ImageImageImageImageImage

Raptors should announce retiring Vince Carter's jersey soon

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,641

Re: Raptors should announce retiring Vince Carter's jersey soon 

Post#301 » by Fairview4Life » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:08 am

Corson27 wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:
Corson27 wrote:
There you have it folks, a random guy on Realgm has decided.

You think Vince Carter did enough in Toronto to get voted in to the Hall of Fame? First ballot or otherwise? I think he probably didn’t. You could maybe make the argument that ROY and a gold medal might push him in but no playoff success and only a couple 2nd/3rd team nods isn’t great.

I mean induction solely because of his time in Toronto isn’t how it works….? Perhaps I’m misreading what you’re trying to say. But my point is for his Hall of Fame candidacy, it literally doesn’t matter what you and I on a RealGM message board think lol.

We are talking about whether the Raptors should retire his jersey. Generally teams do that based on the players body of work for that team. Vince being a first ballot hall of fame player does not matter for the raptors retiring his jersey if he didn’t earn that honour playing for the Raptors. None of what we think on any topic here actually matters. Nothing of what we post is going to change his jersey being retired or not. Or the team tanking or not. Or who the teams drafts. It’s a message board. If you don’t want to read things that don’t matter, you can navigate over to some other website. This is RealGM. Nothing matters.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Corson27
Ballboy
And1: 7

Post#302 » by Corson27 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:48 am

Fairview4Life wrote:
Corson27 wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:
You think Vince Carter did enough in Toronto to get voted in to the Hall of Fame? First ballot or otherwise? I think he probably didn’t. You could maybe make the argument that ROY and a gold medal might push him in but no playoff success and only a couple 2nd/3rd team nods isn’t great.

I mean induction solely because of his time in Toronto isn’t how it works….? Perhaps I’m misreading what you’re trying to say. But my point is for his Hall of Fame candidacy, it literally doesn’t matter what you and I on a RealGM message board think lol.

We are talking about whether the Raptors should retire his jersey. Generally teams do that based on the players body of work for that team. Vince being a first ballot hall of fame player does not matter for the raptors retiring his jersey if he didn’t earn that honour playing for the Raptors. None of what we think on any topic here actually matters. Nothing of what we post is going to change his jersey being retired or not. Or the team tanking or not. Or who the teams drafts. It’s a message board. If you don’t want to read things that don’t matter, you can navigate over to some other website. This is RealGM. Nothing matters.

You literally typed the following words: “ You think Vince Carter did enough in Toronto to get voted in to the Hall of Fame? First ballot or otherwise?”

If you’re solely talking about a jersey retirement then don’t shift the goal posts to question worthiness on the Hall of Fame. You’re now just rambling incoherently.
nestea
Veteran
And1: 1,778

Post#303 » by nestea » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:39 am

Retire the number for Vince. He deserves it. Lowry I could care less about
Im an Optomist, not an optometrist!
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,834

Post#304 » by Johnny Bball » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:50 am

Previously banned posters seem to always out themselves so easily after they slither back.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,697

Post#305 » by WaltFrazier » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:07 am

Corson27 wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:
Corson27 wrote:
There you have it folks, a random guy on Realgm has decided.

Every so often it's good to remember that it "literally doesn't matter" what any of us say on this board about anything.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,697

Post#306 » by WaltFrazier » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:22 am

There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,641

Post#307 » by Fairview4Life » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:23 am

Corson27 wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:
Corson27 wrote:

You literally typed the following words: “ You think Vince Carter did enough in Toronto to get voted in to the Hall of Fame? First ballot or otherwise?”

If you’re solely talking about a jersey retirement then don’t shift the goal posts to question worthiness on the Hall of Fame. You’re now just rambling incoherently.

