likely will turn into top 7 pick), that's just the price of a starting center in the NBA"

:crazy:
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,815

Post#1089 » by Zeno » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:25 pm

#29 in a bad draft that you already have the 31st pick is worth a resigned Kelly and a flier on middling prospect. I personally don't think he's looked that bad but whatever. Everything falls into place as a bench rotation piece if he just hits corner threes. At worst Kelly on his new deal can get you an early 2nd next deadline if things aren't working at which point it comes out basically even. We need to get a backup C to play next to Kelly though. Overall the trade has a outcome range of blah to good so getting upset about it when there are plenty of other moves to complain about is a little over the top.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,459

Post#1090 » by aminiaturebuddha » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:34 pm

Scase wrote:
mdenny wrote:
Chandan wrote:

"I would much rather have a player who is another teams scraps and is barely NBA rotation level, than the chance at a better player"

It's called the lotto for a reason, at least with a late pick you can take a chance, if it doesn't pan out, it doesn't pan out. Vs acquiring a low ceiling low floor player who you know wont pan out.

Um...the lottery is the first 14 picks, and it's called that because they conduct a literal lottery for the teams with those picks to see who will draft 1 through 4. The draft isn't called a lotto because you just randomly hope that luck gives you a good player.

But I think you knew that.
MiamiSPX
Analyst
And1: 4,102

Post#1091 » by MiamiSPX » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:52 pm

Zeno wrote:#29 in a bad draft that you already have the 31st pick is worth a resigned Kelly and a flier on middling prospect. I personally don't think he's looked that bad but whatever. Everything falls into place as a bench rotation piece if he just hits corner threes. At worst Kelly on his new deal can get you an early 2nd next deadline if things aren't working at which point it comes out basically even. We need to get a backup C to play next to Kelly though. Overall the trade has a outcome range of blah to good so getting upset about it when there are plenty of other moves to complain about is a little over the top.

Agreed. With the 29th pick you are hoping you get a rotation player, but most of the time you end up with a guy like Malachi Flynn.

The plan is to make him a regular bench piece. The FO is not disillusioned enough to think he will be any more than that....nobody thinks that. His defense is elite, he just needs to work on his 3s all summer so that he can contribute in at least one other way.

Of course I wish he looked better than he did, but let's give him a full summer and training camp with the team.

Had we not made this trade, and we end up keeping our pick, the FO still would have traded it at some point this summer. Masai pretty much said so in his post-Siakam trade PC. There is no way in hell that he would have kept 4 picks in this upcoming draft. I don't even think he will keep all 3 if we keep our pick.
HiJiNX
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 12,167

Post#1092 » by HiJiNX » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:24 pm

WiggOuts wrote:You can't expect to see if he is worth it after only his first half season with us. He hasn't even gone through a training camp. Yall need to chill, development doesn't work like that

The issue is he has shown very few flashes. Defence is his supposed calling card but he doesn’t process the game fast enough (yet?) to be good despite his physical tools. As for those physical tools, he’s a great athlete but not outstanding. He’s also not big or strong enough to guard big wings in this league.

He needs to learn to finish in traffic and convert open threes. But as I’ve said in other threads, he lacks coordination, which is always going to impact his offensive game, particularly anything that requires dribbling or adjusting in mid-air.

If he wants to make it he has A LOT of work to do.
not strong, only aggresive cuz the power ain't directed/ that's why, we are subjected to the will of the oppressive
Smalltown
Senior
And1: 458

Post#1093 » by Smalltown » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:32 pm

Zeno wrote:#29 in a bad draft that you already have the 31st pick is worth a resigned Kelly and a flier on middling prospect. I personally don't think he's looked that bad but whatever. Everything falls into place as a bench rotation piece if he just hits corner threes. At worst Kelly on his new deal can get you an early 2nd next deadline if things aren't working at which point it comes out basically even. We need to get a backup C to play next to Kelly though. Overall the trade has a outcome range of blah to good so getting upset about it when there are plenty of other moves to complain about is a little over the top.

I agree 100%. This is a draft where we'll still have 2-3 picks. And the 31 is a better pick than the 29 because of the type of contract you can offer.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,641

Post#1094 » by Psubs » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

OAKLEY_2 wrote:
Chandan wrote:
Scase wrote:Except even his defensive stats are mediocre overall. All he does really well is perimeter defence, and transition defence off rebounds. His offence is quite literally some of the worst in the NBA at his position.

Would I be alone saying Agbaji is bubble rotation and Nwora is the better player? Agbaji is 23 but at this point he has no obvious route to crack the rotation. Players with question marks like Agbaji, Nwora and Trent jr. make the thought of signing Brown to his one year option more enticing.

Agbaji is more useful to winning than Nwora. Nwora is a decent scorer but below average defender and facilitator. Agbaji at least is a useful perimeter defender than can carve out a niche as an MLE level 3 and D (from the corners) on the level of a Wesley Matthews/PJ Tucker. McDaniels I guess from the outside looked like he has the tools to have the strengths of Agbaji and Nwora but not the BBIQ and is below average on offense AND defense and is expiring salary filler.

