ImageImageImageImageImage

Raptors should announce retiring Vince Carter's jersey soon

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

srhcan
Starter
And1: 1,596

Raptors should announce retiring Vince Carter's jersey soon 

Post#1 » by srhcan » Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:11 pm

Vince Carter is going to hall of fame. He is the one who put Raptors on the map. Raptors should announce retiring his jersey soon. It is the right thing to do.
raptorforlife88
Veteran
And1: 945

Re: Raptors should announce retiring Vince Carter's jersey soon 

Post#2 » by raptorforlife88 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:18 pm

No. It doesn't make any sense to retire him before Lowry.

Lowry is going to be first, he's going to retire soon, and he'll sign a one day as a Raptor to do it.

Everyone knows he's the greatest Raptor of all time and there's no controversy like with VC. He deserves to be first and not VC.

Being the first person on a team to have the jersey retired is a big honor and only one of those two guys deserves that.

I'm not opposed to VC having his jersey retired one day, but he should not and will not be first.
JShuttlesworth
General Manager
And1: 12,856

Post#3 » by JShuttlesworth » Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:23 pm

I'm not of the belief that Vince's number is getting retired, and I don't really think it needs to be retired either. If the Raptors were going to retire it, it would have been done already. Why wait?

I don't think anyone has worn #10 after DeRozan though, and I'm confident Lowry's #7 will be retired
Raptorfan2012
Head Coach
And1: 4,262

Post#4 » by Raptorfan2012 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:28 pm

JShuttlesworth wrote:I'm not of the belief that Vince's number is getting retired, and I don't really think it needs to be retired either. If the Raptors were going to retire it, it would have been done already. Why wait?

I don't think anyone has worn #10 after DeRozan though, and I'm confident Lowry's #7 will be retired

Magic just retired Shaq’s jersey on their 35th anniversary. There is a good chance we may do the same for Vince next season for our 25th. Lowry may still try to play for another year or two.
DemHeavyHands
Sixth Man
And1: 2,725

Post#5 » by DemHeavyHands » Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:28 pm

But then what number would Mo Gay wear??
JShuttlesworth
General Manager
And1: 12,856

Post#6 » by JShuttlesworth » Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:39 pm

Raptorfan2012 wrote:
JShuttlesworth wrote:I'm not of the belief that Vince's number is getting retired, and I don't really think it needs to be retired either. If the Raptors were going to retire it, it would have been done already. Why wait?

Magic just retired Shaq’s jersey on their 35th anniversary. There is a good chance we may do the same for Vince next season for our 25th. Lowry may still try to play for another year or two.

Next year is our 30th if I'm not mistaken

Regardless, I've never really been of the camp that thinks Vince is deserving of getting his number retired, he didn't do enough to warrant it. If it's retired, so be it, but I'd prefer that honour goes to Lowry
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,791

Post#7 » by Dennis 37 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:42 pm

In related news, multiple Raptors fans, who remember more of Vince that just the dunk contest, have a continuous uncontrollable urge to puke.
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
srhcan
Starter
And1: 1,596

Post#8 » by srhcan » Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:43 pm

Why using Lowry as an argument to not honour Vince? We can honour both, one at a time. Lowry can wait, he is still playing. Vince's time is now with him going to hall of fame.
Loyal_Canuck
Sophomore
And1: 235

Post#9 » by Loyal_Canuck » Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:16 pm

This is a no brainer! As much as I like Lowry to receive this honour first , Vince put the team on the map

Maybe Lowry gets a statue
GP2
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,531

Post#10 » by GP2 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:16 pm

srhcan wrote:Why using Lowry as an argument to not honour Vince? We can honour both, one at a time. Lowry can wait, he is still playing. Vince's time is now with him going to hall of fame.

We don't have to cater to Vince. Putting the team on the map just means he was first. Everyone conveniently forgot about us when he left. I feel like Hall of Fame and jersey retirements are handed out too easily.
Dennis 37
RealGM

Post#11 » by Dennis 37 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:21 pm

srhcan wrote:Why using Lowry as an argument to not honour Vince? We can honour both, one at a time. Lowry can wait, he is still playing. Vince's time is now with him going to hall of fame.

Thank you OP for bringing up once again a most painful part of our history. Will there every be a time where this man's name can be forgotten?

The man tanked his trade value and the second he was on the Nets he was his old self. We knew we had been conned. Tanking one's trade value and honour are not things that go together. You do not honour that. Stop all of this, please.
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
Dennis 37
RealGM

Post#12 » by Dennis 37 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:25 pm

Loyal_Canuck wrote:This is a no brainer! As much as I like Lowry to receive this honour first , Vince put the team on the map

Maybe Lowry gets a statue

Stop it with this map ****. The Raptors never had attendance problems before Vince or after. Getting attention from American media benefited the Raptors how? How many star players said to their agents, "I want to play with Vince. Get me to Toronto!"? Not one. Getting on the map means players want to come here. Players did not want to come here because of Vince. We are no more on the map than the Charlotte Hornets or the Portland Trailblazers.
Maxpainmedia:
Dennis 37
RealGM

Post#13 » by Dennis 37 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:28 pm

Raptorfan2012 wrote:

Shaq lead Orlando the the NBA Finals. What year exactly did Vince lead us to the finals?

Stop it. Vince is not Shaq.
Maxpainmedia:
mieshpal
Veteran
And1: 2,006

Post#14 » by mieshpal » Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:33 pm

Dennis 37 wrote:In related news, multiple Raptors fans, who remember more of Vince that just the dunk contest, have a continuous uncontrollable urge to puke.
Yep, it was a different time, but the guy quit on the team and franchise. Will never forget how much he tanked his value and rob Babcock was a fool to even believe his value was that low.

Sent from my Pixel 8 using RealGM mobile app
Dennis 37
RealGM

Post#15 » by Dennis 37 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:35 pm

Go back and tell this crowd you want to retire his jersey. No other star player, having his jersey retired, was ever hated like this. It's like you people have no memory.

Maxpainmedia:
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM
And1: 7,736

Post#16 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:54 pm

Remember when he forced us to massively overpay for Hakeem Olajuwon and Antonio Davis if we wanted him to re-sign back with us? Then he shortly after forced the trade out of town, forcing us to take back crap in trade. Leaving us with a massively over bloated contract situation for most of the decade, and no assets.

If you ever wonder why Bosh had a terrible roster....this was why.
2019nbachamps
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,577

Post#17 » by 2019nbachamps » Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:56 pm

Vince quit on the team and demanded out. We shouldn’t reward that.
TimeForChange
Sixth Man
And1: 1,404

Post#18 » by TimeForChange » Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:10 pm

The raptors should give the worst player on the team every year the number 15 to honour Vince.
SFour
RealGM
And1: 58,560

Post#19 » by SFour » Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:15 pm

It would be a bit weird to honor a player that quit on the franchise over the players that won us our 1st championship

VC knows what he did was wrong, that's why both him and Tmac live with regret up until today....they will always have that "what if" in the back of their minds when they think about the Raptors.
RealGM
And1: 66,481

Post#20 » by 720 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:27 pm

Nah

Return to Toronto Raptors