ImageImageImageImageImage

WOJ: Raps get Olynyk & Agbaji for 24' 1st Rd Pick, Otto Porter, Kira Lewis

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,176

Re: WOJ: Raps get Olynyk & Agbaji for 24' 1st Rd Pick, Otto Porter, Kira Lewis 

Post#1061 » by YogurtProducer » Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:19 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:If Agbaji develops a 3 he will be a good player. If he doesn't develop a 3 he will be tough to play.

Not that complicated

Yup it's pretty that.

If he unlocks his dribble drive (along with the 3) we got something special.

But let's focus on the 3 first.

Sounds like a lot of players we've had over the past few years lol. I do agree though that he only needs to be a good catch and shoot player for this deal to become a home run.

Yep, and when it works out (Siakam, OG, Norm even to a smaller extent) it pays off.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,297

Post#1062 » by Scase » Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:28 am

ArthurVandelay wrote:
Scase wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:
You’re not having a conversation here. You pretend to be objective and open minded and claim you could be wrong, but then definitely state how another person is totally wrong and Agbaji is done yet you’ve ignored things I’ve already stated numerous times about what Agbaji needs to do to be an effective player. Your shooting stats lifted from basketball reference only confirm my previously stated opinions of what he needs to do and what the coaches need to do to ensure he is utilized to his strengths.

This is mind boggling.

I'm simply providing context to what you said, I don't see how that is stating that anything is "done".

You said he has hit 45% of his corner threes, and I provided the context of where and how he hit them. How exactly is that NOT objective, like it is a literal fact that he is only shooting well from a single place on the court.

How is raising a counter to your point not a conversation? I'm actually confused here. I never discounted what you said about the work the coaches need to do, in my own post above I said him playing outside of his game is something I hope the coaching staff can reign in.

But if you're going to use a blanket statement and say a player shoots 45% from the corner, why is it an issue for me to point out the specific details of said claim?

As of now, he offers good shooting from a singular area on the court, and good defence. I never said he's worthless, I'm being realistic. Like damn man, if you can't handle someone pointing out base level stats of a player without getting offended, I don't know what to say here.

I'm clearly stating that he CAN get better, but based on his perceived potential, it's not likely that he becomes a lights out 45% shooter from both corners of the court and a lockdown defender. How is this a controversial statement?

You can't claim it's not a conversation, just because I provided additional context to a statement. Your response here is the only thing that is mind boggling.

You’re condescending. You don’t think I know the number of corner 3s and total attempts he’s taken?

Guess what? He’s elite from one corner and a little below average from the other. Put together he hits 45% from the corners in Utah.

The conclusions you draw from these stats and your statements put forth as definitive gospel is what’s mind boggling, especially when taking a look at your post history, as others did yesterday, shows a poster who knows about as much as the rest of us.

You don’t like Masai, I get it.
You don’t like anything he’s done the last 4 years outside Barnes, I get it.
You don’t like trading 28/29th pick for 2 rotation pieces, I get it.
You don’t think Ochai has an NBA future, I get it.

Personally I haven’t written his future and am hopeful to watch him grow. I see his positives and am aware of his shortcomings. No one knows what’s going to happen. If he sticks to the corners, cutting, and defense that is a valuable NBA rotational player….but you do you man, clutch your pearls, stand on your soap box and continue telling everyone about the lost opportunity with the 28/29 pick.

Got it, I'm condescending for pointing out stats.

You don’t think I know the number of corner 3s and total attempts he’s taken?

Well since you want to be combative about something. No, I don't think you do. Precisely because he's shooting 40% from the corner this season and 43% for his career, not the claimed 45%. So if you're going to get uppity about someone bringing some basic stats to the conversation, maybe get the stats you are quoting to be right first. Stating correct stats is not condescending.

I have no issue with Ochai, I quite literally have said multiple times I expect his likely outcome to be a guy 8-10 off the bench. That is what most people would clearly classify as an NBA career.

If you want to keep talking about ifs, be my guest, just don't get all pissy when someone talks about the opposite ifs, that are grounded in realism and not blind hope.

If you can't take other peoples opinions, then don't comment on the boards, or block/ignore. You give me **** as if I'm treating my opinion as gospel, and then in the same breath turn around and say that I have to respect your opinion? Nice and hypocritical.
Props TZ!
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,219

Post#1063 » by Dalek » Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:31 am

After being handed starter minutes with Scottie out, Ochai is proving how useless he is. Since March 1 he is averaging: 30/16.5/50 from the field. He has pretty much zero expectations and he can't really impact a game playing Portland or Detroit. The 0-fer tonight is the capper. This is not a capable NBA player and Danny Ainge knew it.

