ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 2

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,458

2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 2 

Post#1 » by WuTang_OG » Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:44 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Read on Twitter
?s=20
RealGM
And1: 66,481

Re: 2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 2 

Post#2 » by 720 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:56 pm

My mind has been on the 2025 draft for awhile now. I haven’t done any research on this year’s draft tbh (hopefully our Indy pick gets us something solid).
REJECTEDBYCLARK
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,710

Post#3 » by REJECTEDBYCLARK » Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:58 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

I'm keeping my eye on Isaiah Evans, everyone projecting him in the teens but he has great offensive potential could be a big riser. Love seeing Maluach at 3.
billy_hoyle
Sixth Man
And1: 1,138

Post#4 » by billy_hoyle » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:13 pm

REJECTEDBYCLARK wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

I'm keeping my eye on Isaiah Evans, everyone projecting him in the teens but he has great offensive potential could be a big riser. Love seeing Maluach at 3.

Why do you love seeing Maluach at 3?

You dislike him, and want him to push other prospects down?
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,458

Post#5 » by WuTang_OG » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:22 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
REJECTEDBYCLARK
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by REJECTEDBYCLARK » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:23 pm

billy_hoyle wrote:
REJECTEDBYCLARK wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

No, because I love him and this is the first mock I see him going this high and he deserves that kind of respect.
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#7 » by Indeed » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:30 pm

REJECTEDBYCLARK wrote:A ton of condensed Tyson highlights from last year at Texas Tech including a nice fadeaway jumpshot over the Dickster.

Change of pace at 0:57 is amazing, Barlowe says he knows his trainer and clearly his trainer is doing wonders for him. I can only imagine what else he can add to his game with time.

Aggressive hop-step at 1:06 nice too.

Bank shots, stepback moves.... this guy definitely has a bag to develop.

The problem I have with Jaylon Tyson is his lack of quickness. He seems to be more a PF on defense, while not big enough to be a PF, and not quick enough to be a SF.

His ability to get to the rim, sometimes make the right pass and somewhat capable shooter from 3, but his lack of defensive position is a concern to me.

Jerry Lucas
Pro Prospect
And1: 773

Post#8 » by Jerry Lucas » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:31 pm

REJECTEDBYCLARK wrote:
billy_hoyle wrote:
REJECTEDBYCLARK wrote:

No, because I love him and this is the first mock I see him going this high and he deserves that kind of respect.

Agreed, also a big fan of Maluach and kind of disappointed that with him already being ranked 3rd, Givony didn't call it a 3 headed monster at the top of the draft, and instead focused on Flagg and Bailey (also fans of both of them too just think Maluach also deserves that level of respect as a prospect).
Tre Mann should have been a Top 10 Pick in the 2021 Draft

Team Find The Next Superstar Closer
Mark_83
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,206

Post#9 » by Mark_83 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:09 pm

I like the name Maluach cause it sounds like Mollywop. :biggrin:

;pp=ygUNbW9sbHl3b3AgdG1udA%3D%3D
REJECTEDBYCLARK
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by REJECTEDBYCLARK » Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:14 pm

Indeed wrote:
REJECTEDBYCLARK wrote:A ton of condensed Tyson highlights from last year at Texas Tech including a nice fadeaway jumpshot over the Dickster.

Change of pace at 0:57 is amazing, Barlowe says he knows his trainer and clearly his trainer is doing wonders for him. I can only imagine what else he can add to his game with time.

The problem I have with Jaylon Tyson is his lack of quickness. He seems to be more a PF on defense, while not big enough to be a PF, and not quick enough to be a SF.

His ability to get to the rim, sometimes make the right pass and somewhat capable shooter from 3, but his lack of defensive position is a concern to me.

A good observation. I have a problem with a ton of guys this draft so for me the willingness and interest to defend is there which counts for a lot. I'm a guy who buys into that more than guys with measurables and "defensive potential" who really have to be prodded to move and produce on D. There are many NBA SGs SFs and PFs that I can imagine him being able to deal with quite well while others you worry about him potentially getting beat off the dribble and not recovering. Really depends on the matchup. Overall you're right and it's unfortunate that he has a bit of an unconventional build but I'm not sure how detrimental it will be.
Bruin
RealGM
And1: 38,627

Post#11 » by Bruin » Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:22 pm

Khaman Maluach is expected to announce where’s going to college within a week or 2

Nice to see him get some respect in the mock drafts
Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,942

Post#12 » by Kevin Willis » Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:27 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Read on Twitter
?s=20

2025 draft is tasty.
Ska needs to make a comeback.
REJECTEDBYCLARK
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by REJECTEDBYCLARK » Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:28 pm

Jerry Lucas wrote:
REJECTEDBYCLARK wrote:
billy_hoyle wrote:

Agreed, also a big fan of Maluach and kind of disappointed that with him already being ranked 3rd, Givony didn't call it a 3 headed monster at the top of the draft, and instead focused on Flagg and Bailey (also fans of both of them too just think Maluach also deserves that level of respect as a prospect).

Maluach is so mature for his age the way he speaks and carries himself. I'm rooting for him because the raw tools are awesome. Shot looks very good. Has only been playing ball for 4.5 years so it'll likely be hard for him to produce in college like some of these other top guys but if you believe in his upside you take him very early.
REJECTEDBYCLARK
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by REJECTEDBYCLARK » Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:28 pm

Bruin wrote:Khaman Maluach is expected to announce where’s going to college within a week or 2

Imagine he ends up at UCLA 8-)
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,219

Post#15 » by Dalek » Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:48 pm

I remember PJ Hall from the draft cycle last year as he was pretty good in the elite camp. The more film I watch of PJ Hall, including his interviews, the more I like him for Toronto. He is a cross between Tyler Hansbrough and Kelly Olynyk with possibly better defense.

