ImageImageImageImageImage

Head Coach isn't it

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

cbosh4mvp
Suspended
And1: 805

Re: Head Coach isn't it 

Post#221 » by cbosh4mvp » Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:31 am

My opinion on Darko is that I think he is an exceptional trainer. It shows by how respected he is within the NBA from coaches/players. I always catch young players showing gratitude/respect to Darko as though he helped them before - he is a likeable guy. However, I feel these are perfect traits of an assistant coach.I say this in a positive way because I feel as a player, Darko is the guy you would want in your corner when you're alone in the gym working on your game. He is that guy who will be with you till the end, and when you finally achieve your goal, is the one you want to give that big hug too. Nonetheless, hes a first year head coach and has potential. The Raptors need him to take us to where Casey took us before the X and O's guy takes us to the promised land (like NN).
dTox
RealGM
And1: 15,600

Post#222 » by dTox » Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:00 pm

dagger wrote:Some fans at the game last night were booing the team, and I get it - it was hard to watch, but with four starters out, plus Boucher and Carton out, Porter out in the second half, no point guard, no backup big, I am really not sure what people expect. This isn't fully intentional tanking - the absences are all 100% legitimate. We're basically running a G League team with a bunch of guys on one year contracts showcasing themselves, there is no team play, no familiarity with each other. It's a bad season gotten worse because of unfortunate circumstances and bad injury luck.

I agree, however, the team did not do themselves any favor by keeping the prices of tix so jacked up, especially for the fans who bought them before the tank had been green lighted.
TBZ for the win
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,634

Post#223 » by Fairview4Life » Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:15 pm

dTox wrote:
dagger wrote:Some fans at the game last night were booing the team, and I get it - it was hard to watch, but with four starters out, plus Boucher and Carton out, Porter out in the second half, no point guard, no backup big, I am really not sure what people expect. This isn't fully intentional tanking - the absences are all 100% legitimate. We're basically running a G League team with a bunch of guys on one year contracts showcasing themselves, there is no team play, no familiarity with each other. It's a bad season gotten worse because of unfortunate circumstances and bad injury luck.

I agree, however, the team did not do themselves any favor by keeping the prices of tix so jacked up, especially for the fans who bought them before the tank had been green lighted.

I have some bad news. They will keep increasing ticket prices until people stop buying them.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
bape_lovers
RealGM
And1: 17,914

Post#224 » by bape_lovers » Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:48 pm

dude thats basic economy that ticket prices raise base on inflation.

dTox wrote:

Credit to JaysRule, Detective
gerrit4
Head Coach
And1: 3,195

Post#225 » by gerrit4 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:13 pm

cbosh4mvp wrote:My opinion on Darko is that I think he is an exceptional trainer. It shows by how respected he is within the NBA from coaches/players. I always catch young players showing gratitude/respect to Darko as though he helped them before - he is a likeable guy. However, I feel these are perfect traits of an assistant coach.I say this in a positive way because I feel as a player, Darko is the guy you would want in your corner when you're alone in the gym working on your game. He is that guy who will be with you till the end, and when you finally achieve your goal, is the one you want to give that big hug too. Nonetheless, hes a first year head coach and has potential. The Raptors need him to take us to where Casey took us before the X and O's guy takes us to the promised land (like NN).

I feel the same way. I mean, he's young enough that he could evolve into an X's and O's coach (especially when we have a better roster), or have an assistant who's an ace on the X's & O's.

While he's certainly done some good stuff this year (development, more ball movement, seems like a better culture guy than Nurse), he's clearly failed in the sense of helping the team win games. Not that I think that Red Auerbach was getting this team to the playoffs, but it was pretty rare we ever saw them outperform their talent. I'm hopeful that if he does stick around, next year he'll be better.
dTox
RealGM
And1: 15,600

Post#226 » by dTox » Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:31 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:
dTox wrote:

I have some bad news. They will keep increasing ticket prices until people stop buying them.