Kelly O is great, but they literally watched Jontay Porter for a solid month and still decided they needed Kelly who does the exact same things. Porter is younger, bigger and better. It is nice to have Kelly for this tank, but really I don't see a need for him to give up a pick.

I am just baffled by this trade - it has Bobby Webster all over it.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,891

Post#1064 » by OAKLEY_2 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:45 am

Dalek wrote:After being handed starter minutes with Scottie out, Ochai is proving how useless he is. Since March 1 he is averaging: 30/16.5/50 from the field. He has pretty much zero expectations and he can't really impact a game playing Portland or Detroit. The 0-fer tonight is the capper. This is not a capable NBA player and Danny Ainge knew it.

Kelly O is great, but they literally watched Jontay Porter for a solid month and still decided they needed Kelly who does the exact same things. Porter is younger, bigger and better. It is nice to have Kelly for this tank, but really I don't see a need for him to give up a pick.

Except we gave up nothing. Nwora has same stat line in half the minutes as O-fer. I think the deal is Kelly for washed Porter jr. (waived) Kira Lewis (bust). The flipped late first is a hail mary flip of a guaranteed money pick sitting just before the non guaranteed 31st pick. Can't he even Bobby flame this. It is Olynyk for putting out the trash.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,763

Post#1065 » by ArthurVandelay » Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:02 am

Scase wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:
Scase wrote:I'm simply providing context to what you said, I don't see how that is stating that anything is "done".

You said he has hit 45% of his corner threes, and I provided the context of where and how he hit them. How exactly is that NOT objective, like it is a literal fact that he is only shooting well from a single place on the court.

How is raising a counter to your point not a conversation? I'm actually confused here. I never discounted what you said about the work the coaches need to do, in my own post above I said him playing outside of his game is something I hope the coaching staff can reign in.

But if you're going to use a blanket statement and say a player shoots 45% from the corner, why is it an issue for me to point out the specific details of said claim?

As of now, he offers good shooting from a singular area on the court, and good defence. I never said he's worthless, I'm being realistic. Like damn man, if you can't handle someone pointing out base level stats of a player without getting offended, I don't know what to say here.

I'm clearly stating that he CAN get better, but based on his perceived potential, it's not likely that he becomes a lights out 45% shooter from both corners of the court and a lockdown defender. How is this a controversial statement?

You can't claim it's not a conversation, just because I provided additional context to a statement. Your response here is the only thing that is mind boggling.

You’re condescending. You don’t think I know the number of corner 3s and total attempts he’s taken?

Guess what? He’s elite from one corner and a little below average from the other. Put together he hits 45% from the corners in Utah.

The conclusions you draw from these stats and your statements put forth as definitive gospel is what’s mind boggling, especially when taking a look at your post history, as others did yesterday, shows a poster who knows about as much as the rest of us.

Personally I haven’t written his future and am hopeful to watch him grow. I see his positives and am aware of his shortcomings. No one knows what’s going to happen. If he sticks to the corners, cutting, and defense that is a valuable NBA rotational player….but you do you man, clutch your pearls, stand on your soap box and continue telling everyone about the lost opportunity with the 28/29 pick.

Well since you want to be combative about something. No, I don't think you do. Precisely because he's shooting 40% from the corner this season and 43% for his career, not the claimed 45%. So if you're going to get uppity about someone bringing some basic stats to the conversation, maybe get the stats you are quoting to be right first. Stating correct stats is not condescending.

I have no issue with Ochai, I quite literally have said multiple times I expect his likely outcome to be a guy 8-10 off the bench. That is what most people would clearly classify as an NBA career.

If you want to keep talking about ifs, be my guest, just don't get all pissy when someone talks about the opposite ifs, that are grounded in realism and not blind hope.

If you can't take other peoples opinions, then don't comment on the boards, or block/ignore. You give me **** as if I'm treating my opinion as gospel, and then in the same breath turn around and say that I have to respect your opinion? Nice and hypocritical.

You’re nuts man. Where did I say respect my opinion? Also, he’s been dog poop in Toronto. The 45% was his time in Utah.