Who tf pissed in your cornflakes? Can you not follow a conversation? I was replying to someone who was asking if Vince only got into the hall of fame due to longevity and I was agreeing with that and brought it back to his raptors tenure to make the point that I don’t think he did enough solely in Toronto to get into the hall of fame. Which is what matters for the Raps retiring his jersey. What he did after leaving for like 15 years was a big factor into him being a first ballot hall of fame player. So using “he’s a first ballot hall of fame player” (something you brought up, not me, by the way) as a plus to try and get his jersey retired by the raps doesn’t really work. Because he wasn’t a hall of fame player for the raps. Does that make more sense now?
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
PerfectJab
Veteran
And1: 1,357

Post#308 » by PerfectJab » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:35 am

HiJiNX wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:
HiJiNX wrote:He was also the most popular player in the league at a time when folks wondered if the Raptors would stay in Toronto.

No one with any decision making ability was wondering if the Raptors would stay in Toronto.

The point is flying over your head. The point is that Toronto wasn’t seen as a legitimate franchise in an NBA sports cultural sense before Vince arrived and for some time after he left. I’m not sure why our fanbase keeps downplaying that. We are not at all grateful enough for Vince’s contributions to Toronto. Why? It has nothing to do with his play but how he left. And I hated it, too. But it’s been like 20 years. Time to move on and let it go.

Wtf are you talking about? Legitimate NBA sports team before Vince arrived? The team was literally in the league for only 3 seasons and didn't even have their stadium built yet. Vince made that happen? Ridiculous.

You are entitled to your own opinion but my opinion is that you have low standards when it comes to jersey retirements.

1x 2nd team
1x 3rd team
Top win season 45 wins
Top playoff 2nd round exit
Only 1 time in top 10 MVP voting (position 10)
Losing record throughout tenure
Not loyal

Jersey retirement requires at least one of these IMO:

loyalty to the team
A legitimate superstar in the league
A winner

His track record and accolades contradict all of these.

What do the aforementioned symbolize and why are they important? You use the jersey in the rafters as a way to represent something you want the current players to represent. What does he represent?
Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,891

Post#309 » by Kingsway_fan » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:29 am

The GROAT HANDS DOWN, number 15 will be raised next year... an honour well deserved Vince..
NinjaBro
RealGM
And1: 42,002

Post#310 » by NinjaBro » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:10 am

WaltFrazier wrote:
Corson27 wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:

Every so often it's good to remember that it "literally doesn't matter" what any of us say on this board about anything.
But I was told that tWo was solely responsible for landing us Scottie Barnes.

We need to trade Siakam for AJ Griffen before it's too late! - PhilBlackson
Drakeem
Sixth Man
And1: 2,046

Post#311 » by Drakeem » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:55 pm

nestea wrote:Retire the number for Vince. He deserves it. Lowry I could care less about
Vince over Lowry? Now this is a take.
balleramil wrote:My Summer by Jarrett Jack

The one thing you don't know about our team is...
At practice we play freeze tag
HiJiNX
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 12,167

Post#312 » by HiJiNX » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:45 pm

PerfectJab wrote:
HiJiNX wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:
No one with any decision making ability was wondering if the Raptors would stay in Toronto.

The point is flying over your head. The point is that Toronto wasn’t seen as a legitimate franchise in an NBA sports cultural sense before Vince arrived and for some time after he left. I’m not sure why our fanbase keeps downplaying that. We are not at all grateful enough for Vince’s contributions to Toronto. Why? It has nothing to do with his play but how he left. And I hated it, too. But it’s been like 20 years. Time to move on and let it go.

Wtf are you talking about? Legitimate NBA sports team before Vince arrived? The team was literally in the league for only 3 seasons and didn't even have their stadium built yet. Vince made that happen? Ridiculous.

You are entitled to your own opinion but my opinion is that you have low standards when it comes to jersey retirements.

1x 2nd team
1x 3rd team
Top win season 45 wins
Not loyal

loyalty to the team
A winner

What do the aforementioned symbolize and why are they important? You use the jersey in the rafters as a way to represent something you want the current players to represent. What does he represent?

He did have loyalty to the team, the city, and the country. The management sucked. Richard Peddie was a notorious meddler. The media started to needlessly attack Vince for his injuries. And yet Vince has never once said anything bad about the city or the country, in fact it’s always been the opposite with him.

Vince was definitely a superstar. To say he wasn’t…either you are biased or weren’t old enough to experience the phenomenon. Again, Vince was arguably the most popular basketball player in the world at one point.

He wasn’t a winner? Which Raptors roster was he supposed to win with?

