ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 2

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,217

Re: 2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 2 

Post#1421 » by Dalek » Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:49 pm

Why I think Clingan is a high lottery pick is that despite the concerns with his feet, he is going to be special in two ways in the NBA.

Obviously we know about the shotblocking and overall defensive IQ, but his second big time skill is passing. I see the shades of Jakob Poeltl, maybe even better:

Read on Twitter

48 assists to 26 turnovers on the year shows me some real hub potential.

I already he thought he a lotto guy last year, but this year he has been even better even if his health has been questionable.
Dalek
RealGM

Post#1422 » by Dalek » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:06 pm

Zach Edey perspectives from Candice Parker and Jay Wright. Shows you how people perceive the kid and his consistent approach.

Read on Twitter
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,448

Post#1423 » by WuTang_OG » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:15 pm

always liked clingan , thought he was going to enter last year
darko likes

Read on Twitter
?s=20
UnbelievablyRAW
Analyst
And1: 3,659

Post#1424 » by UnbelievablyRAW » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:53 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:always liked clingan , thought he was going to enter last year
darko likes

Read on Twitter
?s=20

I think OKC takes him
"Above average role player is now being paid like a superstar from one good playoff series. This will end up as one of the worst contracts in the league." paulbball on Pascal Siakam
Thaddy
Analyst
And1: 1,862

Post#1425 » by Thaddy » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:08 pm

Clingan is a better prospect than Edey but I can see a moron GM taking Edey ahead of him. I would be very happy if we came out with Reed and Clingan in the first round. They would be immediate contributors and have positive value as rookie contracts. This draft is incredibly weak, coming out with a few rotation level bench players would be a homerun.
Thaddy
Analyst
And1: 1,862

Post#1426 » by Thaddy » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:19 pm

Dalek wrote:
Psubs wrote:
Dalek wrote:My summary of the article and with Edey in general is that he is a great but deeply flawed player. He cannot come out of the paint and is susceptible to floaters and will have issues with pick and roll. He is a non-jumpshooter who is around 70% from the freethrow line which doesn't exactly make you think he has another leap in him as a shooter.

The most damning thing is that over his entire career he has a negative assist-to-turnover ratio. When you watch him pass they are usually quick, short-range hits to cutters, no kick outs to corners, no probing options.

He does come in with elite size and strength and a simple but effective post game. I was surprised to find out he is only 21 - so he has a lot of time to further develop. I am very curious about how good it will be for him in the NBA with spacing - maybe too unstoppable even for Wemby.

I think if we end up with three picks there is zero chance Toronto will pass on him with that Indy pick.

What I think is ultimately it is a benefit to have an Edey because it is an arms race in the NBA. Joel Embiid, Jokic are the past two MVPs, and now we have Wemby. You need size to compete for a title, so Edey as a dominant big will help change the dynamic for Toronto. At worst I think he is going to be Jonas Valancuinas level of impact, which is going to at least create a credible bench threat.

The problem is our style of play currently, just doesn't fit him. If we dumped Darko ball for more of grinding Thibs ball, we would have something.

The Knicks should take him with #21 or 22. Sarr, Clingan, Filipowski, then Ware and Edey. Edey needs a right situation to be a starter.

I do rate the C prospects similarly to you. For Toronto I really like Sarr, Clingan (better defender and passer than Edey), and I am on the fence with Flip and Ware. Flip I think is a PF and not a full time C, but maybe in a high pace offense like Toronto it could work. Ware I put below Edey. I think Zach will have a more successful career.

Honestly, with better training Edey can be a starter - he just needs to work on becoming a hub on offense to unlock more to his game. I keep thinking about how much I liked Sengun back in 2021 but everyone was thinking his slowish feet and small wingspan and lack of jumper would limit him in the NBA, and now he well-outplayed his draft slot 16 (similar to where Toronto would draft Edey). Edey is just as dominant - if not more than Sengun - going into the draft. Is it overthinking about whether Edey can be a success?

Edey has a negative assist to turnover ratio. That isn't turning into a hub.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,889

Post#1427 » by OAKLEY_2 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:25 pm

Thaddy wrote:
Dalek wrote:
Psubs wrote:
The Knicks should take him with #21 or 22. Sarr, Clingan, Filipowski, then Ware and Edey. Edey needs a right situation to be a starter.

I do rate the C prospects similarly to you. For Toronto I really like Sarr, Clingan (better defender and passer than Edey), and I am on the fence with Flip and Ware. Flip I think is a PF and not a full time C, but maybe in a high pace offense like Toronto it could work. Ware I put below Edey. I think Zach will have a more successful career.

Honestly, with better training Edey can be a starter - he just needs to work on becoming a hub on offense to unlock more to his game. I keep thinking about how much I liked Sengun back in 2021 but everyone was thinking his slowish feet and small wingspan and lack of jumper would limit him in the NBA, and now he well-outplayed his draft slot 16 (similar to where Toronto would draft Edey). Edey is just as dominant - if not more than Sengun - going into the draft. Is it overthinking about whether Edey can be a success?