He is a tough guy to place in the draft because I think he is mostly considered a second rounder, but to me the athleticism and physicality really pop for me given he is 6'10 and about 240 lbs he just looks like an NBA guy.

Pluses
Deep NBA range
Decisive pick and pop
Hard screen setter
Switchable defensive ability

Concerns:
A bit of a chucker from range in college, but last year on lower volume he shot 39% from three
Weak rebounding numbers might be due to being beside a traditional C
Knee surgery last year due to dislocated knee cap, minor foot injuries too

There is a real competitor/confidence that comes across with PJ Hall. He has toughness that I think will keep him in the league.
REJECTEDBYCLARK
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by REJECTEDBYCLARK » Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:50 pm

Dalek wrote:I remember PJ Hall from the draft cycle last year as he was pretty good in the elite camp. The more film I watch of PJ Hall, including his interviews, the more I like him for Toronto. He is a cross between Tyler Hansbrough and Kelly Olynyk with possibly better defense.

He is a tough guy to place in the draft because I think he is mostly considered a second rounder, but to me the athleticism and physicality really pop for me given he is 6'10 and about 240 lbs he just looks like an NBA guy.

Pluses
Deep NBA range
Decisive pick and pop
Hard screen setter
Switchable defensive ability

Concerns:
A bit of a chucker from range in college, but last year on lower volume he shot 39% from three
Weak rebounding numbers might be due to being beside a traditional C
Knee surgery last year due to dislocated knee cap, minor foot injuries too

There is a real competitor/confidence that comes across with PJ Hall. He has toughness that I think will keep him in the league.

Hall is one of the guys I feel strongly about, I think he's highly overrated and a DND for me.

For a bit of explanation I watched 3 full games this year TCU and both Miami FL games and came away super unimpressed. He looks decent in the condensed highlights but when you watch full games you're scratching your head sometimes at his gameplay and body language.
Bruin
RealGM
And1: 38,627

Post#17 » by Bruin » Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:57 pm

REJECTEDBYCLARK wrote:
Bruin wrote:Khaman Maluach is expected to announce where’s going to college within a week or 2

Imagine he ends up at UCLA 8-)

Fingers crossed hahah. He just wrapped up his final visit at UCLA this weekend. Unfortunately UCLA doesn’t have as much NIL to offer as Duke, Kentucky, and Kansas.

The main draw for UCLA in this recruitment is the fact that UCLA has been recruiting Khaman longer than the other schools and LA is generally a better place for international guys. Not sure how much Khaman cares about that though.

Another plus is that his Head coach in NBA Academy Africa is a former UCLA star, Alfred Aboya. Hopefully he can help close the deal lol

I’ve got season tickets so would be awesome to watch him play live all next year
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#18 » by Indeed » Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:01 pm

REJECTEDBYCLARK wrote:
Indeed wrote:

A good observation. I have a problem with a ton of guys this draft so for me the willingness and interest to defend is there which counts for a lot. I'm a guy who buys into that more than guys with measurables and "defensive potential" who really have to be prodded to move and produce on D. There are many NBA SGs SFs and PFs that I can imagine him being able to deal with quite well while others you worry about him potentially getting beat off the dribble and not recovering. Really depends on the matchup. Overall you're right and it's unfortunate that he has a bit of an unconventional build but I'm not sure how detrimental it will be.

I think some teams will consider him in the low 1st, and it will be a guarantee contract (play him minutes). Particularly if we are a playoff team and need immediate help with a cheap contract.

Mid 1st is a bit too high for me to pick him, while high 2nd can be a 2-way contract, which would be best for a high risk high ceiling and send him to our G-League. Furthermore, I don't see Barnes being an elite rim protector where everyone wouldn't drive against us, so I don't really see the fit. This is the reason I look for defensive wing (and perhaps the reason we traded for Agbaji).
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,219

Post#19 » by Dalek » Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:16 pm

REJECTEDBYCLARK wrote:
Dalek wrote:I remember PJ Hall from the draft cycle last year as he was pretty good in the elite camp. The more film I watch of PJ Hall, including his interviews, the more I like him for Toronto. He is a cross between Tyler Hansbrough and Kelly Olynyk with possibly better defense.

Hall is one of the guys I feel strongly about, I think he's highly overrated and a DND for me.

For a bit of explanation I watched 3 full games this year TCU and both Miami FL games and came away super unimpressed. He looks decent in the condensed highlights but when you watch full games you're scratching your head sometimes at his gameplay and body language.

I will have to check out more film on him, but he did have some big games against UNC, Alabama and Duke this year. His last game against UNC he really took it to Bacot who is a strong defensive big. I will say his foul trouble takes him out of a lot of games, but I think that his game is predicated on how aggressive he is on both ends and for the most part he can help a team in a bench role.

I have to find examples of what you mean about the body language - he seems like a guy who is always fired up. I guess I haven't seen the downside.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,635

Post#20 » by Psubs » Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:28 pm

Dalek wrote:
REJECTEDBYCLARK wrote:

I will have to check out more film on him, but he did have some big games against UNC, Alabama and Duke this year. His last game against UNC he really took it to Bacot who is a strong defensive big. I will say his foul trouble takes him out of a lot of games, but I think that his game is predicated on how aggressive he is on both ends and for the most part he can help a team in a bench role.

I have to find examples of what you mean about the body language - he seems like a guy who is always fired up. I guess I haven't seen the downside.

Is PJ Hall a Luka Garza type prospect? I guess really tough for them to make it but might be a good bench depth player as a 3rd PF/C. Maybe like a Jaylin Williams or Trayce Jackson-Davis?

Return to Toronto Raptors