ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 2

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Mark_83
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,206

Re: 2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 2 

Post#1501 » by Mark_83 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:22 am

BoyzNTheHood wrote:
Mark_83 wrote:
BoyzNTheHood wrote:Would draft him with the Indy pick

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=iDergfyDJveIq9pY2qCCBQ

Do you think he's a PG, SG, or combo-guard longterm?

Solid combo in the mold of Brogdon or Derrick White

I just tuned into the game. Should be an interesting match up if Shead is guarding him.
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,735

Post#1502 » by BoyzNTheHood » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:40 am

Mark_83 wrote:
BoyzNTheHood wrote:
Mark_83 wrote:Do you think he's a PG, SG, or combo-guard longterm?

Solid combo in the mold of Brogdon or Derrick White

I just tuned into the game. Should be an interesting match up if Shead is guarding him.

4 TO’s early

deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
Syd-TK3
RealGM
And1: 17,585

Post#1503 » by Syd-TK3 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:01 am

MEDIC wrote:
UnbelievablyRAW wrote:I think I like Holland more than Castle for the upside at this point......

Just curious. What is it that you like about Holland more than Castle?

After watching quite a bit of video on both, I am not sure what Holland does better than Castle. Smoother looking shooting stroke, but they shot a similar % from 3. Castles ball handling is miles ahead of Holland. I have also read that Holland is closer to 6'^6" than 6"8". It will be interesting to see what the measurements are on these two.

Holland's potential as a scorer is much better imo he also is just smoother in general when it comes to offence including the shooting stroke.
RoteSchroder
Junior
And1: 206

Post#1504 » by RoteSchroder » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:43 am

Syd-TK3 wrote:
MEDIC wrote:
UnbelievablyRAW wrote:I think I like Holland more than Castle for the upside at this point......

Just curious. What is it that you like about Holland more than Castle?

After watching quite a bit of video on both, I am not sure what Holland does better than Castle. Smoother looking shooting stroke, but they shot a similar % from 3. Castles ball handling is miles ahead of Holland. I have also read that Holland is closer to 6'^6" than 6"8". It will be interesting to see what the measurements are on these two.

Holland's potential as a scorer is much better imo he also is just smoother in general when it comes to offence including the shooting stroke.

Their comparable FT shooters (75-76%). Holland's knees kind of bend together on his shots. Castle could probably benefit from a higher arc on his 3's and make it less "slingshot-y". I think it's likely both improve shooting-wise, but a knee hitch may be harder to fix than a low arc.

Holland is faster on his drives, a better finisher and has better length. Castle's a better passer, more versatile in his scoring, plays more calculated and he's a better defender.

Castle's not unathletic, but he's more of a two footed jumper, which may hamper his finishing ability a bit if he's going off one foot.

I think Castle has more potential to develop a mid-range pull up game similar to that of Butler/Kawhi/PG
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,574

Post#1505 » by DreamTeam09 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:10 am

Holland reminds of a right handed RJ Barrett. I guess that would be a young Harrison Barnes maybe? I guess that's a good pick up near the top in a weak draft. Both of those guys were top 10.

I just want a 6'8+ player
Sarr
Rischarer
Cody Williams
Holland
Buzelis

In Raptor Ball I Trust
Thaddy
Analyst
And1: 1,862

Post#1506 » by Thaddy » Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:42 am

I would try a double sign and trade with Trent Jr for PWill. The picks are gonna likely be cheap rotation players, hypothetically let's say it's Reed, Klingan, and Hall.

Poeltl - Olynyk - Klingan
Barnes - Hall
Williams - Agbaji
Barrett - Dick
IQ - Reed

The Reed and Dick back court can grow over the next 3 years. I could see them being a very good back court against other benches.

I like Klingan as a mobile match up against other guard skilled bigs like Embiid, Jokic, Chet, Wemby, Sarr, and others.
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,219

Post#1507 » by Dalek » Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:04 am

The tournament always narrows perspectives because of the attention given to a couple performances, but over the past year Jaylon Tyson to me stood out from the pack of upper classmen guards. To me, he has a lot of Jalen Brunson to his game.

Not a huge blowby guy, but he uses his strength and crafty footwork and good handle to get where he needs to. He has a grit to his game that I just don't see too much - maybe Castle is the most similar but a weaker scorer than Tyson. Tyson was around 20 PPG on decent percentages.

Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,718

Post#1508 » by Ell Curry » Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:33 am

Psubs wrote:
Ell Curry wrote:Indiana made a lot of changes so maybe it wasn't his fault, but their defence went from okay (47th) to meh (73rd) in replacing Trayce Jackson-Davis with Ware at centre, which makes me nervous, since Jackson-Davis fell in the draft because he's too small to start at the 5 in the NBA. I guess it depends on if the kid is smart and a hard worker or he's an Ayton type who isn't going to communicate and play hard and run the defence.

Maybe there were other players that left too?

There were but was Hood-Schiffino a difference maker on D? I think the likeliest scenario is that Ware isn't a great anchor on D and so ends up being a meh defender, which is sort of death at center unless he becomes like a prime Vucevic level of player?
Where's the D?
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,718

Post#1509 » by Ell Curry » Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:43 am

Basically tonight I was only really properly locked in to the Marquette-NC State game, so some thoughts on the 2 best NBA guys in that game:

Kolek - Terrible test for him, mostly guarded by a small college PG without elite speed, so a guy that doesn't exist in the NBA. He runs a nice game, easy to see him as a long-time backup PG organizing offences. Passes early up the court well so helps with transition offence getting it to the wings better than most college PGs. Good 3pt shooter. Didn't noticeably get attacked on defence. Not a ton of guys like him running backup point these days, probably for a reason, but he is a quality decision maker and should shoot it well when higher usage guys get doubled. Might have trouble getting to spots against NBA guards. So no new info really. Only a potential pick at #32

Ighodaro - His hands were truly horrifically terrible in this game (Bismack-esque at times) and he has not shot and doesn't protect the rim, but the mobility, switch defending and passing and thinking are all good. He either has to add a shot or more likely, beef up and just become a decent euro-style center living off his passing and mobility on D as a smallball backup center. Did not play like a guy you'd draft in the 2nd round in this game, but some team probably will based on him being smart and mobile and maybe he can beef up or improve his driving since he does give you an extra ballhandler out there so if you have shooters on the wing he makes some sense as a backup center. We can probably do better than him with #32, but he does fit the modern NBA better than the most traditional centers. Probably need him to do a Valanciunas and put on weight, but somehow not lose speed like JV did.
Where's the D?
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant

Post#1510 » by BoyzNTheHood » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:15 pm

Is Knecht the next Adam Morrison? Does Adam Morrison have more success in today’s NBA?
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
manjusaka
Senior
And1: 416

Post#1511 » by manjusaka » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:26 pm

BoyzNTheHood wrote:Is Knecht the next Adam Morrison? Does Adam Morrison have more success in today’s NBA?

Adam Morrison blew his knee early in his NBA career, so who knows…
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant

Post#1512 » by BoyzNTheHood » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:34 pm

manjusaka wrote:
BoyzNTheHood wrote:Is Knecht the next Adam Morrison? Does Adam Morrison have more success in today’s NBA?

Knecht will be over a full year older than Morrison was when they will be picked. Morrison also averaged more on better percentages, which I think is important since you’ll be drafting Knecht to be a scorer. It doesn’t mean that Knecht won’t succeed, it’s just that he’s probably not the prospect Morrison was. It wasn’t wild at all that Morrison was a top 3 pick at the time.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,638

Post#1513 » by Psubs » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:44 pm

BoyzNTheHood wrote:
manjusaka wrote:

Knecht will be over a full year older than Morrison was when they will be picked. Morrison also averaged more on better percentages, which I think is important since you’ll be drafting Knecht to be a scorer. It doesn’t mean that Knecht won’t succeed, it’s just that he’s probably not the prospect Morrison was. It wasn’t wild at all that Morrison was a top 3 pick at the time.

Morrison could put up points but wasn't athletic enough to get open and didn't adjust that well to the NBA distance.
mihaic
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,080

Post#1514 » by mihaic » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:24 pm

Thaddy wrote:I would try a double sign and trade with Trent Jr for PWill. The picks are gonna likely be cheap rotation players, hypothetically let's say it's Reed, Klingan, and Hall.

Barnes - Hall
Williams - Agbaji
Barrett - Dick
IQ - Reed

The Reed and Dick back court can grow over the next 3 years. I could see them being a very good back court against other benches.

I like Klingan as a mobile match up against other guard skilled bigs like Embiid, Jokic, Chet, Wemby, Sarr, and others.

