ImageImageImageImageImage

A new chapter - Updated Lineups and Salaries

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

phanman
General Manager
And1: 8,393

Re: A new chapter - Updated Lineups and Salaries 

Post#21 » by phanman » Thu Feb 8, 2024 11:49 pm

I wonder if we'll go the OKC route and be the new dumping ground for bad contracts in exchange for draft picks. We already have a solid group of young guys to develop internally and with a weak free agent class this year we will need to pay somebody with the cap floor that teams need to hit.

I don't even mind having Boucher's 10.8m or Jaden's 4.8m on the books because we still need tradeable contracts to make future moves. Olynyk is also extension eligible so that should add another ~10-12m on the books.
KL78192020
RealGM
And1: 14,440

Post#22 » by KL78192020 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 12:42 am

phanman wrote:I wonder if we'll go the OKC route and be the new dumping ground for bad contracts in exchange for draft picks. We already have a solid group of young guys to develop internally and with a weak free agent class this year we will need to pay somebody with the cap floor that teams need to hit.

I don't even mind having Boucher's 10.8m or Jaden's 4.8m on the books because we still need tradeable contracts to make future moves. Olynyk is also extension eligible so that should add another ~10-12m on the books.

They did the opposite. Trade a pick for player, they will not go down the OKC route. OKC would've traded a current pick for a future pick if they didn't want to many picks in one draft.
Lord_Zedd
RealGM
And1: 19,793

Post#23 » by Lord_Zedd » Fri Feb 9, 2024 1:02 am

phanman wrote:I wonder if we'll go the OKC route and be the new dumping ground for bad contracts in exchange for draft picks. We already have a solid group of young guys to develop internally and with a weak free agent class this year we will need to pay somebody with the cap floor that teams need to hit.

I sure hope we do, but our past experiences with cap space makes me believe otherwise. Fully expecting Masai and Bobby to have photo op with some random overpaid role player at (now) 6:01pm EST this coming summer.

Next year is really our only time we'll have cap space again with Barnes max extension coming in the following year.
phanman
General Manager
And1: 8,393

Post#24 » by phanman » Fri Feb 9, 2024 1:09 am

KL78192020 wrote:They did the opposite. Trade a pick for player, they will not go down the OKC route. OKC would've traded a current pick for a future pick if they didn't want to many picks in one draft.

Beggars can't be choosers. OKC operated in a much different climate than the one we are in now. FRPs are scarce and this 2024 pick that was shipped out that has everybody in an uproar is just comical. OKC themselves gave away their 2024 pick to just swap picks with Dallas in 2028.

We didn't NEED to have 3 picks in 2024, so we turned it into a guy that fits the profile of who they would've picked up in Agbaji and a reliable vet that we've always wanted in Olynyk.

Lord_Zedd wrote:
I sure hope we do, but our past experiences with cap space makes me believe otherwise. Fully expecting Masai and Bobby to have photo op with some random overpaid role player at (now) 6:01pm EST this coming summer.

Next year is really our only time we'll have cap space again with Barnes max extension coming in the following year.

We'll see what happens, a lot of the more premier free agents next season wouldn't necessarily be looking to a join a rebuilding squad like ours anyways. If we're looking to sign a shooter at the guard position this off season for example, I'd much rather throw some money to try and pry Grayson Allen from Phoenix than try to resign Gary.
hyper316
RealGM
And1: 9,672

Post#25 » by hyper316 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 1:28 am

I wanted Kelly on raptors for many years since Baynes days, finally happened. Sign him and let Poeltl go offseason, draft a prospect C

Ochai is interesting, discount OG
Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,890

Re: A new chapter - Lineups and Salaries 

Post#26 » by Kingsway_fan » Fri Feb 9, 2024 4:23 am

Duffman100 wrote:
Kingsway_fan wrote:
artsncrafts wrote:how did McDaniels get 2 years $9M :lol:

Masai.. the master at overpaying scrubs.... pathetic.