What will hurt Edey is how many multiple skillset centres are poised to go in the first round. He might fall to 31 or beyond once workouts are done. We should def save that 31 for frefalling centres like him. So many 6'8 or 6'9 wings that if Raptors get 6 and 18 then could be looking at Cody Williams at 6 and pick from the guard crop of Devin Carter, Jared McCain or Ja'Kobe Walter solidifying guard depth behind Quickley. Ja'Kobe sounds like a Masai pick.
Dalek
RealGM

Post#1428 » by Dalek » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:44 pm

Thaddy wrote:
Dalek wrote:
Psubs wrote:

Yes, I know the college passing results are not great, but he is also facing double and triple teams and has like 30% usage which is going to go down in the NBA.

Overall, as a big guy he has nice touch and I think the passing will be better with NBA spacing and experience. I don't know how much college ball you watch, but these teams have 3 people in the paint all the time with Edey, so he has it tough. That said, he has to adapt to making faster decisions when he hits the NBA because the doubles will come fast and right now he seems a half beat slow to react.
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM
And1: 7,727

Post#1429 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:20 pm

Dalek wrote:
Thaddy wrote:
Dalek wrote:

Yes, I know the college passing results are not great, but he is also facing double and triple teams and has like 30% usage which is going to go down in the NBA.

Overall, as a big guy he has nice touch and I think the passing will be better with NBA spacing and experience. I don't know how much college ball you watch, but these teams have 3 people in the paint all the time with Edey, so he has it tough. That said, he has to adapt to making faster decisions when he hits the NBA because the doubles will come fast and right now he seems a half beat slow to react.

Why would you want a 7'5" 300lb C to pass the ball out? That's an automatic and1 from 12 feet and in. He's shooting 63% from the field.
cdel00
Head Coach
And1: 423

Post#1430 » by cdel00 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:20 am

Loving how Stephon Castle plays the game, would be happy to see him along side Scotty
bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,498

Post#1431 » by bballsparkin » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:26 am

SVG agrees with those of you in favour of Castle. For as "bad" as this draft is, a top 6 pick gets you a shot at Topic, Reed, Castle and Dillingham.
Yallbecrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,705

Post#1432 » by Yallbecrazy » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:34 am

Harcore Fenton Mun wrote:
Dalek wrote:
Thaddy wrote:Edey has a negative assist to turnover ratio. That isn't turning into a hub.

Why would you want a 7'5" 300lb C to pass the ball out? That's an automatic and1 from 12 feet and in. He's shooting 63% from the field.

Because he will get doubled and you need to know how to pass vs a double team as a centre or it's an auto turnover. The doubles will come from different directions, watch how Nurse exploited JV when he played against us. Doubles coming from different spots every time until he was mercifully substituted.
Mark_83
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,206

Post#1433 » by Mark_83 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:34 am

Trade question: if the Raps the 6th pick would you move it in a trade for a young player like Patrick Williams who Chicago did not extend because he was asking for 20+ million? Accelerates the retool/rebuild by giving us a young OG replacement who can defend and shoot.
canada_dry
Head Coach
And1: 5,281

Post#1434 » by canada_dry » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:37 am

Mark_83 wrote:Trade question: if the Raps the 6th pick would you move it in a trade for a young player like Patrick Williams who Chicago did not extend because he was asking for 20+ million? Accelerates the retool/rebuild by giving us a young OG replacement who can defend and shoot.
Hes arguably worth a middle to late 1st pick at best. Not 6th. Absolutely not.

Sent from my SM-G960W using RealGM mobile app
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,735

Post#1435 » by BoyzNTheHood » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:42 am

Mark_83 wrote:Trade question: if the Raps the 6th pick would you move it in a trade for a young player like Patrick Williams who Chicago did not extend because he was asking for 20+ million? Accelerates the retool/rebuild by giving us a young OG replacement who can defend and shoot.

deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,459

Post#1436 » by aminiaturebuddha » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:53 am

I'm glad that Clemson beat Arizona just because I want another look at PJ Hall. I've had him on a personal long list of guys to potentially take a look at with the #31 pick. He did some good things in tonight's game, but also had some sloppy plays and turnovers that I didn't like.

Like a lot of players his shooting will be key. For a big, he's got a very quick release, which should mean that he doesn't just need to be a wide open spot up shooter at the next level. The question is if he can make enough of them.

He was shooting better from 3 earlier in the year, but really fell off in the second half of the season and ended at 32%. Part of that might be that he's a focal point of Clemson's offence, and probably forces a few shots that he won't need to in the NBA. But at some point he'll need to prove that his shooting is more than just theoretical.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,448

Post#1437 » by WuTang_OG » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:56 am

what a beating by UConn
Mark_83
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,206

Post#1438 » by Mark_83 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:02 am

canada_dry wrote:

Middle to late 1st in this draft? So you think he's worth a late 1st to early second in a normal draft?
canada_dry
Head Coach
And1: 5,281

Post#1439 » by canada_dry » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:06 am

Mark_83 wrote:
canada_dry wrote:

Middle to late 1st in this draft? So you think he's worth a late 1st to early second in a normal draft?
I certainly dont think hes worth a lottery pick in any draft, especially one just outside the top 5.

TNRaps4life
Sixth Man
And1: 901

Post#1440 » by TNRaps4life » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:16 am

My sleeper pick for #6.
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Return to Toronto Raptors