Replace Reed with Topic and I'm in.
mihaic
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,080

Post#1515 » by mihaic » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:33 pm

Ell Curry wrote:Basically tonight I was only really properly locked in to the Marquette-NC State game, so some thoughts on the 2 best NBA guys in that game:

Kolek - Terrible test for him, mostly guarded by a small college PG without elite speed, so a guy that doesn't exist in the NBA. He runs a nice game, easy to see him as a long-time backup PG organizing offences. Passes early up the court well so helps with transition offence getting it to the wings better than most college PGs. Good 3pt shooter. Didn't noticeably get attacked on defence. Not a ton of guys like him running backup point these days, probably for a reason, but he is a quality decision maker and should shoot it well when higher usage guys get doubled. Might have trouble getting to spots against NBA guards. So no new info really. Only a potential pick at #32

Ighodaro - His hands were truly horrifically terrible in this game (Bismack-esque at times) and he has not shot and doesn't protect the rim, but the mobility, switch defending and passing and thinking are all good. He either has to add a shot or more likely, beef up and just become a decent euro-style center living off his passing and mobility on D as a smallball backup center. Did not play like a guy you'd draft in the 2nd round in this game, but some team probably will based on him being smart and mobile and maybe he can beef up or improve his driving since he does give you an extra ballhandler out there so if you have shooters on the wing he makes some sense as a backup center. We can probably do better than him with #32, but he does fit the modern NBA better than the most traditional centers. Probably need him to do a Valanciunas and put on weight, but somehow not lose speed like JV did.

Good assessment!
I saw the same thing.

Ighodaro = 0 on attack, it felt like they played 4 on 5. I wouldn't draft him, based on the 3 games I have seen him.

Kolek was good, probably a McConnell type of impact in NBA. If we still need a PG backup I would be ok to select him at 31/32. Hopefully we luck out into Topic at 4 or 6 though.
UnbelievablyRAW
Analyst
And1: 3,659

Post#1516 » by UnbelievablyRAW » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:40 pm

JShuttlesworth wrote:
UnbelievablyRAW wrote:
Read on Twitter

What does Matas do better than Holland? Be taller? Lol

Have you seen what Holland's shot chart looks like?

....because it's got a lot more blue than Buzelis'

Spoiler:

My point was one has a reputation as a shooter when in reality neither are. Holland at least has his high level athleticism and defense as NBA ready skills whereas Matas isn’t a shooter, can’t really create for himself, isn’t really athletic or quick and needs to play the 4.

I see Matas always above Holland because of his shooting but in reality it’s a swing skill for both
"Above average role player is now being paid like a superstar from one good playoff series. This will end up as one of the worst contracts in the league." paulbball on Pascal Siakam
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,891

Post#1517 » by OAKLEY_2 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:28 pm

DreamTeam09 wrote:Holland reminds of a right handed RJ Barrett. I guess that would be a young Harrison Barnes maybe? I guess that's a good pick up near the top in a weak draft. Both of those guys were top 10.

Sarr
Rischarer
Cody Williams
Holland
Buzelis

Watching Cody Williams slashing ability, potential to be a decent spot up shooter, including making tough off balance shots, his motor ...and the multiple ways he can score the ball, I pick him at 5 or 6 hands down. Not to quote Paul Pierce but I get the sense he has elite tools to take over games and have the it factor.
Thaddy
Analyst
And1: 1,862

Post#1518 » by Thaddy » Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:07 pm

mihaic wrote:
Thaddy wrote:I would try a double sign and trade with Trent Jr for PWill. The picks are gonna likely be cheap rotation players, hypothetically let's say it's Reed, Klingan, and Hall.

Barnes - Hall
Williams - Agbaji
Barrett - Dick
IQ - Reed

Replace Reed with Topic and I'm in.

A guard that can't shoot and doesn't have worldly athleticism won't do great in the NBA
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,638

Post#1519 » by Psubs » Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:11 pm

OAKLEY_2 wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:Holland reminds of a right handed RJ Barrett. I guess that would be a young Harrison Barnes maybe? I guess that's a good pick up near the top in a weak draft. Both of those guys were top 10.

Sarr
Rischarer
Cody Williams
Holland
Buzelis

Watching Cody Williams slashing ability, potential to be a decent spot up shooter, including making tough off balance shots, his motor ...and the multiple ways he can score the ball, I pick him at 5 or 6 hands down. Not to quote Paul Pierce but I get the sense he has elite tools to take over games and have the it factor.

BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant

Post#1520 » by BoyzNTheHood » Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:11 pm

Guys getting healthy and returning to the lineup might mean we lose this pick. We’re not actually tanking, we’ve just had bad luck and an underwhelming roster most of the year. Maybe the basketball gods will reward us for not being deviants.

Return to Toronto Raptors