ImageImageImageImageImage

WOJ: Raps get Olynyk & Agbaji for 24' 1st Rd Pick, Otto Porter, Kira Lewis

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,541

Re: WOJ: Raps get Olynyk & Agbaji for 24' 1st Rd Pick, Otto Porter, Kira Lewis 

Post#1101 » by WuTang_OG » Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:35 pm

Read on Twitter
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,890

Post#1102 » by deeps6x » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:57 pm

Yeah, I'm thinking Masai did pretty well with this trade.
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,203

Post#1103 » by YogurtProducer » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:53 pm

deeps6x wrote:Yeah, I'm thinking Masai did pretty well with this trade.

In 2028 someone will quote this because a player that got picked at 37 was a stud and “we could’ve had him”
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,239

Post#1104 » by Dalek » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:49 pm

In what way? Are you seeing some upside in Ochai as a mini wing who can't shoot? Or Kelly Olynyk who we could have signed in free agency.

We burned a 29 pick which could have been used in a trade up in the draft or to select a prospect.

I am fairly certain we can replace Ochai's value in this draft. He basically is Stanley Johnson redux. Not really sure where the win is other than to committing to two average players.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,203

Post#1105 » by YogurtProducer » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:58 pm

Dalek wrote:

In what way? Are you seeing some upside in Ochai as a mini wing who can't shoot? Or Kelly Olynyk who we could have signed in free agency.

We burned a 29 pick which could have been used in a trade up in the draft or to select a prospect.

I am fairly certain we can replace Ochai's value in this draft. He basically is Stanley Johnson redux. Not really sure where the win is other than to committing to two average players.

Reality is Agabji is already better than the average 29th pick and has just as much upside as anyone selected there.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,899

Post#1106 » by Duffman100 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:01 pm

Ochai is a good defender who has great raw athleticism. His shot WAS improving year over year up until this last year where it tanked.

If he can regain any bit of his shot, he'll be a solid rotation guy.
bobbyp3588
Senior
And1: 501

Post#1107 » by bobbyp3588 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:04 pm

Dalek wrote:

Pffffft.

Grumps gonna grump.

We’re all entitled to an opinion but no one should be paying yours any mind.

It was the worst of three or four picks in a poor draft. We were never keeping all of them, and taking a flier on a recent lottery pick who had a decent rookie season and was enduring a bit of a sophomore slump was a sound move. Time will tell. You just seem to want to bitch.
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,239

Post#1108 » by Dalek » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:06 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
Dalek wrote:

Reality is Agabji is already better than the average 29th pick and has just as much upside as anyone selected there.

I would like a prospect who is bigger and has some skill finishing or shooting. Ryan Dunn could replace Ochai's defense or Tristan Silva has an all-around game. Even back up PG like KJ Simpson is a bigger need than Ochai.

We have had guys like Stanley Johnson, Landry Fields, Rasual Butler - these guys who get the yips playing pro ball. I don't know if Ochai ever gets over his nerves, but he looks nervous out there.
sbsat
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,651

Post#1109 » by sbsat » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:12 pm

this was a good trade for us, why on earth would you complain about giving up a late 20s (29th) pick? STOP OVERVALUING PICKS !
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#1110 » by Duffman100 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:19 pm

Dalek wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
Dalek wrote:

I would like a prospect who is bigger and has some skill finishing or shooting. Ryan Dunn could replace Ochai's defense or Tristan Silva has an all-around game. Even back up PG like KJ Simpson is a bigger need than Ochai.

We have had guys like Stanley Johnson, Landry Fields, Rasual Butler - these guys who get the yips playing pro ball. I don't know if Ochai ever gets over his nerves, but he looks nervous out there.

Keep in mind, starting now for the next few months is the time when these players in the draft look the best. And then the draft happens, you get these guys in and...
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,989

Post#1111 » by MEDIC » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:29 pm

I'm confident in Ochai. I think he'll figure it out & become a decent 3&D player. He seems like a smart guy, a hard worker, coachable, elite athleticism & was already having some decent success from the corner.

He'll have a very defined role. He has the luxury of just putting the reps in until he masters that skill set.

It might take a couple.if seasons, but I think he will get there.

It wasn't a bad trade.
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#1112 » by Duffman100 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:34 pm

MEDIC wrote:I'm confident in Ochai. I think he'll figure it out & become a decent 3&D player. He seems like a smart guy, a hard worker, coachable, elite athleticism & was already having some decent success from the corner.

