ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 2

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 32,928

Re: 2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 2 

Post#1301 » by Reeko » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:10 am

RoteSchroder wrote:
Reeko wrote:
RoteSchroder wrote:Draft order is Castle > Holland > Risacher > Cody for me atm

More inclined to go for upside/higher potential with at least 2 out of the 3 picks (assuming we don't convey)

Honestly I don't get the Castle hype.

He's being used as a connector on O and defender at UConn. I see his role in the NBA as an SG.

Out of the 4, he's the best passer/playmaker. 2nd best first step/explosiveness. Top 2 defender. Maybe #1 in b-ball IQ.

Major thing he's lacking is a jump shot, which is a make or break skill.

If you look at his plays, every defender is giving him 2-3 feet of space or going under screens because he's not a good shooter. That's how every single team is playing him. Major polishing on his jumper would open things up a lot and at the moment, I don't see any major red flags at preventing him from improving his shot.

Castle's also good at evaluating during his drives, he can pull up for a mid-range shot, pass, continue to the basket, go for a floater. Holland plays with a little less control during his drives and needs to slow down at times. Risacher is more of a straight line driver. Williams just tends to drive near the basket for a floater, but usually doesn't get all the way to the rim. None of them have reached the same level of court vision as Castle either.

After watching some more film of Castle I will say that I like the way he moves with the ball, kind of reminds me of Wade in the way that he's able to navigate in tight spaces. With so little scouting material available online it's much harder for me to get a feel for these prospects as I don't watch full games, so I'm relying on highlights, stats, and whatever little scouting reports there are on these guys.
Clay Davis wrote:COMPOSED ONLY OF THE COOLEST WOMEN AND THE HOTTEST GUYS, THE TORONTO RAPTORS REALGM BOARD HAS LONG BEEN KNOWN FOR ITS HIGH-QUALITY DISCUSSION, PASSIONATE LOYALTY, TEMPERATE CELEBRATIONS OF VICTORY, AND GRACE IN DEFEAT.
Thaddy
Analyst
And1: 1,862

Post#1302 » by Thaddy » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:19 am

Reeko wrote:
RoteSchroder wrote:
Reeko wrote:Honestly I don't get the Castle hype.

He's being used as a connector on O and defender at UConn. I see his role in the NBA as an SG.

Out of the 4, he's the best passer/playmaker. 2nd best first step/explosiveness. Top 2 defender. Maybe #1 in b-ball IQ.

If you look at his plays, every defender is giving him 2-3 feet of space or going under screens because he's not a good shooter. That's how every single team is playing him. Major polishing on his jumper would open things up a lot and at the moment, I don't see any major red flags at preventing him from improving his shot.

Castle's also good at evaluating during his drives, he can pull up for a mid-range shot, pass, continue to the basket, go for a floater. Holland plays with a little less control during his drives and needs to slow down at times. Risacher is more of a straight line driver. Williams just tends to drive near the basket for a floater, but usually doesn't get all the way to the rim. None of them have reached the same level of court vision as Castle either.

After watching some more film of Castle I will say that I like the way he moves with the ball, kind of reminds me of Wade in the way that he's able to navigate in tight spaces. With so little scouting material available online it's much harder for me to get a feel for these prospects as I don't watch full games, so I'm relying on highlights, stats, and whatever little scouting reports there are on these guys.

In the current state of the NBA a guard sized player that can't shoot well won't really do that good. I'm not a fan of Castle, if he's relying on a non-finesse game how well can that transfer over to a bigger, more athletic, and stronger league. Cody Williams has a higher likelihood of turning into an Ingram level player. He has finesse and gaining weight at his height and baseline seems likely.
XTC
Head Coach
And1: 6,263

Post#1303 » by XTC » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:22 am

Reeko wrote:
RoteSchroder wrote:
Reeko wrote:Honestly I don't get the Castle hype.

Castle is super hard to gauge. You either love him or hate him. The best comparision I can come up with is Jimmy Butler before he became an allstar, or maybe Alex Caruso. If he learns to shoot at even an average level he could carve out a career similiar to Andre Iguodala. His best attribute will always be his defense, he's a menace on ball, and his ability to be a secondary ball handler. His potential is super dependant on him becoming a better shooter, but man if he learns to shoot, his game is going to open up.
Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#1304 » by Reeko » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:27 am

Thaddy wrote:
Reeko wrote:
RoteSchroder wrote:

In the current state of the NBA a guard sized player that can't shoot well won't really do that good. I'm not a fan of Castle, if he's relying on a non-finesse game how well can that transfer over to a bigger, more athletic, and stronger league. Cody Williams has a higher likelihood of turning into an Ingram level player. He has finesse and gaining weight at his height and baseline seems likely.

