ImageImageImageImageImage

Raptors should announce retiring Vince Carter's jersey soon

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,641

Re: Raptors should announce retiring Vince Carter's jersey soon 

Post#281 » by Fairview4Life » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:27 pm

HiJiNX wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:
HiJiNX wrote:He was also the most popular player in the league at a time when folks wondered if the Raptors would stay in Toronto.

No one with any decision making ability was wondering if the Raptors would stay in Toronto.

The point is flying over your head. The point is that Toronto wasn’t seen as a legitimate franchise in an NBA sports cultural sense before Vince arrived and for some time until he left. I’m not sure why our fanbase keeps downplaying that. We are not are all grateful enough for Vince’s contributions to Toronto. Why? It has nothing to do with his play but how he left. And I hated it, too. But it’s been like 20 years. Time to move on and let it go.

The team wasn't seen as a legitimate franchise because of Vince, but because they started winning for a couple years. We went immediately back into craptors mode until around 2015. You can say the winning was because of Vince, but I don't personally think that the team would have been worse off if McGrady stayed and Vince left, for example. Or we stuck with Jamison in that draft and McGrady stayed.

Why should we move on about the negative stuff but not the positive stuff? His contributions to Toronto in an "NBA sports cultural sense" were also 20 years ago and as we saw, fleeting. His contributions were entirely around making games exciting to watch for like 4 years that topped out with a single playoff series win. That's great, and fun, but hardly some irreplaceable contribution to sports culture in Toronto that deserves a jersey retirement.

I think they will probably retire his jersey because you can't tell the story of the Raptors without him and nostalgia, but at the same time, there are a lot of other dudes in that same conversation that don't really "deserve" a jersey retirement either.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,710

Post#282 » by WaltFrazier » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:36 pm

WetLikeWater wrote:Norm says it best at 5 mins mark

https://youtu.be/4vMu4tSx-RI?si=Jxp3rmInS3M0Jfm0

I don't care anymore about VC.

But OT, this video made me sad all over again hearing Norm talk about group chats with Pascal and Fred and others. I know it's a business and not realistic but I just wish the gang of Norm FVV Pascal OG and Jak could have stayed together longer even after Kyle aged out. Just nostalgia on my part. Stupid contract stuff gets in the way.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#283 » by WaltFrazier » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:51 pm

And1Skip wrote:
xAIRNESSx wrote:Vince also rescinded his trade request but Babcock was insistent on trading him for a garbage package.

The organization was a disaster from Peddie to Babcock to Mitchell. There was a lot of pettiness directed at Vince heading into that season.

I would call it a lot of "Peddie-ness". And that dude is still petty about Vince today. Richard Peddie almost single handedly ruined the franchise until Stern came in and brought in BC.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/170029/Vince_Carter_wants_Raptors_President_Peddie_Fired

"I want to make it perfectly clear that Vince has no problem at all with (new general manager) Rob Babcock or (new head coach) Sam Mitchell and that he is looking forward to playing for them," said Mississauga businessman Nav Bhatia, a Raptors season-ticket holder who has become so close with Carter that he was one of the few Canadians invited to the player's recent wedding in Florida.

"Vince loves Toronto and he loves the fans of Toronto. He has two condominiums in Toronto and he wants to live here for many, many more years. But he has serious problems playing for an organization that is run by Richard Peddie (the club's president and CEO). He has problems with (consultant) Jack McCloskey and (player-personnel director) Jim Kelly, too.

"Larry Tanenbaum (the Raptors' chairman) is fully aware of this. Larry asked me recently what would make Vince comfortable with the organization and I told him in no uncertain terms -- that he wants Peddie, McCloskey and Kelly gone. Now it's up to Larry and his co-owners to decide what they want to do."

Peddie was a pompous ass for sure. Someone gave me his autobiography as a gift, thinking I like any basketball books. Full of self - aggrandizing stories about how much he accomplished, and buzzwords like vision and best practices.

I didn't recall that Jack McCloskey was still around then, I thought he was only around the first year or two to help Isiah. I actually spoke to him for a couple minutes when they held a week of training camp in Barrie, season 2 I think it was. A real old school basketball guy.

I hated how Vince left, and have disdain for his lack of fire and killer instinct. An underachiever relative to the gifts he had. But having said that, his situation was badly handled by Peddie and management. It's the NBA you have to cater to a superstar. I remember thinking, when he wanted Dr J as GM they should have just hired him to keep Vince happy. How different team history could have been if he and McGrady stayed together in Toronto.
Corson27
Ballboy
And1: 7

Post#284 » by Corson27 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:58 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:
HiJiNX wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:
No one with any decision making ability was wondering if the Raptors would stay in Toronto.

