ImageImageImageImageImage

Head Coach isn't it

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

RoteSchroder
Junior
And1: 205

Re: Head Coach isn't it 

Post#281 » by RoteSchroder » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:48 am

TimeForChange wrote:I don't know how the players show up next season and put in any effort on defense after seeing how they are playing right now.

edit: jack armstrong is talking about the culture darko is instilling in this team? :lol:

Good thing they won't show up next season and will be back in the G-league
TimeForChange
Sixth Man
And1: 1,404

Post#282 » by TimeForChange » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:50 am

RoteSchroder wrote:
TimeForChange wrote:I don't know how the players show up next season and put in any effort on defense after seeing how they are playing right now.

edit: jack armstrong is talking about the culture darko is instilling in this team? :lol:

Gradey needs some more time in the G-League, so you're probably right
RoteSchroder
Junior

Post#283 » by RoteSchroder » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:54 am

TimeForChange wrote:
RoteSchroder wrote:

Yeah, but imagine thinking that Scottie/RJ/IQ/Poeltl aren't gonna show up next season just because 7 players who won't be on the roster/in the line up next season + 2 offensive bench players (one being a rookie) + GTJr got blown out
TimeForChange
Sixth Man

Post#284 » by TimeForChange » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:57 am

RoteSchroder wrote:
TimeForChange wrote:
RoteSchroder wrote:

Yeah, but imagine thinking that Scottie/RJ/IQ/Poeltl aren't gonna show up next season just because 7 players who won't be on the roster/in the line up next season + 2 offensive bench players (one being a rookie) + GTJr got blown out

I am sure guys like Scottie/RJ/IQ/Poeltl are appreciating all of the amazing coaching that the Raptors players are receiving during practice and are loving how Darko is holding players accountable for not playing a lick of defense.
RoteSchroder
Junior

Post#285 » by RoteSchroder » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:03 am

TimeForChange wrote:
RoteSchroder wrote:
TimeForChange wrote:Gradey needs some more time in the G-League, so you're probably right

I am sure guys like Scottie/RJ/IQ/Poeltl are appreciating all of the amazing coaching that the Raptors players are receiving during practice and are loving how Darko is holding players accountable for not playing a lick of defense.

focus has been on offense this season, team is tanking, more than half of the line-up is G-league fodder, the remaining rotation players are already poor defenders

not sure why you got your panties in a bunch
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,144

Post#286 » by Chandan » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:13 am

RoteSchroder wrote:
TimeForChange wrote:
RoteSchroder wrote:

focus has been on offense this season, team is tanking, more than half of the line-up is G-league fodder, the remaining rotation players are already poor defenders

dont know how that is an excuse. Every team focus on SOMETHING every year. Focusing on offense in practice doesn't mean defense can be an afterthought. You can improve on more than 1 thing at once.
TimeForChange
Sixth Man

Post#287 » by TimeForChange » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:18 am

Chandan wrote:
RoteSchroder wrote:
TimeForChange wrote:

dont know how that is an excuse. Every team focus on SOMETHING every year. Focusing on offense in practice doesn't mean defense can be an afterthought. You can improve on more than 1 thing at once.

HiJinx went to one practice and now everyone is using that as an excuse as to why no one is being held accountable for how they are playing defensively.

Raptor fans carrying the water for this organization will never get old :lol:
Chandan
RealGM

Post#288 » by Chandan » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:21 am

TimeForChange wrote:
Chandan wrote:
RoteSchroder wrote:

HiJinx went to one practice and now everyone is using that as an excuse as to why no one is being held accountable for how they are playing defensively.

Remember this coaching staff can make Scottie/OG/Siakam/Poeltl looked average defensively.
TimeForChange
Sixth Man

Post#289 » by TimeForChange » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:21 am

Chandan wrote:
TimeForChange wrote:
Chandan wrote:

Remember this coaching staff can make Scottie/OG/Siakam/Poeltl looked average defensively.

but next year man...next year they will look so much better after drafting anthony bennet in the first round :lol:
CazOnReal
Senior
And1: 445

Post#290 » by CazOnReal » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:37 am

Yes, the defense is a problem.

