ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Ochai Agbaji Thread - Welcome to Toronto, Ochai!

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,166

Re: Official Ochai Agbaji Thread - Welcome to Toronto, Ochai! 

Post#261 » by YogurtProducer » Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:28 pm

PushDaRock wrote:Might as well give him the offseason in our program to see how he looks next season. One thing that stands out that likely can't be fixed though is that his strength and athleticism doesn't translate over offensively as there is a lack of fluidity in how he moves. One of the stats I like to look to gauge how functional the athleticism is on the court is dunks, Ochai only has 36 dunks in his entire career so far, that's very few for a player with that level of athleticism. Modern day Joey Graham comes to mind. People would often crap on OG for falling all over himself anytime he tried to create but the difference between the 2 is still massive at this point and OG gets a lot more dunks as well.

Agbaji is also only 6'5, and has 300 career made shots. 46 out of 300 actually seems pretty high to me. Dunks are 6.2% of Agabji's arsenal. RJ Barrett is 4%, Barnes 8%, Siakam was 4%, etc.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
PushDaRock
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,372

Post#262 » by PushDaRock » Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:38 pm

Psubs wrote:
PushDaRock wrote:Might as well give him the offseason in our program to see how he looks next season. One thing that stands out that likely can't be fixed though is that his strength and athleticism doesn't translate over offensively as there is a lack of fluidity in how he moves. One of the stats I like to look to gauge how functional the athleticism is on the court is dunks, Ochai only has 36 dunks in his entire career so far, that's very few for a player with that level of athleticism. Modern day Joey Graham comes to mind. People would often crap on OG for falling all over himself anytime he tried to create but the difference between the 2 is still massive at this point and OG gets a lot more dunks as well.

I think he's fine as a POA defender off the bench that can hit the corner 3 and slash to the hoop. He'll be an MLE level player that will play another 10 years because he's cheap and useful off the bench. I think he pairs well with JFL in a bench backcourt.

PG JFL
SG Agbaji
SF Dillon Jones
PF Jontay
C Olynyk - Ivisic

Can dump Nwora and McDaniels. Maybe get two 2nd rounders for Boucher?

It's way too early to say he'll play 10 years in the league. If he doesn't improve anymore, it's more likely he's out of the league a year or 2 after his rookie deal. You need to be an all world defender to still play being this inefficient in a limited offensive role. Right now he only does 2 things at an average to above average level which is his Man D and corner 3 shooting, everything else is far below average.
PushDaRock
Lead Assistant

Post#263 » by PushDaRock » Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:47 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:

Agbaji is also only 6'5, and has 300 career made shots. 46 out of 300 actually seems pretty high to me. Dunks are 6.2% of Agabji's arsenal. RJ Barrett is 4%, Barnes 8%, Siakam was 4%, etc.

It's 36 not 46. Those guys can also score in different ways and create their own shot. If you're a limited offensive player and your athleticism is your calling card, you should be able to use it more often. If I were to guess, the vast majority of Ochai's dunks are also off lobs, he just doesn't have much bounce with the ball in his hands.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,166

Post#264 » by YogurtProducer » Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:49 pm

PushDaRock wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:

It's 36 not 46. Those guys can also score in different ways and create their own shot. If you're a limited offensive player and your athleticism is your calling card, you should be able to use it more often. If I were to guess, the vast majority of Ochai's dunks are also off lobs, he just doesn't have much bounce with the ball in his hands.

Sorry my bad. 36 is correct, but the 6.2% is right.

I don't think his issue is his athleticism though. His skills with ball handling are a bit behind which limits his ability to get where he wants. There are times you can see his leaping ability come out on rebounds or block attempts. 1 block per game (per 36) for a 6'5 guy is pretty solid.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
PushDaRock
Lead Assistant

Post#265 » by PushDaRock » Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:00 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
PushDaRock wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:Agbaji is also only 6'5, and has 300 career made shots. 46 out of 300 actually seems pretty high to me. Dunks are 6.2% of Agabji's arsenal. RJ Barrett is 4%, Barnes 8%, Siakam was 4%, etc.

Sorry my bad. 36 is correct, but the 6.2% is right.

I don't think his issue is his athleticism though. His skills with ball handling are a bit behind which limits his ability to get where he wants. There are times you can see his leaping ability come out on rebounds or block attempts. 1 block per game (per 36) for a 6'5 guy is pretty solid.