He'll have a very defined role. He has the luxury of just putting the reps in until he masters that skill set.

It might take a couple.if seasons, but I think he will get there.

It wasn't a bad trade.

I think the 29th pick for 2 1/2 years of KO plus an equivalent prosepct in Ochai at that level.

Downside, you lose 2 years of control and that chance to hit a homerun (albeit unlikley at that range).

Considering we have a pick two picks later... it really isn't a bad move.
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,688

Post#1113 » by C_Money » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:55 pm

Masai loves these “all defence, no offence” type players but the amount of them that actually pan out are very few. They’re usually out of the league after they leave here.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,915

Post#1114 » by LoveMyRaps » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:59 pm

I'm actually very high on Ochai.

He's the perfect role player, especially if he can regain his shooting stroke.

Excellent at cutting to the rim, solid passer himself, very good defensively, and most importantly - he plays within his role.

He's like Precious in terms of raw talent - but he actually has a brain and doesn't ever force anything.

Still only 23 as well. The upside is there and he'll excel playing next to Scottie next year.

This trade was perfecto by Masai.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#1115 » by Duffman100 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:07 pm

LoveMyRaps wrote:I'm actually very high on Ochai.

Excellent at cutting to the rim, solid passer himself, very good defensively, and most importantly - he plays within his role.

He's like Precious in terms of raw talent - but he actually has a brain and doesn't ever force anything.

Still only 23 as well. The upside is there and he'll excel playing next to Scottie next year.

Ochai to LoveMyRaps = Poeltl to Shakril :lol:
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,915

Post#1116 » by LoveMyRaps » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:49 pm

Duffman100 wrote:

:lol:

Idk, I just feel like the guy is being unfairly written off by most. But then again, this fanbase is beyond impatient when it comes to player development.

I really do think he's the perfect role player to have alongside Scottie. His ability to cut to the rim and also create second chance opportunities is what really stands out to me.

And like I said, he's not a boneheaded player like Precious. Ochai actually plays within his role and never tries to do too much. He keeps it simple.

With that being said, he needs to shoot a respectable percentage from 3 next season (i.e. minimum ~35%). Otherwise, he'll be racking up a lot of DNPs.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,989

Post#1117 » by MEDIC » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:03 pm

C_Money wrote:Masai loves these “all defence, no offence” type players but the amount of them that actually pan out are very few. They’re usually out of the league after they leave here.

It's worth the risk though. At least with a defensive prospect, you have the chance of developing a 3 point shot which allows them to become a useful 3 + D player & possible starter.

I'd take a chance on a player like that over an offensive player who is a terrible defender. I don't think I have ever seen a poor defender turn into a good one.......but I have seen a poor shooter turn into a good shooter.
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,582

Post#1118 » by DreamTeam09 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:13 pm

LoveMyRaps wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:

Idk, I just feel like the guy is being unfairly written off by most. But then again, this fanbase is beyond impatient when it comes to player development.

I really do think he's the perfect role player to have alongside Scottie. His ability to cut to the rim and also create second chance opportunities is what really stands out to me.

And like I said, he's not a boneheaded player like Precious. Ochai actually plays within his role and never tries to do too much. He keeps it simple.

With that being said, he needs to shoot a respectable percentage from 3 next season (i.e. minimum ~35%). Otherwise, he'll be racking up a lot of DNPs.

That's what I said when he first got here, he has a chance to be like the perfect role player.
3+D + athletic enough to cut n finish or be placed in the dunkers spot.
His ability to cover the other teams PG will unlock our defense one day.
His 3pt shot has to become respectable tho, and it's not like he's gonna be getting movement 3s, just has to knock down the open ones

In Raptor Ball I Trust
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#1119 » by Duffman100 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:14 pm

LoveMyRaps wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:

Oh you know me. I like the shot on Ochai
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,688

Post#1120 » by C_Money » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:29 pm

MEDIC wrote:
C_Money wrote:Masai loves these “all defence, no offence” type players but the amount of them that actually pan out are very few. They’re usually out of the league after they leave here.

It's worth the risk though. At least with a defensive prospect, you have the chance of developing a 3 point shot which allows them to become a useful 3 + D player & possible starter.

I'd take a chance on a player like that over an offensive player who is a terrible defender. I don't think I have ever seen a poor defender turn into a good one.......but I have seen a poor shooter turn into a good shooter.

In today’s NBA I’m taking the offensive player hands down.

Return to Toronto Raptors