Yes, Darko is partially responsible for the effort and they do need to turn this around in the offseason/next season. Regardless of who is/are the Raptors draft/offseason addition(s).

No, he is not solely to blame especially when the team is now officially eliminated from even making the play-in and they're missing their best defenders/they have f*ckall to work with in terms of their forward/wing depth.

Like, the fact that you could argue Gradey Dick is now the best defender amongst the healthy players on the team is a testament to how bad of a hand he has to work with right now. Effort can only get you so far given the talent he has to work with. And it doesn't help how small the team is without a true center.
RoteSchroder
Junior

Post#291 » by RoteSchroder » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:37 am

Chandan wrote:
TimeForChange wrote:
Chandan wrote:

Siakam's a poor defender and team was already starting to drop off with Nurse. Schroder's also a huge drop off defensively from FVV.

It was also pretty clear the focus was on development this season and that Darko wanted to install his ball movement heavy offense. Development takes years and many players never pick it up. Not sure why you expect journeymen like Nwora or G-leaguers who have been only here for 10 days to turn into Gary Payton on D. You guys seem pretty delusional.

Whatever you think, nothing you guys said take away from my original point. No one's quitting next year because a bunch of G-league scrubs sucked on defense this game. Please counter my point instead of crying and raging about boring, minuscule problems.
HiJiNX
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 12,167

Post#292 » by HiJiNX » Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:57 pm

Man I’m out here catching strays lmao. I didn’t do nothing but post what I saw haha.
not strong, only aggresive cuz the power ain't directed/ that's why, we are subjected to the will of the oppressive
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,808

Post#293 » by Johnny Bball » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:46 pm

HiJiNX wrote:Man I’m out here catching strays lmao. I didn’t do nothing but post what I saw haha.

Previously banned posters just being bitter with nothing better to do.
islandboy53
Pro Prospect
And1: 499

Post#294 » by islandboy53 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:36 pm

RoteSchroder wrote:
TimeForChange wrote:
RoteSchroder wrote:

I mean, what are you going to do - bench Brown and Trent and give their minutes to McDaniels and Gueye?
Chandan
RealGM

Post#295 » by Chandan » Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:00 pm

HiJiNX wrote:Man I’m out here catching strays lmao. I didn’t do nothing but post what I saw haha.

nah we all still love you :lol:
It's never the opinions that grinds people. It's the delivery.
HiJiNX
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 12,167

Post#296 » by HiJiNX » Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:28 am

Chandan wrote:

nah we all still love you :lol:
It's never the opinions that grinds people. It's the delivery.

Haha it’s all good. Tbh, I didn’t expect that post to go as well as it did. I thought I was gonna get panned for saying something positive about our coach.
not strong, only aggresive cuz the power ain't directed/ that's why, we are subjected to the will of the oppressive
ruckus
RealGM
And1: 11,283

Post#297 » by ruckus » Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:57 pm

Chandan wrote:
TimeForChange wrote:
Chandan wrote:

A bit of cause for optimism. The Scottie/OG/Pascal/Poeltl had a defensive efficiency of 115.7 in 406 minutes with an ORTG of 112.0. Not good at all.

The "new core" lineup of Scottie, RJ, IQ and Poeltl had a DRTG of 108.6 in 234 minutes and a ORTG of 119.4.

Take with a grain of salt because of the small sample size but there is something there to look forward to next season if Scottie, RJ and IQ (and Gradey) improve as expected.
islandboy53
Pro Prospect
And1: 499

Post#298 » by islandboy53 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:44 pm

ruckus wrote:
Chandan wrote:
TimeForChange wrote:HiJinx went to one practice and now everyone is using that as an excuse as to why no one is being held accountable for how they are playing defensively.

A bit of cause for optimism. The Scottie/OG/Pascal/Poeltl had a defensive efficiency of 115.7 in 406 minutes with an ORTG of 112.0. Not good at all.