Again, there is nobody credible connected to the league—staff or player or media member, who would take any of these “he doesn’t deserve his jersey retired” arguments seriously. You’d literally get laughed at. These folks are able to properly contextualize things in a way bitter, narrow-minded, or uninformed fans simply can’t or won’t.

I would bet all of my money and assets that Vince is gonna get his jersey retired here. And when it happens he will deserve it, the fans will cheer, and the media will laud him. Because he actually was that important.
not strong, only aggresive cuz the power ain't directed/ that's why, we are subjected to the will of the oppressive
PerfectJab
Veteran
And1: 1,357

Post#313 » by PerfectJab » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:15 am

HiJiNX wrote:
PerfectJab wrote:
HiJiNX wrote:The point is flying over your head. The point is that Toronto wasn’t seen as a legitimate franchise in an NBA sports cultural sense before Vince arrived and for some time after he left. I’m not sure why our fanbase keeps downplaying that. We are not at all grateful enough for Vince’s contributions to Toronto. Why? It has nothing to do with his play but how he left. And I hated it, too. But it’s been like 20 years. Time to move on and let it go.

1x 2nd team
1x 3rd team
Top win season 45 wins
Not loyal

loyalty to the team
A winner

He did have loyalty to the team, the city, and the country. The management sucked. Richard Peddie was a notorious meddler. The media started to needlessly attack Vince for his injuries. And yet Vince has never once said anything bad about the city or the country, in fact it’s always been the opposite with him.

Vince was definitely a superstar. To say he wasn’t…either you are biased or weren’t old enough to experience the phenomenon. Again, Vince was arguably the most popular basketball player in the world at one point.

Again, there is nobody credible connected to the league—staff or player or media member, who would take any of these “he doesn’t deserve his jersey retired” arguments seriously. You’d literally get laughed at. These folks are able to properly contextualize things in a way bitter, narrow-minded, or uninformed fans simply can’t or won’t.

I would bet all of my money and assets that Vince is gonna get his jersey retired here. And when it happens he will deserve it, the fans will cheer, and the media will laud him. Because he actually was that important.

If you're referring to popularity then he was a superstar similar to what Kemp was. We obviously have different views as to what constitutes a superstar. To me it means the best players in the league which he never was. At his best he was around Paul Pierce's level. The superstars in that era were Garnett, Kobe, Shaq, Wade, Duncan and Nowitzki. He wasn't even close to any of those players.

Funny how these so called 'experts' that have credibility only voted him to 2 all NBA teams(Derozan who was without a doubt a better Raptor overall throughout his entire tenure did it 4 times, think about that) and he only cracked the top 10 in MVP voting once in his career in you guessed it, one of those 2 good seasons he had with the Raptors. Again, name one player that was a superstar that never hit top 5 in MVP voting at least once in their career.

Again I disagree that he will get his jersey retired because:

1. Wasn't good enough to make up for lack of below
2. Wasn't loyal to the team (How is admitting to not trying being loyal to the team? How is asking for a trade loyal?)
3. Wasn't a winner (With the Raps or any other team. You talk about his teammates and I'd argue he is not a winning player as one of the center pieces and his time with the Magic and Nets prove it. Problem has always been that he is a lazy player. He doesn't play on both sides of the floor and isn't incredibly efficient to make up for it which makes him a liability for the teams he plays for.

I don't think he will get his jersey retired because that would set the bar low but then again you never know when it comes to these sort of things.

Take away the flashy dunks he was above average not all that efficient and a 1 way player. Without a doubt the best dunker of all time but I don't think that deserves an award.
HiJiNX
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#314 » by HiJiNX » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:04 pm

PerfectJab wrote:
HiJiNX wrote:
PerfectJab wrote:

1x 2nd team
1x 3rd team
Top win season 45 wins
Not loyal

loyalty to the team
A winner

If you're referring to popularity then he was a superstar similar to what Kemp was. We obviously have different views as to what constitutes a superstar. To me it means the best players in the league which he never was. At his best he was around Paul Pierce's level. The superstars in that era were Garnett, Kobe, Shaq, Wade, Duncan and Nowitzki. He wasn't even close to any of those players.