It's such a hard draft to gauge guys. Only guy I'm really high on is Sheppard, but even he could turn out to just be a really good bench player. If we keep our pick I'm just going to trust that the FO has picked the best prospect available. If there was ever a year where I hoped we did not land the 1st overall pick, it would be this year.
Clay Davis wrote:COMPOSED ONLY OF THE COOLEST WOMEN AND THE HOTTEST GUYS, THE TORONTO RAPTORS REALGM BOARD HAS LONG BEEN KNOWN FOR ITS HIGH-QUALITY DISCUSSION, PASSIONATE LOYALTY, TEMPERATE CELEBRATIONS OF VICTORY, AND GRACE IN DEFEAT.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,455

Post#1305 » by WuTang_OG » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:22 pm

I see a Zubac type player for Edey. He moves as well as you could at his size, nimble enough at 7'4"
Passing much improved

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,634

Post#1306 » by Psubs » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:28 pm

XTC wrote:
Reeko wrote:
RoteSchroder wrote:

Castle is super hard to gauge. You either love him or hate him. The best comparision I can come up with is Jimmy Butler before he became an allstar, or maybe Alex Caruso. If he learns to shoot at even an average level he could carve out a career similiar to Andre Iguodala. His best attribute will always be his defense, he's a menace on ball, and his ability to be a secondary ball handler. His potential is super dependant on him becoming a better shooter, but man if he learns to shoot, his game is going to open up.

I feel like the Jimmy Butler comp was better for Holland. I think Castle is more like Wade; taller but less athletic. Wade I believe had 2 triple doubles his final year, which if Castle would stay for another year might be able to accomplish with his good A/T.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#1307 » by Psubs » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:29 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:I see a Zubac type player for Edey. He moves as well as you could at his size, nimble enough at 7'4"
Passing much improved

Read on Twitter
?s=20

I've been saying this since last season. A 7'4 Zubac.
Thaddy
Analyst
And1: 1,862

Post#1308 » by Thaddy » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:40 pm

Psubs wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:I see a Zubac type player for Edey. He moves as well as you could at his size, nimble enough at 7'4"
Passing much improved

Read on Twitter
?s=20

I've been saying this since last season. A 7'4 Zubac.

So less mobile and athletic than Zubac?
XTC
Head Coach
And1: 6,263

Post#1309 » by XTC » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:44 pm

Psubs wrote:
XTC wrote:
Reeko wrote:After watching some more film of Castle I will say that I like the way he moves with the ball, kind of reminds me of Wade in the way that he's able to navigate in tight spaces. With so little scouting material available online it's much harder for me to get a feel for these prospects as I don't watch full games, so I'm relying on highlights, stats, and whatever little scouting reports there are on these guys.

I feel like the Jimmy Butler comp was better for Holland. I think Castle is more like Wade; taller but less athletic. Wade I believe had 2 triple doubles his final year, which if Castle would stay for another year might be able to accomplish with his good A/T.

Holland really reminds me of Gerald Wallace. His motor is relentless.
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,735

Post#1310 » by BoyzNTheHood » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:59 pm

XTC wrote:
Psubs wrote:
XTC wrote:

Holland and Castle both having top tier motors is something I can get behind. Those types of guys usually find a way, especially when you’re as talented as those two.
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#1311 » by Psubs » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:09 pm

BoyzNTheHood wrote:
XTC wrote:
Psubs wrote:

Holland and Castle both having top tier motors is something I can get behind. Those types of guys usually find a way, especially when you’re as talented as those two.

I like how Castle takes contact and quickly counters or finishes through it. I guess both would be adding similar to Barrett. Holland with more steals and blocks or Castle with more playmaking.
manjusaka
Senior
And1: 416

Post#1312 » by manjusaka » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:18 pm

Psubs wrote:
XTC wrote:
Reeko wrote:After watching some more film of Castle I will say that I like the way he moves with the ball, kind of reminds me of Wade in the way that he's able to navigate in tight spaces. With so little scouting material available online it's much harder for me to get a feel for these prospects as I don't watch full games, so I'm relying on highlights, stats, and whatever little scouting reports there are on these guys.