Here’s the thing. You’re an intelligent poster, you make valid points. I haven’t been around here too long. When I started I agreed with a lot of your posts (blow it up, tank, etc etc). Then guess what? Those things happened. It might not have happened on the timeline I or you wanted. It included a doubling down on Poeltl which was a failure. But they have moved on and are making changes to build around Scottie.

Guess who hasn’t moved on? You. You’re still talking about the same things but now that they took too long or you’re forecasting all the future failures. It’s tiresome. So you’re right. I guess it’s best if I block/ignore/for you. Reading the same arguments in thread after thread has obviously pissed me off and that’s on me, not you.
Statistician MK
Junior
And1: 426

Post#1066 » by Statistician MK » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:26 am

Dalek wrote:It is nice to have Kelly for this tank, but really I don't see a need for him to give up a pick.

Kelly Olynyk in March (7 games):
14.4 pts - 6.0 reb - 4.7 ast - 1.9 stl - 1.1 blk
53.0 FG% - 38.5 3P% - 77.8 FT%
We all have different opinions, and that is one thing that makes this forum great.
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,511

Post#1067 » by whitehops » Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:18 am

i liked agbaji pre-draft because he looked like he could be a toolsy defender and a good movement shooter that doubled as a backdoor lob threat which is a unique combination.

unfortunately he's largely struggled with all those things and given that that was his key to succeeding in the league it's a little disappointing he's started his career flat. to be fair it's a tough environment for players like him because they rely on others to make plays for them but regardless it's not a positive start if you consider him a prospect/young talent/etc.

on the other hand, olynyk is awesome for a developing team. he has his obvious limitations but is smart, skilled and plays with integrity. he's already shown good chemistry with gradey and will get along with any other cerebral players the raps add. imo this trade is much less about agbaji as a prospect and more about adding KO to the rebuilding culture. giving up the ~28th pick in a draft they already have a bunch of picks in is worth it imo.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,297

Post#1068 » by Scase » Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:28 pm

ArthurVandelay wrote:
Scase wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:

You’re nuts man. Where did I say respect my opinion? Also, he’s been dog poop in Toronto. The 45% was his time in Utah.

Here’s the thing. You’re an intelligent poster, you make valid points. I haven’t been around here too long. When I started I agreed with a lot of your posts (blow it up, tank, etc etc). Then guess what? Those things happened. It might not have happened on the timeline I or you wanted. It included a doubling down on Poeltl which was a failure. But they have moved on and are making changes to build around Scottie.

Guess who hasn’t moved on? You. You’re still talking about the same things but now that they took too long or you’re forecasting all the future failures. It’s tiresome. So you’re right. I guess it’s best if I block/ignore/for you. Reading the same arguments in thread after thread has obviously pissed me off and that’s on me, not you.

Fair enough you didn't explicitly say I should respect your opinion. I'm just a reasonable person, and assume that should be the default. If that isn't the baseline for having an actual discussion, then this is a waste of time.

I don't see how talking about the Ochai trade, that is barely a month old, is being unable to move on.
Props TZ!
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,219

Post#1069 » by Dalek » Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:40 pm

OAKLEY_2 wrote:
Dalek wrote:After being handed starter minutes with Scottie out, Ochai is proving how useless he is. Since March 1 he is averaging: 30/16.5/50 from the field. He has pretty much zero expectations and he can't really impact a game playing Portland or Detroit. The 0-fer tonight is the capper. This is not a capable NBA player and Danny Ainge knew it.

Except we gave up nothing. Nwora has same stat line in half the minutes as O-fer. I think the deal is Kelly for washed Porter jr. (waived) Kira Lewis (bust). The flipped late first is a hail mary flip of a guaranteed money pick sitting just before the non guaranteed 31st pick. Can't he even Bobby flame this. It is Olynyk for putting out the trash.

Toronto gave up two roster spots and a FRP. Even if you leave the deal with Olynyk as the principle, I think he is taking minutes away from Jontay Porter. We also now have KO for next season as well. I just look at it like if we did nothing, Porter Jr. would have retired and we could have waived Kira Lewis and been done with it while keeping our pick.

We now have Ochai getting minutes passing up shots against Detroit, and KO eating minutes. It isn't the worst trade to be fair, but what benefit do we have with Ochai and KO - one semi-serviceable player and another on a development path like Stanley Johnson?

