ImageImageImageImageImage

Head Coach isn't it

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

disoblige
Head Coach
And1: 793

Re: Head Coach isn't it 

Post#201 » by disoblige » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:42 pm

islandboy53 wrote:
Appostis wrote:
disoblige wrote:
Who is talking about the last 3 years? Only you. If you can’t say you agree or disagree with his coaching or his schemes then you shouldn’t be posting here just to label people. You think you are so clever for posting statements with hindsight.

....it's pretty clear where he stands.

Is reading hard for you? It's ok to admit ..safe place...

Reading is hard for a lot of folks on here. Still, I recommend that everyone who thinks they know everything there is to know about Darko read this https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2365652

Uneducated people thinks everything they read is real. People dont understand this post is his perspective and opinion an it doesnt make it true. Even if this is true, it supports my point that players dont understand his offensive schemes. Even OG and Siakam commented that they were still learning the new offensive system and the team had a longs way to go.
disoblige
Head Coach

Post#202 » by disoblige » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:56 pm

Appostis wrote:
disoblige wrote:
Scase wrote:No, I'm saying the roster on this team has been dog **** for close to 3 years and blaming a rookie head coach with tons of turn over is such a childish and short-sighted analysis of the situation. Shocker, a rookie coach in his first year isn't Popovich reincarnated.

Who is talking about the last 3 years? Only you. If you can’t say you agree or disagree with his coaching or his schemes then you shouldn’t be posting here just to label people. You think you are so clever for posting statements with hindsight.

disoblige wrote:^ Are you saying Darko is a good/great coach? Then say it.

Scase wrote:No

Edit: Its a two question post.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Post#203 » by dagger » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:19 pm

Some fans at the game last night were booing the team, and I get it - it was hard to watch, but with four starters out, plus Boucher and Carton out, Porter out in the second half, no point guard, no backup big, I am really not sure what people expect. This isn't fully intentional tanking - the absences are all 100% legitimate. We're basically running a G League team with a bunch of guys on one year contracts showcasing themselves, there is no team play, no familiarity with each other. It's a bad season gotten worse because of unfortunate circumstances and bad injury luck.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,290

Post#204 » by Scase » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:50 pm

disoblige wrote:
Appostis wrote:
disoblige wrote:

You obviously can read but dont understand what they mean.

disoblige wrote:^ Are you saying Darko is a good/great coach? Then say it.

Scase wrote:No

Scase wrote:
Blaming all that **** on a coach who is CLEARLY a very good coach

This is just hilarious.

Maybe take that whole post in context.

Nurse lost the locker room because the team he was given was garbage, and he was expected to make gold out of lead. He had no contract extension and clearly wasn't on the same page as the FO, which has proven to be directionless and a waste of time, so he forced wins as best he can to secure his next contract.

Blaming all that **** on a coach who is CLEARLY a very good coach, is just more stupid Masai defending. The distance some of you will go to deflect blame from piss poor FO management is astonishing.

I was referencing Nurse in that post, maybe you need to stop being the RealGM embodiment of your profile pic, and stop living in fantasy land.
Props TZ!
disoblige
Head Coach

Post#205 » by disoblige » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:18 pm

Darko offensive scheme:

-Players are moving more, passing more, and running more possessions through the high post and elbows.
-They've gone from attempting the sixth-most pull-up jumpers per game to the fourth fewest.
-Isolations and post-ups have dipped.
-They're averaging fewer dribbles per touch.

Darko isnt leveraging everyone's strengths but following these standards regardless their skillsets.
raps14
Junior
And1: 522

Post#206 » by raps14 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:36 pm

Offensively I think the team has done a good job considering the team and number of changes that they have had. Defensively however this team has been downright awful even with Siakam and OG. In the offseason Darko and upper management have to change the defensive scheme or fire Pat Delaney and hire someone better, maybe an ex defensive head coach that can also help Darko as a new coach. If Masai doesn't want to go that route and wants immediate results then maybe you hire a proven coach that can at least give you first round of playoffs
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,059

Post#207 » by ItsDanger » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:36 pm

Bottom 7 teams in offensive PPP are the same bottom 7 teams overall in the standings. Raps are the worst since March 1st, with so many missed games, not a surprise. But this confirms you need talent in this league and trying to incorporate a certain style will have marginal impact.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,412

Post#208 » by ForeverTFC » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:18 pm

ItsDanger wrote:Bottom 7 teams in offensive PPP are the same bottom 7 teams overall in the standings. Raps are the worst since March 1st, with so many missed games, not a surprise. But this confirms you need talent in this league and trying to incorporate a certain style will have marginal impact.

YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,166

Post#209 » by YogurtProducer » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:19 pm

ItsDanger wrote:Bottom 7 teams in offensive PPP are the same bottom 7 teams overall in the standings. Raps are the worst since March 1st, with so many missed games, not a surprise. But this confirms you need talent in this league and trying to incorporate a certain style will have marginal impact.

Sheesh I never thought of this...

We need good players to be good?
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
disoblige
Head Coach

Post#210 » by disoblige » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:02 pm

Were we successful this season with two all-stars in Barnes and Siakam? Almost every game I watched had a 20-point deficit, I recalled that we made an effort to rally in virtually every fourth quarter. Realgm was creating a lot of threads about how bad Siakam was.
MiamiSPX
Analyst
And1: 4,083

Post#211 » by MiamiSPX » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:03 pm

Tough season for Darko with all the turmoil surrounding the team.

