ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 2

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

planetmars
Sixth Man
And1: 1,437

Re: 2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 2 

Post#1341 » by planetmars » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:38 pm

Who can help me rank these centers? All are potential first round guys. We have two older centers and a third guy who's likely out of the league now. So the Raptors picking up a young center seems probable now (especially if we get 3 picks):

Alexandre Sarr
Kel'el Ware
Donovan Clingan
Kyle Filipowski
Yves Misi
Zach Edey

I've liked Kel'el the most but what do some of you guys think?
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,755

Post#1342 » by ArthurVandelay » Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:24 pm

planetmars wrote:Who can help me rank these centers? All are potential first round guys. We have two older centers and a third guy who's likely out of the league now. So the Raptors picking up a young center seems probable now (especially if we get 3 picks):

Alexandre Sarr
Kel'el Ware
Donovan Clingan
Kyle Filipowski
Yves Misi
Zach Edey

Sarr
Clingan
Filipowski
Ware/Edey
Missi

Every time I start to wonder about Sarr I watch the GLeague games highlights on an nba court with the spacing and less clutching and grabbing with nba rules

I can’t decide between Ware and Edey. Both have red flags but I think gun to my head I go Edey because I know the effort will be there.

I’m not a fan of Missi at all.
ill-Will03
Rookie
And1: 1,409

Post#1343 » by ill-Will03 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:52 am

I think we gotta go with a big now at the pacers pick. Hoping Ware is still there, he kinda reminds me of Lively with a jump shot. I also can’t remember the last time we had a center who was a legit lob threat. Which should help our half court offense immensely.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,884

Post#1344 » by LoveMyRaps » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:57 am

ill-Will03 wrote:I think we gotta go with a big now at the pacers pick. Hoping Ware is still there, he kinda reminds me of Lively with a jump shot. I also can’t remember the last time we had a center who was a legit lob threat. Which should help our half court offense immensely.

Another bad night for our picks. Pacers will avoid play-ins.
We'll be drafting 17th at best.

Was really hoping we'd get a pick in the the 12-15 range. We're gonna be left with crumbs.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
Thaddy
Analyst
And1: 1,862

Post#1345 » by Thaddy » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:35 am

I would go for Sheppard if he checks out athletically. He has all the skills you need from a above average back up point guard. He's got decent size for a two point guard line up too.

The mid first rounder I want a safe pick like PJ Hall. He looks like the white Paul Millsap.

The 2nd should be a project or another safe pick like Holmes. I would personally take Ivisic here, he responded well to coaching this year.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#1346 » by Psubs » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:15 am

Thaddy wrote:I would go for Sheppard if he checks out athletically. He has all the skills you need from a above average back up point guard. He's got decent size for a two point guard line up too.

The mid first rounder I want a safe pick like PJ Hall. He looks like the white Paul Millsap.

The 2nd should be a project or another safe pick like Holmes. I would personally take Ivisic here, he responded well to coaching this year.

PJ Hall will be in play at #31 if that's who they think is BPA. I would take Ivisic at #31 based on potential, even if it takes until he's 25 to see things come together at the NBA level. I can see him play well in the GLeague with him starting.

Sheppard, Tyler Smith (Pacers) and Ivisic would be a nice haul that adds shooting with every pick.
rapz101
Senior
And1: 716

Post#1347 » by rapz101 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:58 am

I don’t follow college ball too much and I’ve only seen highlights which I understand is not much, but I’m not really getting why people are high on Reed Sheppard. Solely going off his highlights he seems like a really good backup guard, nothing extremely special. If someone keeps up with college ball more, can they explain to me what it is about him? Intangibles? Hit a lot of clutch shots?

On this note, other players seem a bit more intriguing and seem to have higher upsides (Castle, Holland, Cody Williams etc.). I’d imagine with the 6th pick we’d be trying to plug a player into our starting lineup somehow.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,574

Post#1348 » by DreamTeam09 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:59 am

https://youtu.be/gAdgYWUo1cY?si=nq5DX3HsftvA5Lfx

Matas Buzelis Szn Highlights

I unno why I was sleeping on him, I wouldn't mind him playing next to Barnes. Looks like he can become a 3level scorer and his IQ isn't a rock, looks like he can pass the ball.

In Raptor Ball I Trust
RoteSchroder
Junior
And1: 205

Post#1349 » by RoteSchroder » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:46 am

rapz101 wrote:I don’t follow college ball too much and I’ve only seen highlights which I understand is not much, but I’m not really getting why people are high on Reed Sheppard. Solely going off his highlights he seems like a really good backup guard, nothing extremely special. If someone keeps up with college ball more, can they explain to me what it is about him? Intangibles? Hit a lot of clutch shots?

On this note, other players seem a bit more intriguing and seem to have higher upsides (Castle, Holland, Cody Williams etc.). I’d imagine with the 6th pick we’d be trying to plug a player into our starting lineup somehow.