Norman Powell was shooting .456/.319/.751 as a senior at UCLA. Somehow he improved his FT in his rookie season to 80% and never looked back. His 3 became a consistent weapon in year 4.

Jalen Suggs was shooting .503/.337/.754 as a freshman at Gonzaga. His 3p is finally falling this year.

Both Norm and Suggs are good defenders. If Castle can improve his shooting, those are the development curves examples. If he can’t improve his shooting, just check out Suggs and Scoots rookie year shooting percentages.
grant101
Pro Prospect
And1: 552

Post#1313 » by grant101 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:20 pm

Psubs wrote:
BoyzNTheHood wrote:
XTC wrote:

I like how Castle takes contact and quickly counters or finishes through it. I guess both would be adding similar to Barrett. Holland with more steals and blocks or Castle with more playmaking.

I agree with this. It's why I love the idea of Castle next to Quickley. He can bear more of the playmaking responsibilities and guard the bigger/tougher SGs - allows Quickley to focus on what he's best at and to take more of his threes off the catch.
Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#1314 » by Reeko » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:08 pm

XTC wrote:
Psubs wrote:
XTC wrote:

Holland seems to be more athletic with a way better handle.
Yeezus_
RealGM
And1: 13,741

Post#1315 » by Yeezus_ » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:27 pm

ItsDanger wrote:
Yeezus_ wrote:When I watch Edey, I see a skilled big man but also one that's slow footed. Isn't that going to limit him in the NBA when footspeed for a big is one of the biggest things that keep them on the floor? I dont get the rise in his stock, hoping someone can explain it to me.

Read on Twitter

His speed is similar to many other bigs in NBA. In college, he has to pace himself to play 30-35 (out of 40) minutes every game while staying out of foul trouble. This clip is after playing the first 15 minutes of game, no rest.

Running isnt really showing much for his actual lateral quickness and footspeed playing defense or when he has the ball though. In any case, hoping he turns out to be great.
Yeezy SZN approaching
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,059

Post#1316 » by ItsDanger » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:32 pm

Yeezus_ wrote:
ItsDanger wrote:
Yeezus_ wrote:When I watch Edey, I see a skilled big man but also one that's slow footed. Isn't that going to limit him in the NBA when footspeed for a big is one of the biggest things that keep them on the floor? I dont get the rise in his stock, hoping someone can explain it to me.

Read on Twitter

His speed is similar to many other bigs in NBA. In college, he has to pace himself to play 30-35 (out of 40) minutes every game while staying out of foul trouble. This clip is after playing the first 15 minutes of game, no rest.

Running isnt really showing much for his actual lateral quickness and footspeed playing defense or when he has the ball though. In any case, hoping he turns out to be great.

Lane agility combine last year is similar to other bigs also. Basically has same defensive issues as many other C's in the league starting today. Playing a switch everything defensive style is a choice.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,574

Post#1317 » by DreamTeam09 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:58 pm

Castle nor Holland don't have more potential than Zach.

For me as far as Raps fan, my big board looks like

Zach
Sarr
Cody
Topic
Castle/Daulton
Holland
Ware
Collier

To me only Zach Sarr Daulton Holland have some path to Starter for us

In Raptor Ball I Trust
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,574

Post#1318 » by DreamTeam09 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:07 pm

Really I want to leave the draft with Zach & Salaun , but I'll take Salaun & Keyshawn George with the Det pick. Gotta leave this draft with a wing prospect.

In Raptor Ball I Trust
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,735

Post#1319 » by BoyzNTheHood » Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:37 pm

DreamTeam09 wrote:Castle nor Holland don't have more potential than Zach.

For me as far as Raps fan, my big board looks like

Zach
Sarr
Cody
Topic
Castle/Daulton
Holland
Ware
Collier

To me only Zach Sarr Daulton Holland have some path to Starter for us

In the modern NBA no one is taking Edey over Castle or Holland, and potential wise it doesn’t matter the era, Holland and Castle have more than Edey. He’s closer to a finished product, where as they have a lot of growing to do.
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,962

Post#1320 » by ATLTimekeeper » Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:47 pm

I think what I see in Edey is someone whose being doubted based on his ability to translate. If he translated to the NBA, he would be dominant and it would be highly improbable that any prospect in this draft could exceed him. Well worth the risk at the Indy pick, imo.

Return to Toronto Raptors