The "new core" lineup of Scottie, RJ, IQ and Poeltl had a DRTG of 108.6 in 234 minutes and a ORTG of 119.4.

Take with a grain of salt because of the small sample size but there is something there to look forward to next season if Scottie, RJ and IQ (and Gradey) improve as expected.

Indeed. There's lots to look forward to, but I fully expect somer of the usual suspects to explain with a straight face that these numbers are either wrong or meaningless, and there's actually nothing to look forward to. Fun times.
Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,756

Post#299 » by Badonkadonk » Tue Apr 9, 2024 3:43 pm

Nice writeup from Koreen on Year 1 Darko:
https://theathletic.com/5400465/2024/04/09/darko-rajakovic-raptors-coach-rookie-season/?source=emp-shared-article

Love this KO quote near the start
“I’ve been on some teams where it’s the end of the year, you’re losing, whatever. You don’t practice,” Raptors centre Kelly Olynyk said Monday. “You don’t watch film and kind of just pack it in. You roll (the ball) out there in the game and kind of go through the motions.

“But that hasn’t been the case here at all. We watched more film on that losing streak than we did when we win or whatever it is. (Head coach Darko Rajaković) is continuing to hold people accountable, keep people honest, continue to build habits for the young guys and as a team, and that’s big. You’ve kind of seen that in the last few games.”

His relentlessness is a huge positive in a development environment where the team is trying to establish a culture.

Temple had some interesting insight on his communication and transparency:
In the communication department, 14-year veteran Garrett Temple said Rajaković is the first coach in his career to outline to his team before a game who he expects to be in and out of a rotation in the first half, always noting that things could change in the second half (because of injuries or foul issues).

“That gives players, in my opinion, peace, a sense of calm,” Temple said. “There’s no anxiety. I think that’s good, especially for young players. … A lot of old-school guys don’t think young players deserve to know, (that they should) just be ready regardless.”

Koreen himself was actually pretty neutral on assessing Darko's first year overall, citing some positive signs (eg. team didn't fall apart or turn on each other during the massive losing streak), but pretty much saying it's impossible to know given the weirdness of the year.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,287

Post#300 » by Scase » Tue Apr 9, 2024 4:01 pm

Badonkadonk wrote:Nice writeup from Koreen on Year 1 Darko:
https://theathletic.com/5400465/2024/04/09/darko-rajakovic-raptors-coach-rookie-season/?source=emp-shared-article

Love this KO quote near the start
“I’ve been on some teams where it’s the end of the year, you’re losing, whatever. You don’t practice,” Raptors centre Kelly Olynyk said Monday. “You don’t watch film and kind of just pack it in. You roll (the ball) out there in the game and kind of go through the motions.

“But that hasn’t been the case here at all. We watched more film on that losing streak than we did when we win or whatever it is. (Head coach Darko Rajaković) is continuing to hold people accountable, keep people honest, continue to build habits for the young guys and as a team, and that’s big. You’ve kind of seen that in the last few games.”

His relentlessness is a huge positive in a development environment where the team is trying to establish a culture.

Temple had some interesting insight on his communication and transparency:
In the communication department, 14-year veteran Garrett Temple said Rajaković is the first coach in his career to outline to his team before a game who he expects to be in and out of a rotation in the first half, always noting that things could change in the second half (because of injuries or foul issues).

“That gives players, in my opinion, peace, a sense of calm,” Temple said. “There’s no anxiety. I think that’s good, especially for young players. … A lot of old-school guys don’t think young players deserve to know, (that they should) just be ready regardless.”

Koreen himself was actually pretty neutral on assessing Darko's first year overall, citing some positive signs (eg. team didn't fall apart or turn on each other during the massive losing streak), but pretty much saying it's impossible to know given the weirdness of the year.

This is the culture you want a HC to instill. No matter the case, win, lose, tank, compete, contender, there is always something to learn.

I like the things you see and hear about Darko, hope he blossoms into a great coach with us.
Props TZ!

Return to Toronto Raptors