I think I would have been fine with it if somehow we can play Porter and Olynyk together, but they really overlap in skills and game. No way you need two of those players on the court at the same time.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,490

Post#1070 » by WuTang_OG » Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:18 pm

The Thunder face the Mavericks in a game in which Dallas has nothing to play for and is likely to rest players. If the Thunder win and Denver beats Memphis -- which should happen, but it could become an interesting game if Denver chooses to rest players -- Oklahoma City will clinch the No. 1 seed. If Denver loses and Minnesota wins its game against the Phoenix Suns, Minnesota has the head-to-head tiebreak with OKC, and therefore it would be Minnesota-Oklahoma City-Denver atop the West.

If all three teams win, it will be Oklahoma City-Minnesota-Denver.

another to go to coin toss
nuggs winning okc smashed
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,904

Post#1071 » by LoveMyRaps » Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:53 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
The Thunder face the Mavericks in a game in which Dallas has nothing to play for and is likely to rest players. If the Thunder win and Denver beats Memphis -- which should happen, but it could become an interesting game if Denver chooses to rest players -- Oklahoma City will clinch the No. 1 seed. If Denver loses and Minnesota wins its game against the Phoenix Suns, Minnesota has the head-to-head tiebreak with OKC, and therefore it would be Minnesota-Oklahoma City-Denver atop the West.

So Ochai and Olynyk for the 29th or 30th pick?

Awesome trade.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,490

Post#1072 » by WuTang_OG » Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:57 pm

LoveMyRaps wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:

So Ochai and Olynyk for the 29th or 30th pick?

Awesome trade.

28 or 29
cels got 30
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,147

Post#1073 » by Chandan » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:01 am

If we are going by how the 29/30 is absolutely worthless that makes siakam the top 3 worst trade in raptors history.
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,778

Post#1074 » by Basketball_Jones » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:15 am

I mean…10 points 6 rebounds in 33 minutes is pretty invisible. But at least he’s a plus 1. He really is that Bruce Bowen/Anunoby type of player that doesn’t do much on the stat sheet.
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
Mark_83
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,207

Post#1075 » by Mark_83 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:17 am

I'd honestly rather have pick 28 than Agbaji. He's been so mid for a player his age and pedigree. I guess it was worth it to get KO's rights though.
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,778

Post#1076 » by Basketball_Jones » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:46 am

Mark_83 wrote:I'd honestly rather have pick 28 than Agbaji. He's been so mid for a player his age and pedigree. I guess it was worth it to get KO's rights though.

Mystery box is always better but we’ll have to see. Raptors could easily just screw up the pick like drafting Koloko. They’ll have Abaji in the lab this summer and see if they can turn him into nba player.
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
Wise80
Senior
And1: 553

Post#1077 » by Wise80 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:27 am

Chandan wrote:If we are going by how the 29/30 is absolutely worthless that makes siakam the top 3 worst trade in raptors history.

It's pretty crazy that the best asset we got is 3 off seasons down the road where we have to hope that there star player goes down with a season ending injury. Even then, we have to hope they don't bottom out, because it's top 4 protected lol. Best case scenario we get 1 lottery pick.

If this was done by a new management team, we'd be ripping them to pieces for how they handled Pascal all year and for what they got for him.

If we give the Spurs our pick. Then we gave up more to get Jakob then what we got for Pascal.
Thaddy
Analyst
And1: 1,862

Post#1078 » by Thaddy » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:34 am

Basketball_Jones wrote:I mean…10 points 6 rebounds in 33 minutes is pretty invisible. But at least he’s a plus 1. He really is that Bruce Bowen/Anunoby type of player that doesn’t do much on the stat sheet.

You need players that don't demand the ball and still lock in on defense. He needs to get more dimensions to his game. He should be a better rebounder and finisher. I would take him over the 28th pick in this draft and he looks like a strong candidate to improve.
positivetension
Veteran
And1: 1,137

Post#1079 » by positivetension » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:36 am

Basketball_Jones wrote:
Mark_83 wrote:I'd honestly rather have pick 28 than Agbaji. He's been so mid for a player his age and pedigree. I guess it was worth it to get KO's rights though.

Mystery box is always better but we’ll have to see. Raptors could easily just screw up the pick like drafting Koloko. They’ll have Abaji in the lab this summer and see if they can turn him into nba player.

How was drafting Koloko a screw up? The team should have anticipated his clots?
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,522

Post#1080 » by Raps in 4 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:50 am

I'm ready to admit Ochai sucks. Maybe we can unlock something in him over the off-season, but right now, it looks like Ainge won the trade.

Return to Toronto Raptors