I'd definitely be going for a bit more upside with the 1st rounders. Go for the Jimmy Butler's, Scottie Barnes, Kawhi type players there. In the late 1st/early 2nd round, there seems to be a lot of players with potential to make it as a role player. The high upside players in that range have higher bust potential (although I think Hansen Yang might have an ok floor considering his b-ball IQ, size and outperforming Sarr/Risacher/Cody Williams in the U19 World Cup)

So strategically:
High upside/decent floor + high upside/decent floor + role player is better than role player + role player + high upside/high bust
Thaddy
Analyst
And1: 1,862

Post#1350 » by Thaddy » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:39 pm

Buzelis looks slow. He won't be able to play defense at the NBA level, he can't shoot that well from NBA range either, and his movement isn't smooth at all.

This guy is a guaranteed bust.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#1351 » by Psubs » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:44 pm

rapz101 wrote:I don’t follow college ball too much and I’ve only seen highlights which I understand is not much, but I’m not really getting why people are high on Reed Sheppard. Solely going off his highlights he seems like a really good backup guard, nothing extremely special. If someone keeps up with college ball more, can they explain to me what it is about him? Intangibles? Hit a lot of clutch shots?

He shoots like Steve Kerr with Lillard range. Gets steals like John Stockton. Kentucky had a lot of guards so him and Dillingham came off the bench, which should've flipped 3/4 of the way into the season. Sheppard, Dillingham and Reeves should've been the starting backcourt.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#1352 » by Psubs » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:52 pm

ArthurVandelay wrote:
planetmars wrote:Who can help me rank these centers? All are potential first round guys. We have two older centers and a third guy who's likely out of the league now. So the Raptors picking up a young center seems probable now (especially if we get 3 picks):

Alexandre Sarr
Kel'el Ware
Donovan Clingan
Kyle Filipowski
Yves Misi
Zach Edey

Sarr
Clingan
Filipowski
Ware/Edey
Missi

Every time I start to wonder about Sarr I watch the GLeague games highlights on an nba court with the spacing and less clutching and grabbing with nba rules

I can’t decide between Ware and Edey. Both have red flags but I think gun to my head I go Edey because I know the effort will be there.

I’m not a fan of Missi at all.

Sarr/Clingan I think are on par.

Filipowski / Ware I think are on par.

Tyler Smith and Missi I think will be there with the Pacers pick

Edey, Chomche and Holmes would be in the #31 range

As an 18 year old, does he measure at 6'10 without shoes? If so, maybe he grows 1 more inch and be possibly the next Giannis. So raw but possibly has a better chance to have a better 3pt shot than Giannis with 80% FTs.

TimeForChange
Sixth Man
And1: 1,404

Post#1353 » by TimeForChange » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:15 pm

Psubs
RealGM

Post#1354 » by Psubs » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:22 pm

TimeForChange wrote:

Buzelis reminds me of Charlie Villanueva.
TimeForChange
Sixth Man

Post#1355 » by TimeForChange » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:25 pm

Psubs wrote:
TimeForChange wrote:

I can't believe this kid is considered a top prospect in this draft.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#1356 » by Psubs » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:58 pm

Is Dalton Knect a more athletic Austin Reaves?

I recall the head to head battle of Reaves vs Cade and Brandon Miller vs GG Jackson; Reaves and Jackson held their own.

Has Knect faced UConn this season vs Castle? Edit: No they haven't met.... yet.

I can see Knect drop to #16 Philadelphia, who would be good with a plug n play wing for a team that would be back in the top 5 in the east next season.

PG Maxey
SG Knect
SF Paul George
PF Reed
C Embiid
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,574

Post#1357 » by DreamTeam09 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:38 pm

TimeForChange wrote:
Psubs wrote:
TimeForChange wrote:

He looks good, what's wrong with him. He's shown just as much as any other prospect in this draft

In Raptor Ball I Trust
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,284

Post#1358 » by PhilBlackson » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:19 pm

DreamTeam09 wrote:
TimeForChange wrote:
Psubs wrote:

He looks good, what's wrong with him. He's shown just as much as any other prospect in this draft

He just needs to clean up his jumper which is kinda weird because his form really doesn’t look that bad. Maybe it’s just some minor tweaks and repetition.

But if we remain in the top 6, it’s between him & Zach that I’d most like to draft because we really need another forward with OG, Pascal & Precious’ size gone and both of those guys at least have the skill set where they could become great 2nd option types.

If both we’re gone by the time we pick that would suck lol and then my fallbacks would be one of Holland, Sheppard or Salaun (I know might be a bit high but he won’t get past OKC).

Buzelis, Ware and Yang would be a nice haul with our picks imo.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai GA
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,449

Post#1359 » by WuTang_OG » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:51 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

#6 Buzelis
#17 Collier
#31 Klintman

these mocks are all going to be wrong more than past. such a wide range of players for this draft that guys r gonna get picked all over moreso this year than others
TimeForChange
Sixth Man

Post#1360 » by TimeForChange » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:54 pm

DreamTeam09 wrote:
TimeForChange wrote:
Psubs wrote:

he looks fine compared to the others in this draft, unfortunately, that isn't saying much.

things I don't like about his game:

- too small to play inside
- average handle
- average ability to self-create
- his passing is over rated imo

in a regular draft, he is someone you take in the late teens, early 20's of the first round.

Return to Toronto Raptors