The point is flying over your head. The point is that Toronto wasn’t seen as a legitimate franchise in an NBA sports cultural sense before Vince arrived and for some time until he left. I’m not sure why our fanbase keeps downplaying that. We are not are all grateful enough for Vince’s contributions to Toronto. Why? It has nothing to do with his play but how he left. And I hated it, too. But it’s been like 20 years. Time to move on and let it go.

The team wasn't seen as a legitimate franchise because of Vince, but because they started winning for a couple years. We went immediately back into craptors mode until around 2015. You can say the winning was because of Vince, but I don't personally think that the team would have been worse off if McGrady stayed and Vince left, for example. Or we stuck with Jamison in that draft and McGrady stayed.

Why should we move on about the negative stuff but not the positive stuff? His contributions to Toronto in an "NBA sports cultural sense" were also 20 years ago and as we saw, fleeting. His contributions were entirely around making games exciting to watch for like 4 years that topped out with a single playoff series win. That's great, and fun, but hardly some irreplaceable contribution to sports culture in Toronto that deserves a jersey retirement.

I think they will probably retire his jersey because you can't tell the story of the Raptors without him and nostalgia, but at the same time, there are a lot of other dudes in that same conversation that don't really "deserve" a jersey retirement either.

The fact this conversation still goes on today, and really outside of Toronto (where Vince is synonymous with the Raptors) clearly shows the cultural contributions weren't fleeting lol.
And1Skip
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,747

Post#285 » by And1Skip » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:06 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:
And1Skip wrote:
xAIRNESSx wrote:Vince also rescinded his trade request but Babcock was insistent on trading him for a garbage package.

The organization was a disaster from Peddie to Babcock to Mitchell. There was a lot of pettiness directed at Vince heading into that season.

I would call it a lot of "Peddie-ness". And that dude is still petty about Vince today. Richard Peddie almost single handedly ruined the franchise until Stern came in and brought in BC.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/170029/Vince_Carter_wants_Raptors_President_Peddie_Fired

"I want to make it perfectly clear that Vince has no problem at all with (new general manager) Rob Babcock or (new head coach) Sam Mitchell and that he is looking forward to playing for them," said Mississauga businessman Nav Bhatia, a Raptors season-ticket holder who has become so close with Carter that he was one of the few Canadians invited to the player's recent wedding in Florida.

"Vince loves Toronto and he loves the fans of Toronto. He has two condominiums in Toronto and he wants to live here for many, many more years. But he has serious problems playing for an organization that is run by Richard Peddie (the club's president and CEO). He has problems with (consultant) Jack McCloskey and (player-personnel director) Jim Kelly, too.

"Larry Tanenbaum (the Raptors' chairman) is fully aware of this. Larry asked me recently what would make Vince comfortable with the organization and I told him in no uncertain terms -- that he wants Peddie, McCloskey and Kelly gone. Now it's up to Larry and his co-owners to decide what they want to do."

Peddie was a pompous ass for sure. Someone gave me his autobiography as a gift, thinking I like any basketball books. Full of self - aggrandizing stories about how much he accomplished, and buzzwords like vision and best practices.

I didn't recall that Jack McCloskey was still around then, I thought he was only around the first year or two to help Isiah. I actually spoke to him for a couple minutes when they held a week of training camp in Barrie, season 2 I think it was. A real old school basketball guy.

I hated how Vince left, and have disdain for his lack of fire and killer instinct. An underachiever relative to the gifts he had. But having said that, his situation was badly handled by Peddie and management. It's the NBA you have to cater to a superstar. I remember thinking, when he wanted Dr J as GM they should have just hired him to keep Vince happy. How different team history could have been if he and McGrady stayed together in Toronto.