It's 4.5 million. like 3% of the cap?

What's pathetic is calling it pathetic. It's really strange how much vitriol you have. :lol:

Yeah, and nine million over two years for a total bench warming old stiff is chump change?, lol along with Temple, Thad... etc... you don't see winning franchises doing this.... they pay for talent... not cheer leaders...

All these Masai fan boys ... he can do no wrong .... so glad I no longer am a season ticket holder....
Statistician MK
Junior
And1: 426

Post#27 » by Statistician MK » Fri Feb 9, 2024 4:26 am

brownbobcat wrote:The caphold for Indy's FRP (and possibly Toronto's if top-6) also has to be factored in. So that's anywhere from 3M to 10M more.

For the next 2024-2025 season, for (e.g.) the 6th pick, the Rookie scale goes:
$6,258,900
$6,571,900
$6,885,000
$8,730,180

$12,519,078

The salaries in red are 'Team Option', and in green is 'Qualifying Offer'

Also, first round picks can sign "for as much as 120% of the rookie scale".
We all have different opinions, and that is one thing that makes this forum great.
brownbobcat
Head Coach
And1: 3,277

Post#28 » by brownbobcat » Fri Feb 9, 2024 6:00 am

Statistician MK wrote:
brownbobcat wrote:The caphold for Indy's FRP (and possibly Toronto's if top-6) also has to be factored in. So that's anywhere from 3M to 10M more.

For the next 2024-2025 season, for (e.g.) the 6th pick, the Rookie scale goes:
$6,258,900
$6,571,900
$6,885,000
$8,730,180

$12,519,078

The salaries in red are 'Team Option', and in green is 'Qualifying Offer'

Also, first round picks can sign "for as much as 120% of the rookie scale".

Yes, I'm saying the range is because of the uncertainty about whether they're getting 1 vs 2 picks and which slot it is.
JB7
Analyst
And1: 1,309

Post#29 » by JB7 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 6:16 am

Statistician MK wrote:OUT: P. Siakam, OG Anunoby, P. Achiuwa, M. Flynn, D. Schroder, T. Young, O. Porter Jr., K. Lewis Jr.
IN: I. Quickley, RJ Barrett, B. Brown, J. Nwora, K. Olynyk, O. Agbaji, 2 First Round Picks
, S. Dinwiddie (waived)

Lineups ↓↓↓

PG - Immanuel Quickley
SG - Gary Trent Jr. / Bruce Brown
SF - RJ Barrett
PF - Scottie Barnes
C - Jakob Poeltl

PG - Scottie Barnes
SG - Ochai Agbaji / Gradey Dick
SF - Gradey Dick / Jordan Nwora
PF - Bruce Brown
C - Kelly Olynyk

PG - Javon Freeman-Liberty
SG - Garrett Temple
SF - Jordan Nwora
PF - Chris Boucher
C - Jontay Porter

Updated roster and salaries ↓↓↓

Draft picks... ??? ... Maybe ↓↓↓

The interesting thing with these recent deals, that has not been mentioned much, is how much bigger our rotation gets again. Adding KO and OA adds size and length, but possibly shifting BB to PG, rather than the small guard lineup when BB was with IQ or Dennis, should be a benefit defensively. Not having all those minutes of IQ & DS sharing the backcourt will also hopefully help the D.
JB7
Analyst
And1: 1,309

Post#30 » by JB7 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 6:22 am

YogurtProducer wrote:My guess is we trade Brown, extend GTJ to a similar # to what he is at now, and we use our cap space on some bench depth before signing IQ when his cap hold is lower.

If Wiggins regains his form, and GSW still decides to drop him over Klay, then I could see BB's contract being a huge benefit this summer before the draft.