- 3 of your top 6 players were UFAs (it will be curious to hear if anyone spills the beans in the summer about how this affected the team)
- The 5 end of the bench players were unplayable (Flynn, OPJ, Temple, McD, and Thad to a lesser extent)
- Constant turnover since December 30th. Of the 11 guys that played last night, only 3 were with the team to start the season and 2 of those 3 were new to the team (Dick, McD).
- You were mandated to play Malachi Flynn.

He never stood a chance. He gets a pass on this season.
iBall101
Pro Prospect
And1: 271

Post#212 » by iBall101 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:55 pm

I’ve been reluctant to post about the head coach since it is his first season (as a head coach in the Nba).

However, after last night…. I noticed during the first half, Malik Monk entered the game off the bench. Then, he started slicing & dicing the raptors defence into shreds. Darko calls a timeout, Malik turns to his teammate and said “they’re trash!”

I have to say, the coach has a role in the underachievements of this team. This is not solely on roster construction. It’s obvious peeps
:nod: Masai’s Raptors :nod:

PG: I. Quickley/ T. Horton-Tucker/ J. Freeman
SG: G. Trent Jr./ G. Dick/ B. Brown
SF: R. Barrett/ O. Agbaji / G. Temple
PF: S. Barnes/ T. Lyles/ J. Crowder
C: J. Poeltl/ K. Olynk/ J. Porter
ForeverTFC
RealGM

Post#213 » by ForeverTFC » Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:11 pm

iBall101 wrote:I’ve been reluctant to post about the head coach since it is his first season (as a head coach in the Nba).

However, after last night…. I noticed during the first half, Malik Monk entered the game off the bench. Then, he started slicing & dicing the raptors defence into shreds. Darko calls a timeout, Malik turns to his teammate and said “they’re trash!”

I have to say, the coach has a role in the underachievements of this team. This is not solely on roster construction. It’s obvious peeps

I'm not the biggest Darko fan, but he doesn't run the defense, Delaney does.
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,786

Post#214 » by Dennis 37 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:01 am

disoblige wrote:
islandboy53 wrote:
Appostis wrote:

Reading is hard for a lot of folks on here. Still, I recommend that everyone who thinks they know everything there is to know about Darko read this https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2365652

Uneducated people thinks everything they read is real. People dont understand this post is his perspective and opinion an it doesnt make it true. Even if this is true, it supports my point that players dont understand his offensive schemes. Even OG and Siakam commented that they were still learning the new offensive system and the team had a longs way to go.

Stanley Johnson said it took at least a year to learn Nurse's defence. His defence worked well with the right players.

Hopefully we'll see an effective offence by this time next year.
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,290

Post#215 » by Scase » Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:08 am

disoblige wrote:Darko offensive scheme:

-Players are moving more, passing more, and running more possessions through the high post and elbows.
-They've gone from attempting the sixth-most pull-up jumpers per game to the fourth fewest.
-Isolations and post-ups have dipped.
-They're averaging fewer dribbles per touch.

Darko isnt leveraging everyone's strengths but following these standards regardless their skillsets.

Weird how you posted after my comment that shows how completely wrong you were....yet you didn't respond to it.
Props TZ!
ItsDanger
RealGM

Post#216 » by ItsDanger » Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:23 am

ForeverTFC wrote:

Judging by your comments here, it needs to be clearly spelled out about the lack of offensive talent on this roster and its implications.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
ForeverTFC
RealGM

Post#217 » by ForeverTFC » Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:12 am

ItsDanger wrote:
ForeverTFC wrote:

Judging by your comments here, it needs to be clearly spelled out about the lack of offensive talent on this roster and its implications.

Quote them. Make sure to include the date of the post.
ItsDanger
RealGM

Post#218 » by ItsDanger » Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:52 am

ForeverTFC wrote:
ItsDanger wrote:
ForeverTFC wrote:

Thats good to hear, then you understand the uphill climb they got near term. This is an offense first league now, and you realistically get that at the top of draft. Otherwise rely on luck.
ForeverTFC
RealGM

Post#219 » by ForeverTFC » Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:59 am

ItsDanger wrote:
ForeverTFC wrote:
ItsDanger wrote:Judging by your comments here, it needs to be clearly spelled out about the lack of offensive talent on this roster and its implications.

Thats good to hear, then you understand the uphill climb they got near term. This is an offense first league now, and you realistically get that at the top of draft. Otherwise rely on luck.

I think you've outwitted yourself with your big brain on this one bud.
ruckus
RealGM
And1: 11,283

Post#220 » by ruckus » Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:36 am

It's an extremely small sample size due to the trades, injuries and whatnot but the Poeltl, Barnes, Barrett, Trent, Quickley lineup is lowkey pretty good statistically. Offensive efficiency was good and defensive efficiency was good enough.

While I don't think the team will be world beaters next season, I do think they'll be much better on both ends of the court at least with the main pieces (presumably with Dick in for Trent).

Darko gets an incomplete in terms of a grade. He came into a situation already in flux that got more chaotic as the season progressed. And while he definitely doesn't have the in-game expertise that Nick had, I think he'll get better in that area.

Return to Toronto Raptors