IIRC, Grunwald was fired before the end of the previous season leaving only Jim Kelly left in basketball ops and KO's imfamous exit interview (he was fired already) telling the media "there is ZERO basketball IQ in the front office, ZERO". I believe Peddie hired McCloskey to help find a GM which he ended up finding Rob Babcock. McCloskey also was instrumental in hiring Sam Mitchell as I remember an interview with McCloskey on how excited he was in bringing in Smitch. The only thing that McCloskey/Babcock did well was bringing in Wayne Embry as an advisor who we all know is still with the team now. But to think most posters on this board have a negative opinion on Peddie, Babcock and yes, Jim Kelly as well and this is who we had to run the team then. When Babcock came on right before the draft, he uses the 8th pick to select Hoffa instead of Iggy and in the press conference he literally said the reason why they drafted Hoffa was because he has a "hockey mentality" and that's what he thinks Toronto fans like.
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#286 » by WaltFrazier » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:18 pm

And1Skip wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:
And1Skip wrote:

IIRC, Grunwald was fired before the end of the previous season leaving only Jim Kelly left in basketball ops and KO's imfamous exit interview (he was fired already) telling the media "there is ZERO basketball IQ in the front office, ZERO". I believe Peddie hired McCloskey to help find a GM which he ended up finding Rob Babcock. McCloskey also was instrumental in hiring Sam Mitchell as I remember an interview with McCloskey on how excited he was in bringing in Smitch. The only thing that McCloskey/Babcock did well was bringing in Wayne Embry as an advisor who we all know is still with the team now. But to think most posters on this board have a negative opinion on Peddie, Babcock and yes, Jim Kelly as well and this is who we had to run the team then. When Babcock came on right before the draft, he uses the 8th pick to select Hoffa instead of Iggy and in the press conference he literally said the reason why they drafted Hoffa was because he has a "hockey mentality" and that's what he thinks Toronto fans like.

It's awful to think how bad things were then. I don't know who they could have hired better than Babcock and Sam, but the right people could have made a difference.

I wish I could have an hour sit-down with Wayne Embry. I'm old enough and have read enough about the 60s NBA to ask him for good stories about Oscar Robertson, Bill Russell and the era.
MoneyBall
Analyst
And1: 3,207

Post#287 » by MoneyBall » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:22 pm

#15 Raptors should be retired. Let us honour Amir!
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,181

Post#288 » by YogurtProducer » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:35 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:
WetLikeWater wrote:Norm says it best at 5 mins mark

https://youtu.be/4vMu4tSx-RI?si=Jxp3rmInS3M0Jfm0

I don't care anymore about VC.

But OT, this video made me sad all over again hearing Norm talk about group chats with Pascal and Fred and others. I know it's a business and not realistic but I just wish the gang of Norm FVV Pascal OG and Jak could have stayed together longer even after Kyle aged out. Just nostalgia on my part. Stupid contract stuff gets in the way.

I wish the NBA had better rules for homegrown teams.

I don't think teams should ever be punished for drafting well.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
Tacoma
Head Coach
And1: 4,888

Post#289 » by Tacoma » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:09 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:
And1Skip wrote:Meh... Dallas Mavericks retired jerseys for Derek Harper and Ronaldo Blackman. Let the Raptors do their thing. I'm certainly not missing that event next season as a SSH and it'll be my most anticipated event since the the ring ceremony.

Rolando Blackman. He led them to their first conference finals, played ~900 games with them over 11 years, and was their best player in the 1980's and held the team record for points for a couple decades until Dirk broke it. Similar thing with Derek Harper. He played there for a decade and was part of the team's only good runs including their conference finals trip. They retired their jerseys because they were essentially their Kyle and Demar in the 80's and were there for a long time for a team that had almost no other success until Dirk showed up.

In the year Dallas made the WCF, they were led by Mark Aguirre as #1 option; Aguirre and James Donaldson were the only 2 All Stars representing Dallas, not Blackman nor Harper. And I'd say Roy Tarpley was more important in their playoff run than Blackman.

Point is, Blackman (& Harper) had a lot of help - so much help that they weren't IMO even the 2 best players for Dallas in the 1988 playoffs that made WCF. Vince's fellow starters in his deepest playoff run were 33 yr old Antonio Davis and 38 yr old Oakley. He had nowhere near the same help as Blackman did. Not in the same ballpark, not in the same universe.

Team success depends on the team and Blackman and Harper were part of a really good team that made the 1988 WCF. The decision on whether Vince gets his jersey retired should not have team wins as a key decision factor. Vince did the best he could with the teammates that Rob Babcock gave him - and it wasn't much.
Fairview4Life
RealGM

Post#290 » by Fairview4Life » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:23 pm

Tacoma wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:
And1Skip wrote:Meh... Dallas Mavericks retired jerseys for Derek Harper and Ronaldo Blackman. Let the Raptors do their thing. I'm certainly not missing that event next season as a SSH and it'll be my most anticipated event since the the ring ceremony.