I don't disagree
TBZ for the win
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,285

Post#227 » by Scase » Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:46 pm

gerrit4 wrote:
cbosh4mvp wrote:My opinion on Darko is that I think he is an exceptional trainer. It shows by how respected he is within the NBA from coaches/players. I always catch young players showing gratitude/respect to Darko as though he helped them before - he is a likeable guy. However, I feel these are perfect traits of an assistant coach.I say this in a positive way because I feel as a player, Darko is the guy you would want in your corner when you're alone in the gym working on your game. He is that guy who will be with you till the end, and when you finally achieve your goal, is the one you want to give that big hug too. Nonetheless, hes a first year head coach and has potential. The Raptors need him to take us to where Casey took us before the X and O's guy takes us to the promised land (like NN).

I feel the same way. I mean, he's young enough that he could evolve into an X's and O's coach (especially when we have a better roster), or have an assistant who's an ace on the X's & O's.

While he's certainly done some good stuff this year (development, more ball movement, seems like a better culture guy than Nurse), he's clearly failed in the sense of helping the team win games. Not that I think that Red Auerbach was getting this team to the playoffs, but it was pretty rare we ever saw them outperform their talent. I'm hopeful that if he does stick around, next year he'll be better.

I think this is the key misunderstanding, the primary focus is not to win games now.

We've had the current presumed core, for less than 30 total games. Couple that with virtually zero real practice time, outside of the ASG break.

As Hijinx mentioned in his thread, we are coaching basic fundamentals of the offensive system to this team right now. I think expecting them to outplay their talent is a bit too early of an expectation. Even with that said, RJ is absolutely playing outside his talent, he has had a significant improvement to the efficiency of his game, and that is entirely due to the offensive system put in place by Darko.
Props TZ!
disoblige
Head Coach
And1: 793

Post#228 » by disoblige » Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:30 pm

He is obviously been trying to implement this since the start of the season. Guess which team I got this from? Arguably the worst team ever, 23-24 Detroit Pistons. Darko and Monty was using this while in Phoenix and Darko is currently running it for the Raptors.

Above rules says:
1st option: RIM
2nd option: Corner 3
3rd option: Non Corner 3
4th option: Paint 2
5th option: Non Paint 2's
Anything after the last 8's

^Raptors Shots Distribution

"No plan survives contact with the enemy". This is doom to fail against prepared teams. I prefer an offense to be dynamic, leveraging player's strengths and play what the defense is giving them.
johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,665

Post#229 » by johanliebert » Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:36 pm

Those who blame coaches for everything couldn't play or make it through practice. that mindset comes from that type of player. Every coach is a leader and teacher how can you pod boys claim he isnt HC material cause hes a teacher..thats part of his job! Blaming coaches is just low hanging fruit that and rotations or adjustments cause most of this board doesn't understand the game. No coach can win without talent.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,059

Post#230 » by ItsDanger » Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:13 pm

Spoiler:
disoblige wrote:Image

He is obviously been trying to implement this since the start of the season. I prefer the offense to be dynamic, maximizes everyone's strengths and play what the defense is giving them.

Above rules says:

Raptors Shots Distribution

"No plan survives contact with the enemy"

I prefer the term gravity over spacing. Some may view it the same but an offensive player inside the 3 point line can have such strong gravity that it creates more spacing elsewhere especially at the rim.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,856

Post#231 » by nikster » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:19 am

disoblige wrote:Image

He is obviously been trying to implement this since the start of the season. Guess which team I got this from? Arguably the worst team ever, 23-24 Detroit Pistons. Darko and Monty was using this while in Phoenix and Darko is currently running it for the Raptors.

Above rules says:

^Raptors Shots Distribution

"No plan survives contact with the enemy". This is doom to fail against prepared teams. I prefer an offense to be dynamic, leveraging player's strengths and play what the defense is giving them.

