ImageImageImageImageImage

Raptors should announce retiring Vince Carter's jersey soon

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

PRESTIGE
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,144
Location: The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

Re: Raptors should announce retiring Vince Carter's jersey soon 

Post#241 » by PRESTIGE » Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:27 am

PRESTIGE
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,144
Location: The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

Post#242 » by PRESTIGE » Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:28 am

I started watching the Raptors Vince’s rookie year. I saw it all. Must admit I have a soft spot for him as I was a huge fan and watched nearly all his games.
mihaic
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,081

Post#243 » by mihaic » Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:42 pm

raptor jesus wrote:I'm a Raptors fan primarily because of Vince, but I don't think they should retire his jersey. His impact is undeniable, but he only played about 400 games with the team w/o a ton of success - Amir played more games wearing 15, and did so with much more grace imo. Also, while the Raptors front office deserves a big share of the blame pie, Vince did essentially quit on the team. He was tipping end of game plays to opposing teams, claimed he didn't want to dunk anymore. So I think retiring his number would come off as somewhat desperate on the Raptors part, like they're doing it just to do generate some buzz - like the Magic just did with Shaq.

I don't understand this "not loyal" thing people are bringing.

If you were the best in your team, and completely disagreed with your boss, would you work the same at your workplace?

What if your boss denied you any little favor? Would you consider finding another workplace where you are treated the way you think you deserved, given you feel you are the best at what you do?

He never badmouthed Toronto after he left like Bosh did. Our team was going nowhere too. I can see why he wanted to leave.

Was he a bit childish about it? Yes, but it shouldn't take away anything from his contributions to the Raptors. After all, aside from our brief 1 year of prime Kawhi, he was the most exciting player we ever had in our team in my opinion .
Chalky_White
Senior
And1: 629

Post#244 » by Chalky_White » Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:58 pm

JShuttlesworth wrote:I'm not of the belief that Vince's number is getting retired, and I don't really think it needs to be retired either. If the Raptors were going to retire it, it would have been done already. Why wait?

I don't think anyone has worn #10 after DeRozan though, and I'm confident Lowry's #7 will be retired

They'll retire his jersey just cause he's now a Hall of Famer and he made his most memorable impact with the Raptors.

I think they should wait until Lowrys get retired first but VC jersey getting retired.
Chalky_White
Senior
And1: 629

Post#245 » by Chalky_White » Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:07 pm

Gotta say, the team and their media partners have done quite the job in rehabilitating his image in this market for this to even be a discussion.

If you remember the vitriolic booing against him from 2005-2010 this all so sureal. The topic of someday retiring his jersey was the furthest thing from anyone's mind.
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,261

Post#246 » by djsunyc » Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:26 pm

whoever it is, i hope they do it classy and invite a ton of ex-raptors to attend, whether they are close to him or not. bring back like 20-30 ex raptors from day 1.
Tha Cynic
RealGM
And1: 24,429

Post#247 » by Tha Cynic » Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:54 am

This got me thinking - the guy who did the organization really dirty was Bosh. This guy made the Raptors think they could sign him when he had already secretly agreed to sign with the Heat on LeBron James' manufactured super team, and then **** talked Canada and Toronto as soon as he left.

I didn't listen to it but I think I read that he also didn't even mention Toronto in his hall of fame speech. That's pretty much the low of the low when you consider he made a name for himself here and really was an afterthought in Miami. The guy had the worst kind of personality lol. Went from a big introvert to then really overcompensating to make up for it.
Kobe Bryant:You asked for my hustle - I gave you my heart, because it came with so much more."~Kobe #MambaOut
WetLikeWater
Bench Warmer
And1: 872

Post#248 » by WetLikeWater » Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:00 pm

Norm says it best at 5 mins mark

https://youtu.be/4vMu4tSx-RI?si=Jxp3rmInS3M0Jfm0
DoctaJ
Sixth Man
And1: 401

Post#249 » by DoctaJ » Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:12 pm

Tha Cynic wrote:This got me thinking - the guy who did the organization really dirty was Bosh. This guy made the Raptors think they could sign him when he had already secretly agreed to sign with the Heat on LeBron James's manufactured super team, and then **** talked Canada and Toronto as soon as he left.

I didn't listen to it but I think I read that he also didn't even mention Toronto in his hall of fame speech. That's pretty much the low of the low when you consider he made a name for himself here and really was an afterthought in Miami. The guy had the worst kind of personality lol. Went from a big introvert to then really overcompensating to make up for it.