I don't see them extending GTJ. Especially with them bringing in OA. Some team will offer GTJ something under the MLE, because they will be enticed by his 3pt shooting.
TGM
Assistant Coach
And1: 718

Post#31 » by TGM » Fri Feb 9, 2024 6:25 am

Bridges would be a great fit for us and will come at a discount I think this off-season. If we walked away with Claxton and Bridges that would be a pretty crazy outcome. With that being said the more reaslitc outcome I see is there will be some guys that emerge and we offer sheet the crap out of those guys with short term contract but high dollar amount. Exactly what Indy did with Brown and Houston with Fred
hyper316
RealGM
And1: 9,672

Post#32 » by hyper316 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 6:32 am

Depth chart I want to see

IQ/JFL
RJ/Trent
Agbaji/Dick
Barnes/Nwora
Olynyk/Poeltl

Bruce can sit. No point playing him, he's not here long term, his value is not his play and it's team option.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,574

Post#33 » by DreamTeam09 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 7:11 am

Claxton makes a lot of sense. 4yrs 90. Then send Jakob out west somewhere, maybe to LA for Rui + a 1st or Keldon Johnson + 2 2nds off the top of my head.

In Raptor Ball I Trust
Appostis
Veteran
And1: 2,210

Post#34 » by Appostis » Fri Feb 9, 2024 7:16 am

Duffman100 wrote:
Kingsway_fan wrote:
artsncrafts wrote:how did McDaniels get 2 years $9M :lol:

Masai.. the master at overpaying scrubs.... pathetic.

It's 4.5 million. like 3% of the cap?

What's pathetic is calling it pathetic. It's really strange how much vitriol you have. :lol:

It's called reaching. People getting desperate to find whatever reason they can to keep crying about the team.

It was a swing on a potential good defensive wing at a nothing contract..it was viewed as a win last year.
Appostis
Veteran

Post#35 » by Appostis » Fri Feb 9, 2024 7:22 am

Team is going to end up trading CB and BB.

I think KO and potentially Gary get resigned.

Toss 25 mil at IQ, and see where the draft picks fall.

Cap space wise...going be alot of teams who are desperate to duck the tax bill. Take advantage of them and get some assets to rent space for a year or 2
Appostis
Veteran

Post#36 » by Appostis » Fri Feb 9, 2024 7:22 am

DreamTeam09 wrote:Claxton makes a lot of sense. 4yrs 90. Then send Jakob out west somewhere, maybe to LA for Rui + a 1st or Keldon Johnson + 2 2nds off the top of my head.

Is he even a upgrade of Jakob? Really?
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,574

Post#37 » by DreamTeam09 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 7:31 am

Appostis wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:Claxton makes a lot of sense. 4yrs 90. Then send Jakob out west somewhere, maybe to LA for Rui + a 1st or Keldon Johnson + 2 2nds off the top of my head.

You're paying for youth/quality

In Raptor Ball I Trust
Appostis
Veteran

Post#38 » by Appostis » Fri Feb 9, 2024 7:41 am

DreamTeam09 wrote:
Appostis wrote:

You're paying for youth/quality

Paying for youth! Great!

...shame he isn't any better than the player we have...
Shame the player we have on a long reasonable contract is 28 and is still going be good for what...6? 7 years?

I don't understand the obsession with this guy he's not a upgrade...but people want to pay more..
Mak
RealGM
And1: 4,575

Post#39 » by Mak » Fri Feb 9, 2024 11:36 am

Appostis wrote:

I don't think its enough of an upgrade for what Claxton will want to make, then we have to worry about moving Jakob? We need a 5 that can space the floor.
Statistician MK
Junior
And1: 426

Post#40 » by Statistician MK » Fri Feb 9, 2024 6:56 pm

DreamTeam09 wrote:Claxton makes a lot of sense. 4yrs 90. Then send Jakob out west somewhere...

I'd rather have Poeltl and Olynyk in the roster, than Claxton and some bench player!
We all have different opinions, and that is one thing that makes this forum great.

Return to Toronto Raptors