Isn't that the exact point of this offense?

Raps are also top 3 in passes per game and Detroit is bottom 8 so fail to see how they are using the same offense
disoblige
Head Coach

Post#232 » by disoblige » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:15 pm

nikster wrote:
Raps are also top 3 in passes per game and Detroit is bottom 8 so fail to see how they are using the same offense

Detroit are 19th because they are missing their shots and removed it at some point. This is from Detroit.

https://www.hooperuniversity.com/breakdowns/the-importance-of-playing-point-five-basketball
"This poster featuring their offensive pillars hangs in the Detroit Piston’s locker room"

https://www.reddit.com/r/DetroitPistons/comments/13x9uxt/what_is_this_05_offense_all_about_for_the_phoenix/
This is the Detroit forum.

nikster wrote:Isn't that the exact point of this offense?

No, its in the rules that isos, off the dribble shots and midrange are not welcomed. Clearly want cuts and drive&kick - that's not dynamic. Basing the whole offense on cheesing with cuts and drive will only work for so long. Opponents will eventually adapt. If he imployed this to improve player's habits, the best habit is applying their right tools in the correct situation. This offense isnt it.
ConSarnit
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,680

Post#233 » by ConSarnit » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:31 pm

gerrit4 wrote:

The entire season seems like a complete revamp of what we were doing under Nurse. If the mandate is ball movement/sharing it makes it near impossible to grind out wins based on a possession game. Last year we never turned the ball over so we we’re consistently winning the fga battle by 5 shots. Our offense wasn’t good we just took more shots to make up the difference. Ball movement leads to turnovers and turnovers means lost possessions. It’s probably better for the team long term because the way Nurse gamified our offense isn’t fruitful at the highest levels (though very smart if you want to grind out regular season wins). We’ve also moved on from guys whose games aren’t suited for a ball movement style offense (Schroder, OG and especially Precious and Boucher (who has seen his min reduced)). The new team should be much better suited for Darko’s system as we have effectively upgraded passing at every position. The new core is a much better passing team than the old one.

We had to take a step back to try and move things forwards, at least offensively. We were also due for some losses as we’re leaning more into development and that meant minutes for Flynn (who sucks) and Dick (who sucked at the start of the year). Maybe Darko could have grinded out more win Nurse-ball style (less passing, high min for starters) but I’m not sure that helps us long term.
nikster
RealGM

Post#234 » by nikster » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:18 pm

disoblige wrote:
nikster wrote:

Detroit are 19th because they are missing their shots and removed it at some point. This is from Detroit.

https://www.hooperuniversity.com/breakdowns/the-importance-of-playing-point-five-basketball
"This poster featuring their offensive pillars hangs in the Detroit Piston’s locker room"

https://www.reddit.com/r/DetroitPistons/comments/13x9uxt/what_is_this_05_offense_all_about_for_the_phoenix/

No, its in the rules that isos, off the dribble shots and midrange are not welcomed. Clearly want cuts and drive&kick - that's not dynamic. Basing the whole offense on cheesing with cuts and drive will only work for so long. Opponents will eventually adapt. If he imployed this to improve player's habits, the best habit is applying their tools in the correct situation. This offense isnt it.

At no point in the season were the Pistons moving the ball. Raptors came out averaging
300 passes per game, Detroit 240, with no meaningful change since their season began. Just because you found a poster with similar principles doesn't mean they are doing the same offense, and they clearly never implemented it in the same way. Just making **** up about Detroit
disoblige
Head Coach

Post#235 » by disoblige » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:20 pm

nikster wrote:
disoblige wrote:
nikster wrote:

No, its in the rules that isos, off the dribble shots and midrange are not welcomed. Clearly want cuts and drive&kick - that's not dynamic. Basing the whole offense on cheesing with cuts and drive will only work for so long. Opponents will eventually adapt. If he imployed this to improve player's habits, the best habit is applying their tools in the correct situation. This offense isnt it.