Funny how these so called 'experts' that have credibility only voted him to 2 all NBA teams(Derozan who was without a doubt a better Raptor overall throughout his entire tenure did it 4 times, think about that) and he only cracked the top 10 in MVP voting once in his career in you guessed it, one of those 2 good seasons he had with the Raptors. Again, name one player that was a superstar that never hit top 5 in MVP voting at least once in their career.

2. Wasn't loyal to the team (How is admitting to not trying being loyal to the team? How is asking for a trade loyal?)
3. Wasn't a winner (With the Raps or any other team. You talk about his teammates and I'd argue he is not a winning player as one of the center pieces and his time with the Magic and Nets prove it. Problem has always been that he is a lazy player. He doesn't play on both sides of the floor and isn't incredibly efficient to make up for it which makes him a liability for the teams he plays for.

I don't think he will get his jersey retired because that would set the bar low but then again you never know when it comes to these sort of things.

Take away the flashy dunks he was above average not all that efficient and a 1 way player. Without a doubt the best dunker of all time but I don't think that deserves an award.

Here are the list of jersey numbers retired in the NBA. Are they all MVP level players?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NBA_retired_numbers
not strong, only aggresive cuz the power ain't directed/ that's why, we are subjected to the will of the oppressive
Drakeem
Sixth Man

Post#315 » by Drakeem » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:31 pm

HiJiNX wrote:
PerfectJab wrote:
HiJiNX wrote:He did have loyalty to the team, the city, and the country. The management sucked. Richard Peddie was a notorious meddler. The media started to needlessly attack Vince for his injuries. And yet Vince has never once said anything bad about the city or the country, in fact it’s always been the opposite with him.

Here are the list of jersey numbers retired in the NBA. Are they all MVP level players?

They've almost all had either more years spent with team, more personal accolades, or additional playoff success.

Carter falls short in every respect outside of sheer popularity.

wegotthabeet
Veteran
And1: 1,943

Post#316 » by wegotthabeet » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:22 pm

Drakeem wrote:
HiJiNX wrote:
PerfectJab wrote:

They've almost all had either more years spent with team, more personal accolades, or additional playoff success.

how many of them established a basketball culture in an entire country?
Wise80
Senior
And1: 553

Post#317 » by Wise80 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:48 pm

I'm surprised at how many people want his jersey retired.

The guy gave up on the team and didn't really have that much team success.

He clearly regrets how it all unfolded, but that doesn't make it alright.

Setting the raptors trot out mcgrady, Carter (and weren't there a few others?) While they ask quit on the team, during our historic playoff run was an embarrassment.
2019nbachamps
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,577

Post#318 » by 2019nbachamps » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:53 pm

Wise80 wrote:I'm surprised at how many people want his jersey retired.

Setting the raptors trot out mcgrady, Carter (and weren't there a few others?) While they ask quit on the team, during our historic playoff run was an embarrassment.

Many of us have pointed this out already only to be called salty.

I think we can acknowledge the significance of Vince as a Raptor without celebrating him. He may be the most important Raptor ever and brought a lot of excitement to the fans. But he also didn’t achieve much and gave up on the team. I’m not enthusiastic about glorifying him.
HiJiNX
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#319 » by HiJiNX » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:29 am

2019nbachamps wrote:
Wise80 wrote:I'm surprised at how many people want his jersey retired.

Many of us have pointed this out already only to be called salty.

I think we can acknowledge the significance of Vince as a Raptor without celebrating him. He may be the most important Raptor ever and brought a lot of excitement to the fans. But he also didn’t achieve much and gave up on the team. I’m not enthusiastic about glorifying him.

This is the point many of us are trying to make. Which other franchise is not retiring the jersey of the most important player to ever wear it?
Drakeem
Sixth Man

Post#320 » by Drakeem » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:38 am

wegotthabeet wrote:
Drakeem wrote:
HiJiNX wrote:Here are the list of jersey numbers retired in the NBA. Are they all MVP level players?

how many of them established a basketball culture in an entire country?
So no actual accomplishments outside of him being popular for dunking. :lol:

Return to Toronto Raptors