Rolando Blackman. He led them to their first conference finals, played ~900 games with them over 11 years, and was their best player in the 1980's and held the team record for points for a couple decades until Dirk broke it. Similar thing with Derek Harper. He played there for a decade and was part of the team's only good runs including their conference finals trip. They retired their jerseys because they were essentially their Kyle and Demar in the 80's and were there for a long time for a team that had almost no other success until Dirk showed up.

In the year Dallas made the WCF, they were led by Mark Aguirre as #1 option; Aguirre and James Donaldson were the only 2 All Stars representing Dallas, not Blackman nor Harper. And I'd say Roy Tarpley was more important in their playoff run than Blackman.

Point is, Blackman (& Harper) had a lot of help - so much help that they weren't IMO even the 2 best players for Dallas in the 1988 playoffs that made WCF. Vince's fellow starters in his deepest playoff run were 33 yr old Antonio Davis and 38 yr old Oakley. He had nowhere near the same help as Blackman did. Not in the same ballpark, not in the same universe.

Team success depends on the team and Blackman and Harper were part of a really good team that made the 1988 WCF. The decision on whether Vince gets his jersey retired should not have team wins as a key decision factor. Vince did the best he could with the teammates that Rob Babcock gave him - and it wasn't much.

I thought Aguirre was already in Detroit by then. But if we're drawing some comparisons then let's look at him and Vince. You'll note his jersey wasn't retired by the Mavs despite playing there for...7(?) years and being a part of their only run of success/WCF team. I remember the story on him being a bad lockerroom guy and having lots of issues with other players and coaches and demanding out/leaving on not so great terms. Sounds a little familiar.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
HiJiNX
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 12,167

Post#291 » by HiJiNX » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:38 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:
HiJiNX wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:

Again, I think you’re absolutely downplaying the level of impact Vince Carter had here in Toronto. And that he was a legimate superstar for a few years while here.

As far as playoff success goes, he never had a number two while here. After Vince left we didn’t win another playoff series for about ten years. That says a lot about our issues as an org, historically.

Vince as a player and an ambassador for the Raptors and Canada is undeniable.

Maybe you’re seeing things from a purely on court production perspective but I think when we evaluate a player like Vince, that impact and what he meant to the culture of basketball in Canada, and the perception of basketball in Canada, is a part of the conversation. Plus it’s not like Vince was some scrub.

Again, he was the most popular player in the league for several years, a league that had Kobe, Iverson, and Shaq in it, and had the numbers to back it up. The fourth quarter comebacks. The game winners. The only thing he really lacked was playoff success. Yeah he flamed out in his first year and then came back the year after and goes toe to toe with the league MVP and was a jump shot (or a missed Oakley layup) away from beating him. And it’s not like he had a lot of help. Vince was still the best player we ever had here until Kawhi mercenaried for a year and helped us get a chip.

Vince wasn’t a scrub. He was a damn good player and an even better ambassador at a time when we needed one. And you can’t say that we didn’t because we ended up hiring Drake literally for that role about a decade after Vince’s departure.

Vince is important enough and good enough, first ballot HOF good enough, to get his jersey retired here. It befuddles me that anybody would disagree. Emotionally, I get it but when we look at straight facts, it’s hard to argue against retiring his jersey here, and I doubt there is anybody who works in the NBA in any capacity, media or otherwise, who would agree. They’d get laughed at by their colleagues as not serious people.

Here’s even another way to look at it. When folks say Vince they don’t gotta add the Carter because we know who they’re talking about. So when you look at the first name only guys—Shaq, Kobe, Mike/Michael, Dirk, Timmy, Hakeem, Patrick, Gary, Lebron, Steph, etc—you start to see a bunch of players who objectively speaking deserve to have their jersey’s retired by their franchises.

Of course, I know what I just wrote is a ridiculous argument but I think it illustrates that there are so many ways in which Vince has proven his worth as a player and his best years, certainly his most iconic, were with us here. So whether by stats or mythology or any other metric that we measure franchise players by, Vince should be a shoe in to get his n jersey retired. Anything less would be disrespectful.
not strong, only aggresive cuz the power ain't directed/ that's why, we are subjected to the will of the oppressive
brownbobcat
Head Coach
And1: 3,286

Post#292 » by brownbobcat » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:38 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:I thought Aguirre was already in Detroit by then. But if we're drawing some comparisons then let's look at him and Vince. You'll note his jersey wasn't retired by the Mavs despite playing there for...7(?) years and being a part of their only run of success/WCF team. I remember the story on him being a bad lockerroom guy and having lots of issues with other players and coaches and demanding out/leaving on not so great terms. Sounds a little familiar.