At no point in the season were the Pistons moving the ball. Raptors came out averaging
300 passes per game, Detroit 240, with no meaningful change since their season began. Just because you found a poster with similar principles doesn't mean they are doing the same offense, and they clearly never implemented it in the same way. Just making **** up about Detroit

See the logo or see the caption where this was located on that site. Detroit first 4 games they averaged 28.75 assist. We averaged 27.3 assists in the last 3 games. Like I said, this was abolished at some point when they realized it wasnt working.

nikster
RealGM

Post#236 » by nikster » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:20 pm

ConSarnit wrote:
gerrit4 wrote:

The entire season seems like a complete revamp of what we were doing under Nurse. If the mandate is ball movement/sharing it makes it near impossible to grind out wins based on a possession game. Last year we never turned the ball over so we we’re consistently winning the fga battle by 5 shots. Our offense wasn’t good we just took more shots to make up the difference. Ball movement leads to turnovers and turnovers means lost possessions. It’s probably better for the team long term because the way Nurse gamified our offense isn’t fruitful at the highest levels (though very smart if you want to grind out regular season wins). We’ve also moved on from guys whose games aren’t suited for a ball movement style offense (Schroder, OG and especially Precious and Boucher (who has seen his min reduced)). The new team should be much better suited for Darko’s system as we have effectively upgraded passing at every position. The new core is a much better passing team than the old one.

We had to take a step back to try and move things forwards, at least offensively. We were also due for some losses as we’re leaning more into development and that meant minutes for Flynn (who sucks) and Dick (who sucked at the start of the year). Maybe Darko could have grinded out more win Nurse-ball style (less passing, high min for starters) but I’m not sure that helps us long term.

Also after an initial poor start in October, Raps were about middle of the pack basically offensively until the Siakam trade. Not bad results for a completely revamped system
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM
And1: 7,727

Post#237 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:47 pm

Agbaji shrinks the floor and nobody defends him in the corners. He's the only constant in our starting rotation now, 30 minutes+.

It's clean slate time.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,285

Post#238 » by Scase » Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:04 pm

disoblige wrote:
nikster wrote:
disoblige wrote:

See the logo or see the caption where this was located on that site. Detroit first 4 games they averaged 28.75 assist. We averaged 27.3 assists in the last 3 games. Like I said, this was abolished at some point when they realized it wasnt working.

Yeah man, we're going to use the Pistons as the yardstick to measure what is and isn't working. But, that's cool. Someone will post yet another thing you are objectively wrong about, and you'll just ignore the post.
Props TZ!
islandboy53
Pro Prospect
And1: 499

Post#239 » by islandboy53 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:05 pm

Harcore Fenton Mun wrote:Agbaji shrinks the floor and nobody defends him in the corners. He's the only constant in our starting rotation now, 30 minutes+.

It's clean slate time.

Do you really think Agbaji is getting 30+ minutes with Barnes, Barrett, Quickley and Poeltl in the lineup? Give your head a vigorous shake! That said, this extra run is great development for him that he wouldn't otherwise have. Looking forward to his continued growth, in both the remaining games and the offseason. He'll be a solid part of the rotation next season.
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM
And1: 7,727

Post#240 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:08 pm

islandboy53 wrote:
Harcore Fenton Mun wrote:Agbaji shrinks the floor and nobody defends him in the corners. He's the only constant in our starting rotation now, 30 minutes+.

It's clean slate time.

Do you really think Agbaji is getting 30+ minutes with Barnes, Barrett, Quickley and Poeltl in the lineup? Give your head a vigorous shake! That said, this extra run is great development for him that he wouldn't otherwise have. Looking forward to his continued growth, in both the remaining games and the offseason. He'll be a solid part of the rotation next season.

What does that have to do with his inabilities to hit an NBA three now?

Return to Toronto Raptors