Really sad because he even looked like a Raptor. It was all so perfect.. until it wasn't. :noway:

Oh well, we got a championship in the end. :nod:
nestea
Veteran
And1: 1,778

Post#250 » by nestea » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:30 pm

Tha Cynic wrote:This got me thinking - the guy who did the organization really dirty was Bosh. This guy made the Raptors think they could sign him when he had already secretly agreed to sign with the Heat on LeBron James's manufactured super team, and then **** talked Canada and Toronto as soon as he left.

Well said. And turned out to be a 3rd for 4th option for Miami?
Im an Optomist, not an optometrist!
binjumper
Starter
And1: 3,701

Post#251 » by binjumper » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:48 am

WetLikeWater wrote:Norm says it best at 5 mins mark

This is also ignoring the fact he also sent us to the Stone Age
PoundTown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,157

Post#252 » by PoundTown » Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:14 pm

Kyle’s first! Then Vince and I’d even retire demar, but no way I’m retiring number 4.
TerryTate
Analyst
And1: 1,451

Post#253 » by TerryTate » Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:56 pm

Tha Cynic wrote:This got me thinking - the guy who did the organization really dirty was Bosh. This guy made the Raptors think they could sign him when he had already secretly agreed to sign with the Heat on LeBron James' manufactured super team, and then **** talked Canada and Toronto as soon as he left.

This right here
srhcan
Starter
And1: 1,596

Post#254 » by srhcan » Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:31 pm

He is the only home grown superstar Raptors has ever produced (hopefully Barnes will be the 2nd such superstar).
He is the only superstar who re-signed with Raptors.
He is the one who made Raptors famous and respected.

Retire his jersey? Absolutely.
Is retiring his jersey enough to appreciate his contributions to Raptors? Might be not.
srhcan
Starter
And1: 1,596

Post#255 » by srhcan » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:05 pm

PRESTIGE wrote:

Damn how many times Carter won the game for Raptors at buzzer? Clutch
WetLikeWater
Bench Warmer
And1: 872

Post#256 » by WetLikeWater » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:06 pm

binjumper wrote:

Is that his fault or the management fault? Anyone of us would of done the same thing if the management they are working under isn't responsible and being respectful towards you know that you are their most valuable asset.
xAIRNESSx
RealGM
And1: 13,149

Post#257 » by xAIRNESSx » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:07 pm

PoundTown wrote:Kyle’s first! Then Vince and I’d even retire demar, but no way I’m retiring number 4.

Unless it’s Scottie :D
binjumper
Starter
And1: 3,701

Post#258 » by binjumper » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:35 pm

WetLikeWater wrote:
binjumper wrote:

Is that his fault or the management fault? Anyone of us would of done the same thing if the management they are working under isn't responsible and being respectful towards you know that you are their most valuable asset.

Did management tell him to tank his own value?
TheGeneral99
Starter
And1: 2,772

Post#259 » by TheGeneral99 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:56 pm

He's simply wrong.

What does he mean by "without Vince Carter Raptors wouldn't be what they are today?"

Here are the facts: Vince Carter left unprofessionally by deliberately tanking his trade value and playing like horse **** for the first 20 games of the 2004-2005 season. That resulted in an awful trade and set the franchise back for years.

The Raptors are what they are today because of the "We The North' era with Masai, Lowry, Derozan etc. starting in 2014, which made us a powerhouse franchise that competed every year and ended up with a championship. The "We The North" fully put Toronto on the map as a legit top basketball city, and ended the myth of Toronto being only a Hockey town.
TheGeneral99
Starter
And1: 2,772

Post#260 » by TheGeneral99 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:58 pm

WetLikeWater wrote:
binjumper wrote:

Okay so wait a second.

You agree to a 7 year, 96 million dollar contract. You request to be moved to a different company because you aren't happy. However, after being asked to be move you start working like crap, intentionally sabotaging the company and setting the company back years once you leave.

I'm not sure about you but if I'm under contact getting paid millions I have to perform to the top of my ability while under contract.

The issue was not about Vince requesting a trade, it was him tanking his own trade value, posting the worst numbers of his career after that, tipping other teams with our plays, joining other teams in their huddles after games, just acting like a completely unprofessional idiot.

Going from a 16ppg shooting 41%fg, 32%3fg, 69% ft to 28ppg on 46%fg, 43%3f, 82% ft was just a huge slap in the face and one of the most disgusting things a star NBA player has done before leaving a franchise.

Return to Toronto Raptors