People want to draft Ryan Dunn, but why when have probably a close player in Agbaji. Might as well use draft picks on Chomche, DaSilva, KJ Simpson, CMB, etc.

Agbaji has a niche roll like a GPII. As an 8th/9th rotation player to expend energy to pester a hot player. Also would like a microwave scorer off the bench that is at least an average defender so not a net negative like Nwora.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,490

Post#1095 » by WuTang_OG » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:37 pm

HiJiNX wrote:
WiggOuts wrote:You can't expect to see if he is worth it after only his first half season with us. He hasn't even gone through a training camp. Yall need to chill, development doesn't work like that

The issue is he has shown very few flashes. Defence is his supposed calling card but he doesn’t process the game fast enough (yet?) to be good despite his physical tools. As for those physical tools, he’s a great athlete but not outstanding. He’s also not big or strong enough to guard big wings in this league.

He needs to learn to finish in traffic and convert open threes. But as I’ve said in other threads, he lacks coordination, which is always going to impact his offensive game, particularly anything that requires dribbling or adjusting in mid-air.

I'm willing to give him another season. His ceiling is a top 9 rotation guy who defends and hit 3's. That's it. His goal should be Danny Green and carve out a long nice career by doing those things and help your team win.

But he has to show next year especially if the Raps draft a wing player like a Holland say at 4 if they jump in

Also Kelly is a not a 5 IMO. He has size but plays as a crafty PF type. We need to address our back up centre spot / long term centre. Hoping for a pipedream to win Sarr

All in all, I still make that deal
Psubs
RealGM

Post#1096 » by Psubs » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:42 pm

HiJiNX wrote:

It's taken GPII until age 29 to finally make it. GP started playing NBA games at age 24. Ochai may not be a net positive yet but consistency can build chemistry on this team like how Boucher was able to develop into an MLE level bench player.

Ochai will be a decent cheap end of the rotation player until his prime and that's okay. Maybe he hits his stride when the Raptors are in contention for a championship like FVV. :D
Psubs
RealGM

Post#1097 » by Psubs » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:48 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
HiJiNX wrote:

I'm willing to give him another season. His ceiling is a top 9 rotation guy who defends and hit 3's. That's it. His goal should be Danny Green and carve out a long nice career by doing those things and help your team win.

But he has to show next year especially if the Raps draft a wing player like a Holland say at 4 if they jump in

Also Kelly is a not a 5 IMO. He has size but plays as a crafty PF type. We need to address our back up centre spot / long term centre. Hoping for a pipedream to win Sarr

All in all, I still make that deal

I'd still make this deal again too. The Pistons pick could've easily been #32 and OKC pick could've been #25. Utah doesn't do the trade for the Pistons pick. Just need to do scouting well.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,891

Post#1098 » by OAKLEY_2 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:16 pm

Psubs wrote:
HiJiNX wrote:

It's taken GPII until age 29 to finally make it. GP started playing NBA games at age 24. Ochai may not be a net positive yet but consistency can build chemistry on this team like how Boucher was able to develop into an MLE level bench player.

Ochai will be a decent cheap end of the rotation player until his prime and that's okay. Maybe he hits his stride when the Raptors are in contention for a championship like FVV. :D

He is signed to 3 more years so... he WILL be back for sure. Nwora I just like his size and 3 and D potential as power forward hybrid. Esp. Since we dispatched 3 PFs in Siakam, OG and Achuiwa. The distance between being 6th worse and 6th seed can be measured in part by how little presence we have at the power forward position. We are good at PG except no back-up. Good at Centre. Good at SF if Scottie plays there. Good at SG if Barrett plays there. So we are ok at 3 of five positions.

Agbaji is something close to a Shooting Guard. He is behind Gradey for minutes who was behind Gary. Gary must know he is odd man out. Agbaji is still a project next year.
Scase
RealGM

Post#1099 » by Scase » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:48 pm

aminiaturebuddha wrote:
Scase wrote:
mdenny wrote:

Um...the lottery is the first 14 picks, and it's called that because they conduct a literal lottery for the teams with those picks to see who will draft 1 through 4. The draft isn't called a lotto because you just randomly hope that luck gives you a good player.

But I think you knew that.

I was referring to his comment about :

I guess I read that as ending up with a potential late lotto pick, not getting a good player being the luck of the draw lol. But I could definitely have worded that better!
Props TZ!
WiggOuts
Starter
And1: 1,366

Post#1100 » by WiggOuts » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:48 pm

You can't teach athleticism. It looks like they want him to become the POA defender and he has the perfect tools for that. Obviously the shooting has to develop but he has foot speed and good enough strength to guard most gaurds. That is an important role player to have and someone u want in a 9 man rotation

Return to Toronto Raptors