Yeah that's kind of the point, he's an explosive athlete and top tier as a run/jump athlete in the NBA but it doesn't translate over much on the basketball court.
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM
And1: 7,728

Post#266 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:03 pm

Modern day Joey Graham seems about right.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,884

Post#267 » by LoveMyRaps » Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:07 pm

He was good last night.

Slow steps.

Excited about his growth. He'll figure it out!
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
PoundTown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,155

Post#268 » by PoundTown » Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:44 pm

Harcore Fenton Mun wrote:Modern day Joey Graham seems about right.

Joey was a 4 man in college that had to translate to a 3 and didn’t have skill set or smarts to do so.

Ochai was 3 point sniper in college that hasn’t been able to translate that to the NBA 3 point line. If Ochai can extend his range a bit, he will be a good bench 3 and D guy. His D is much better than joeys, who wasn’t really that strong laterally. In todays take, Joey would be able to play the 4 size wise, but the 4 is expected to be much more skilled nowadays as well, so not sure that would have mattered. He liked taking midrange shots.
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM

Post#269 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:52 pm

PoundTown wrote:

Joey was a 4 man in college that had to translate to a 3 and didn’t have skill set or smarts to do so.

Ochai was 3 point sniper in college that hasn’t been able to translate that to the NBA 3 point line. If Ochai can extend his range a bit, he will be a good bench 3 and D guy. His D is much better than joeys, who wasn’t really that strong laterally. In todays take, Joey would be able to play the 4 size wise, but the 4 is expected to be much more skilled nowadays as well, so not sure that would have mattered. He liked taking midrange shots.

When I say Joey Graham, I mean he's probably the most athletic guy in his town, city, state etc. Very athletic guys who never learned the fundamentals, they just out jump the competition. They they get to the NBA and that stops being an option.

Their great NBA body fools people into thinking they will be great NBA players, but that's not the case.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,884

Post#270 » by LoveMyRaps » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:45 pm

Bro why did I randomly have a dream of Ochai going off for 24 points last night...

Woke up confused. But I'm a firm believer in his potential now. After what I saw last night in my dreams, I now understand why Masai got him. I see the vision!
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,786

Post#271 » by Dennis 37 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:58 pm

PoundTown wrote:

Indeed. His best games were when Bosh was out and he played the 4. In hindsight should have traded Bosh for a quality 3.
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
Blazing_royale
General Manager
And1: 1,983

Post#272 » by Blazing_royale » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:21 am

26 minutes 0 points. Slow down there guys.
Any Pokémon fans out there? Check out my Youtube channel jchucollection
Ackshun
General Manager
And1: 4,603

Post#273 » by Ackshun » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:32 am

Blazing_royale wrote:26 minutes 0 points. Slow down there guys.

He took 3 shots.

Who cares
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM

Post#274 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:34 am

Ackshun wrote:

He took 3 shots.

Who cares

He's our offensive stopper.
Blazing_royale
General Manager
And1: 1,983

Post#275 » by Blazing_royale » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:48 am

Harcore Fenton Mun wrote:
Ackshun wrote:

He took 3 shots.

Who cares

don't think he was stopping anybody :lol:
Any Pokémon fans out there? Check out my Youtube channel jchucollection
TheRaptor!
General Manager
And1: 5,549

Post#276 » by TheRaptor! » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:50 am

Blazing_royale wrote:
Harcore Fenton Mun wrote:
Ackshun wrote:
He took 3 shots.

Who cares

don't think he was stopping anybody :lol:

He was stopping someone.

Himself
PushDaRock
Lead Assistant

Post#277 » by PushDaRock » Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:05 am

Ackshun wrote:

He took 3 shots.

Who cares

I mean the fact he only took 3 shots is the alarming part. This wasn't 26 minutes played surrounded by superstars where 3 shots is acceptable, he was playing with a bunch of scrubs and not taking advantage of his opportunity.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,059

Post#278 » by ItsDanger » Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:34 am

Maybe he can play the Patrick McCaw role for Darko.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
HangTime
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,593

Post#279 » by HangTime » Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:45 am

I want to see what he does over the summer before deciding anything on him... Maybe put him on the Gradey 2 week plan and see what happens.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,285

Post#280 » by Scase » Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:53 am

HangTime wrote:I want to see what he does over the summer before deciding anything on him... Maybe put him on the Gradey 2 week plan and see what happens.

I'm not willing to judge anyone too harshly for their performances, based on the lineups we've been throwing out there. Except Bruce Brown and McDaniels, **** those guys, they are awful lol.
Props TZ!

Return to Toronto Raptors