A similar comp might be Melo. Of course in this case, Denver's decision almost makes itself since Jokic wears 15.

Melo also made similar contributions to NYK, but I don't think they're in any rush to retire his number.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,097

Post#293 » by ItsDanger » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:45 pm

There was plenty of blame to go around in those days. From players to coaches to management and especially to ownership. In all their varous phases. That being said, unless you're MJ, trying to influence the business side of a franchise isn't wise for your future on the team.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
Corson27
Ballboy

Post#294 » by Corson27 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:31 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:
Tacoma wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:

I thought Aguirre was already in Detroit by then. But if we're drawing some comparisons then let's look at him and Vince. You'll note his jersey wasn't retired by the Mavs despite playing there for...7(?) years and being a part of their only run of success/WCF team. I remember the story on him being a bad lockerroom guy and having lots of issues with other players and coaches and demanding out/leaving on not so great terms. Sounds a little familiar.

Hmmmm first ballot hall of famer vs a guy who was eligible 24 years ago and still has not made it into the HOF. Yes, very familiar lol.
ruckus
RealGM
And1: 11,288

Post#295 » by ruckus » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:51 pm

Corson27 wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:
Tacoma wrote:

Hmmmm first ballot hall of famer vs a guy who was eligible 24 years ago and still has not made it into the HOF. Yes, very familiar lol.

Just to play devil's advocate, should Vince have been a first ballot hall of famer? I've always viewed Vince similarly to Nique. Great dunker and great scorer but never really had a great team built around them. Infamously, Nique wasn't a first ballot hall of famer.

I don't remember what the circumstances were so maybe it was a one-off but a strong argument could be made that Nique had a better career than Vince.

So what makes Vince first ballot and Wilkins not? Was it solely due to Vince's longevity?
Fairview4Life
RealGM

Post#296 » by Fairview4Life » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:31 pm

ruckus wrote:Just to play devil's advocate, should Vince have been a first ballot hall of famer? I've always viewed Vince similarly to Nique. Great dunker and great scorer but never really had a great team built around them. Infamously, Nique wasn't a first ballot hall of famer.

I don't remember what the circumstances were so maybe it was a one-off but a strong argument could be made that Nique had a better career than Vince.

So what makes Vince first ballot and Wilkins not? Was it solely due to Vince's longevity?

Should Vince have been a 1st ballot hall of famer after his time in Toronto? Or a hall of famer at all? Probably not.
Corson27
Ballboy

Post#297 » by Corson27 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:44 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:
ruckus wrote:Just to play devil's advocate, should Vince have been a first ballot hall of famer? I've always viewed Vince similarly to Nique. Great dunker and great scorer but never really had a great team built around them. Infamously, Nique wasn't a first ballot hall of famer.

Should Vince have been a 1st ballot hall of famer after his time in Toronto? Or a hall of famer at all? Probably not.

There you have it folks, a random guy on Realgm has decided.
Fairview4Life
RealGM

Post#298 » by Fairview4Life » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:40 pm

Corson27 wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:

You think Vince Carter did enough in Toronto to get voted in to the Hall of Fame? First ballot or otherwise? I think he probably didn’t. You could maybe make the argument that ROY and a gold medal might push him in but no playoff success and only a couple 2nd/3rd team nods isn’t great.
Corson27
Ballboy

Post#299 » by Corson27 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:22 am

Fairview4Life wrote:
Corson27 wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:

You think Vince Carter did enough in Toronto to get voted in to the Hall of Fame? First ballot or otherwise? I think he probably didn’t. You could maybe make the argument that ROY and a gold medal might push him in but no playoff success and only a couple 2nd/3rd team nods isn’t great.

I mean induction solely because of his time in Toronto isn’t how it works….? Perhaps I’m misreading what you’re trying to say. But my point is for his Hall of Fame candidacy, it literally doesn’t matter what you and I on a RealGM message board think lol.
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#300 » by WaltFrazier » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:41 am

Tacoma wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:

Rolando was a 4x All Star who hit the game winning free throws in one ASG, an iconic moment. Harper was 2x All Defense 2nd team and considered maybe the best player never to make an ASG. There were so many great guards in that era led by perennial All Star Magic, it wasn't easy to make the ASG.

Tarpley was a great talent who only played about 4-5 years before being perma banned by David Stern for substance violations. Not the guy whose number you retire. Aguirre was traded to Detroit, not a retired number candidate

Return to Toronto Raptors